The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Majesty

At first I did not like this dress but I love it. Its strikingly beautiful and elegant. Great the design and pattern.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I actually like the dress quite well...it's almost a lemony cream color or something..maybe that's the lighting.

LaRae

Old 05-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

The dress is quite nice, but not for an event like this. When Queen Letizia of Spain visits schools etc where there are children and she's required to get down to their level she often wears a pair of fitted slacks and an attractive top.

That's much more practical than a full-skirted dress IMO. Yes, I know this was a garden party but there were a couple of times when Kate knelt down where any kids standing there could have seen up her dress. It was the same in Canada, when children are around practicality rules, or should.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

From the pics I saw her dress draped over her knees so you must of seen pics I haven't yet.

LaRae
Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 21: March 2017 -

I agree with you - I just don't get why British Royals rarely wear tailored trousers for official events. Kate looks fine here but it is a rather impractical for interacting with children. Diana would occasionally wear trousers on visits and I think Sophie does too, but I think we have only seen Kate in casual leggings or jeans. I'd love her to try something different.

I would add that just looking at Charlotte C's thread she is wearing a white pant suit - how good would Kate look in something similar.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Nobility

Kate plays it safe fashion wise, most likely because she was allegedly called on the carpet for her "Marilyn moments" at official events. But if Meghan Markle joins the Firm, there will be a best dressed contest courtesy of the media.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

The shoes,are terrible with this dress, really not the same category. The hair should have been arranged so we could see the neckline
Old 05-14-2017, 01:07 AM
Serene Highness

i think Kate's dress falls into the 'perfect princess' category. Would i buy it? probably not, as I don't see me wearing it - but Kate has the princess role to play - especially around kids ..... and she plays it to perfection. Whether I like Kate's wardrobe or not (mostly I do) - she seems to work very hard at dressing appropriately. I think she has assembled a classic working princess wardrobe.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The dress is quite nice, but not for an event like this. When Queen Letizia of Spain visits schools etc where there are children and she's required to get down to their level she often wears a pair of fitted slacks and an attractive top.

That's much more practical than a full-skirted dress IMO. Yes, I know this was a garden party but there were a couple of times when Kate knelt down where any kids standing there could have seen up her dress. It was the same in Canada, when children are around practicality rules, or should.
Firstly, Catherine is not Letizia, Letizia also wears leather dressers, trousers and a whole lot of stuff on engagements that I just do not think is appropriate.

Secondly, British royal ladies do not generally wear trousers on official engagements. I don't think there are any particularly revealing pictures from her bending down to speak to children yesterday.

Thirdly, I don't get the matronly comments. If the same dress was worn by seomebody who weighed 20kg more, I would accept it. Catherine can get away from it because of her height / weight ratio. I think she looked very elegant.

Fourthly, I thought the shoes, whilst not the most fashion forward or elegant, were perfect for walking around a lawn Why does she have to wear flats if she does not want to?

Fifthly, I agree the hair probably needs to be tamed, in a lot of pictures it really seems to be all over the place. I presume she will learn, one day!
Old 05-14-2017, 04:27 AM
Majesty

While I wouldn't call Catherine's clothes matronly I can understand what people are getting at, there's something missing. Take the blue coat in Luxembourg, basically, there's nothing really wrong with it barring the fact that she has so many blue coats. That being the case, she needs to make it unique.

A gorgeous ponytail or an elegant updo so we could have clearly seen those amazing earrings that were part of her ensemble but, for the most part, invisible to us. Add a whimsical brooch or perhaps a spectacular scarf a-la-Sophie with complimentary bag and shoes. Even a hat! Anything to distinguish The Duchess of Cambridge from anyone else in the photo.

Catherine has gorgeous hair but wearing it down all the time does not do her any favours. She looks like a celebrity or movie star with her beatifully coiffed hair. But such hair is not made for the rigours of a whole day, inside and outside with the vagarities of the weather. By the end of the day, it's just long hair she's had to tuck behind her ears countless times and is no longer as stylish, bouncy nor lovely as it was.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

When I saw the trio yesterday I immediately thought that this was the casual version of a BRF garden party. William and Harry are in trousers, a jacket and an open necked shirt instead of a morning suit and top hat. Kate is in a more casual dress minus a hat. Her dress had a full skirt with a knee length hem which have her coverage when she was leaning down to speak to children and shorter teens.

IMHO they all were appropriately dressed for this more child oriented event but not too laid back to draw raised eyebrows from HM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm on the fence about Catherine's latest outfit. I like the colour, and the bottom half is nice, but there's something about the top half that is a bit off for me. I think it's the lace - I don't know, but there's just something about it that's not quite right.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-15-2017, 03:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
oh dear, can it get any more matronly

the lace top with ruffled sleeves & collar screames Doll Toilet Roll Holder to me, plain skirt & belt complete the frumpy 1970s look. And then of course the evitable wedges.
I just want to say, whilst I totally agree that Catherine wears wedges a little too often for my taste on this kind of ground and event I think wedges were the most suitable choice of shoe. Unfortunately even someone as chic as I need to wear wedges to my wedding as I'm marrying on grass.

I like this dress, but it is a dress with a some kind of statement which needs to be allowed to show, the collar and wrist designs need to be allowed to be shown off IMO.

In regards to being matronly, as a whole, Catherine has always seemed to favour the older than her years clothes, which as long as they suit her body style I have no problems with but sometimes they miss their mark.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 AM
Majesty

Is Kate in the Christopher Kane ice blue coat dress worn first the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Might be...they look very alike.

LaRae
Old 05-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Years 1st Garden Party;
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_9OVNQV0AAkdyf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_9b2AVVoAALwxd.jpg

Christopher Kane Coat with Lock&Co hat.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Is Kate in the Christopher Jane ice blue coat dress worn first the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics?
Do you mean what she wore to Luxembourg last Thursday? That was a new coat by Emilia Wickstead. It has a much fuller skirt than the Christopher Kane coat. Also the fabric of the Kane coat is shinier.

Edit-Nevermind, just saw the post added, while I was replying, with the Garden Party photo.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Do you mean what she wore to Luxembourg last Thursday? That was a new coat by Emilia Wickstead. It has a much fuller skirt than the Christopher Kane coat. Also the fabric of the Kane coat is shinier.
No Muriel means the outfit from todays garden party which I have just posted above yours.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Years 1st Garden Party;
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_9OVNQV0AAkdyf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_9b2AVVoAALwxd.jpg

Christopher Kane Coat with Lock&Co hat.
Too boring and plain!

The fabric is too shiny for the coat IMO. The hat looks like a mini slide in the front part. The overall looks so plain.

I wish she wore something with a bit more color or a print or a lovely summery dress matched with light coat or even a lace coat by Burberry for example.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So I did some shopping for Catherine

http://images.bergdorfgoodman.com/ca...BGB3U5F_mu.jpg
http://images.bergdorfgoodman.com/ca...BGB3U9K_mu.jpg
http://images.bergdorfgoodman.com/ca...BGTVPRK_mu.jpg
http://images.bergdorfgoodman.com/ca...BGB3SD4_mu.jpg
http://images.bergdorfgoodman.com/ca...BGTVT6R_mu.jpg

I know there's a suggestions thread so I might go over there.