The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 01:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I think Catherine looked wonderful today, and as other posters have said, she is perfectly dressed for the event. I love how she has paired a blue dress with a navy jacket, that colour combination also suits her a lot. My only negative comment about today's outfits would be that her headband looks a little childish, though as dazzling said, she probably wore that because of the windy weather.
I agree and I believe she chose the dress because it is similar to the blue worn by the RAF. The headband was a quick and practical solution for the breeze.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

Also, sorry, but I just don't see the need for killer heels at an air show. Apparently at one point she wobbled and almost tripped over. A pair of flat heels or with a tiny manageable heel would have been miles better IMO.
I couldn't agree more. The outfit itself was fine, but a pair of low heeled navy shoes would have been much more practical and fitting.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:29 AM
Royal Highness

I don't think those count as killer heels for her. She wore one of her lower pairs and she's been seen out shopping in shoes that height so I think it's a very managable height for her and she seemed to have no issues.

I don't think that she's not wearing pants because of any protocol. Maybe she just doesn't like them. I very very rarely wear pants and when I do it's sweatpants at home. I wear skirts and dresses 99% of the time and has very rarely had any issues with it. I just think it's a case of personal preference. And I saw someone comment (can't remember where) with all the bending and standing, if she had a blouse tucked in or something it would be very high chance of something looking ruffled or getting untucked.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Courtier

A skirt at the knee is consider short now?
Old 07-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Your comment made me go back and look again at her Wimledon yellow dress and I have to admit, they are definitely noticeably looser.

And that is something we cannot underestimate the value of.

I believe the "headband" (which looks like a scarf) was definitely an afterthought and didn't accent or match anything. It was also of limited value. Her shoes were not the most sensible for an airshow but Catherine has always put fashion ahead of function when it comes to shoes.
I am awre that we cannot comment weight, but those looser dresses really make nothing but pointing out Kate's thinness.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Courtier

With regards to pants, perhaps she prefers skirts and dresses to pants when she is working.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
With regards to pants, perhaps she prefers skirts and dresses to pants when she is working.
Perhaps Kate does, but there have been several incidents, (what we'll kindly call wardrobe malfunctions), when she has been near aircraft/airports in windy conditions, (dating back to the Canadian tour) and in this case one would hope that discretion would be the greater part of valour.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I don't think those count as killer heels for her. She wore one of her lower pairs and she's been seen out shopping in shoes that height so I think it's a very managable height for her and she seemed to have no issues.

I don't think that she's not wearing pants because of any protocol. Maybe she just doesn't like them. I very very rarely wear pants and when I do it's sweatpants at home. I wear skirts and dresses 99% of the time and has very rarely had any issues with it. I just think it's a case of personal preference. And I saw someone comment (can't remember where) with all the bending and standing, if she had a blouse tucked in or something it would be very high chance of something looking ruffled or getting untucked.
Considering almost every photo of her outside of royal engagements, like shopping/polo and such she is wearing pants, that certainly is not the case. This is not a woman who doesn't like to wear pants in public.

I am pretty sure an untucked top is a far less problematic issue then your skirt flying up. Some how royal women manage to wear trousers to countless events and still look professional and not wrinkled.

Quote:
I don't recall seeing anyone calling it short Appropriate/practical is not simply a matter of length.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
It's actually above the knee (and I don't think anyone said it was inappropriate) ...and when she's moving about it's riding up well above the knee.

I've already said I don't think it was a good outfit for hopping in and out of aircraft and dealing with a windy location....nor do I think the heels a smart choice for the event for the same reasons (except the wind part).

LaRae
Old 07-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Yes apparently Kate's skirts are always too short, makes me wonder if people on here have ever really seen a short skirt. Kate looks great and this kind of shirt doesn't look like it would fly up if the wind caught it; it is heavier and is more streamlined than her other Marilyn dresses. I actually think this outfit concealed her thinness unlike the white outfit she wore a few days before.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

No one here has said her skirts are always too short.

LaRae
Old 07-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I laugh, and I laugh. Catherine's fashion threads are sooooo predictable.

It's good for a giggle, but you can name the same people, over and over, who don't like anything she wears lol
Old 07-09-2016, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I like about 90 percent of what Kate wears. I do question, now and then, why she's wearing a dress/heels in certain settings.

LaRae
Old 07-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
No one here has said her skirts are always too short. LaRae
You are correct. But there are always people who say her skirts are too short when they are above the knee/she bends over.

At least in the last couple of years.

Shortest ever in my memory was this from April 2013: http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/167...Y%2bUpDg%3d%3d

I also remember a neon green coat dress that was fairly short? But I just looked on Getty and could not find it. Anyone else have nominations?
Old 07-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Its not a matter of mini skirts, but she never weighs her skirts down and she has plenty of close calls. And yes, when she is bending down to kids and such, a knee length would be more appropriate then some of her choices.

Some of her less than lengthy looks

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/126030...02&w=314&h=806

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/350717889711573571/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/67272588158379148/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/439452876114773611/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/141722719496345402/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/215891375856712673/

Just to name a few. Nothing wrong with a shorter skirt. And some were quite nice. But there are times when they aren't functionally a good choice, like kid events or windy days when they aren't weighted.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Is there an emoji for flogging a dead horse lol
Old 07-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Its not a matter of mini skirts, but she never weighs her skirts down and she has plenty of close calls. And yes, when she is bending down to kids and such, a knee length would be more appropriate then some of her choices.

Some of her less than lengthy looks

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/126030...02&w=314&h=806

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/350717889711573571/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/67272588158379148/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/439452876114773611/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/141722719496345402/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/215891375856712673/

Just to name a few. Nothing wrong with a shorter skirt. And some were quite nice. But there are times when they aren't functionally a good choice, like kid events or windy days when they aren't weighted.
Every one of these examples but one has opaque(ish) black tights which in my book allows for shorter skirts :)

The thing here, if it's because it's a kid event (how so?), is that the only kid that (oh the horror) might see a bit of leg is her own kid and he for sure must have seen her legs before!

I see why some don't think a dress might be comfortable, and we all have different lines in the sand for what is "too short". But to me, this blue dress is not. Where it reached when she bent or sat was alright. It would not have been alright if that was the length when standing, because then it would have been too short when sitting. But this way, I think it was within the right bounds. And I dont think Kate or KP or anyone had any trouble with it since the picture of her sitting in the helicopter (when the skirt slid up a smidge) was used on their own instagram.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Is there an emoji for flogging a dead horse lol
LOL Indeed:
Old 07-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Graspinp and straws lol. But it's all par for the course
Old 07-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

It is par for the course. It's as predictable as a certain someone coming on this and the other Cambridge threads and critiquing everyone and anyone who dares to criticise the couple in any way.

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton style, the duchess of cambridge, the duchess of cambridge casual wear, the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion, the duchess of cambridge fashion, the duchess of cambridge hats