The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #581  
Old 07-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Britters's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DC, United States
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
What's with all this navy blue?
Her outfits on this trip keeps getting worse IMO. Hope she has some exciting outfits planned for LA.
People tend to stick with what they're most comfortable in when they know they're going to be scrutinized. I know if I'm going to be photographed, or somewhere where I'm likely to be looked at more than just in passing, I stick with black, navy, white or grey...they're comforting colors to me that I know I photograph well in. Maybe that's the case with Catherine.

She looks unbelievable in red, and as we've seen before the engagement, she where's bright colors well, so there is hope for her yet, it's just going to take some time to get there apparently.
__________________

__________________
Have you ever wished on a star? It's a magic everyone needs to experience!
  #582  
Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Aliza's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
People tend to stick with what they're most comfortable in when they know they're going to be scrutinized. I know if I'm going to be photographed, or somewhere where I'm likely to be looked at more than just in passing, I stick with black, navy, white or grey...they're comforting colors to me that I know I photograph well in. Maybe that's the case with Catherine.

She looks unbelievable in red, and as we've seen before the engagement, she where's bright colors well, so there is hope for her yet, it's just going to take some time to get there apparently.
I too just love how Kate looks in red; even that pop of colour when she wore the red scarf a few days ago just made her face and whole look just come alive.

Do you agree, however, that her choice of neutral colours and to a lesser degree, not wearing hats (bar once)in Canada, make it more difficult for her to stand out in a crowd and be seen by those in the back rows?

The DM had an article yesterday about how Kate is supposedly bringing "nude stockings" back into vogue and that Royal rules decree she must wear them. I find it hard to believe that, as Diana, Princess of Wales was already not wearing stockings by 1983 on her tours of Australia, New Zealand, and Canada if the weather was too hot, and I don't remember any criticism. In later years, Diana often decided whether she would wear stockings based also on whether she felt they complimented her clothes of the day or not. It's hard to believe Kate has been "told" to follow a "rule" that her husband's mother did away with thirty years ago!

I was a child living in Ottawa the first time I saw the Princess of Wales in 1983; it was the day before Prince William's first birthday, and she spoke about talking to him on the telephone that morning when she came to where I was standing with my parents. She was wearing a striped blue and green dress, with a white hat similar to her going-away hat, with a long full feather, and the hat made it possible to follow her movements when she was further away, along with the bright colour choices. (I think there was yellow in the dress as well.)

To sum it up, I just worry that the muted palette the Duchess of Cambridge seems to prefer will make it more difficult for her to be seen and I am wondering if anyone else agrees with me and also how important a factor is that issue when choosing a royal wardrobe?
__________________

__________________
  #583  
Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 2,800
Lucky you to have seen Diana. And yes, I have explained many times to folks that the reason the royals wear bright colors is so people can spot them in a crowd.
I have always followed that advice when my children have been on stage for a receital or performance. They could easily spot me.
__________________
  #584  
Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 119
Skippy, that's not a T-shirt; it's a silk-chiffon blouse. And yes, blouses are generally worn tucked in, even with jeans, so that belts can be seen.
__________________
  #585  
Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Aliza's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Lucky you to have seen Diana. And yes, I have explained many times to folks that the reason the royals wear bright colors is so people can spot them in a crowd.
I have always followed that advice when my children have been on stage for a receital or performance. They could easily spot me.
Yes, I was very lucky to get to see Diana so young! My parents were in the diplomatic corps and they allowed me to accompany them many times when something historical or a Royal Tour was in progress. They were stationed in Ottawa from 1980-1985 and so I also was able to meet the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh when HM arrived to sign the Canadian Constitution in 1982.

I hope the new Duchess will realise that her visibility is very important; I don't mean to criticise her, she has been elegantly attired for all the Canadian tour, but I can just imagine that some have returned home a bit disappointed if they were in the back rows and could not easily see her. Hats would help, too!

The best part is the Duchess looks wonderful in colours, so it would be a win win situation for HRH. It's hard to believe (of course I do believe it, lol) that Kate is the same height as Diana; she seems so much smaller. Perhaps it's their builds which differ. Diana was rangy and Kate seems to be petite boned. The Duchess still seems too thin for me, but it is so understandable with all the pressure on HRH since the engagement was announced. I hope the British Press will give her some breathing room and not over-analyse her as they did to Diana. She needs time to "find her feet" and I think she is very lucky to have Prince William, who will understand that so well due to how his Mother confided in him about her own life and adjustment to becoming royal. Maybe the muted colour palette will slowly be brightened as HRH gains in experience and confidence. Either way, for all my comments here, I still think Kate is the epitome of elegance and good taste the vast majority of the time.
__________________
  #586  
Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Britters's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DC, United States
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
Yes, I was very lucky to get to see Diana so young! My parents were in the diplomatic corps and they allowed me to accompany them many times when something historical or a Royal Tour was in progress. They were stationed in Ottawa from 1980-1985 and so I also was able to meet the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh when HM arrived to sign the Canadian Constitution in 1982.

I hope the new Duchess will realise that her visibility is very important; I don't mean to criticise her, she has been elegantly attired for all the Canadian tour, but I can just imagine that some have returned home a bit disappointed if they were in the back rows and could not easily see her. Hats would help, too!

The best part is the Duchess looks wonderful in colours, so it would be a win win situation for HRH. It's hard to believe (of course I do believe it, lol) that Kate is the same height as Diana; she seems so much smaller. Perhaps it's their builds which differ. Diana was rangy and Kate seems to be petite boned. The Duchess still seems too thin for me, but it is so understandable with all the pressure on HRH since the engagement was announced. I hope the British Press will give her some breathing room and not over-analyse her as they did to Diana. She needs time to "find her feet" and I think she is very lucky to have Prince William, who will understand that so well due to how his Mother confided in him about her own life and adjustment to becoming royal. Maybe the muted colour palette will slowly be brightened as HRH gains in experience and confidence. Either way, for all my comments here, I still think Kate is the epitome of elegance and good taste the vast majority of the time.
I definitely agree that sooner or later she's going to have to start wearing brighter colors, but for now, she's doing a great job of being supportive and "toeing the line," so to speak. I think as she grows more comfortable with her role and is more accustomed to what her job entails, we'll see her wardrobe spark. At least, I hope...
__________________
Have you ever wished on a star? It's a magic everyone needs to experience!
  #587  
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 119
"Toeing" the line, not "towing".

And yes, I'll agree: she's doing it, especially in terms of simple, tasteful, clothies, which I like.
__________________
  #588  
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 PM
missjane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 509
I think her outfits have been sleek and elegant, even the casual ones. She knows what works for her and what suits her.
__________________
  #589  
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Humera's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 6,759
Here's a good article which mentions how Queen Elizabeth and other members of her family have historically chosen clothes that make a statement about the links between Canada and its monarchy. Catherine is following in those footsteps.

Kate connects with Canadians through everywoman wardrobe choices
. . .
Although the duchess is putting her own personal spin on her sartorial choices, Toffoli said royals have been using fashion to make statements since time immemorial. Queen Elizabeth, in her first tour of Canada as Queen in 1957, wore her coronation gown to open that year's session of Parliament. Toffoli said this was meant to show the importance of her role as Queen of Canada. "Fashion changes, how you wear it changes, but the principle doesn't," said Toffoli.


And a news clip on the subject: CBC.ca Player
__________________
  #590  
Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 AM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 18,869
The new thread can be
found here

__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 1: June 2011 - November 2011 dazzling Archives 399 11-11-2011 05:20 PM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 3: July 2011 - August 2011 dazzling Archives 403 08-19-2011 04:40 PM
Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 20: June 2011 - August 2011 JessRulz Archives 392 08-03-2011 03:57 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Fashion and Style, Part 1: May 2011 - June 2011 JessRulz Archives 399 06-11-2011 11:57 AM
Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 11: July 2010 - June 2011 iceflower Archives 402 06-08-2011 02:42 AM




Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]