The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 2: June 2011 - July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
please don't call her a style icon
i dont know how we cant say she isnt, the fascinators are pretty hot. whatever she wears fashion will follow. i think that is how a style icon works-they wear what they like and it looks great on them and the rest of us copy thinking we'll look just a good

Last edited:
i dont know how we cant say she isnt, the fascinators are pretty hot. whatever she wears fashion will follow. i think that is how a style icon works-they wear what they like and it looks great on them and the rest of us copy thinking we'll look just a good
She has not been in the public eye long enough to become a style icon. She does not yet have a discernable style of her own. She has been wearing some nice clothes and as she is the new celebrity in England whatever she wears will be popular. With time and help of a stylist and with her make-up she may become a style icon. But that depends on if she actually develops a style of her own or merely dresses in nice pieces.

I think when they say "style icon" they mean that many people look up to her for fashion, she has made outfits sell out in just an hour or so, so I guess she could be called one.

She has not been in the public eye long enough to become a style icon. She does not yet have a discernable style of her own. She has been wearing some nice clothes and as she is the new celebrity in England whatever she wears will be popular. With time and help of a stylist and with her make-up she may become a style icon. But that depends on if she actually develops a style of her own or merely dresses in nice pieces.

Exactly. For me it takes years, if not decades to become a style icon = a unique very personal style of wearing clothes that compliment one's personality what needs to be created with time and is not about wearing pretty clothes by hip labels.

Kate may look pretty but is all in all very bland.

I wouldn't say the Duchess's style is "boring" or "bland", but she has long proven herself to be something of a traditionalist when it comes to clothes, and there's nothing wrong with that. The coat/dress combinations that she likes are very "royal" in their approach, and perhaps for the time being, that's what she feels most confident wearing as she assumes her new role. But it's also possible that they are simply what she LIKES best, and the fact is that she wears them quite well. On other women, older and with other physiques, they can look dowdy, but they do not on her.

Yes, she may become more adventurous -- the McQueen coat for the Trooping event was fairly progressive in style -- but very high style, very progressive clothing is often very, very expensive (and not easily recyclable), and my guess is that she's going to continue to wear a lot of lower-end, versatile pieces in which she feels comfortable and safe.

As for being a style icon, it isn't necessary to be all that unique and personal in one's choices to become one; you simply need to make admired and influential choices. Jackie Kennedy is a good example of an icon whose clothes were beautiful and elegant but not particularly unusual for her day. A style icon is an icon because people not only admire her style, they feel they can emulate it. That's hard to do if a woman's style is so unique and personal that it would work (or be affordable) for very few other people.

I agree completely with what Vittoria said above. I wanted to try and understand why some people think that Catherine looks bland and I suppose it must be because she has developed a very "safe" style and wears similar kinds of clothes rather than surprising us all each time with items that we wouldn't have expected her to wear. She is not avant-garde or daring in her choices and she is clearly not allowing designers to put her in what they deem she should wear.
As for being a style icon - and I can only assume that is what many people want her to be - I don't think it's going to happen because I think Catherine is more of a fashion follower rather than a trend setter.

I agree completely with what Vittoria said above. I wanted to try and understand why some people think that Catherine looks bland and I suppose it must be because she has developed a very "safe" style and wears similar kinds of clothes rather than surprising us all each time with items that we wouldn't have expected her to wear. She is not avant-garde or daring in her choices and she is clearly not allowing designers to put her in what they deem she should wear.
As for being a style icon - and I can only assume that is what many people want her to be - I don't think it's going to happen because I think Catherine is more of a fashion follower rather than a trend setter.

Agree. She seems to have yet to decide if she is modern or conservative. Her kh coat vs. That Stella McCartney dress worn at phillip's 90th birthday or even that Alexander McQueen coat.
Also I think, that while I liked her outfit at the garter ceremony, she isn't the first person to wear the look. Plenty of women do the dress/coat look.

Agree. She seems to have yet to decide if she is modern or conservative.

With respect, does she need to choose? Different day, different mood.

i think its wonderful to have someone in the public eye that can dress in a nice, stylish way without bearing it all to the public

OK, but that doesn't mean she won't accept deep discounts.

I wish people would stop bringing up Diana at every freakin turn when it comes to Kate. Diana is dead and has been for 14yrs; stop trying to recreate the "Diana days" with a woman who is almost her complete opposite.
As for Kate being a style icon, it could be argued that she is and has been building it up for years. Most of the pics I have seen commending her style are from her years in London when she and William were still dating.

Indeed, who wouldn't accept deep discounts?

In my case I would make every big UK brand send me racks and racks of their clothes, however, once you are in her position, being scrutinize all the time, one must think differently. That chola dress she wore was all over the news because it was made in a factory by 70 cents or sometin' like that. I just hope she does it her way, not like some other princess in waiting that are being manufacture by palace insiders.

I have nothing against deep discounts. I mentioned it first, by golly.

Why must everyone have a dig at other princesses-in-waiting on this thread? Stop it, right now!

Thanks for the makeup demo, Empress Merel. I don't think I could stand to have that much stuff on my face for more than 20 seconds. But, if I ever have to, I know how!

:previous:

Gosh that video was really good! I can't believe there are so many stages to applying makeup and she did look rather like Catherine at the end!

I have nothing against deep discounts. I mentioned it first, by golly.

Why must everyone have a dig at other princesses-in-waiting on this thread? Stop it, right now!

Thanks for the makeup demo, Empress Merel. I don't think I could stand to have that much stuff on my face for more than 20 seconds. But, if I ever have to, I know how!

Everyone has a dig? Okay :whistling:

I don't think I could stand that much stuff on my face for any amount of time. I was shown how to apply make-up by a friend several years ago, and decided that in all honesty, it wasn't worth getting up early to do that on daily basis (or ever in my case).

Props to Duchess of Cambridge for having the patience to do this probably several times a day (I'd imagine she'd need to touch it up at some point).

Refrain ,my previous comment should've criticized more the people behind the scene than the ladies themselves. But hey, if they prefer that way.....

Also, that You tube channel is my favorite one. I was really surprised they made a video w/ Catherine's make up since some are very vocal about it ;)
As a makeup geek myself I can say that once you begin you can't stop. For me is as natural as brushing my teeth or combing my hair.

I think you might be right, hana. It does look like a McQueen design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom