The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 2: June 2011 - July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said previously that there are laws about "borrowing" clothes. It's not like borrowing jewelry that can easily be returned without damage. "Borrowing" clothes may require alterations and damage that prevent anyone else from wearing an item.

The Duchess has said that she will not accept free gifts (on which, if UK laws are the same as those elsewhere, she would have to pay taxes); and if she's smart, she will be very clear about what she might have borrowed and then returned to the designer.

I hope she doesn't "borrow". I hope she wears what she's bought outright, mixed with items she already owns. I know that everyone is waiting to see her in a fabulous new wardrobe, to be unveiled in Canada and the US, but the current economic climate isn't very welcoming to the opening of an expensive royal closet.

I love the way she dresses; I hope she will be very judicious and conservative about the way she dresses on this upcoming tour.

St James' Palace pays for all the clothes that Catherine uses, they do not accept freebies.

Aliza said:
IMO, Kate has looked better in most of her post-wedding dresses than in her choice for Wimbledon.

dazzling said:
I would disagree that her pre-wedding looks are much nicer, they were looks for Kate Middleton and not the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate has married into royalty and has become a Duchess and a future wife of a King therefore her looks/outfits had to change to more appropriate for her role.

Her dresses before the marriage were way to casual for her position.

I think Aliza meant Kates Wimbeldon outfit was not as nice as others she's worn since her wedding- not a pre-wedding comparassion but a post wedding one..... (but I may have misunderstood)

Not a fan of the dress, but Kate does it justice. Like her earrings, and hair.
On the hanger, it has little appeal to me. But Kate makes it look nice.

I have said previously that there are laws about "borrowing" clothes. It's not like borrowing jewelry that can easily be returned without damage. "Borrowing" clothes may require alterations and damage that prevent anyone else from wearing an item. The Duchess has said that she will not accept free gifts (on which, if UK laws are the same as those elsewhere, she would have to pay taxes); and if she's smart, she will be very clear about what she might have borrowed and then returned to the designer.

Borrowing would be a bad idea. Then the clothes become like the dress she modeled for the university student fashion show - auctioned off. It was one thing for Diana to auction off her own clothes, it's another thing to have somebody else auction off clothes associated with a royal.

I think Aliza meant Kates Wimbeldon outfit was not as nice as others she's worn since her wedding- not a pre-wedding comparassion but a post wedding one..... (but I may have misunderstood)

:previous:
I was not comparing, just stating that she has to dress differently now & that her dresses were casual for her new position as this new white dress she has worn is quite dressy but ideal for her.

dazzling said:
I was not comparing, just stating that she has to dress differently now & that her dresses were casual for her new position as this new white dress she has worn is quite dressy but ideal for her.

Oh sorry- you said you disagreed that her prewedding looks were nicer thus I thought you were saying you disagreed with the previous opinion which was not what the poster had said- I apologize for misinterpreting your post :)

Such a beautiful look for Kate.
Love everything about it especially the hair :wub:

Thank you for clarifying that for me!:flowers: I was indeed referring to her wardrobe AFTER the wedding and not when she was either the single or engaged Miss Middleton.

The white tennis outfit is absolutely lovely - elegant and cool for the warm weather. It was quite dressy for the occassion and would be super at a summer party but when it comes to being over-dressed I think it's William in that suit, shirt and tie! He's in uniform most days at work, you'd think he'd be more comfortable in a nice shirt and linen trousers!

......but when it comes to being over-dressed I think it's William in that suit, shirt and tie! He's in uniform most days at work, you'd think he'd be more comfortable in a nice shirt and linen trousers!

I have no doubt that William would be more comfortable in linen trousers, but I suspect that royal etiquette dictates he is dressed formally.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like a comfortable outfit for traveling.

You think so.......I think it looks very comfortable. Look how movable the dress seems in the pictures. All she needs to do is remove the jacket.She might put something more comfortable on when she gets on the plane. Most likely she will change once she lands in Canada.

Now while I think it looks comfortable I certainly wouldn't travel in it. I am all for comfort....nice jeans or jogging suit. But than again, most people aren't looking to take a picture of me as I enter and leave an airplane.

I think Kate wore what she wore as they were received by the Canadian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom at the airport so had to look quite professional but who know, she could always have a change of very comfortable clothes to change into in the plane & have another change which is formal for landing in Canada.

You think so.......I think it looks very comfortable. Look how movable the dress seems in the pictures. All she needs to do is remove the jacket.She might put something more comfortable on when she gets on the plane. Most likely she will change once she lands in Canada.

Now while I think it looks comfortable I certainly wouldn't travel in it. I am all for comfort....nice jeans or jogging suit. But than again, most people aren't looking to take a picture of me as I enter and leave an airplane.

She may well change into a track suit the moment she is on board, and change again before getting off.

She may well change into a track suit the moment she is on board, and change again before getting off.

Yes, I believe thats what i said:flowers:

Although to be honest I have seen older pictures of royals in the plane and they are wearing outfits that have been photographed in the press. So I am not sure if these are taken as they just get on the plane or are about to depart the plane.

Sorry to be a pain, but Kate is a representative of The Crown.
Her style is exactly right.
Later on, when they're settling in, he and she can shine.

I so agree, Renata! How smart she is to avoid the pitfalls that have on occasion characterized the York girls. I'm sure she will dial it up slowly. Kate is an important representative of crown and country and she shows unerring good sense in opting for stylish conservatism in the beginning.

I totally agree.

Kate is conservatively dressed because she is working. She is representing the British Crown and its people. She isn't an actress, a singer or a reality star. Frankly, she looks like (at least in her daytime attire) what her peers are wearing (for the most part anyway).

My work experience as been in sales and at Kate's age, I was wearing suits like this. They may be boring but they are professional looking. Kate is selling Britain. You are never going to see her coming off a plane looking a mess or on her way to a club.

Last edited:
Fully agree with Zonk. Kate has to be elegant but not more. She can not get out of the plane like an Itlaina star of the 50ies! Nothing on her should be neither flashy nor provocative, and she succeds perfectly on this.

Kate is elegant with this nice navy dress. I cannot wait to see her in Quebec City !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom