The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 17: January 2016 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather, I think, was rather dull and wearing a colour like that on a dull day sort of makes it duller than it could be. This is an outfit Catherine has worn before, which I don't mind per se, but if it was more vibrant it would be worth wearing over and over.

I'd like to see this outfit in a cream colour, with a brooch too!

I would like to see her wearing something with a bit of movement. Her coats look so fitted like they would be uncomfortable to wear

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

She gets in trouble sometimes when she wears those dresses that have movement to them.

LaRae

I'm not talking about a light dress that flys up just a coat with some shape

Something more swingy like Jackie O type?

Something more swingy like Jackie O type?

Yes something like that just not a straight coat every time. As for her looking tired she has bags under her eyes it's just way some of us look. I do get over people telling me I look tired when I'm not

I have seen her wear one now and then and they are very flattering on her.

LaRae

I'm still amazed she is wearing a dress that she wore over 5 years ago. I cant!

Re previous posts - her Alexander McQueen coats are fit and flare. She doesn't wear fitted all the time. look through this thread and its obvious.

Again its the same issue as the hats. Its not that she ALWAYS wears fitted. Or that she NEVER wears real hats. With the dresses it may be more common than her wearing a full hat, but it isn't a style she frequents.

I am all for recycling outfits but not this one in particular. I don't think the coat does anything for her. She needs some good classic (neutral) coats she can wear open, not as a coat dress but as a coat. Something she can change up the look by simply adding a new scarf, or a different broach, a bit of color in the dress or skirt/blouse under. The coats tend to be the more expensive part of your wardrobe, so having ones that can be versatile would be great. I really would love to see her move away from the coat dress look so much. We rarely get to see what she has under.

I think this coat might work better for me if it was undone and perhaps worn over pants. It seems tight and uncomfortable

I don't mind this coat. She's worn it only 4 times since 2012. That's not something to complain about, imo. If she was wearing it 4 times a year, then I might wonder what she sees in it.

Her coat selection is varied enough that I'm not bothered.

but to each their own.

Hair Comment:
Royal.uk has been updated. Please go take a look at the Duchess's page and ask yourself what the pictures chosen have to say about how she likes to wear her hair or otherwise, how she sees herself. https://www.royal.uk/the-duchess-of-cambridge

This is the heading photo https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/...mages/biography/pa-25555222.jpg?itok=Zp4_q75a. Yes, hair in face, those bangs, messy and all that we complain about.
That she chose/approved this as her lead photo says to me that this is how she likes to see herself and that's it's fairly unlikely that she's going to change it any time soon.
In general, I'd read the image presented as not fussy, approachable, warm and a bit proud of the length and texture of her hair. I read that image as trying to be herself rather than setting a trend or following what other people see as "royal."
And I think we can object until the cows come home, but we are not going to change that.
Now, watch, she'll cut it all off in two months and I'll look a greater fool than usual. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hair Comment:
Royal.uk has been updated. Please go take a look at the Duchess's page and ask yourself what the pictures chosen have to say about how she likes to wear her hair or otherwise, how she sees herself. https://www.royal.uk/the-duchess-of-cambridge

This is the heading photo https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/...mages/biography/pa-25555222.jpg?itok=Zp4_q75a. Yes, hair in face, those bangs, messy and all that we complain about.
That she chose/approved this as her lead photo says to me that this is how she likes to see herself and that's it's fairly unlikely that she's going to change it any time soon.
In general, I'd read the image presented as not fussy, approachable, warm and a bit proud of the length and texture of her hair. I read that image as trying to be herself rather than setting a trend or following what other people see as "royal."
And I think we can object until the cows come home, but we are not going to change that.
Now, watch, she'll cut it all off in two months and I'll look a greater fool than usual. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's a nice photo - I quite like her hair here because I think it's fine for the look - relaxed, informal, we can see her earrings, it doesn't cover any major design features of the top.

I can see why she likes her hair long - it is in enviably great condition, really glossy and healthy.

I think her fashion is okay. I just think she should wear her clothes with a bit more confidence and flair. Crown Princess Mary, Victoria, Maxima and Letizia could teach her a thing or two if she hung out with them.

Also, Catherine should stop carrying her clutches in front of her. It's like a stiff defense by the looks of it.

Carrying the clutch near to the groin and gripping it for grim death is a defence mechanism, I agree. It's a sign of nerves and Kate should just relax and tuck the purse under one arm.

Last edited:
I would think in the nearly five years she should have got over some of the nerves by now. Either a purse under her arm, or over the shoulder.

As for style, maybe she needs some advice from some younger friends. There are certainly some well dressed women in their circles that could give her some tips on fashionable while appropriate outfits. Kate is said to be friendly with Natasha Rufus Isaacs and has been seen in Beulah before. May be a good source.

Carrying the clutch near to the groin and gripping it for grim death is a defence mechanism, I agree. It's a sign of nerves and Kate should just relax and tuck the purse under one arm.

and carrying the clutch the way she does adds to the very bad posture.

The ramrod-straight posture of the 1950s is over now. Catherine has fine posture, and she carries herself elegantly. I wish some people on this forum would get into of the 21st century.

And there have been very few outfits that anyone could classify as frumpy. Catherine isn't showy - that's not the same as frumpy.

The press has turned against William and Catherine, but, no worries, they will back on board once there is a new baby or another novelty. The press are vultures, pure and simple.

The ramrod-straight posture of the 1950s is over now. Catherine has fine posture, and she carries herself elegantly. I wish some people on this forum would get into of the 21st century.

And there have been very few outfits that anyone could classify as frumpy. Catherine isn't showy - that's not the same as frumpy.

The press has turned against William and Catherine, but, no worries, they will back on board once there is a new baby or another novelty. The press are vultures, pure and simple.

It was a rather unkind article, putting it mildly, typical of its author.

However, I disagree with your statement about posture - when standing still she can be a little hunched and I do wish she would stop clutching her clutch in front of her. I don't find that particularly elegant - and I'm very comfortable in the 21st century!

Catherine is a four-time addition to Vanity Fair's best dressed list and a member of Vanity Fair's best dressed hall of fame.

I'd put that against the vile and odious Sarah Vine any day.

Nasty and vile article. Another shot at Catherine under the veil of "advice"

Anyone who thinks the DOC is frumpy should go scroll through the HGD Stephanie fashion thread

completely agreed. Kate's style may not be for everyone, but neither is Maxima's or Mathilde's or even Letizia's. Each woman has their own style and while it may not be our taste, that doesn't make it bad. I might not want to wear a coat like Kate does every time she goes to an event, but I don't look down on her for doing so.

Women are so viciously attacked for the way we dress. We have to be professional, but don't forget to be sexy, but not too sexy so you don't look like a whore, but don't look dowdy because men don't like that, but but but. No woman is perfect, but I don't understand why that matters. Sure, arguing about the length of a dress or skirt in regards to royals may be "important", but a lot of the other vitriol that's thrown these ladies way isn't. Fashion is subjective. There's plenty of things that people love on these forums that I just shake my head at and can't understand. But I don't trash them for it. To each their own, as I always say.

Posture isn't a fashion that comes and goes. It is a health issue bad posture can cause problems later on in life. For someone so thin who I would guess spends time in the gym it is unusual to see her shoulders so rounded.

completely agreed. Kate's style may not be for everyone, but neither is Maxima's or Mathilde's or even Letizia's.

Very true!
Maxima is striking, but not every woman can carry off that flamboyant style.
I usually find Victoria's look rather frumpy, to be honest...but that is just me.
And Letizia has been criticized for wearing clothing that is too short or too tight.

As far as Kate is concerned, I think she generally looks appropriate, whether or not her outfit is something I admire.
But as you say, style is very subjective.

Catherine is a four-time addition to Vanity Fair's best dressed list and a member of Vanity Fair's best dressed hall of fame.

I'd put that against the vile and odious Sarah Vine any day.

Agreed about Sarah Vine.

VF best dressed Hall of Fame put people in there too soon IMO - I think a couple of decades of being on the best dressed lists should pass before anyone should get that accolade.

Her fashion is great. Of course I don't know much about it, but it kinda drive me crazy when she carries her purses in front of her. Although, I do understand it can't be easy to know what to do with your hands. She is a very beautiful young woman and very elegant, she don't need to hide herself behind a purse.

I agree that the pendulum will swing back, although the work shy label will probably stick for a while, but to me most of these things are ephemeral. Of course I would prefer that things be positive, although excessively sugary can be annoying, but if Kate makes a few styling and image tweaks and/or has another baby, I bet her stock will rise and I don't see how that is considered more legitimate than the negative pile on that is currently occurring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom