The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel a bit sorry for her this time as the skirt is rather long, as they have all been on this trip. On all the other malfunctions I recall they were so short one could not help but see what one should not see. This malfunction appears to be more of a rogue wind.

I feel a bit sorry for her this time as the skirt is rather long, as they have all been on this trip. On all the other malfunctions I recall they were so short one could not help but see what one should not see. This malfunction appears to be more of a rogue wind.

Yeah, it's possible she might have thought the longer skirt would help BUT when you have been caught out so often and you are laying a wreath at a war memorial you don't take a chance. I'm sorry, you just don't. 1 million Indians died in WW1 alone and this memorial is the biggest in India. Get as many weights in that skirt as possible and tie your hair up. She didn't and it looks bad.

I think the point is that, of course, these things happen from time to time but with Kate it is a constant problem. There is a royal forum that has a particular dislike for Kate and they were practically placing bets that she would 'flash' at some point during this tour as it has happened so often. Needless to say they are laughing their heads off now as she's let it happen again. I'm sorry but stopping your skirt blowing up is not rocket science and it really needs to stop.

The overreactions are crazy though. She handled everything with such grace and dignity, and people are so busy losing their mind over a little wind catching the skirt. It wasn't a big deal at all. The wind blowing the skirt was just a little brief moment, because if you look at the pictures, she controlled everything.

This stuff isn't her fault, but people are always looking for something to go wrong with Catherine for some reason. The royals are less uptight about these things than royal watchers. That tells me that everyone need to relax and realize it's not possible to control these things all the time. The wind will catch her skirts, she may lose a shoe when on walk about's, she may trip over something or slip. She just may drop her purses from time to time. It happens folks, lets move on.

Also, you can't pay attention to that particular forum, because they hate the very fact that Catherine is even breathing.

Last edited:

She's wearing a length like the skirts/dresses that Diana and Camilla were wearing in the photos posted above. William's jacket was blowing up as well. As you said GracieGiraffe this does appear to be a rogue wind that cannot be controlled.

The overreactions are crazy though. She handled everything with such grace and dignity, and people are so busy losing their mind over a little wind catching the skirt. It wasn't a big deal at all. The wind blowing the skirt was just a little brief moment, because if you look at the pictures, she controlled everything.

This stuff isn't her fault, but people are always looking for something to go wrong with Catherine for some reason. The royals are less uptight about these things than royal watchers. That tells me that everyone need to relax and realize it's not possible to control these things all the time. The wind will catch her skirts, she may lose a shoe when on walk about's, she may trip over something or slip. She just may drop her purses from time to time. It happens folks, lets move on.

Also, you can't pay attention to that particular forum, because they hate the very fact that Catherine is even breathing.

Standing ovation for this post!!

Royal watchers have so many ideas about protocol and what is acceptable and none of it is based in fact. I'm still waiting for someone to link me to the mysterious BRF protocol list that forbids black dresses, skirts about the knee and high heels.

ok that's a miss. the placement of the flaps destroys an otherwise pretty - but boring - dress. Shoes look light pink to me, an odd choice.

Kate wearing £1,100 dress by favourite designer Emilia Wickstead which she paired with a Mulberry clutch

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/08/330DD33E00000578-3533405-image-m-5_1460358925966.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/08/330DD14D00000578-3533405-image-m-12_1460359380113.jpg

I dislike the flaps but the rest is beautiful and elegant.

I don't think it's a big deal, it's not like it shows anything. So it was windy that day, so what? People are overreacting, which is exactly what the media wants.

Standing ovation for this post!!

Royal watchers have so many ideas about protocol and what is acceptable and none of it is based in fact. I'm still waiting for someone to link me to the mysterious BRF protocol list that forbids black dresses, skirts about the knee and high heels.

These tours are diplomatic missions so it is actually really important that things don't go wrong if it can possibly be avoided. Sure, things will on occasion but her skirt blowing up at a war memorial is one of the easiest to avoid. It's happened over and over and over again which is totally out of order. I'm not sure what she is struggling with in this department but she seems unable to stop something which should be simple to deal with.

Last edited:
Too bad about the "malfunction". I have to say that I am NOT a fan of Wickstead. More often than not I do not care for her clothes and frankly some of the finishing leaves much to be desired. Frequently there is crinkling and puckering around hem lines. The most I can say about this dress is that the color is very nice, other than that it is truly a thumbs down for this outfit and that seldom happens with Kate, IMO.

These tours are diplomatic missions so it is actually really important that things don't go wrong if it can possibly be avoided. Sure, things will on occasion but her skirt blowing up at a war memorial is one of the easiest to avoid. It's happened over and over and over again which is totally out of order. I'm not sure what she is struggling with in this department but she seems unable to stop something which should be simple to deal with.

If you look at the pictures, the wind blowing the skirt was a very brief and insignificant moment-
The Cambridges

The Cambridges

cambridge-inspiration: The Duke and Duchess of...

She did nothing wrong during the little ceremony. The DM highliging it and peoples overreaction is making it seem like something bad happened. Catherine remained composed, dignified and graceful as always.

When a Royal is laying a wreath at an important site, one likes to assume that Royal is thinking about the glorious dead and the cause for which they died. Clearly the Duchess is thinking only of controlling her skirt. It's disrespectful. In addition, the dress is too casual for the occasion. I realize the learning curve is steep on being a Princess, but she has plenty of senior female royals and aides who can help her. I've kept quiet in the past about her "wardrobe malfunctions" but this one, well, she should have planned better.

When a Royal is laying a wreath at an important site, one likes to assume that Royal is thinking about the glorious dead and the cause for which they died. Clearly the Duchess is thinking only of controlling her skirt. It's disrespectful. In addition, the dress is too casual for the occasion. I realize the learning curve is steep on being a Princess, but she has plenty of senior female royals and aides who can help her. I've kept quiet in the past about her "wardrobe malfunctions" but this one, well, she should have planned better.

She was focused on the memorial and controlled her skirt at the same time. One can walk and chew gum at the same time you know. Its the people that's overreacting that took the focus off of what really going on. One can't judge her based on a unexpected gust of wind. It didn't happen during the entire ceremony, it only occurred at a very short moment.

I love Catherine, but I didn't like what happened at the solemn event, so what? Am I overreacting? Can't I have an opinion? We are all entitled to like or dislike. What happened could've been avoided, because it happened to her many times before, you learn from it and try to avoid the next time, that's how it works.

The only thing I don't like about the white dress is the pockets. I'm not sure why the designer thought that was a good idea. But if I ignore those, then the dress is really quite lovely.

I don't know about the other women, but it has happened to Camilla and Diana at solemn ceremonies/places. When Camilla visited Egypt in 2006, she had to deal with her skirt flying up while laying a wreath at a war cemetry. This Telegraph article has a small photo and briefly touches on what they call her "Marilyn Monroe disaster". We also saw her struggle with her hat and coat dress during one of the D-day ceremonies in 2014.

Diana's moment happened while laying a wreath during a visit to Cairo in 1992.

No one wants to have to deal with wardrobe malfunctions, but unfortunately they happen. I mean last year Camilla had two wind incidents (that I can recall) - one in Australia and the other at Charlotte's christening. Yet, the media chooses to focus only on Kate.

As for Kate's hair, she has worn plenty of ponytails and updos, but she just prefers to wear her down. I don't see the problem with that. Personally, I think it would be boring as heck if she just wore ponytails, and updos for the majority of her engagements.
And as Soapstar shared in the post above it's happened to William's mother and step-mother at similar events and on prior occasions during their royal years. They were royal ladies who had performed this duty many times and dealt with rogue winds in the past too. They also were wearing dresses/skirts with similar hemlines to the one Kate wore today. This tells me that she has altered her wardrobe to try and deal with the situation. And it appears there were slips/lining in place for additional coverage. Even if the weather was checked, these gusts of wind will occur from time to time.:)

http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2014/05/107933942.jpg Something that even William's grandmother has had to deal with in the past.

Last edited:
And as Soapstar shared in the post above it's happened to William's mother and step-mother at similar events and on prior occasions during their royal years. They were royal ladies who had performed this duty many times and dealt with rogue winds in the past too. They also were wearing dresses/skirts with similar hemlines to the one Kate wore today. This tells me that she has altered her wardrobe to try and deal with the situation. And it appears there were slips/lining in place for additional coverage. Even if the weather was checked, these gusts of wind will occur from time to time.:)

http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2014/05/107933942.jpg Something that even William's grandmother has had to deal with in the past.

Yeah, it happens from time to time. I just think people were more understanding at the time and less uptight about these incidences. She was dignified at the ceremony, but a little wind caught her skirt and people lose it a bit.

I love the style of the cream dress, but dislike the flaps on the chest.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The usual Marilyn moment is not surprising.

She needs to take lessons from the REAL royal ladies. Can you imagine HM or the Princess Royal showing the entire world their knickers? They always have weights sewn into the hems of their dresses to avoid the very embarrassment that seems to be an integral part of Kate's life. She should refuse to accept delivery of any dress made for her unless the weights have been incorporated. Will she ever learn?!!!!

I do not understand why expensive dressmakers do not put weights in the hems of that style of skirt. That's what we always did with circular skirts. You would think with all their money that Kate has she would be able to buy clothes made by a dressmaker with know how!!

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think her dress was too casual at all.

:previous: Thank you soapstar. Yes mother nature has continued her tricks from one generation to the next when it comes to skirts.;)

Yep...none of the royals have been able to defeat her yet. :lol:

The Queen always seems to save the hat first. She also went for the hat at RAF Valley when visiting William. The wind almost blew her over that day.

I am still impressed by Kate in hat and coat going down the airplane ramp stairs in gale carrying a squirmy Cheeks in NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm sill looking for the 'malfunction'. The wind blew her hemline but we didn't see anything. She had it under control in a second.

Kate was wearing a wool skirt and a good length but the wind was strong. It even blew William's suit jacket up onto his back when he bent over.

But the wind ruffling a hemline or whatever isn't a big deal. It happened to Camilla at Charlotte's christening and caught on camera. The only fool-proof way to avoid it is to wear trousers

Last edited:
I don't like this as much as yesterday's outfits but she looks fine - I like the collar and I really don't mind the totally redundant pockets that much.

The wind blew her hair around a bit but that would have happened whatever the style. If it were me I would have worn it up or tied back or something, purely because I find it really hot but I have to say she doesn't look as if she's suffering from the temperatures.

I love love this dress. Even with the flaps. They distract a bit from the dress but oh well... ? I could've bought this myself if I had the money. And the slim figure...

I don't mind the collar, but the flaps are just weird. I would have taken that bit of fabric and put it at the bottom of the sleeves to balance out the collar. The color is pretty blah, too. But you know, thank goodness she didn't wear her wedges with it! :whistling:
Someone needs to take those wedges away, she looks like she has cement blocks on her feet when she wears them, really not flattering and ridiculous to play sports in them. She may be able to get by with it now because she's athletic, but I see her having back issues in the future if she's not careful.

I took a look at the hemline and I think it IS weighted (yes, I could be wrong). This is a case of a particularly strong wind doing what nature does IMO.

I took a look at the hemline and I think it IS weighted (yes, I could be wrong). This is a case of a particularly strong wind doing what nature does IMO.

Having made a dress or two, I thought so also. But I could be wrong. In any case, I just think a multistory, thick stone walled edifice can be counted on to swirl the wind well beyond the wind speed in the area. She, and her handlers just need to make better choices of dress cut going forward in these situations.
IMO, this also goes for the seaside, in Scotland in general, on a tarmac, and on bad weather days. It's not as if wind + full skirt (however weighted) is a tough equation to figure out.

Seriously, they are at wreath laying ceremony and Kate struggles to stop her dress and hair flapping in the wind???
Hasn't she learned from previous incidents?? It's not a holiday, how about suitable clothing, I wish somebody would tell her got get it right, she's been a Princess for many years now.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/12/330F0FD800000578-3533405-image-a-52_1460372475902.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/12/330F106E00000578-3533405-image-a-54_1460372717962.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/12/330F111600000578-3533405-image-a-55_1460372804786.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/11/11/330EFE3F00000578-3533405-image-a-43_1460371614707.jpg

It's either a bad joke or she likes the attention that such pictures create.

I agree.
nevermind the skirt flying all over the place, that she cant control...but using her hair up would have looked so much better and more professional.
this is not a sight seeing holiday its a very important event laying a wreath, an updo would have looked far more professional. Something like how she wore her hair up with the blue dress yesterday.
maybe her hair not all the way up but at least pinned/tied a bit

the dress was lovely except for the pockets and collar

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of Kate's style; there are few outfits I actually like (although i would kill for those citrine drop earrings). But I respect her right to wear what she likes; it always looks to me as though she's given a great deal of thought to what she is going to wear and why she's going to wear it, and dresses suitably, nicely and appropriately for any Royal occasion. Her hair is always clean and tidy (except for windy weather!) and once again, it's her hair and she can do what she likes with it, although i do think it looks better that little bit shorter. Regarding her slouching posture, it seems to me whenever I see her do that, it's because she's talking to people shorter than herself, and she is just trying to not tower over them.

I did like the cricket dress though; that was very pretty, and the blue of the evening gown was very nice.

I agree.
nevermind the skirt flying all over the place, that she cant control...but using her hair up would have looked so much better and more professional.
this is not a sight seeing holiday its a very important event laying a wreath, an updo would have looked far more professional. Something like how she wore her hair up with the blue dress yesterday.
maybe her hair not all the way up but at least pinned/tied a bit

the dress was lovely except for the pockets and collar

Totally agree about the skirt. There is no excuse. This was a solemn event. She's been in the job for five years now and knows from experience what can happen with a full skirt and strong wind. Her skirt was lined but she wasn't wearing a slip, and the photographers in front of her no doubt got some very revealing shots. Will we see them? Perhaps, unless William manages to buy them up.

In my opinion the loose hair was not at all suitable, and neither was that dress. Her focus should be on the occasion, not on trying to keep her hair and skirt under control. That skirt was an accident waiting to happen, and an insult to those she was there to honour. A pencil skirt would prevent the possibility of such a distraction, and so would an updo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom