The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw a full length picture of the outfit yesterday and although I like the outfit, I do believe that the skirt is too short. I would have loved it if it had been mid calf length. That woudl have been to die for! IMO
The outfit from today is nice. Love the coat and the color, her hair pulled back is fine, but the hat is not my cup of tea.

I think the "editor" outfit looked odd because of the pleating in the blouse and the off centre buttons. The coat and hat no big deal looked okay IMO for the engagaement

Nice to see this old LK Bennett back - red suits her. Isn't it the 4th time she has worn it - wales rugby game, copenhagen and poppy appeal and now today.
Hate the hat but this hat was never a favourite its too boxy and doesn't suit Kate

She looks good in the red coat, and I am happy her hair is back. That hat though needs to meet the incinerator or at least be retired. Not only doesn't work with that outfit but it is too boxy on her.

She really obviously has no interest in becoming the next royal fashion it girl. JMO. She wants to look like how she sees herself: likes her hair long and her makeup as she likes it. She will always be appropriate/not offensive but a bit meh.
But I also think she will always bug the heck out of people who want her to be the it girl and enchant their own fashion sense. I don't think she wants the level of attention that would bring. Again, JMO.
I think she has dialed it way back even from her relatively safe fashion choices early in the marriage. We have seen her often enough shopping and otherwise in "normal" non-working situations. She just does not seem to seek the fashion limelight by nature or inclination.
It will be interesting to see her "look" once the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall have passed on to their reward, She won't have to think about stealing attention from them. If we see a change, I think it will happen then.

The red coat is fabulous...love it on her. The hat is ridiculous.

LaRae

Its not being about being an it girl. I hold her to the standards a regular boss would. When she is on engagements that is an office day. If you went into work in a very short skirt, your hair unkept in your face, and makeup that borders on racoon at times, most bosses would not allow it. Nor would they want you handling clients. No one needs her to be a fashionista (and BTW considering all the time she spends on hair, clothes and such she does have an obvious interest in being one), but being appropriately styled is important for work. When you said she had no interest in fashion and was just herself, I went back to look and make sure I wasn't on Stephanie's thread instead. Might be true about Steph, but Kate is another matter.

Its not being about being an it girl. I hold her to the standards a regular boss would. When she is on engagements that is an office day. If you went into work in a very short skirt, your hair unkept in your face, and makeup that borders on racoon at times, most bosses would not allow it. Nor would they want you handling clients. No one needs her to be a fashionista (and BTW considering all the time she spends on hair, clothes and such she does have an obvious interest in being one), but being appropriately styled is important for work. When you said she had no interest in fashion and was just herself, I went back to look and make sure I wasn't on Stephanie's thread instead. Might be true about Steph, but Kate is another matter.
I respectfully disagree and know I won't convince you. That's fine. It's all opinion rather than fact.

She really obviously has no interest in becoming the next royal fashion it girl. JMO. She wants to look like how she sees herself: likes her hair long and her makeup as she likes it. She will always be appropriate/not offensive but a bit meh.
But I also think she will always bug the heck out of people who want her to be the it girl and enchant their own fashion sense. I don't think she wants the level of attention that would bring. Again, JMO.
I think she has dialed it way back even from her relatively safe fashion choices early in the marriage. We have seen her often enough shopping and otherwise in "normal" non-working situations. She just does not seem to seek the fashion limelight by nature or inclination.
It will be interesting to see her "look" once the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall have passed on to their reward, She won't have to think about stealing attention from them. If we see a change, I think it will happen then.

I agree that Kate chooses to go the safe route and tries to keep the focus off what she is wearing as much as possible. Today's look doesn't' surprise me. Recycling is nothing new for Kate and she's been pulling her hair off her face more frequently and IMO softening her eye make-up.

Hate hate hate that hat. It has got to go! Coat is fine, a very nice color.

I really don't think most bosses would take issue with Kate's look. Not in my experience anyway.

Best I can tell some posters equate hair down with unkempt hair. That's a pretty common hairstyle anywhere and certainly in the workplace. I see no issue there. At worst outside, if it's windy, then, i can see it. I still don't consider it a major issue. Up dos are not necessary.

I can't see any boss caring about her eye make up. Some may see it as a bit thick, but it is hardly a HR issue.

As for skirts, most of hers are appropriate for any professional environment. They don't have to be knee length to be work acceptable imo.

The coat is pretty, but the red and brown combo looks kind of dumpy. And the hat is okay but might be better positioned further back, kind of in a pillbox way.

I think the coat and the hat are both fine- just not together, they don't combine well.
And why red and brown? Again, the colors are not a good team.

I really don't think most bosses would take issue with Kate's look. Not in my experience anyway.

Best I can tell some posters equate hair down with unkempt hair. That's a pretty common hairstyle anywhere and certainly in the workplace. I see no issue there. At worst outside, if it's windy, then, i can see it. I still don't consider it a major issue. Up dos are not necessary.

I can't see any boss caring about her eye make up. Some may see it as a bit thick, but it is hardly a HR issue.

As for skirts, most of hers are appropriate for any professional environment. They don't have to be knee length to be work acceptable imo.

Then you are fortunate. When you work in an office, certain standards are expected. Your hair can be loose but it needs to be well maintained. If it is windy, you should take that into account and your hair should be in a style that your hair wont be in your eyes. Her skirts are often quite short, no they don't need to be knee length but they are certainly not business length. And when she is bending down to meet kids or people in wheelchairs, a slightly better length would be advised. You fill find many companies indeed have rules about how much makeup, hair coloring, jewelry and so on an employee can wear. Making a first impression on clients is important, whether you are the receptionist or the CEO.

Kate seems to have two levels 1. boring and slightly matronly like today's outfit. The color is the big bonus here. 2. younger but often too short or just not fitted right/paired right. She needs to find a balance. Honestly I prefer the matronly style as it is at least more professional, she just needs to contain the hair especially when outdoors.

Exactly. I mean... A nice skirt, a blouse or jacket and a nicely blown out loose hair is not inappropriate. Especialy not with opaque tights.

I've worked in many offices and I've never heard of an an employer calling someone out for how much make-up they wear. Nor have I heard anyone being told that they can't have their hair hanging loose. As for her skirt, the length is no shorter than what some of the other royal women wear.

I liked today's red coat, but I didn't care for the hat.

Last edited:
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to put up the proper 'full view'/'upper view' shots :) but for now, here are DM photos for Catherine's outfit at Anglesey

"The Duchess of Cambridge looked regal in red today as she recycled a £345 LK Bennett coat to return to Anglesey with Prince William.....Kate paired the elegant outerwear, called 'Ami' from the high-street label's Autumn/Winter 2011 collection, with a dark brown bow-adorned hat by one of her favourite milliners, Lock&Co."

She looks wonderful. The coat is very chic and elegant.

I guess I'm the only one.... but I LOVE that hat. I do think it looks better with her hair back. I think I might have preferred black rather than brown accessories but it's no big deal. I do think Catherine looks rather tired, but of course I'm sure the DF chose pictures that looked that way.

Last edited:
She's wearing CPM's hat again. I really like it and the coat and don't mind the colour combination either.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 -

I like the short skirt and think it is fine to wear this length with opaque tights. Not sure the blouse works with it.
As for the hat, I think it is a great hat but it doesn't suit her. The coat is lovely and I like her in red but with this hat and the length of the coat, I think boots would have been better.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Then you are fortunate. When you work in an office, certain standards are expected. Your hair can be loose but it needs to be well maintained. If it is windy, you should take that into account and your hair should be in a style that your hair wont be in your eyes. Her skirts are often quite short, no they don't need to be knee length but they are certainly not business length. And when she is bending down to meet kids or people in wheelchairs, a slightly better length would be advised. You fill find many companies indeed have rules about how much makeup, hair coloring, jewelry and so on an employee can wear. Making a first impression on clients is important, whether you are the receptionist or the CEO.

I work in an office for a large company. We have a dress code. I'm well aware of what appropriate work attire looks like.

She looks perfectly appropriate no job I know of would tell her how to wear her hair.

I must admit I find the pairing of brown and red a little strange. Her coat is pretty shapeless and not at all stylish or "fashionably long", but rather a little dowdy. Her hat is beautiful but paired with a ponytail it looks decidedly odd.

Individually her hat and accessories are lovely but paired with the coat and a ponytail I would mark it a whopping miss.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 -

Kate seems to have two levels 1. boring and slightly matronly like today's outfit. The color is the big bonus here. 2. younger but often too short or just not fitted right/paired right. She needs to find a balance. Honestly I prefer the matronly style as it is at least more professional, she just needs to contain the hair especially when outdoors.

Re the first part of your post-what? Employers do not usually get into hair style, length, or makeup, unless it's so outrageous.

I really like the brown and red combo. Like,all the chocolate,brown accessories.,I especially like the hat but think it looks weird,with a pony tail. Low chignon would have been better.

Jobs that require hair to be tied back or restrained are ones such as :manufacturing, food service, police/security/military or healthcare. My husband is employed by a very large aerospace corporation in Southern California. His comment is that her hair being worn loose would not be an issue in their office environment.

Last edited:
Re the first part of your post-what? Employers do not usually get into hair style, length, or makeup, unless it's so outrageous.

Apparently, her advisor Rebecca Deacon is very unprofessional. She wears her hair loose while on the job, and her skirts are almost always above the knee. Why here she is today in all her inappropriate glory. She’s on the far left.

https://twitter.com/QueenVicMirror/status/700274590354927616

She’s clearly leading Catherine down the wrong path. Who does that Rebecca think she is? A 21st century woman? I think we should write to KP and demand Rebecca’s immediate termination. If we replace her with a middle-age, male, stodgy advisor, he can teach Catherine about how a real woman carries herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom