The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 2: June 2011 - July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know call me lame but hello she is married to the heir to the throne. She I am sure is not lacking the funds. This is her 1st tour overseas I was so expecting new outfits. She has lots of time to pick in her closet for a dress she wore before. Come on Kate show us what you got shopping!!! LOL I want to see new outfits.

Given the economic situation in the UK she is being very prudent in recycling her clothes already. But I understand what you mean - I'm loving her style and choices of clothes and very curious to see what she will wear next!

I'm confused (as I often am) as looking at the pictures from today it looks tighter than it did for the engagement photo?? (apart from the top of her arms)

MichelleVA, we'll see new outfits -- we've already seen two -- but the Duchess has made it clear that she is not going to be spending extravagantly -- and rightly so. Recycling clothes is intelligent and prudent, and it would be even if the economic situation were not as shaky as it is. Moreover, the Duke and Duchess don't have quite the same financial resources as William's parents did when they married. William isn't the Prince of Wales, he does not enjoy the income from the Duchy of Cornwall.

I do like that Reiss dress, but I wish they'd offer it in a color other than cream, which I can't wear. (Though most of Reiss's clothes are in subdued or neutral colors.) As for the hat, it's charming. Whimsical but not weird.

I loved Kate's red headpiece/hat. She has really made me fall in love with those types of head pieces.

The hat was the best part of the outfit IMO as well!

Loved today's outfit but the brooch blended into the white too much and looked a bit out of place IMO

The hat had maple leaves on it right? That is a very nice shoutout to the country she is in. Also I heard the broach was a maple leaf as well which is probably why she wore it. Perhaps it would have been more noticeable on a darker dress, but I still loved the outfit.

Love the outfit from today! If she's doing her own styling or if someone is helping her, either way, so far the outfits have been very well planned out. Today's outfit was especially nice and very smart styling with the facinator and brooch.

I think the combination of the Reiss dress and the brooch was good - the brooch was there, but not outstanding. More as a subtle addition, she really hits it off on this tour!

Im not talking about weight because its not the topic but the dress does look big compared to the first time she wore it, look at the picture in this link before and after, its quite obvious especially the sleeve part :flowers:
If an outfit doesn't fit well IMO it doesn't look so good and that is just IMO.

I agree that the dress doesn't fit well. Especially when you see the back views. The brooch is wonderful, but the ruffles, bags, and split skirt had a little too much going on for me. Great hat, shoes and brooch, and smile:)

I really thought the Hobbs crimson court shoes tied the outift together, I think that if the clutch had also been all red it may have been a bit much but I think it worked.

Let me preface this by saying that this is just an observation and I hope no one accuses me of having a wretched life because I am stating my opinion. :whistling:

The maple leaf fascinator confirms it.

Kate tends towards an overly literal interpretation of the events she attends and her “style” choices are beginning to look like costumes.

She looked lovely and completely "on message" in the maple leaf hat, but why would one go to Canada dressed as a Canadian flag?? This costume approach to dressing should stop. I hope she does not roll off the plane in California dressed as a grape, or journey to NY one day swathed in pale green, one arm holding a torch above her head. Or perhaps an elegant dress of red and white stripes and a blue fascinator sprinkled with stars when first arriving in the US? Enough already.

Another example- the military style dress she wore to the Irish Guard ceremony. While her message of solidarity was admirable, there is no need to play dress up and "match" the soldiers. First, it reduces their functional uniforms to a stock fashion aesthetic. Second, it is a bit silly, like wearing a sexy nurse’s uniform to a nursing school graduation or a black robe and white wig to a law school graduation.

Fashion can reference the locale and occasion succinctly without becoming a costume. Moderation is needed.

That said, I think her enthusiasm is adorable and truly endearing.

Oh dear ...

Let me preface this by saying that this is just an observation and I hope no one accuses me of having a wretched life because I am stating my opinion. :whistling:

The maple leaf fascinator confirms it.

Kate tends towards an overly literal interpretation of the events she attends and her “style” choices are beginning to look like costumes.

She looked lovely and completely "on message" in the maple leaf hat, but why would one go to Canada dressed as a Canadian flag?? This costume approach to dressing should stop. I hope she does not roll off the plane in California dressed as a grape, or journey to NY one day swathed in pale green, one arm holding a torch above her head. Or perhaps an elegant dress of red and white stripes and a blue fascinator sprinkled with stars when first arriving in the US? Enough already.

Another example- the military style dress she wore to the Irish Guard ceremony. While her message of solidarity was admirable, there is no need to play dress up and "match" the soldiers. First, it reduces their functional uniforms to a stock fashion aesthetic. Second, it is a bit silly, like wearing a sexy nurse’s uniform to a nursing school graduation or a black robe and white wig to a law school graduation.

Fashion can reference the locale and occasion succinctly without becoming a costume. Moderation is needed.

That said, I think her enthusiasm is adorable and truly endearing.

There is a logical part of me that agrees with this - at least in the notion that, if she is not now dressing in what seem to be "costumes", she is walking a very narrow line between homage and caricature.

It was only twice I had that feeling (same events you mention) but each time the small part of my mind that talks to the other parts said, "I hope someone advises her gently and kindly on this matter."

I love Kate's style and I suspect she is trying not to be a clothes horse. But since that is all anyone seems to care about, something tells me she is trying to leverage the natural interest into her own non verbal statement. The advice then, if this is the case, is this: subtle as she goes, Kate - it needs to be literature, not limerick.

I also love her enthusiasm and find it endearing.

... The Canada Day outfit was exaggeratedly patriotic on purpose. Look at the rest of the crowd- it's the theme of the day.

... The Canada Day outfit was exaggeratedly patriotic on purpose. Look at the rest of the crowd- it's the theme of the day.

Yes, I know. Elsewhere in this thread I applauded it. Still do ...

Given the circumstances, it's a non-starter. Perfectly appropriate. The military style coat struck a small "uh oh" chord in me which the Canada Day outfit simply echoed in a small, insignificant way.

I do not mean to imply that it was terrible - only that it will hopefully not be a trend where her outfits "try too hard" to be appropriate that they end up being a little costume-y.

That said, I have faith that her good sense will prevail.

Certainly no one can accuse Catherine of being "costumey" last evening. She looked gorgeous.

If people don't like the costume look, just wait for their visit to the western part of Canada and don the western look.

Until she wears a large straw hat and wears a calico dress visiting Prince Edward Island I'm not going to worry. :ROFLMAO:

For the tree planting and visit to the war museum Catherine is wearing a dove grey Catherine Walker 'Kensington' dress, completed with nude LK Benett shoes and the Hobbs 'Somerton' bag in silver. I think it's very stylish, lovely collered detail to back and of course a Catherine Walker dress how apt maybe symbolic (she is very symbolic too colours of dress, symbolisming of flowers etc). Especially as before leaving the grove of trees they stoped at the tree planted by Williams parents-dont you just love them :eek:))

Correction: It is reported that the shoes were not nude LK Benett but by Tabitha Simmons.

Last edited:
I agree that the dress doesn't fit well. Especially when you see the back views. The brooch is wonderful, but the ruffles, bags, and split skirt had a little too much going on for me. Great hat, shoes and brooch, and smile:)

I complained about the lack of a patriotic outfit then I got one and didn't like it. :lol:

The dress didn't work for me. The brooch blended in with it and the fit is/was off.

The Issa dress is nice in terms of color but once again the fit is off. I feel like if she is going to buy these nice clothes then she should invest in a tailor.

Hair was nice because it was off her face and yet it was still "soft."

Today's look was very nice. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Duke-Duchess-Cambridge-plant-tree-Canada.html

The best looks so far.

Last edited:
Certainly no one can accuse Catherine of being "costumey" last evening. She looked gorgeous.

If people don't like the costume look, just wait for their visit to the western part of Canada and don the western look.

Until she wears a large straw hat and wears a calico dress visiting Prince Edward Island I'm not going to worry. :ROFLMAO:

I'm not "worried" either ;)

I referenced two outfits out of many- clearly not a persistent problem.

She dresses a bit too much "to theme", which is an endearing but markedly unsophisticated tendency. Kate has undeniably exquisite taste and this should easily balance out the exuberance that is pushing her towards costumes. Still, it's something she should be mindful of.

There's already a rumour that she'll be wearing a LBD decorated to look like a roll of film to the BAFTA event.

Not a bad look for today. Don't know how comfortable one can be in heels while dealing with walking on grass/soil. Props to her for not breaking any bones in those 'death traps' :).

love the dress today. Very well cut. Nice shoes too

Catherine looks very elegant today, nice dress.

Kate's dress was nice,but very simple

I do have a question; has she lost a dress size? I always thought she looks lovely, so I was shocked to see recent pictures of her. Thanks

I do have a question; has she lost a dress size? I always thought she looks lovely, so I was shocked to see recent pictures of her. Thanks

Although I don't like to discuss weight one way or the other....she has lost weight when you compare the recent pictures to ones from a few years back.

The dress is very nice, love the little daring v in the back :)

I am hoping for a skirt/top combo or some pants sooner rather then later just to break up the dress.....but doesn't mean they aren't wonderful dresses

Her grey dress is beautiful, it flatteres her tanned complexion, but I don't like the collar. BTW, her figure is to die for, I want the same, how can I do :~)) To me, she's slim, but she looks healthy and sportive.

Last edited:
Although I don't like to discuss weight one way or the other....she has lost weight when you compare the recent pictures to ones from a few years back.

Yeah, I guess it's for another thread but she does look practically skeletal. I understand that one can be a healthy weight or even thin and still look "full" in pictures, but skinnying oneself down to nothing is not a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom