The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Aristocracy

Many thanks for that . One newspaper did say that Victoria Beckham had sent dresses to Catherine , which were promptly sent back !!. This explains all !

Old 06-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
Many thanks for that . One newspaper did say that Victoria Beckham had sent dresses to Catherine , which were promptly sent back !!. This explains all !
My pleasure; I am so looking forward to seeing the Duchess's wardrobe for the Canadian visit and I'm sure you are, too!

I am curious if she will emulate Diana and sport the national colours of Canada or something similar on her first day, as the late Princess always tried to salute the country she visited symbolically through her clothes at the start of a Royal visit.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Aristocracy

I am sure that she will. I cannot wait to see what she wears and also the jewels she will take with her. What a shame that the "Halo" tiara will be at Buckingham palace for the exhibition this summer, it would have been nice to see Catherine wear it again for the state dinners.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay
I am sure that she will. I cannot wait to see what she wears and also the jewels she will take with her. What a shame that the "Halo" tiara will be at Buckingham palace for the exhibition this summer, it would have been nice to see Catherine wear it again for the state dinners.
Perhaps she'll wear another tiara and we'll get to see another fantastic piece. What state dinners are coming up where this is a possibility? Does anyone know?

(apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this question, but I've been wondering)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
And while she has beautiful hair, it would be nice to see her do something different with it more often. The blown out, all around the face effect is distracting from her clothes and is getting a bit boring. I can't believe I'm saying this, but she could take a cue from Sarah, Duchess of York, and do different styles with that gorgeous mane of flowing locks - as Sarah did when a new member of the BRF.

Yes! I think a French braid would be lovely on Catherine for an occasion like Wimbledon, especially since it was such a warm day.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Yes! I think a French braid would be lovely on Catherine for an occasion like Wimbledon, especially since it was such a warm day.
I agree; the Duchess has such lovely features and a French braid and some other "off the face" styles would accentuate her face beautifully, too. I wonder if it's a "comfort" issue; perhaps the Duchess feels less exposed to the crowds if she can "hide behind" her hair? I'm not trying to indulge in "psycho-babble" - as a young girl I used to do that whenever I felt shy.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Courtier

I recall reading that Catherine would not be taking a dresser along on the tour but nothing about the lending of clothes. I would be curious as to where you read that statement.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Aristocracy

I have said previously that there are laws about "borrowing" clothes. It's not like borrowing jewelry that can easily be returned without damage. "Borrowing" clothes may require alterations and damage that prevent anyone else from wearing an item.

The Duchess has said that she will not accept free gifts (on which, if UK laws are the same as those elsewhere, she would have to pay taxes); and if she's smart, she will be very clear about what she might have borrowed and then returned to the designer.

I hope she doesn't "borrow". I hope she wears what she's bought outright, mixed with items she already owns. I know that everyone is waiting to see her in a fabulous new wardrobe, to be unveiled in Canada and the US, but the current economic climate isn't very welcoming to the opening of an expensive royal closet.

I love the way she dresses; I hope she will be very judicious and conservative about the way she dresses on this upcoming tour.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
My pleasure; I am so looking forward to seeing the Duchess's wardrobe for the Canadian visit and I'm sure you are, too!

I am curious if she will emulate Diana and sport the national colours of Canada or something similar on her first day, as the late Princess always tried to salute the country she visited symbolically through her clothes at the start of a Royal visit.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if she wore red and white. It wasn't just Diana who wore it, Queen Elizabeth, the Duchess of York etc. have all worn plenty of red and white on their Canadian trips. And of course most of them have sported the maple leaf in one fashion or another.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
Does anyone think this will start a new trend of white being not just a wedding day color but a wedding SEASON color, ie for the season following the ceremony?

It certainly does convey a "I'm the bride, remember?" message that is pretty adorable and shows how thrilled she is about her marriage.
She is still a newly bride so if she wears white for a few more months that is perfectly fine. If she tends to wear it more often, who can blame her, its her color and if it does suit her why not wear it. Lets not forget it's very much in season as well.

Quote:
IMO, Kate has looked better in most of her post-wedding dresses than in her choice for Wimbledon. She is getting far too thin!
I would disagree that her pre-wedding looks are much nicer, they were looks for Kate Middleton and not the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate has married into royalty and has become a Duchess and a future wife of a King therefore her looks/outfits had to change to more appropriate for her role.

Her dresses before the marriage were way to casual for her position.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoria View Post
I have said previously that there are laws about "borrowing" clothes. It's not like borrowing jewelry that can easily be returned without damage. "Borrowing" clothes may require alterations and damage that prevent anyone else from wearing an item.

The Duchess has said that she will not accept free gifts (on which, if UK laws are the same as those elsewhere, she would have to pay taxes); and if she's smart, she will be very clear about what she might have borrowed and then returned to the designer.

I hope she doesn't "borrow". I hope she wears what she's bought outright, mixed with items she already owns. I know that everyone is waiting to see her in a fabulous new wardrobe, to be unveiled in Canada and the US, but the current economic climate isn't very welcoming to the opening of an expensive royal closet.

I love the way she dresses; I hope she will be very judicious and conservative about the way she dresses on this upcoming tour.
St James' Palace pays for all the clothes that Catherine uses, they do not accept freebies.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rlf8CcxGHt...0/22222214.jpg
the dress is lovely but too mucht for the ocassion..she is attending a Tennis macht...this is a party / cocktail dress!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
the dress is lovely but too mucht for the ocassion..she is attending a Tennis macht...this is a party / cocktail dress!
I do not agree that the dress was too much for the occassion - IMO, it was just right. William wa dressed in a suit as well.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza
IMO, Kate has looked better in most of her post-wedding dresses than in her choice for Wimbledon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
I would disagree that her pre-wedding looks are much nicer, they were looks for Kate Middleton and not the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate has married into royalty and has become a Duchess and a future wife of a King therefore her looks/outfits had to change to more appropriate for her role.

Her dresses before the marriage were way to casual for her position.
I think Aliza meant Kates Wimbeldon outfit was not as nice as others she's worn since her wedding- not a pre-wedding comparassion but a post wedding one..... (but I may have misunderstood)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Not a fan of the dress, but Kate does it justice. Like her earrings, and hair.
On the hanger, it has little appeal to me. But Kate makes it look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoria View Post
I have said previously that there are laws about "borrowing" clothes. It's not like borrowing jewelry that can easily be returned without damage. "Borrowing" clothes may require alterations and damage that prevent anyone else from wearing an item. The Duchess has said that she will not accept free gifts (on which, if UK laws are the same as those elsewhere, she would have to pay taxes); and if she's smart, she will be very clear about what she might have borrowed and then returned to the designer.
Borrowing would be a bad idea. Then the clothes become like the dress she modeled for the university student fashion show - auctioned off. It was one thing for Diana to auction off her own clothes, it's another thing to have somebody else auction off clothes associated with a royal.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
Very nice and very suitable for rhe occasion. It recalls a tennis dress!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I think Aliza meant Kates Wimbeldon outfit was not as nice as others she's worn since her wedding- not a pre-wedding comparassion but a post wedding one..... (but I may have misunderstood)

I was not comparing, just stating that she has to dress differently now & that her dresses were casual for her new position as this new white dress she has worn is quite dressy but ideal for her.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling

I was not comparing, just stating that she has to dress differently now & that her dresses were casual for her new position as this new white dress she has worn is quite dressy but ideal for her.
Oh sorry- you said you disagreed that her prewedding looks were nicer thus I thought you were saying you disagreed with the previous opinion which was not what the poster had said- I apologize for misinterpreting your post :)
Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Aristocracy

Such a beautiful look for Kate.
Love everything about it especially the hair
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Commoner

i love that dress it looks cool but dressy