The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick View Post
Wow, she looks amazing in the tailored coat. Incredible. I admire her discipline in staying very slim. But, am I going out on a limb to say that a bit less glamour might have been more appropriate for soldiers coming back from war? She looks practically giddy in some of the photos. As I'm not a veteran, I don't know but perhaps looking a little more stoic might have worked better?
For some staying slim does not require lots of discipline, maybe that's how it is in Catherine's case?
I think for those soldiers coming back home, reuniting with families and being decorated with medals are all very joyful occasions. Why would one be stoic and stiff, why not smile?

Serene Highness

Details on the entire ensemble
Kate Mixes New McQueen and Old Favorites at Irish Guard Armed Forces Day Event » What Kate Wore

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Nobility

Another question: Does she wear tights ?

For me thights are a MUST for those events and outfits.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Aristocracy

I just love this coatdress; it is simple, classic and the length is lovely on Kate. She might not have the amazingly perfect legs of Diana, but they are still extremely pretty and she should show them off more often, IMO!

Contrary to most of the posts here, I don't care for the hat; I don't think it co-ordinates well with the military cut of the dress. I also think her hair would have looked better up; Kate looked ravishing in that 1940's style hat with her hair in a low chignon at the Epsom Derby - and having her hair up with this coatdress would have also accentuated the nod to the military.

She still looks amazing, as usual. If only she'd get rid of the panda-style eyeliner!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Nobility

as much as I like her outfit, i still think the coat should have been a little bigger - it wrinkels because its so tight - she is soooo slim - she doesn't have to put so much emphasis on it.

... oh well - yes the eyeliner ... .. I won't loose hope yet
Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nah, that's not too much glam. She's a princess and she's wearing a military-style coat. She didn't come with a tiara or a sparkling dress, everything cool IMO. I LOVE that coat! The hat and shoes as well. Navy blue & midnight blue are colors that suit her very well. But as William came in a black uniform, another color would have probably looked nicer, IMHO.

Aliza, panda-style eyeliner is a great description, btw.
I, for one, have given up on the hope that she will change that make up style anytime soon.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Refrain ,my previous comment should've criticized more the people behind the scene than the ladies themselves. But hey, if they prefer that way.....

Also, that You tube channel is my favorite one. I was really surprised they made a video w/ Catherine's make up since some are very vocal about it
As a makeup geek myself I can say that once you begin you can't stop. For me is as natural as brushing my teeth or combing my hair.

Im a hair color/makeup junkie as well....I had to search for Kate's wedding day makeup, all colors from Bobbi Brown..I bought the brick shimmer blush, lip pencil and sandwashed lipstick...My foundation is Chanel..
Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

She looks perfect, and joyful as she should.
What an absolutely gorgeous, regal couple!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine looked wonderful today. The outfit was very appropriate for a military function and it fit her like a glove without being revealing. The jewels were a nice touch without being overpowering and her hair looked great (as usual). The only thing that I can find fault with is her makeup. Although it's not bad, I have a "friend" who's a makeup artist that could really make her look outstanding. If only they were coming to the east coast of America. Oh well. Maybe next time. Other than that, she looked fantastic! Can't wait to see her in weeks to come.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Nobility

Catherine is pretty. I liked all that was her. Especially I liked her eyes. I think there's nothing wrong with her makeup. The brooch of gold clover matching the buttons on her dark navy coat looked classical and timeless. I liked her hat. It seems from the fifties era and possibly French fashionable. Her hair looks better than I've ever seen it before and I am simply left in awe and with no words. Truly a masterpiece she is or will be. It's been nice to see Kate come through in flying colors and I simply can't get enough of her smile. Will looked interesting too. He caught my eye with his uniform. Very valiant looking a soldier. Good show. May they honor their country as such.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just want to say that the uniform William is wearing would be FANTASTIC if it wasn't for those crazy ruffles down the front? Someone needs to explain that to me? Why would someone design a military uniform with that design on the coat?
As for Kate, I think she looked great and I give her big props for doing something different with her hair rather than just wearing it down. I think she looks great and definitely not too glamorous, she actually doesn't look glamorous at all. She looks nice, but not glamorous.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
I just want to say that the uniform William is wearing would be FANTASTIC if it wasn't for those crazy ruffles down the front? Someone needs to explain that to me? Why would someone design a military uniform with that design on the coat?.
I loved the crazy ruffles!!.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I just want to say that the uniform William is wearing would be FANTASTIC if it wasn't for those crazy ruffles down the front? Someone needs to explain that to me? Why would someone design a military uniform with that design on the coat?
As for Kate, I think she looked great and I give her big props for doing something different with her hair rather than just wearing it down. I think she looks great and definitely not too glamorous, she actually doesn't look glamorous at all. She looks nice, but not glamorous.
I just loved the ruffles on William's uniform and thought he looked even better than Kate for a change!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ

Edit- according to the Kate Middleton style blog the brooch was the Queen Mums and Princess Anne gave it to Kate for today-

http://katemiddletonstyle.org/

Kate’s Shamrock Brooch:
The gold and emerald shamrock brooch worn by Kate used to belong to the late Queen Mother. It was handed to Kate specially for today by the Princess Royal, the previous colonel to the regiment. (Thanks to @TheRoyalEditor for the information.)
Quoting myself bc ...According to the press association the brooch was worn by the Queen Mother and Princess Anne but is actually owned by the regiment and was loaned to Catherine by them to wear.....
Below is the link to the video I heard it in
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick
Old 06-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Love her this Mcqueen dress:)
Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Nobility

Red clutch and red shoes? She was meeting 3 families who lost a child and/or a son before giving medals to surviving soldiers. I dont think it would be appropriate at all. Navy was the perfect choice for both occasions (grieving family and happy returned soldiers).
Old 06-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
That military outfit was great and appropriate for the ocasion.
But I think bigger hats suit her more than those little ones AND I would have added a piece with some colour - like red shoes or a red clutch or something like that.
Hmmm, I don't know. I'm all for color, and Catherine certainly wears red well, but considering the circumstances of this particular visit, I believe she would have been crucified for wearing a bright red accent of any sort. Her outfit today was perfect, and well thought out. Subdued in color (which isn't all that unusual for her) and thoughtful of the military and the unit she was there to support! Bravo!!!

I own a dress very similar to Catherine's coat/dress, also from the McQueen collection. I would guess that Catherine's is a sort of custom design though, as it seems to mix the dress and another coat in a similar style! Now I'm dying to figure out where I might where my dress!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Nobility

Didn't need to be red! That was just an example, a suggestion.

White or another shade of blue or anything else would have also worked.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Kate's latest McQueen coat was lovely and very well fitted. Actually she looked great head to toe IMO. I quite liked how her clutch had gold trimmings to break the darkness a bit.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Nobility

I thought her fascinator was a nice tribute to the soldiers barets. The coat dress evokes memories of her mother-in-law :-)