The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 05-12-2017, 01:27 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 7,881
Okay, I am not generally a Catherine Fashion Fan, and this coat underscores why that is so. It is boring for no other reason than she has so many plain blue coats and what's with the high waist yet again? I googled her blue coats and stopped counting at 30 and I just know some fashion sycophant is going to rave about her cutting edge fashion.

When it comes to fashion Catherine is very tame or timid. Once she got past the initial "I'm going to do my own thing" stage where she treated the world to numerous 'thong or commando shots', she has pretty well done little less than lengthen her skirts, dresses and coats and maybe added weights.

We hear that she has found her fashion groove and I keep thinking well, Queen Elizabeth and Camilla have found their's too, but you won't find Catherine wearing any of the gorgeous styles, patterns and colours they display. Nor will you find her wearing hats and fascinators unless it's a wedding, funeral or memorial service.

It looks very much like she has had her hair styled in a long bob going on her appearance straight out of the car. But the wind always wins.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...4501925289.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...4503322068.jpg
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #262  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 AM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 4,630
That must not have been a very strong wind because I don't see any difference in how her hair looks.

I think Camilla and Queen Elizabeth dress fine, but I wouldn't call the styles they wear gorgeous. In fact, neither have much variety when it comes to their every day outfits. The Queen is always in a coat dress (of various colors) and while Camilla mixes it up a bit more, her style is still pretty predictable. Which is fine. When you find a style you like, why not stick with it?

In the last 20 daytime appearances, Kate has only worn a coat dress four times. She's also worn a variety of colors and patterns. So while her style may be boring to some, she definitely mixes it up a bit more than people give her credit for.

I like the outfit she wore today and think the style and color suit her.
__________________

  #263  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Mari-Anne's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Posts: 569
Its very lovely pale blue coat that fits her perfectly and creates definite hour-glass figure.
I wish she had added a brooch on the lapel or brought in some zing with contrasting colors because now everything was in pastels (coat, shoes, bag).
But overall -- beautifully classic, springlike and elegant look. Thumbs up!
  #264  
Old 05-13-2017, 12:55 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 393
Was this Catherine's only public appearance in Luxembourg?
  #265  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:08 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Was this Catherine's only public appearance in Luxembourg?
Do you mean first trip to Luxembourg or only event ?

This is her first official trip at least.

But it was a series of four events (not including official greeting ): modern art museum, cycling festival, city museum and then the commemoration event. All in one day so one outfit but four events.
  #266  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:19 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Okay, I am not generally a Catherine Fashion Fan, and this coat underscores why that is so. It is boring for no other reason than she has so many plain blue coats and what's with the high waist yet again? I googled her blue coats and stopped counting at 30 and I just know some fashion sycophant is going to rave about her cutting edge fashion.

When it comes to fashion Catherine is very tame or timid. Once she got past the initial "I'm going to do my own thing" stage where she treated the world to numerous 'thong or commando shots', she has pretty well done little less than lengthen her skirts, dresses and coats and maybe added weights.

We hear that she has found her fashion groove and I keep thinking well, Queen Elizabeth and Camilla have found their's too, but you won't find Catherine wearing any of the gorgeous styles, patterns and colours they display. Nor will you find her wearing hats and fascinators unless it's a wedding, funeral or memorial service.

It looks very much like she has had her hair styled in a long bob going on her appearance straight out of the car. But the wind always wins.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...4501925289.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...4503322068.jpg
Catherine's a fairly conservative dresser but she generally looks appropriate for the occasion and is quite stylish. There's no need for someone in her position to try to successfully pull off cutting edge fashion or to be constantly trying something new if she doesn't have a genuine interest in that sort of thing.

I think QEII and Camilla are generally beautiful dressers - although Camilla's had some major fails over the years - but I don't see that much difference in how stylish they are versus Kate.
  #267  
Old 05-13-2017, 02:37 AM
dazzling's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 22,981
A boring look IMO from Catherine. The coat is too pale for her, the high waist bely doesn't suit her and the overall look was too plain. I think she could've gone for a ponytail or a soft bun at least with the hair.
__________________
  #268  
Old 05-13-2017, 12:28 PM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 12,923
Duchess of Cambridge , at a Special Garden Party at Buckingham Palace on April 13, 2017.


https://uk.style.yahoo.com/sy/ny/api...8b710d7e68da01
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/SS...248855ce4ccf0b

She wore it again in Canada. De See by Chloe

http://prod.static9.net.au/_/media/N...s611411360.jpg
  #269  
Old 05-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 12,987
oh dear, can it get any more matronly

the lace top with ruffled sleeves & collar screames Doll Toilet Roll Holder to me, plain skirt & belt complete the frumpy 1970s look. And then of course the evitable wedges.
  #270  
Old 05-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
oh dear, can it get any more matronly

the lace top with ruffled sleeves & collar screames Doll Toilet Roll Holder to me, plain skirt & belt complete the frumpy 1970s look. And then of course the evitable wedges.

I love the dress; it looks so delicate and feminine.

As for the wedges, what else could she wear to walk on grass?
Heels would sink right in, and flats wouldn't work with the dress.
  #271  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:00 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 22,981
Flats with straps/summery would've been the perfect match for todays event. The dress is nice enough but IMO, hair in a ponytail would've been ideal. The ruffled collar, lace top and open hair is just too much.
__________________
  #272  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
oh dear, can it get any more matronly

the lace top with ruffled sleeves & collar screames Doll Toilet Roll Holder to me, plain skirt & belt complete the frumpy 1970s look. And then of course the evitable wedges.
Agree both on the dress and shoes
  #273  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:25 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 4,630
The dress is pretty, my only quibble is the ruffled collar and I agree that flats would have been better.

I gotta say, I see the word matronly used quite a bit (on the various fashion threads) and I never quite know what qualifies as matronly. To me, Kate's' dress looks like something I'd see on any of the younger royal women.

Another photo of the dress:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...4692089846.jpg
  #274  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NN, Lithuania
Posts: 1,661
wonderful dress
love this color
  #275  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,332
I don't see this dress as matronly. Perhaps the ruffles on the collar could have been left behind though. It's less matronly than the amount of boring coat dresses.
  #276  
Old 05-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 526
I like this. Even though I agree with other posters about the hair and the shoes. Her hair up would have made the color stand out and my only quibble with the shoes is the color. If she really likes wearing this type, why not get some in different colors. It;s not like they are hard to get.
  #277  
Old 05-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 7,597
I heard Catherine reads this fashion thread and wears the same shoes and 'matronly' dresses with her hair down because it winds up the usual suspects.

Like shooting fish in a barrel
  #278  
Old 05-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
The dress is pretty, my only quibble is the ruffled collar and I agree that flats would have been better.

I gotta say, I see the word matronly used quite a bit (on the various fashion threads) and I never quite know what qualifies as matronly. To me, Kate's' dress looks like something I'd see on any of the younger royal women.

Another photo of the dress:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...4692089846.jpg
Thank you for saying this, Soapstar. What is matronly? It's clearly meant as a diss but I have never been able to distinguish between 'classic' and 'matronly', because usually what I think of as 'classic' winds up being another person's 'matronly'.

I am fairly young (I like to think) and fashion forward (most days), but dressing as a royal on display obviously requires a totally different sensibility than dressing otherwise (as the hapless Stephanie of Luxembourg demonstrates for some people).
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #279  
Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Thank you for saying this, Soapstar. What is matronly? It's clearly meant as a diss but I have never been able to distinguish between 'classic' and 'matronly', because usually what I think of as 'classic' winds up being another person's 'matronly'.

I am fairly young (I like to think) and fashion forward (most days), but dressing as a royal on display obviously requires a totally different sensibility than dressing otherwise (as the hapless Stephanie of Luxembourg demonstrates for some people).
Matronly means generally "in my mind what the upper middle age women wears". The thing is, that standard generally is set when you're a kid. So for a kid that grew up in the 50s and one that grew up in the 70s and one in the 90s their view of "matronly" is very different. I, as a 90s kid, find midi skirts very retro and chic and modern since my mum born in the late 60s would never have worn such styles but my mum generally finds that style very "mumsy" because her mother born in the 30s wore that kind of skirts etc. It's very much a case of perception (with some people not following the "rules" ofc!)
  #280  
Old 05-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,422
Thank you, hernameispekka. Good explanation. Definitely see that with shoes! There are some shoe styles that currently are seen as very fashion forward but which my great-aunt tells me she would never have been seen wearing dead when she was young because so 'old-fashioned' looking.

But I also see the type of clothing oft photographed women (like royals) wear to be of a particular type/style/kind because of certain logistical concerns. I don't think Kate (left to herself) would ever wear the stuff she wears at public events. She simply has adopted a formula for public costumery that suits (her) being a female member of the BRF.
__________________

__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 20: October 2016 - February 2017 iceflower Archives 412 03-02-2017 06:43 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 6: December 2011 - March 2012 dazzling Archives 394 03-03-2012 10:25 AM




Popular Tags
australia book british royal family camilla ceremony clothes crown princess victoria current events dailyfail duchessofsussex duchess of york duke of edinburgh duke of york dutch royal family earl of snowdon england fashion felipe vi general royal discussion gloucester hasnat khan helena her children hereditary princess sophie historical hohenzollern infanta cristina interests juan carlos king felipe and queen letizia current events king philippe king willem-alexander letizia lord snowdon meghan markle monaco nobel porphyria prince prince aymeric prince charles prince harry prince harry of wales prince nicholas princess princess beatrice princess diana princesses princess louise princess of belgium public image queen maxima royal royal ancestry royal geneology royal wedding state visit succession sweden swedish royal family theatre tiara van belgië visit to spain wedding wedding of prince harry windsor windsor castle wivies ww1



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises