The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
In my opinion wearing florals to a former concentration camp isnt very appropriate. Darker colours or all white wouldve been a better choice.

Having visited a former concentration camp myself, people don't dress somberly. They wear whatever they're comfortable in. I gave no thought whatsoever to needing to dress in a particular way to visit.

If she was attending a funeral or memorial service, I could see dressing in dark colors, but not for this. Anyway, it was kind of a muted floral outfit.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Majesty

kate's outfits have been very appropriate and interesting. i loved the evening dress she wore by the polish designer, which was edgy and very different from what she usually wears. the erdem top and skirt today was also super feminine.

i also wondered about the appropriateness of a flowery dress to visit a concentration camp, but i guess kate has the best advice in this respect and knows what is protocolar / appropriate to wear.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Serene Highness

I've always been of the opinion that [providing one is respectably dressed] respect and feeling is better to be found in the heart and brain, than in the 'window dressing' that are clothes.
When I visited Auschwitz it was a blazing hot day in the height of Summer. My clothes in no way reflected the darkness of my thoughts and feelings that memorable day, and I suspect the same it true of the Duchess ?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 22: May 2017 -

I wondering how soon someone would be complaining when I saw today's outfit and Kate was not in dark colors. Google Queen Elizabeth at ground zero or D-Day. She is laying a wreath in NY in a green floral dress and is in lime green during D-Day anniversary service. The Cambridges aren't attending a memorial service at the camp.

The government has protocols experts. The dress codes would have been well known beforehand. Stuff whether it's evening gown or cocktail dress, suit and tie versus tux, military uniform needed, culture aspects such as a headscarf or covered arms, etc...
Old 07-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=royal rob;2003907]There was a woman there in a pink jacket. I presume you think that's not suitable either.[/QUOT

I's say it's the design that's wrong not what colour she wore (unless it was a very bright one). A block colour in a muted shade would have been right I think. She could be going to a garden party in this. Also of course it matters less what an ordinary visitor wears (within reason) compared to someone paying an official visit to such a place. There are many more appropriate dresses she could have worn that would have worked just fine with the other engagements she has today. It didn't have to be dark either, a grey or pastel shade would have looked OK.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not a great fan of the design of the dress but the colours were quite muted (and after all people sometimes wear colours to funerals now) and I doubt the survivors of that terrible place were offended. Those that died there are beyond all thoughts of dresses and shoes, I believe. What a revolting hell on earth those concentration camps were, whether they had gas ovens or not. That exhibit showing shoes and other possessions stolen from the inmates says it all really, doesn't it?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Royal Highness

Never forget. That is what survivors of the Holocaust,and their surviving families, and, indeed, the Jewish people as a whole wish for those who visit the camps. Never forget. Wearing regular clothes is by no means disrespectful. Life goes on, but never forget. And never again.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
She has changed her style a bit, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Do you think so? It seems in line with other things she likes/has worn before.

LaRae
Yes - I agree. I feel we are seeing the start of a style metamorphosis from Catherine. She’s looking better than ever, more confident, and I am really looking forward to a move away from her more boring, predictable look.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:00 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Very nice. I really like the necklace. I still prefer the shorter hair but think it would look even better with a side part. She looks beautiful, though, overall.
Yes. Agreed about the side part!
Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Sorry but I've never been a big believer in the colour of your clothes should be affected by the place you were going. I believe they once wore white to funerals instead of weddings? I might be wrong on that.

I've visited several concentration camps, one on my birthday, and whilst they were horrifying places, they aren't now. They should IMO serve as a memorial to those who survived and a remembrance for those who past.

She's not wearing neon green, others around her aren't in black, she's dressed fine.

I love the outfit, it's bold with the print but peplum is good for Catherine.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry but I've never been a big believer in the colour of your clothes should be affected by the place you were going. I believe they once wore white to funerals instead of weddings? I might be wrong on that.

I've visited several concentration camps, one on my birthday, and whilst they were horrifying places, they aren't now. They should IMO serve as a memorial to those who survived and a remembrance for those who past.

She's not wearing neon green, others around her aren't in black, she's dressed fine.

I love the outfit, it's bold with the print but peplum is good for Catherine.
I’m not sure about the white dress for funerals (but that sound likely). I do know that When Victoria chose white for her wedding to Albert, it was not because white=wedding, it was because she liked how she looked in white. Of course it then became a massively popular wedding gown choice, with the added implication of purity.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Majesty

I love the floral dress. So beautiful and elegant. A regal print.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Erdem today, and midi-length!
She looks nice but I can't quite warm to Erdem; just something about the designs that I don't care for.

Another floral print, too. Well, it's seasonal, but this one reminds me of wallpaper.

Kate Middleton and Prince William visit Gdansk during tour | Daily Mail Online

I love the shape/style of the dress ..and I even like the print...I just think the skirt would of been enough print...perhaps a solid for a top.

LaRae
Old 07-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
From the experiences I have been able to hear of from others that have been to visit the sites of concentration camps from WWII, I don't think what Kate wore makes a bit of difference. As they explore the area and visit the different exhibits, what is going to happen is that they will be hit full in the face with the atrocities and the horrors and the full extent of man's inhumanity to man that these camps are stark reminders of. Then, with meeting with survivors, and listening to their stories and recollections, one can only hope that they leave with a firm conviction to work so that something like this never, ever happens again.

On the other hand, wearing a somewhat cheery, floral outfit would probably make a world of difference in meeting the survivors. They've had enough drab, gloomy and somber memories to live with and a cheerful looking Kate just may make their day.

Exactly so.

LaRae
Old 07-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
I’m not sure about the white dress for funerals (but that sound likely). I do know that When Victoria chose white for her wedding to Albert, it was not because white=wedding, it was because she liked how she looked in white. Of course it then became a massively popular wedding gown choice, with the added implication of purity.
I'm almost positive the female children of RFK wore white dresses to their father's funeral.

I don't see anything wrong with how Catherine is dressed.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Nobility

White is a color of mourning in some countries.

But back to Catherine. I like the outfit. I didn't like it as much when I thought it was a dress, but now that I know it's two pieces I like it more. The only quibble I have is the sleeve length. Not a fan of that, would have preferred the sleeves a little shorter.

I hate the shoes. But that's just me.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
From the experiences I have been able to hear of from others that have been to visit the sites of concentration camps from WWII, I don't think what Kate wore makes a bit of difference. As they explore the area and visit the different exhibits, what is going to happen is that they will be hit full in the face with the atrocities and the horrors and the full extent of man's inhumanity to man that these camps are stark reminders of. Then, with meeting with survivors, and listening to their stories and recollections, one can only hope that they leave with a firm conviction to work so that something like this never, ever happens again.

On the other hand, wearing a somewhat cheery, floral outfit would probably make a world of difference in meeting the survivors. They've had enough drab, gloomy and somber memories to live with and a cheerful looking Kate just may make their day.
Brilliant as always and very thoughtful..
Old 07-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

She looks great. I love the entire outfit.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Courtier

I think the outfit itself is beautiful. At first I was in the "not appropriate for such a somber event" camp but on reading some of the comments I'm coming around a little. The colours are muted and there's nothing else about the look that's out of place - it's not too casual, it's not some sort of attention catching statement piece, it fits well, she's obviously taken care with her appearance overall. Sooo, I'm on the fence now.

Men really do have it much easier when it comes to dressing.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I think the outfit itself is beautiful. At first I was in the "not appropriate for such a somber event" camp but on reading some of the comments I'm coming around a little. The colours are muted and there's nothing else about the look that's out of place - it's not too casual, it's not some sort of attention catching statement piece, it fits well, she's obviously taken care with her appearance overall. Sooo, I'm on the fence now.

Men really do have it much easier when it comes to dressing.
I think when the first photos came out this morning the color quality was just from phones and the floral fabric looked much brighter close up. Once the full length photos hi res images showed up the color was much more sedate and quite a lovely choice. (especially noticable in the photo where Kate was given a bouquet of flowers and the real flowers were bright colors).

Closed Thread

Tags
the duchess of cambridge casual wear, the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion, the duchess of cambridge fashion, the duchess of cambridge hats