The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 3: July 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is Vivian Wesiwood? And who cares. Kate looks lovely.

VW is NOT, IMHO one to comment about anything. It was her dreadful design that poor Eugenie wore to the wedding and it looked awful. She also designs for Helena Bonham-Carter. I adore HBC, but you have to admit that she looks very weird on occasion. Westwood is not happy that Catherine has not chosen her for a designer, IMO. She is soooo far from anything that Catherine would wear, I don't even know why she bothers. With regard to C's eye makeup, it may not be everyone's cup of tea but there are a lot of young women out there who do the same thing. It's time to give it up on the comments.

Right!!! Every designer who feels rejected open his mouth and starts criticizing!!
And VW has designed nice things in the past, but her appearance!! Imagine the DoC imitating her!!!:bang:
Sometimes you have to be drunk and drugged to wear VW designs!

Catherine do not hear them. You've done all perfectly!!

Im not sure why the backlash at VW since many of us here agree and have discussed many times that Kate's eye make up is indeed too heavy.

If you read the article it quotes more designers and makeup artists then Westwood. And it just says Kates eyeliner is too harsh and should be smudged which many, many of us agree with. Westwood is a very respected designer and when asked a question just answered. Not every person has to love every aspect of Kate's look. I agree the eyeliner isn't super flattering but Kate can do whatever she pleases (as she does) ........and it seems like Westwood's comment was in answer to a question and she was giving her honest opinion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...s-fiancee.html
and she says kate's eyeliner is too much well at least its around her eyes not everyone else on her face like the models in those pics...those are crazy clothes..imo
and about the eyeliner..im not a fan of heavy eyeliner but the eyeliner works for her imo

Yeah, exactly! I think you are right:bang:
Should she wear a Lady Gaga-inspired bubble-dress?Guess that would be more appropriate or maybe a Jean Paul Gaultier-costume like Madonna wore in the 80ies :D
She wears nice casual clothes,she looks good in jeans and why should she always buy new clothes like Madame Orsborne says?If she was spending as much money on dresses and jewellery as Princess Diana did, she would be scrutinized by the press and her fans alike.
She is doing well with re-using her clothes but always changing them a little or wear the same dress with different accessoires.:flowers:
This is what every woman should do regardless of age or class- buy high quality clothes that fit your body,take something that will not go out of fashion the next day-monochrome colour and classic cuts are advisable and make them look new and fresh by wearing colourful, fashionable accessoires!
exactly...here have a flower:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree that the current situation in London is dreadful - my heart goes out to the people there having to endure such - but surely this small article was positioned in the paper before all the rioting? Its of no consequence, either way.

Eye-makeup is a big one. I comment on anyone's eye makeup - saying so regarding Kate elicits intense emotion and that puzzles me. But anyway....

Fact is Kate does look dated. I said it once before that her penchant reminds me of Elvis having his wife Priscilla use a heavy hand with her mascara - almost 'goth'. One definitely saw the effect through Kate's veil on her wedding day - it was better with the veil off but was still 'unusual'. Its an opinion, that's all. It detracts from her overall look - though I'm sure she is convinced she looks good that way. She likes the look - and may not change it anytime soon. In fact, like Princess Anne, she found something that 'works' for her and she's going to stay with it.

In Vanity Fair, Kate made the International Best Dressed List - so that's something.

Must not be bothered by the make-up. :flowers:

P.S. Colin Firth made the Best Dressed List, too. :cool:

Last edited:
VW criticized Catherine long before this eyeliner statement. IMO it is just another opportunity to hit out at her. There is no way that the DoC would wear VW clothes, they seem to be more for celebrity types. It is true that others made comments about the eyeliner however several others, Bobbi Brown among them, made quite the opposite statement regarding the wedding makeup. The point is, makeup is individual to each person and it may not be what everyone wants to wear. I like and wear makeup but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing makeup or clothing like VW, esteemed designer or not. Catherine may, in time, change her makeup. I hope she does because everyone needs to change from time to time or they look old fashioned. I'm just waiting to see what she chooses to do next, I will join in the criticisms when/if Catherine is still wearing heavy eyeliner 15 years down the road. :lol: But then, who knows, it could be all the rage at that time.

come on, as many posters have already remarked, it is pointless to act all angry at VW while pretty much everybody on board has been pointing out that K eyeliner is way - and I mean way - too heavy... Of course 1) there's much room and time for ad improvement (see e.g. the changes Diana undergone from her first to her late years) and 2) K is perfectly entitled to make herself up as she pleases. Still, what bugs me is that she is hailed as a fashion icon almost everywhere these "fashion mistakes" notwithstanding... Any other princess would not have gone away with this...

This is the first I've seen this hag..You got to be kidding?

She is dire need of a COMPLETE OVERHAUL-starting with that scraggly fake red, and look at her teeth? Dreadful..Ugly.

My problem is not so much with the criticism of the eyemakeup but this is the second time she has made comments about the DoC's style. The first time it was something to the effect that Catherine would have to "mature" into her designs. Well sorry .... I hope the DoC NEVER matures into her designs, they are horrible IMO. She has used that tired old tack of "being original" to gain fame for her horrible designs. Who among us would want Catherine in any of her designs? IMO, she makes these put downs because she is not happy that Catherine has not come to her for her fashions. As I said earlier her comments were not just about the eyemakeup. She is, IMO, not only knocking Catherine's style or lack there of, but also making her opionion known regarding the designers the DoC does use, who, IMO are far more attractive/better/elegant that VW's. She is the one who looks "old hat" in a very 70's kind of way.

My problem is not so much with the criticism of the eyemakeup but this is the second time she has made comments about the DoC's style. The first time it was something to the effect that Catherine would have to "mature" into her designs. Well sorry .... I hope the DoC NEVER matures into her designs, they are horrible IMO. She has used that tired old tack of "being original" to gain fame for her horrible designs. Who among us would want Catherine in any of her designs? IMO, she makes these put downs because she is not happy that Catherine has not come to her for her fashions. As I said earlier her comments were not just about the eyemakeup. She is, IMO, not only knocking Catherine's style or lack there of, but also making her opionion known regarding the designers the DoC does use, who, IMO are far more attractive/better/elegant that VW's. She is the one who looks "old hat" in a very 70's kind of way.

I wonder if Ms. Westwood had secret hopes of designing The Dress? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. :)

lady catharine
you speakth the truth...when i 1st saw her and what she was wearing...rolf...shes a funny creature and her designs fit her look

i still think that kate is considered a fashion icon because she sells clothes...people want to wear what she wears and if i was 70lbs lighter i would buy the clothes she wears too so in that sense she is a fashion icon. plus no other royal has had that kind of influence since princess di-imo i think a lot of royals would like that type of selling power because fashion designers would love for them to wear their clothing...and i think that might be vw's issue. its a fact what kate wears today we buy the next day

I do like Kate's style, though I never comment about it because as long it is appropriate for the occasion, it's fine by me. But that doesn't stop me from moaning privately about her eyeliner. It's not my business, yet I still think she would look so much better without it all around her eye. I've even gone so far as to take pictures of Kate and photoshop some of the eyeliner off - and it satisfies me.

I don't know much about Vivienne Westwood or her designs (not sure if Princess Eugenie's wedding ensemble is an good example...) but I agree with her on this topic. She has an opinion, she shared it, and that's that.

It's quite amazing that Kate is criticised for wearing 'boring' clothes while doing her grocery shopping. I mean, what do you expect her to wear to the supermarket?!

Why, the Scroll tiara and an evening gown, of course!!:ROFLMAO: I do like the scarf with that beautiful purple sweater, BTW; it adds such panache to the overall look.

This is the first I've seen this hag..You got to be kidding?

She is dire need of a COMPLETE OVERHAUL-starting with that scraggly fake red, and look at her teeth? Dreadful..Ugly.

VW does look like the last person to dispense fashion advice, but closing my eyes and discounting how she looks I have to agree with her about Catherine's heavy eyeliner, although she's not the first to have this same opinion. But I'm sure there could be some sour grapes mixed in with her prior comments about Catherine's fashions because the Duchess doesn't wear her designs.

Last edited:
I read various articles regarding Vivianne Westwood's comments on Kate's eye make-up and all I "hear" is a jealous, bitter woman. I think she's just upset that she didn't get the wedding dress commission, and that her recent designs worn by Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie were slammed so heavily in the press, etc, while Kate gets kudos and adoration for dressing in a style that's a complete opposite to VW.

I read various articles regarding Vivianne Westwood's comments on Kate's eye make-up and all I "hear" is a jealous, bitter woman. I think she's just upset that she didn't get the wedding dress commission, and that her recent designs worn by Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie were slammed so heavily in the press, etc, while Kate gets kudos and adoration for dressing in a style that's a complete opposite to VW.
To be honest, this whole VW rant tickles me pink! :lol:

Here were a goodly number of us lauding her style. Her dress, her shoes (oooohh yummy), her hair,her hats, her . . . . OMG I just wish she wasn't so heavy handed with the dreaded eyeliner!!!!! :eek:

VW (not a designer whose style I particularly like) has the temerity to say that Catherine is, wait for it, too heavy handed with her eyeliner and wham! Let's bring back hanging or, how about a ritual burning at the stake! :witch:

Who are we to cast the first stone when so many of us have already taken a left-turn on the road to the moral high-ground on this topic? :D

Last edited:
Im not sure why the backlash at VW since many of us here agree and have discussed many times that Kate's eye make up is indeed too heavy.

Exactly.

It was a small off handed comment that also happens to be objectively true. In fact, Kate was given the nick name "Panda Eyes" here on this forum.

London is burning. I think people are in need of a distraction- something meaningless (like a critique of Kate's eye make up) to rage against.

Get over it.

P.S. "Old", "hag" really? Every woman on this forum will one day have the experience of being ridiculed and dismissed because of your age and it will not be by men, but by women who think it makes sense to dismiss a very relevant British designer because she has a few (or more than a few) wrinkles.

Catherine do not hear them. You've done all perfectly!!

Lame.

This is a bit dramatic, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
All the Middleton ladies (well 3 of them at least) wear their eyeliner like that. Obviously that's how they learned to apply it. Could be time for a little softening of the liner, apparently, our eyes get smaller as we age and closing the size of the eye socket by painting its rim only makes them smaller again.

Before I moved to Scotland permanently, I lived for 15 years in a clutch of villages: Glossop, Hadfield and Tintwistle.

I can assure you that VW is not altogether well regarded in her native village....

Oh, and the "League of Gentlemen" was filmed in Hadfield.....

Tintwistle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank God she doesn't have freckles as well. People would be telling her to get rid of those too :) One can assume that Will likes her, just the way she is, and since she doesn't look like lady GaGa, I think she is fine.

All the Middleton ladies (well 3 of them at least) wear their eyeliner like that. Obviously that's how they learned to apply it. Could be time for a little softening of the liner, apparently, our eyes get smaller as we age and closing the size of the eye socket by painting its rim only makes them smaller again.

True, as we age we have to adjust not just our fashions but our makeup accordingly...not that Kate is old by any means but as we get older we have to consider that what looked good on us 10 years ago may not have the same results in our appearance now.

I love Kate's style - her dress sense are more classic and timeless. But I do agree that her eyeliner make her looks harsh and serious. Despite smiling radiately, I really do not see any softness in her make up esp for her wedding as compare to other royal brides (for example, Charlene's perfect makeup during her religious wedding). I know they are two different individual with different characteristic but one could clearly see the difference in makeup skill by a professional. Anyway I still have this tingling feeling that she had tattooed eyeliner and she draws a thicker line over it every time. You could see the close up Calgary picture in the Mail Online VW article, her usual thick eyeliner was gone (maybe she did not draw it in full here) but the thin one is still there perfectly circling around her eye - too perfect to be hand drawn I think. And this maybe the reason why she prefer to do her own make-up even on her special day - she may not want a outsider to know that she has tattooed eyeliner.

To be honest, this whole VW rant tickles me pink! :lol:

Here were a goodly number of us lauding her style. Her dress, her shoes (oooohh yummy), her hair,her hats, her . . . . OMG I just wish she wasn't so heavy handed with the dreaded eyeliner!!!!! :eek:

VW (not a designer whose style I particularly like) has the temerity to say that Catherine is, wait for it, too heavy handed with her eyeliner and wham! Let's bring back hanging or, how about a ritual burning at the stake! :witch:

Who are we to cast the first stone when so many of us have already taken a left-turn on the road to the moral high-ground on this topic? :D

For the record, I have never criticized Kate's make-up, or probably any royal's make-up, because I don't wear very much of it myself, so who am I to judge was is too much.

regarding Kate use of heavy eyeliner,I think who is used to wear heavy eyeliner including me,can't easily get rid of it as you always have comments like" you look tired"," don't you sleep well yesterday?" when you don't wear eyeliner.

Yet, one can make the transition between heavy liquid liners and more subtle powdered ones, without getting the "what happened to you? have you been ill?" kinds of comments.

And then, one can transition to a less bold shade. These are things we all face as we style ourselves - and the 20's are an interesting decade (I have two 20 something daughters, they're both subtly changing their style as they move further and further away from heavier teen-style eyeliner). The younger one, who is a stylist would love to see Kate wear dark brown liner applied with a push brush. People would scarcely notice (well, we all would).

Really, at some point, Kate is going to either change that eyeliner or look very tired at 60, because ultimately, the heavier wet-applied liner is very aging when it gets into those wrinkled eyelids.

Not that liquid liner is always bad - there are some that are applied very lightly - simply lightening up a little and going with a charcoal shade instead of that black she uses would be a good thing - just once in awhile. Getting stuck wearing the same basic eyeliner every day is not necessary for anyone.

Seems many of us are on the same page - but apparently Kate isn't reading. Who wants to send her the link??

I went from a heavier pencil liner to the powder; several years ago, but not without a fight. It does look more natural and if one likes to make it a little bolder, one can use either a thicker brush or wet the brush before using the powder.

I would like to add, that heavy liner or not, William fell in love with Catherine as is. I don't think that this will be a marriage as his fathers to Diana, but one that will last. If she chooses, she may one day read this board or take advise from someone, and lighten the eye makeup. But the end result, she is Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, future Queen of England.

Hell, I might pull out the eye pencils - the Duke of York needs a good wife?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom