The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanievl View Post
I don't like todays dress for the ceremony that much.

She wears the same coat as she did at Charleston in 2008
Hertogin van Cambridge: officieel bezoek aan Canada dag 5 - Fashion of royals

I think it's a different coat.

Today may be their best day of photographs. Her knitted dress was lovely and they both seem very much in their element.

I realize it does not make sense to criticize her for not being more daring in her fashion choices. She is a wonderful role model for tasteful modest dressing and she has enough confidence in who she is to dress in her own style.

Her happiness with William is very touching. I couldn't be happier for them.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Royal Highness

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...e-fashion.html

Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Aristocracy

The "nautical style" doesn't thrill me; really an unfortunate choice, though she looks decent in it. Few women could wear that style or that cable-knitted fabric effectively, and though the Duchess just manages to get away with it, I hope we don't see that dress again.

She needs to have her hems weighted, against the wind.

I did like the inexpensive cream Joseph dress with its little Chanelesque jacket. I didn't think it looked "grandma-ish" at all.

She had a bra exposure moment in that dress. Hard to avoid when you're wearing something sleeveless, and the bra was flesh-colored, but she may want to get some help with avoiding underwear exposures -- such as the hem-weighting I mentioned above. Fine to wear Spanx-style underfittings beneath a knitted dress (everyone should do that), but you don't want the media to see them.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 PM

@Vittoria, you really can't have a knit fabric's hems weighted, because it would pull down and distort the line of the dress.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Courtier

I don't mind the sailor dress but it isn't something you can really wear anywhere. It looks cute there. She certainly seems to have a colour palate. dark blue, cream and purple. I love the ponytail she needs to do more with her hair. Some of her clothes just seem more boring then anything. I think she is finding her feet and as time goes on she may experiment a bit more. At least she isn't sticking flags in her hair etc! I think she has lost a little more she would have been nervous about her first big trip but hopefully she will gain a little as she settles into married life with William. She needs too otherwise it could interfere with her plans for motherhood. I do love the Dragonboat pictures and William is always looking proud of her and encouraging her which is very important at this early stage. I think for her first tour she has done well she just needs to add a bit more colour to her wardrobe!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

The dress people are calling the Sailor outfit I call the Sweater Dress, I think it is really nice and cute and she looks nice in it. It is in my top 5 Canada outfits.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Aristocracy

Royalfart, not true. I've done it. It didn't cause a problem with my knitted dress at all. Light small weights in the hem are the key.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Aristocracy

royalfart

Hee!!! Great name. And completely off topic.

Uh... I liked Kate's blue dress! (Yes, ALL of them!) and I'm not being snarky.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 AM

It may be possible, it's hard to say without seeing the dress in person, but as a knitter, it looked like (1) the dress was already fairly heavy because it was knit (versus woven), so weights that were light enough not to pull the dress out of shape might not have been any help preventing it from blowing up. (If you look, it's a fairly large gauge and thick-ish yarn—look at the cables—and not a firm knit, like a St. John's double-knit suit) and (2) the dress had an unusual hem, with a sort of ruffle knit into the design. I think that any weights would have quickly changed the movement and drape of that hem.

She may have assumed that the weight of the knitted fabric would be enough to prevent it from flying up, but apparently Canadian winds were too strong.

If you look at this photo here, even the Queen, who must always wear weighted skirts, has the wind get the best of her at times:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4BC...s1600/Wind.jpg
Old 07-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Day 2 outfit - Recycled Reiss dress with a red headpiece.

Look 1 ** Look 2
Dress itself is nice but too short and too big I think. I love the clutch but fan shape looks 'interesting' in Canada. The hat is cute, little up-do could be better. Overall pretty look for Canada Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I like this gray dress, interesting collar. Hate these silver shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Another nice dress but its getting boring since all dresses are so similar, blue, navy, grey.
http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/201...-quebec-05.jpg
http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.c...011/07/03m.jpg
I like this dress, Erdem indeed is one of the most interesting young designers but for me this piece is too elegant for daytime events, it's more cocktail dress.

My favorite looks so far. Fresh, summery, youthful. I like the jacket, something different. Nice accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I think we can safely assume that the new Flapper Sailor Barbie has just hit the shelves...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...60_470x676.jpg
Old Alexander McQueen. I understand the idea but I'm not a fan of this look. Heavy material looks strange, ill fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanievl View Post
She wears the same coat as she did at Charleston in 2008
Hertogin van Cambridge: officieel bezoek aan Canada dag 5 - Fashion of royals
Nice casual look. I like this coat and jeans. These shoes are great.

So far I'm not impressed. I'm tired of seeing beige, black, blue outfits, the same accessories, hairstyle and heavy make-up.
Big plus for wearing British and Canadian designers. But I think that in their collection are more interesting pieces.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Majesty

Kate Middleton Packs McQueen, Athletic Gear For Stay In Prince Edward Island (PHOTOS, POLL)
Old 07-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

Tuesday, July 5 - Yellowknife, Northwest Territories

Kate is wearing a linen dress by Danish designer Malene Birger

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln...rmi6o1_500.jpg

Bullet dress - BY MALENE BIRGER - Day - Dresses - Womenswear - Selfridges | Shop Online
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like linen...I think she looks nice in the dress.
The shoes go perfectly with the outfit.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Courtier

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not a fan of this outfit. Not that it's a horrible monstrosity or anything, I just see it and think, "Eh...." Sad, since I'm normally such a fan of Catherine's clothes.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

She looks terrific in the beige linen dress as it fits well and the inverted pleats add a little weight.
Her main goal seems to be to not be seen as extravagant and, considersiding the violent protests in England right now, she is correct. Any "mistakes" she is making are the same kind any of us would make without the huge team of dressers, tailors, etc that the usual royal entourage employs.
I applaud the Duchess for her motivations and love to see the obvious affection between the two of them
Nothing wrong with wearing a little "family" jewelry either.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Royal Highness

Dress is lovely-

Second fun/casual outfit-
http://whatkatewore.com/2011/07/05/a...-tour-day-6-4/
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Do not like the sailor dress( not bad, but not great either) but love the linen outfit!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Serene Highness

agree , roseroyal!
This linen outfit is great and one that she could wear many other times. differently from the "sailor" one.

I'm still hoping to see Catherine in some real colors. She has been sticking w/ cream and navy during this tour. When she was watching William in the helicopter landing, that great bright red just made me crave even more for a red dress. It really suits her!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

I adored the sailor/cricket style Sarah Burton dress on Kate. Burton seems to be Kate's "Catherine Walker", in the sense of how Diana and Catherine Walker worked so well together and what most of us remember as Diana's "look" is almost always Walker's work.

Ironic though, how the Catherine Walker grey dress did not look well on Kate, but it wasn't readily identifiable as a Walker, unlike the suit Carole Middleton wore to the wedding. I didn't need the BBC to tell me who designed her dress - I recognised the trademarks, so to speak. I'd love to see how Kate would look in a more recognisable Walker dress, but perhaps Kate is trying to avoid comparisons with Diana.

After seeing the new Princess Charlene of Monaco this past weekend, I just wish Kate would tone down the make up and eye-liner! She would look so much younger and more modern, IMHO.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The dress doesn't suit her, the color is too dull for her and IMo its not a color for her age as I though it aged her. Im surprised she is in a dress by Malene B, After all the British designers & Canadian she goes for a Danish designer.

IMO if Kate wanted this look to work, she should've had her hair in a ponytail, accessorized it to make it look a bit more colorful (even if with green).