The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

It is possible that the hem is already weighted but still was caught by the wind. I've seen photos of HM's hems moving up and we know that those were weighted.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Even William's suit jacket got taken up. So it was a pretty strong gust and the memorial being a gate can't help with the wind being able to flow through it instead around it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyaleVis...22302665342977

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 04-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

If anyone paid attention to the pictures, instead of having a fit because a little wind caught her skirt, you will see Catherine very elegantly controlled her skirt for the wreath laying-

The Cambridges

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The only thing I don't like about the white dress is the pockets. I'm not sure why the designer thought that was a good idea. But if I ignore those, then the dress is really quite lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Does it? Who else has it happened to at a solemn occasion like a wreath laying honouring a nation's soldiers? (soldiers who fought for the Empire actually.) Has it happened to the Queen, the Queen Mother, Princess Alexandra, Diana or to Sophie Wessex at wreath laying ceremonies? Has it happened to Queens Maxima, Mathilde, Letizia, even before they became Queen Consorts? Funny how I never saw the Queen as Princess Elizabeth, or Princess Margaret fighting with their hair and skirts at ceremonies!

This isn't the first time with Kate, but the latest in a series. We've seen her bare backside in Canada, her full legs up to the top of her thighs getting off the plane in Australia and on several other occasions. What's so wrong with weighting hems or wearing a pony tail or a chignon? Her behaviour at the wreathlaying just looked messy and unprofessional for someone representing the UK, IMO.
I don't know about the other women, but it has happened to Camilla and Diana at solemn ceremonies/places. When Camilla visited Egypt in 2006, she had to deal with her skirt flying up while laying a wreath at a war cemetry. This Telegraph article has a small photo and briefly touches on what they call her "Marilyn Monroe disaster". We also saw her struggle with her hat and coat dress during one of the D-day ceremonies in 2014.

Diana's moment happened while laying a wreath during a visit to Cairo in 1992.

No one wants to have to deal with wardrobe malfunctions, but unfortunately they happen. I mean last year Camilla had two wind incidents (that I can recall) - one in Australia and the other at Charlotte's christening. Yet, the media chooses to focus only on Kate.

As for Kate's hair, she has worn plenty of ponytails and updos, but she just prefers to wear her down. I don't see the problem with that. Personally, I think it would be boring as heck if she just wore ponytails, and updos for the majority of her engagements.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you soapstar. Yes mother nature has continued her tricks from one generation to the next when it comes to skirts.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Have we seen Camilla and the Queen's bare behinds, because unfortunately we have with Kate's? As for looking Kate looking 'dignified' when dealing with her hair and skirts at the wreath-laying, the DM photos show quite the reverse.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Have we seen Camilla and the Queen's bare behinds, because unfortunately we have with Kate's? As for looking Kate looking 'dignified' when dealing with her hair and skirts at the wreath-laying, the DM photos show quite the reverse.
The DM just wanted to show the skirt blowing, but if you look at the real pics, you will see she handled it beautiful and nothing showed. I think people really need to stop this overreaction, because this stuff has happened to The Queen, Diana, Sarah, Camilla and countless other women. It's not something they want to happen. Naturally, the wind blows skirts up sometimes. I see women going through this all of the time. It's not a big deal.

Catherine controlled her skirt and remained dignified through the the little ceremony. One must carry on.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Sorry, but the DM were 'real pictures', not studio mockups. And we've already seen all, and I mean ALL of Kate. I really don't want to see any more. Just wear pencil skirts (or slacks) near planes and helicopters, Kate, and straight skirts everywhere else. And keep your hair from blowing everywhere at official engagements, especially solemn ones.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The DM just wanted to show the skirt blowing, but if you look at the real pics, you will see she handled it beautiful and nothing showed. I think people really need to stop this overreaction, because this stuff has happened to The Queen, Diana, Sarah, Camilla and countless other women. It's not something they want to happen. Naturally, the wind blows skirts up sometimes. I see women going through this all of the time. It's not a big deal.

Catherine controlled her skirt and remained dignified through the the little ceremony. One must carry on.
I think the point is that, of course, these things happen from time to time but with Kate it is a constant problem. There is a royal forum that has a particular dislike for Kate and they were practically placing bets that she would 'flash' at some point during this tour as it has happened so often. Needless to say they are laughing their heads off now as she's let it happen again. I'm sorry but stopping your skirt blowing up is not rocket science and it really needs to stop.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Seriously, they are at wreath laying ceremony and Kate struggles to stop her dress and hair flapping in the wind???
Hasn't she learned from previous incidents?? It's not a holiday, how about suitable clothing, I wish somebody would tell her got get it right, she's been a Princess for many years now.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...0372475902.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...0372717962.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...0372804786.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...0371614707.jpg

It's either a bad joke or she likes the attention that such pictures create.
Perhaps we should create a new thread - "Duchess of Cambridge outfits and "flying accidents"....
Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

I feel a bit sorry for her this time as the skirt is rather long, as they have all been on this trip. On all the other malfunctions I recall they were so short one could not help but see what one should not see. This malfunction appears to be more of a rogue wind.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Majesty

The usual Marilyn moment is not surprising.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I feel a bit sorry for her this time as the skirt is rather long, as they have all been on this trip. On all the other malfunctions I recall they were so short one could not help but see what one should not see. This malfunction appears to be more of a rogue wind.
Yeah, it's possible she might have thought the longer skirt would help BUT when you have been caught out so often and you are laying a wreath at a war memorial you don't take a chance. I'm sorry, you just don't. 1 million Indians died in WW1 alone and this memorial is the biggest in India. Get as many weights in that skirt as possible and tie your hair up. She didn't and it looks bad.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I think the point is that, of course, these things happen from time to time but with Kate it is a constant problem. There is a royal forum that has a particular dislike for Kate and they were practically placing bets that she would 'flash' at some point during this tour as it has happened so often. Needless to say they are laughing their heads off now as she's let it happen again. I'm sorry but stopping your skirt blowing up is not rocket science and it really needs to stop.
The overreactions are crazy though. She handled everything with such grace and dignity, and people are so busy losing their mind over a little wind catching the skirt. It wasn't a big deal at all. The wind blowing the skirt was just a little brief moment, because if you look at the pictures, she controlled everything.

This stuff isn't her fault, but people are always looking for something to go wrong with Catherine for some reason. The royals are less uptight about these things than royal watchers. That tells me that everyone need to relax and realize it's not possible to control these things all the time. The wind will catch her skirts, she may lose a shoe when on walk about's, she may trip over something or slip. She just may drop her purses from time to time. It happens folks, lets move on.

Also, you can't pay attention to that particular forum, because they hate the very fact that Catherine is even breathing.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
She's wearing a length like the skirts/dresses that Diana and Camilla were wearing in the photos posted above. William's jacket was blowing up as well. As you said GracieGiraffe this does appear to be a rogue wind that cannot be controlled.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The overreactions are crazy though. She handled everything with such grace and dignity, and people are so busy losing their mind over a little wind catching the skirt. It wasn't a big deal at all. The wind blowing the skirt was just a little brief moment, because if you look at the pictures, she controlled everything.

This stuff isn't her fault, but people are always looking for something to go wrong with Catherine for some reason. The royals are less uptight about these things than royal watchers. That tells me that everyone need to relax and realize it's not possible to control these things all the time. The wind will catch her skirts, she may lose a shoe when on walk about's, she may trip over something or slip. She just may drop her purses from time to time. It happens folks, lets move on.

Also, you can't pay attention to that particular forum, because they hate the very fact that Catherine is even breathing.
Standing ovation for this post!!

Royal watchers have so many ideas about protocol and what is acceptable and none of it is based in fact. I'm still waiting for someone to link me to the mysterious BRF protocol list that forbids black dresses, skirts about the knee and high heels.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
ok that's a miss. the placement of the flaps destroys an otherwise pretty - but boring - dress. Shoes look light pink to me, an odd choice.

Kate wearing £1,100 dress by favourite designer Emilia Wickstead which she paired with a Mulberry clutch

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...0358925966.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...0359380113.jpg
I dislike the flaps but the rest is beautiful and elegant.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it's a big deal, it's not like it shows anything. So it was windy that day, so what? People are overreacting, which is exactly what the media wants.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post
Standing ovation for this post!!

Royal watchers have so many ideas about protocol and what is acceptable and none of it is based in fact. I'm still waiting for someone to link me to the mysterious BRF protocol list that forbids black dresses, skirts about the knee and high heels.
These tours are diplomatic missions so it is actually really important that things don't go wrong if it can possibly be avoided. Sure, things will on occasion but her skirt blowing up at a war memorial is one of the easiest to avoid. It's happened over and over and over again which is totally out of order. I'm not sure what she is struggling with in this department but she seems unable to stop something which should be simple to deal with.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Love the outfit and the shoes! We start off well.

Outfit No2 for Cricket Match;
https://twitter.com/re_dailymail/sta...90899985117184
I love the dress. Beautiful colors and print.

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton style, royal fashion, the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion, the duchess of cambridge fashion, the duchess of cambridge hats