The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 2: June 2011 - July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dress she's wearing today underneath the coat, I think it's the same dress she wore under that blue coat the first time we saw it.

I don't think so. The dress is part of Katherine Hooker's Spring/Summer 2011 collection and has a bit of a cowl neckline.
Photo from Getty Images

The dress underneath the blue coat worn in 2009 did not have this neckline:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/14/article-1206622-06106AFF000005DC-371_224x608.jpg

I t is similar to Sophie's at Epsom though obviously a different colour. Nice on her like the shoes.

The coat that Sophie wore during the Epsom Derby is also a Katherine Hooker Buxton coat:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/12/article-2002586-0C677FB300000578-939_224x485.jpg

The Daily Mail misidentified it as Bruce Oldfield, but on the facebook page of Katherine Hooker, they say it is theirs. Note that Sophie is also wearing the LK Bennett shoes that Catherine wore the same day.

I don't find the outfit boring at all. A brighter color would have been nice but Kate looked beautiful. I love the intricate designs on the sleeves & waist.

Well said! To all the people who think that her style is boring, Catherine is the future king of England's wife. She can't dress like Lady Gaga ;), or more reasonably like every youg woman, if she's taking part to an official event. When she's not to these events, she dresses as a modern and casual young woman, with jeans. Maybe boring, but it's her style, and I think that it suits her perfectly.
Beautiful hair, and beautiful smile.
It is possible to dress like a future Queen and still look your age for example Princess Letizia always looks perfect at all events and always stylish. Kate looks like she is taking style tips from Camilla and Princess Anne. Her mother is far more modern. Its ok to play it safe if thats what she wants but please don't call her a style icon. Don't get me wrong I think she is lovely and beautful but it really is a joke to refer to her as a style icon. She will make a great Princess and her style fits in perfectly with the British Royal family. And no thats not a compliment but by playing it safe she won't ruffle any royal feathers as real style icons like Diana and Wallis Simpson did.

I would hate to compare her to Letizia who can look good when she puts forth an effort. For her everyday engagements sometimes she looks as if she just rolled out of bed and picked something off the floor!

I think Kate is best being Kate. And for the record, even style icons like Wallis and Diana started off slow. Need I bring up Diana's outfits during 1981?

Last edited:
Full view:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/076Y9E00FHcpS/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gW3el5bVNcUq/x610.jpg

Great outfit, not boring at all, at least the outfit. Kate pretty much blends in into the style of BRF women, safe, conservative, quality.
What I find boring is that Kate herself always looks the same, heavy make up and hairstyle-wise, what makes her look old in addition to the conservative outfits.

ITA. It bothers me a bit to be honest - how great her outfits may be (didn't like the recycled blue coat from yesterday though, btw), it's never a great change or surprise as hairstyle and make up still have their "défauts" and yet stay the same all the time. :sad: But judging the outfit alone here, for me it is a winner. It's a GREAT fascinator, the color is really interesting and the coat has a nice design. Not boring at all but very elegant! :flowers:

The Duchess of Cambridge is doing a fine job so far considering she's only been married 6 weeks. From her manner and body language you'd never suspect she may be nervous. Then again she really may not be nervous at all. Good for her and I look forward to following her and the rest of the royal family for years to come. :flowers:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but....... what is the precedence of royal ladies now with and without their husbands. Thanks in advance

Diana from the start, for better or worse,had sense of drama about her style. She was never afraid to try something new. Wallis was by her own admission was not a conventional beauty and used style to distract from that.
My problem is I really like Kate as person and for me she plays it waaaaayyyyy to safe with her style. I know she could do so much more with herself. If she was the future Princess Of Monaco, who when I see interviewed I have difficulty warming to, I could forget about it but I want Kate to shine. I really believe she will be a great Princess who could make real style statements.

I have to chuckle at some of the comments about Catherine being boring or looking the same all the time - no different to anyone really!! I am quite sure that as time goes on and she settles into her role and as fashions change we will see her in different styles etc. The last thing I want to see is her trying all sorts of different ideas and styles and looking a mess in the process! Safe and conservative is fine by me if it avoids her being a fashion victim!!

I agree with you. I think The Duchess of Cambridge may just be playing it safe with clothes and jewels for now. She doesn't want to get a stupid nickname from the press already so I guess she thinks if she stays neutral in everything the worse she can be called is boring...My guess anyway. i think she is a very confident woman but I think she needs time to become confident in her new role. Give her time and we'll see which way she starts to turn

Diana from the start, for better or worse,had sense of drama about her style. She was never afraid to try something new.

You must be kidding!!!She was totally afraid to try something new apart from her Sloane Ranger-Style.

I have to disagree she managed to make sloane ranger look hip. I always remember her trying new styles and yes there were mistakes, many if I remember, but i'd rather that than dressing like Camilla.That said at least Camilla dresses her age.

We must also remember that Diana was 19 and Catherine is 29. In terms of dress/fashion that is a big difference. IMO, Catherine dresses in a very timeless manner and also is very wise that she does not draw a lot of attention to herself. Diana sometimes did just the opposite which did not always work out for the best. Diana also came more into her own fashion wise after her separation.

Why does there have to be such an obsession with fashion.

Fashion is in and out.

Royalty should be dressed appropriately for the ocassion.

If you start down the road of always being fashion conscious it
will only lead to trouble.

Catherine is a beautiful confidant young lady and now a Duchess.

I truly hope that she does not get into reading her own press and
falling for what Princess Diana became - a slave to fashion and the press.

Grace chic said:
It is possible to dress like a future Queen and still look your age for example Princess Letizia always looks perfect at all events and always stylish.

Many, many, many people would disagree with this statement....her fashion threads are often filled with the opposite sentiment

I don't think so. The dress is part of Katherine Hooker's Spring/Summer 2011 collection and has a bit of a cowl neckline.
Photo from Getty Images

The dress underneath the blue coat worn in 2009 did not have this neckline:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/14/article-1206622-06106AFF000005DC-371_224x608.jpg

The coat that Sophie wore during the Epsom Derby is also a Katherine Hooker Buxton coat:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/12/article-2002586-0C677FB300000578-939_224x485.jpg

The Daily Mail misidentified it as Bruce Oldfield, but on the facebook page of Katherine Hooker, they say it is theirs. Note that Sophie is also wearing the LK Bennett shoes that Catherine wore the same day.

Thanks for this information. Princess Eugenie (Or Beatrice, I can't quite remember) also has the same LK Bennett shoes, which both she and Sophie wore to the Easter Service in April.

I do like the coat, very elegant & polished. Maybe a bit too old for her 29 years but like I mentioned before, she's playing it safe which is admirable. Their trip to Canada & the US should be interesting.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n374/royalmb/kate/blackpumpscloseup.jpg

Can anyone identify which brand of shoes has a gold logo on the soles? I've never seen such a thing on soles of shoes. The left is Catherine and the right is Pippa (wearing a size 37). I'm assuming this is a British brand.

LK Bennett

Last edited by a moderator:
I just loved, loved, loved Kate's choices for the Garter Ceremony. This is the first time that (minus the hat) her style reminded me of the late Diana, Princess of Wales' style.(And no, I'm not one of those who is looking for her to be the "next Diana" nor even to emulate Diana's fashion choices. She needs to be herself and IMHO - she does it very well indeed) The whole tone of her outfit was superbly understated and chic, but the grey shoes added a richness to the ensemble. Brava, Kate!

I haven't read the entire thread - does anyone know who designed her coat and dress? I'm quite sure I recognise Philip Treacy as the milliner, but the coat and dress show echoes of Catherine Walker, at least to me.

I haven't read the entire thread - does anyone know who designed her coat and dress? I'm quite sure I recognise Philip Treacy as the milliner, but the coat and dress show echoes of Catherine Walker, at least to me.

The coat and dress are from Katherine Hooker Spring/Summer 2011 collection. It's called the Buxton coat and dress. The hat is from Rachel Trevor-Morgan.

The blog 'What Kate Wore' is devoted to finding out all these things. You might want to check it out. It's my 'go to' place when I want to know what designer Kate wears.

What Kate Wore

I thought they were LK Bennett, but none of their shoes have a gold logo on the soles.

I believe they're Prada.

PRADA

If you select women ---> Footwear ----> Pumps I believe they might be the first set of black pumps in the second row.

Last edited:
I believe they're Prada.

PRADA

If you select women ---> Footwear ----> Pumps I believe they might be the first set of black pumps in the second row.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Indeed the Middletons' shoes are Prada, but it's not from the current season. The 2011 collection has the PRADA name closer to the heels.
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n374/royalmb/prada2011-1.jpg
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n374/royalmb/prada2011.jpg

The older seasons, like Kate and Pippa's, have the PRADA name closer to the toes. These PRADA shoes from older collections have the same gold logo:
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n374/royalmb/pradapumps.jpg
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n374/royalmb/pradapumps2.jpg

What I found interesting though is not all PRADA shoes have this gold logo, so I wonder if it means it's a higher end?

The gray Katherine Hooker coat is nice -- beautifully tailored -- but not knockout; however, Hooker's designs tend to be rather conservative and traditionalist. The Duchess has a light brown wool coat by her -- she had it shortened and wore it for her first engagement, christening the lifeboat on Anglesey -- and her mother has worn Hooker.

I do love the hat -- both creative and elegant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have loved everything she has worn over these last days.I like her in a hat though am not a fasinator fan, and loved the Garter black one. Her little purses are a lovely touch they are very sweet and the LK Bennet one was a real hit for me.

The coat and dress are from Katherine Hooker Spring/Summer 2011 collection. It's called the Buxton coat and dress. The hat is from Rachel Trevor-Morgan.

The blog 'What Kate Wore' is devoted to finding out all these things. You might want to check it out. It's my 'go to' place when I want to know what designer Kate wears.

What Kate Wore

Thank you very much for the blog; it will stop my guessing games and save me much time!

I do wonder if Katherine Hooker took any inspiration from The Chelsea Design Company (Catherine Walker). Carole Middleton looked superb on the big day and I think the Duchess would look fantastic in their designs as well. However, I'm sure she is trying to not over-emulate the late Diana, Princess of Wales - which I find both understandable and commendable.

I am enjoying the new Duchess' fashion sense, particularly in the daytime, more and more with each new event. She dresses with the epitome of class, the type of class you can't buy nor even be born into.

Posted this here since it talks about the upcoming tour & the fashion

Kate Middleton is ready to mix it in America
Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom