The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 21: March 2017 - May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a classy enough outfit but in total a bit old, length, sleeves etc. Colour is great choice.

It's a classy enough outfit but in total a bit old, length, sleeves etc. Colour is great choice.

I agree. I'm not really keen on it, but it is an appropriate choice and means that Kate doesn't outshine the bride. I don't really like that fascinator either.

Agree Duke and Marmalade, appropriate but old.

The color is lovely. And weddings the one time it's good to blend in, let host, this time the bride, shine.

But the dress in style, length and such is very eighties. Not a fan of fascinator.

Her hair is lovely and love the earrings.

I agree. I'm not really keen on it, but it is an appropriate choice and means that Kate doesn't outshine the bride. I don't really like that fascinator either.

I don't either and that's the only part of her look I don't like.

Lovely appearance minus the headpiece. Burn those silly fascinators and go for a proper hat, ma'am. And congratulations with your sister and brother-in-law.

Agree Duke and Marmalade, appropriate but old.

The color is lovely. And weddings the one time it's good to blend in, let host, this time the bride, shine.

But the dress in style, length and such is very eighties. Not a fan of fascinator.

Her hair is lovely and love the earrings.

Same thought.

I know a lot of people are placing Kate's dress in the 80s but to me, when I first saw it, I'd even go further back to the 40s or 50s and claim a vintage style. It kind of fits in with the vintage cars that were used for the wedding ceremony.

Excepting for the neckline, the dress isn't that far removed from being like Wallis Simpson's wedding dress. That's what it kind of reminded me of at first.

All in all, it was a good look and style for Kate.

The dress looks mother of the bride but the color is pretty. I guess Kate doesn't want to upstage her sister.

I think the colour of Catherine's dress is beautiful and the style itself seems quite vintage to me, i.e. late 1920s - 30s; and I like that. I'm not a fan of her hat however, but then again I've never been much of a 'hat person'.

I love the color, the length and the long sleeves as well as the detailing at the waist, the deep V suits her well. However, I didnt like the pleats on the bust. Great hair, hat and makeup.

I was thinking 1940s. Something you would have seen then Princess Elizabeth wearing.

I was thinking 1940s. Something you would have seen then Princess Elizabeth wearing.
Same. It's very 1940s. I happen to love that look, especially on a person with Kate's body type, but I can absolutley see why it's not everyones cup of tea.

I do like the v-neck though, it keeps it from feeling like a 40s replica and also from being too matronly.

Looks 1940's to me. Great style. :flowers: Love the drape of the fabric. Overall good look imo, even the fascinator looks okay. (I've become reconciled ;) : Kate will always wear one, it's just a matter of better/best, and this is a good one).

Last edited:
Kate looks like a bad bridesmaid at Pippa's wedding. Her dress looks like one of those monstrocities a bride picks for her friends to wear at her wedding. And I miss the old fascinators Kate used to wear, the ones she wore off the side of her head, not these tea cosy things.

Same. It's very 1940s. I happen to love that look, especially on a person with Kate's body type, but I can absolutley see why it's not everyones cup of tea.

I do like the v-neck though, it keeps it from feeling like a 40s replica and also from being too matronly.

I had the same thoughts regarding Kate's dress today.

I have a question for those more knowledgeable about headgear. How does one determine what is a hat and what is a fascinator? I always thought that a fascinator was a small decorated headband or clip--but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've seem some fairly large headgear that I would call a hat being described as a fascinator-like Kate's today
Thanks.

Last edited:
I think the dress was ill-fitted, her posture didn't help

I think the colour of Catherine's dress is beautiful and the style itself seems quite vintage to me, i.e. late 1920s - 30s; and I like that. I'm not a fan of her hat however, but then again I've never been much of a 'hat person'.

That was my feel too...it is vintage looking (in theme with the wedding)...20's/30's.

LaRae

After a second look I am not so impressed about the bustière department. On some pictures it gives the impression of empty tea-bags instead of a healthy bosom. The use of the materials and the draping had an unfortunate effect, I am afraid to say.

http://www.mercurynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/pippa4.jpg?w=620

One has to have more body fat generally to get much more 'ooomph' in that area. Since I'm sure the DoC knows about push up bras it's my guess she prefers to keep things minimal.

Having two children (especially if you nurse them) can have some negative effects on some things as well.

LaRae

I have a question for those more knowledgeable about headgear. How does one determine what is a hat and what is a fascinator? I always thought that a fascinator was a small decorated headband or clip--but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've seem some fairly large headgear that I would call a hat being described as a fascinator.
Thanks.

I think the Ascot rules call for something with a base over 4 inches? Then they call it a headpiece and also deem it "acceptable." https://www.ascot.co.uk/royal-ascot...m_medium=cpc&utm_source=google#royalenclosure.

I think the big difference is that a fascinator is held on with a clip, band, comb or some other device. A hat on the other hand is fitted to the head and secured only with a hat pin, if at all. Hats are made on hat forms, while fascinators need not be.

I agree about the 1940s aspect of the dress. I don't think it does Kate any favors, especially the upper part. And while many like the color, I think it washes her out. All in all, it's a miss for me. I do hope some photos of the reception will leak. I think Kate will be a little more colorful and adventurous in a more private setting.

I think the dress was ill-fitted, her posture didn't help
I don't think it is "ill fitted" actually. Not in the "sewn badly/wrong" way at least. It is a very standard 1940s bust style. I quite like it but very much see why others do not. But I do think it's a style choice and not a "bad fitting" if that makes sense?

I have a question for those more knowledgeable about headgear. How does one determine what is a hat and what is a fascinator? I always thought that a fascinator was a small decorated headband or clip--but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've seem some fairly large headgear that I would call a hat being described as a fascinator-like Kate's today
Thanks.

Let us say that a hat is "worn": a brimmed hat, a pillbox, a turban, a fez, a clocque, a beret, a bowler, a casque, a derby, etc. cover a head while a fascinator is more a decorative headpiece fastened to the hairdo.

Last edited:
I think she looks lovely and I would say the style is 1930s or early 40s (before dresses became a bit shorter due to lack of fabric).

I like her hat - I call it a hat as it seems too big for the frothy pieces of headgear that were the original fascinators although I realise it is attached to a headband. (I have to say I see no resemblance to a tea cosy which in my part of the world look more like woolly winter hats).

I'm also happy that her hair is off her face as I am one of those people who always complains about the spaniel ears and fiddling.

Not impressed with this look. It makes even the little bit of her breast look saggy and I know the word 'matronly' gets thrown around a lot, also by myself, but I'm going to use it once again. This dress is straight up matronly.

Great colour and hat on the duchess ,just wasn't mad also about the pleats on the bust area.

Saying the dress is matronly doesn't go far enough, it looks like something a grandma would wear. Even Carole and James' mother had better clothes and they fit better as well. ... It would have been cute if the top of Kate's dress was high neck with short sleeves to match Pippa's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom