The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 2: June 2011 - July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad look for today. Don't know how comfortable one can be in heels while dealing with walking on grass/soil. Props to her for not breaking any bones in those 'death traps' :).

Well, some people get aching feet by wearing flat shoes. It may sound unbelieveable, but it is true. Years ago I knew someone who had to wear heels during an outing to an amusement park - or she would be tired way too soon. That is at least what she said.

Anyone know if the Duchess changed clothes on her arrival to Quebec?

Look at the neck, upper chest area....rather bony...I still feel she looks splendid..

Kate looked great in the grey dress and I loved the shoes. I am still more in love with the Canada Day, red*white outfit, but this one is definitely another winner and a step up from the purple ill fitted dress.

I might point out that wearing red and white on a visit to Canada has been done by other British royal women, including the Queen and the late Princess of Wales. This was Canada Day, a patriotic celebration. It wasn't out of line for the Duchess of Cambridge to acknowledge that celebration (as many Canadians themselves did) with a nod to patriotic symbolism. As I said earlier, the maple leaf hat was charming: whimsical but not weird. I saw far weirder hats among the Canadian crowd. Hers was small, elegant, chic - and flat-out fun.

Looking more closely at the Reiss cream dress, I did have some concerns about its length -- just a couple of inches too short -- and the zipper was showing. That's a design and quality problem.

As for her other choices: the Catherine Walker dress in a gray nail-head fabric didn't excite me. The back was elegantly cut, but otherwise it was boring. The sleeves were slightly puffy, as were the sleeves on the bird-print Issa dress, and my view has always been that no one over the age of 10 should wear any dress with even slightly puffed sleeves.

But I loved the purple Issa dress. I might mention to Americans who find it hard to purchase Issa (I've done it through Neiman Marcus, but it wasn't easy), that they should look at the designers Tadashi Shoji and David Meister. I own a blue Shoji dress that is identical in cut to the Duchess's purple dress, and a Meister dress very similar to Issa designs.

Just a quick question out of curiosity: the claim is that the Duchess is 5'10" tall. I don't think she can be, since even in 3" heels, she is several inches (4-5) shorter than the purportedly 6'3" Prince William. At 5'10", she shouldn't be more than 2 inches shorter than he is in her very high heels.

Of course, he may not be as tall as claimed, but I think she's no taller than 5'8" in her stocking feet.

What do other people think?

From what I've read Catherien is 5'9; Diana was 5'10 I believe. Either way she is still quite a tall woman and needed to find herself a tall man so she could always wear heels when she wanted to.

Anyone know if the Duchess changed clothes on her arrival to Quebec?

From what I've seen, it doesn't look like it.

As for Catherine's hight, my guess is that she's in between 5'8 and 5'9 sans shoes/heels. Of course I've never seen her next to William when she was wearing flat shoes.

I'm not "worried" either ;)

I referenced two outfits out of many- clearly not a persistent problem.

She dresses a bit too much "to theme", which is an endearing but markedly unsophisticated tendency. Kate has undeniably exquisite taste and this should easily balance out the exuberance that is pushing her towards costumes. Still, it's something she should be mindful of.

There's already a rumour that she'll be wearing a LBD decorated to look like a roll of film to the BAFTA event.

I wonder who would be mean enough to suggest such a thing???:ermm:

Fabulous choice on the Katherine Walker dress and accessories! Best outfit so far. But she really hasn't put a foot wrong. I'm thrilled!

The grey Catherine Walker is lovely, but a touch plain. A pearl necklace, or some pretty bangles, would have added so much!

Sky News just showed them on the Navy Frigate HMCS Montreal and Catherine had altered to a black clutch instead of the earlier Hobbs clutch.

The grey dress was beyond plain, not elegant just dull. Above all, it really didn't fit well and was not accessorized. Yes, I like her, them, but really this is not terribly fashionable.

Not really a fan of the grey dress. Thought it was very plain & boring but appropriate for a future queen.

The grey dress was beyond plain, not elegant just dull. Above all, it really didn't fit well and was not accessorized. Yes, I like her, them, but really this is not terribly fashionable.

I completely agree. When seen from the back especially it looked very ill fitting. The dress was just OK but nothing special and I would never have guessed it was from a high end designer. Very dull overall, IMO.

Diana wore a rather plain dress in Ottawa as well. It was a long-sleeved dress with horizontal stripes and a square neck. Also, her formal dress in Ottawa was her hot pink strapped dress that so disappointed the Italians. At the time, a journalist made the point that Diana might have been dressing down to the level of the other ladies in Ottawa, who apparently aren't as stylish as in other parts of the country. Perhaps this was the case with Catherine as well. Let's see what else she's going to wear in Quebec, where they tend to be tres chic.:flowers:

It's true. I find flat shoes uncomfortable as well.:flowers:
Well, some people get aching feet by wearing flat shoes.

I thought that the dress was fine but a little bit too short for tree planting.

Not really a fan of the grey dress. Thought it was very plain & boring but appropriate for a future queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some very interesting points being made here.
This is why I think Catherine would benefit from having a stylist. It doesn't mean she can't pick clothes for herself or that she doesn't have a sense of style, many well known figures have, but a stylist would help her with a final touch, like a belt, a brooch, taking her out of comfort zone without changing completely her way.

I liked the grey dress the same way I liked the Erdem one, but I couldn't stop thinking There is something missing here.

Not a fan of the grey dress at all, too old for her IMO and the collar is just hideous, reminds me of a school uniform.
Since she has a top hair stylist with her on the trip, im surprised he is hardly doing his job. Her hair should've been up or pulled back without a doubt with the grey dress as her hair is covering the details of the dress which was the collar bit.

I like the grey dress for the simplicity...and elegance..she is visiting an hospital an cancer children...she is lovely...:flowers:

I personally have found something to like in each of the outfits so far. Catherine has set the bar high, & we all have our preferences but the brilliant thing is she is never "a disaster" or anything less than elegant imo.

I have to admit the grey dress certainly didn't float my boat! It looked to much like a somewhat ill-fitting School Uniform to me and, if she wore it to a hospital . . . . yikes how depressing. :sad:

Colour Catherine, colour!

I have to admit the grey dress certainly didn't float my boat! It looked to much like a somewhat ill-fitting School Uniform to me and, if she wore it to a hospital . . . . yikes how depressing. :sad:

Colour Catherine, colour!

I think it depends on what the occasion and venue are.

The image was a bit too dark and unclear, but she does not seem to have lost weight IMO.
Look back to pre-Princess coverage where she has always looked slim.

Cute dress, from what I can see. The problem with these closely fitting dresses is that when you sit down, an awful lot of thigh is exposed.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are seated for a prayer services on HMCS Montreal
Kate is wearing navy Erdem pre-fall collection dress (Erdem) , with LKBennett Sledge 2 shoes.

EDIT: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01936/willandkate1_1936592c.jpg

Here is a better picture

I really like the color and lace but I think it is a bit too formal for a daytime event IMO, should've been worn for a reception. Hair should've been up as the open hair covers half of the lace. The shoes are classic but way too light for the dress.

I love the dress. Too bad her hair is covering the lace portions, I would be nice to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the color of today's dress, as well as the lace detailing on top. Elegant and tasteful (and simple).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom