The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 3: July 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catherine shopping in Wales wearing the same purple jumper she wore last week matched with a scarf, dark pants and hair in a bun.

Kate Middleton Shopping In North Wales Pictures

I think the darker wash jeans look a lot better with the sweater. Really like this particular outfit (and the fact that the weather is cool enough to be dressed like that...it's a scorcher here in NYC).

I have a VW dress and it's absolutely beautiful, so classic and nothing like Eugenie's monstrous royal wedding creation. She has a point about Kate's eyeliner, which to be frank is pretty bad. She looked so beautiful on her wedding day but her eyes were rimmed with thick black eyeliner and she was wearing way too much blusher. Sometimes her face is also really shiny. I just don't get why she wears so much make up.

As for the fashion, I'm a bit sceptical because before the engagement I always thought she dressed in a very mumsy, passé way: lots of tweed, long skirts, plain jewellery, wide jeans, brown knee-length boots, UGGs, cardis. She must have been working with personal shoppers or image consultants because since becoming engaged she's magically transformed into a human Barbie (I've heard that's Zara's nickname for her), with short skirts and huge glossy hair and a tan and brilliant white teeth and all the perfect fashion choices that were so not her style. She looks nice, but anyone can look nice with the time, money, and help that she's getting. Her everyday style is nothing special: if I could afford it I'd also wear skinny jeans, flats, and a Ralph Lauren jumper. I'd like to see her be a bit more inventive and just tone down on the make up.

I have a VW dress and it's absolutely beautiful, so classic and nothing like Eugenie's monstrous royal wedding creation. She has a point about Kate's eyeliner, which to be frank is pretty bad. She looked so beautiful on her wedding day but her eyes were rimmed with thick black eyeliner and she was wearing way too much blusher. Sometimes her face is also really shiny. I just don't get why she wears so much make up.

As for the fashion, I'm a bit sceptical because before the engagement I always thought she dressed in a very mumsy, passé way: lots of tweed, long skirts, plain jewellery, wide jeans, brown knee-length boots, UGGs, cardis. She must have been working with personal shoppers or image consultants because since becoming engaged she's magically transformed into a human Barbie (I've heard that's Zara's nickname for her), with short skirts and huge glossy hair and a tan and brilliant white teeth and all the perfect fashion choices that were so not her style. She looks nice, but anyone can look nice with the time, money, and help that she's getting. Her everyday style is nothing special: if I could afford it I'd also wear skinny jeans, flats, and a Ralph Lauren jumper. I'd like to see her be a bit more inventive and just tone down on the make up.

If that statement is truly the case then my opinion of Zara would plummet drastically, for certainly she would have to be aware that a statement like that would get around. Could you quote a source for that comment please?

Princess of Durham said:
If that statement is truly the case then my opinion of Zara would plummet drastically, for certainly she would have to be aware that a statement like that would get around. Could you quote a source for that comment please?

It was only in the Daily Mail so it's most likely not true, but it made me laugh because I can imagine Zara joking about her in that way. If she did say it though, I'm not sure she would have realised that it would become public. After all, tabloids use all kinds of unscrupulous means to get their stories..

Im not sure why the backlash at VW since many of us here agree and have discussed many times that Kate's eye make up is indeed too heavy.

THANK YOU. I don't get it either. Westwood spoke her opinion and wasn't mean about it at all. Kate's eyeliner is too much and she her style is average, there's nothing wrong with average.

Anyway I still have this tingling feeling that she had tattooed eyeliner and she draws a thicker line over it every time. You could see the close up Calgary picture in the Mail Online VW article, her usual thick eyeliner was gone (maybe she did not draw it in full here) but the thin one is still there perfectly circling around her eye - too perfect to be hand drawn I think. And this maybe the reason why she prefer to do her own make-up even on her special day - she may not want a outsider to know that she has tattooed eyeliner.

Interesting thought. I've been puzzled by it because one would expect that there just would be some days she wouldn't bother - we all have those days. I've had another thought.

Many years back I sold make-up - a very strange thing for me to do since I don't wear it much myself - but so it was. I went to seminars on application and all that - remember none of it and am no wiser because of it - but I noticed a phenomenon happening with the women regarding their make-up. The women who had been selling make-up the longest invariably had the heaviest make-up. It seemed to me that as time wore on, after applying make-up day-after-day, the ideal one is striving for becomes ever more elusive as the skin ages (however mildly) and the face alters. The result is the women began to apply more and more make-up to sustain the illusory image (in their minds) that they had with just a dash of make-up when they were 18.

There is also the phenomenon of women never varying from the 'look' they had in their hey-day, or when the man they fell in love with first saw them (I speak from experience on this one - if my man liked that pert little 'do' of mine then it was his for the duration). If I'm not mistaken, in that famous picture of Kate in her see-thru negligee from the charity fashion show when she would have been about 18/19 - when she caught William's eye in a romantic way - Kate's eye make-up is very heavy. Hence, its a look she has been fond of and was part of the gestalt that drew William.

If she did indeed have a tattoo done - its done (and too bad) - because I don't believe there is a way to remove a tattoo that's that close to the eye. For her sake, I hope she wasn't that foolish - don't you think her mother would have put a stop to it? I guess we just have to wait and see - if over the next 5 years - even with her first-born cradled in her arms in the days after the wee one's birth - we see liner - you may be right, you may have divined it - and that's why she's being so proprietary about her make-up. Its not just a case of her being 'self-reliant' - though it may be just that, too.

Last edited:
My complaint about VW is not really about her eyeliner comments. I am guessing that she must make some nice things/designs but the majority of what I have seen is major ghastly. She irritated me originally with her put down about Catherine's style not being "mature" (clearly because she was not wearing VW designs) well .... I just have to repeat ... I hope Catherine NEVER matures to that level. The eyeliner comment was, IMO, merely an add on as it has gotten some public comments and IMO she took advantage of that which was originally about Catherine's style. IMO Catherine has a classice, BRF "style." It is NOT VW style. I just found these comments to smack of (frankly) and older, 70's designer getting her dig in. I have said this several times ... it is NOT primarly about the eyelliner, which I admit could be softer but I just don't get my knickers in twist over something like that. :)

ETA indeed, I hope it is not tatooed either, Ouch!

Princess of Durham said:
My complaint about VW is not really about her eyeliner comments. I am guessing that she must make some nice things/designs but the majority of what I have seen is major ghastly. She irritated me originally with her put down about Catherine's style not being "mature" (clearly because she was not wearing VW designs) well .... I just have to repeat ... I hope Catherine NEVER matures to that level. The eyeliner comment was, IMO, merely an add on as it has gotten some public comments and IMO she took advantage of that which was originally about Catherine's style. IMO Catherine has a classice, BRF "style." It is NOT VW style. I just found these comments to smack of (frankly) and older, 70's designer getting her dig in. I have said this several times ... it is NOT primarly about the eyelliner, which I admit could be softer but I just don't get my knickers in twist over something like that. :)

ETA indeed, I hope it is not tatooed either, Ouch!

I don't think it was jealousy as such. It's often assumed that if someone criticises someone's style, they're jealous for whatever reason, but for someone who cares so much about fashion it must be irritating to have a woman who dresses nicely but quite boringly lauded as a style icon.

for someone who cares so much about fashion it must be irritating to have a woman who dresses nicely but quite boringly lauded as a style icon.
I've thought about this, and I think it's more irritating - perhaps to Westwood and to other people- to refer to the Duchess as a "fashion icon" rather than a "style icon". I see a huge difference between the two terms. Fashion (to me at least) is comprised of what's hot at the moment, starting from the top with the famous designers and their runway creations, until the look trickles down for the masses to wear. On the other hand, an individual's style refers to the near-consistent way they dress. Thus, it can be easy to predict what someone would wear. I would call Kate a "style icon" because her critics and fans alike know her style of clothing. I feel the word "icon" has really lost its exclusivity these days, I associate it closer to an icon on a computer. Like folder filled with Issa wrap dresses, the color blue, and LK Bennett shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal

I somewhat recalled hearing that "Barbie" comment awhile ago and found it in this link:

Talbot Church: Jealousy stalks Kate 'Barbie' Middleton - Commentators, Opinion - The Independent

:previous:Oh, my, I hope that comment's directed at the story, not me. I merely posted the link in response to a question. :ermm:

Last edited:
I've thought about this, and I think it's more irritating - perhaps to Westwood and to other people- to refer to the Duchess as a "fashion icon" rather than a "style icon". I see a huge difference between the two terms. Fashion (to me at least) is comprised of what's hot at the moment, starting from the top with the famous designers and their runway creations, until the look trickles down for the masses to wear. On the other hand, an individual's style refers to the near-consistent way they dress. Thus, it can be easy to predict what someone would wear. I would call Kate a "style icon" because her critics and fans alike know her style of clothing. I feel the word "icon" has really lost its exclusivity these days, I associate it closer to an icon on a computer. Like folder filled with Issa wrap dresses, the color blue, and LK Bennett shoes.

I completely agree. When you think about it, the BRF are not fashionable particularly but indeed stylish, each in their own way. Diana probably came the closest to being "fashionable". Style is consistent, non-shocking and in good taste and that cannot always be applied to "fashion". Sometimes fashion is just for shock value ... and to keep filling the pockets of every one in the fashion industry. Just today I was reading online about "what is in for Fall", well guess what everything they pointed to that was new for Spring and Summer was very, very out for Fall and Winter.:whistling: As to my comments re: VW being jealous .... I did not say that. I do think she was a bit miffed that she had not been called upon to offer up her designs and I will stand by that statement. If every criticism could be credited to "jealousy" that could be said about almost everyone here. :lol:

Personally, I stick to what's stylish and looks good on me rather than what's fashionable because it's "in" for that season and everyone's wearing it, regardless of whether it looks good on them or not. If Kate's philosophy is to gravitate to a look that's tasteful, elegant and suits her, then she is indeed stylish and not fashionable.

Personally, I stick to what's stylish and looks good on me rather than what's fashionable because it's "in" for that season and everyone's wearing it, regardless of whether it looks good on them or not. If Kate's philosophy is to gravitate to a look that's tasteful, elegant and suits her, then she is indeed stylish and not fashionable.
:previous: I would agree whole heartedly. In any event it is a no situation because if Catherine went with the "new fasthions" each season she would certainly be criticized for that. I would much rather see her looking elegant and dignified and as you said tasteful.

My eyes sometimes hurt from some of the fashionable young women I see walking around (who clearly have not looked in the mirror, or if they did, they need glasses). :ohmy:

ETA, thanks for the link to that article, I do remember it now. After reading a couple of paragraphs I would have to say what I said the first time ... someone just trying to stir up trouble, IMO.

Last edited:
Super Baroness said:

She has a style, but I don't think it's iconic. It's not hard to team an Issa dress with heels (especially when you're working with personal shoppers). Coco Chanel and Grace Kelly were style icons in my view - Kate isn't. She's just someone who wears nice, minimalist clothes.

Also, I'm not suggesting that Kate wears the latest fashions. I just think it's silly to idolise her style, which isn't anything special. Everything she wears turns to gold, even if it's not that good. If Beatrice wore the same dresses as Kate there wouldn't be such a explosion of copycat looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
ETA, thanks for the link to that article, I do remember it now. After reading a couple of paragraphs I would have to say what I said the first time ... someone just trying to stir up trouble, IMO.

And to sell newspapers, because stirring up the pot with reports of supposed dissension and in-fighting within the royal ranks always grabs the public's attention!

Last edited:
I wouldn't take too much stock in anything that comes from Talbot Church - their commentary is very sarcastic in the hopes of being humorous. And it is sometimes, I just read an article from Jan 5 that reveals that for the wedding, Charles proposed that the couple walk to the Palace while allowing time for guests to connect with their "sacred ancestors" through an aboriginal dreamsong.

She has a style, but I don't think it's iconic. It's not hard to team an Issa dress with heels (especially when you're working with personal shoppers). Coco Chanel and Grace Kelly were style icons in my view - Kate isn't. She's just someone who wears nice, minimalist clothes.

Also, I'm not suggesting that Kate wears the latest fashions. I just think it's silly to idolise her style, which isn't anything special. Everything she wears turns to gold, even if it's not that good. If Beatrice wore the same dresses as Kate there wouldn't be such a explosion of copycat looks.
I still think the use of "icon" or "iconic" has changed in recent years. I would definitely consider Coco Chanel and Grace icons, but it is very difficult to carry over what that entails in today's world. The media loves to label things and people as iconic, ground-breaking, or revolutionary, even if it seems silly by the standards of the past.

I feel there is no way anything Beatrice wears would spark a frenzy - except of course for her infamous "hat." (But I think it's just because it was too easy to make fun of it). Beatrice is nowhere near as well-known/hyped up as Kate is. That being said, I've really liked things both women have worn, and if I saw a copycat for cheap I'd buy it!

I still think the use of "icon" or "iconic" has changed in recent years. I would definitely consider Coco Chanel and Grace icons, but it is very difficult to carry over what that entails in today's world. The media loves to label things and people as iconic, ground-breaking, or revolutionary, even if it seems silly by the standards of the past.

I feel there is no way anything Beatrice wears would spark a frenzy - except of course for her infamous "hat." (But I think it's just because it was too easy to make fun of it). Beatrice is nowhere near as well-known/hyped up as Kate is. That being said, I've really liked things both women have worn, and if I saw a copycat for cheap I'd buy it!

I'm going to start calling myself iconic now :p

Also, check out this dress: it's strikingly similar to the Reiss Shola, which I actually really loved.

Kate Capped sleeve potni roma bodycon Dress at boohoo.com

Marika86 said:
The scarf that Catherine wore during the grocery shopping is Club Check Scarf by Aquascutum

On the 'What Kate Wore' Facebook page there were a few people who'd bought the scarf and said that it wasn't the same as the one she wore out shopping: theirs are shorter and can't be wrapped around the neck as much, amongst other differences. No one's sure but she might have more than one that are slightly different.

One definition of "icon" is "an object or person of uncritical devotion." In other words, an idol. I guess Kate is an icon of recycling, but not of "fashion." Nothing wrong with that.

I don't know if I'd describe Kate's style as iconic, if for no other reason than she hasn't really been around long enough to be an icon, but I've noticed that her style strikes a chord with many women in my demographic - late 20s or 30s, like to look well put together but don't have the time or inclination to be fashionistas, not necessarily wealthy but with some expendable income that every once in awhile :whistling: gets used to buy clothes, etc. in the same price point of the things Kate wears. That is, her look is a realistic one for a relatively large group of people to copy - you don't have to be hard core into fashion to pull it off.

I think that's the point that people like Vivienne Westwood or any of these other designers who make comments about Kate's style might be missing, (I'm thinking mainly of the maturity comment, not so much the eye liner comment). Designers are surrounded by the 0.00001 percent of people who make clothing, hair and makeup an overriding priority in their lives. Which is fine, but the vast majority of women don't live and die by what Ms. Westwood, or any other designer, thinks is good or bad. Fashion isn't an intellectual exercise for most people; those who worry about whether their style is "mature" enough to wear a certain designer, for example, are probably the exception rather than the rule. Most of us just pick out something we like and can afford.

I don't know if I'd describe Kate's style as iconic, if for no other reason than she hasn't really been around long enough to be an icon, but I've noticed that her style strikes a chord with many women in my demographic - late 20s or 30s, like to look well put together but don't have the time or inclination to be fashionistas, not necessarily wealthy but with some expendable income that every once in awhile :whistling: gets used to buy clothes, etc. in the same price point of the things Kate wears. That is, her look is a realistic one for a relatively large group of people to copy - you don't have to be hard core into fashion to pull it off.

I think that's the point that people like Vivienne Westwood or any of these other designers who make comments about Kate's style might be missing, (I'm thinking mainly of the maturity comment, not so much the eye liner comment). Designers are surrounded by the 0.00001 percent of people who make clothing, hair and makeup an overriding priority in their lives. Which is fine, but the vast majority of women don't live and die by what Ms. Westwood, or any other designer, thinks is good or bad. Fashion isn't an intellectual exercise for most people; those who worry about whether their style is "mature" enough to wear a certain designer, for example, are probably the exception rather than the rule. Most of us just pick out something we like and can afford.

Beautifully said!

I think we're being a little unfair to Vivienne Westwood here. Many of her designs are very simple and wearable and no doubt if Catherine stepped out in one of her dresses (and there are some that fit Catherine's style) we'd all be fawning over it. (And I find it's sometimes easier to throw together designer outfits, because the clothes are so well-cut and elegant you only need a dress and shoes.) Some of Catherine's stuff is affordable but I know that I can't go out and buy $300 sweaters and €600 dresses. A lot of her fashion looks quite simple and inexpensive but actually isn't. There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't particularly see her as an inspiration for ordinary women, especially in the current economic climate. She's no different than a normal celebrity: most famous people and models mix designer and high street, so it's hardly revolutionary :p If I did have the money for that sort of wardrobe, I'd probably want to make more colourful/interesting choices. I kind of feel sorry for her because her job forces her to wear some pretty boring outfits.

Oh, I don't think you need to feel sorry for the Duchess of Cambridge at all. I think she is dressing as she likes and it suits her ... as to VW, I won't go there again, except to say that she should just have kept her mouth shut with the "maturity" comment. Maturity has nothing to do with wearing her designs. Catherine will probably continue to evolve but certainly it would be foolish for her to go out and make a number of purchases when she is not on full time royal duty. As you yourself said, given the economy it's a very wise decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom