The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 15: July 2014 - September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.. Maybe I should refrase it. Most people wear short shorts and skirts nowdays (and this is coming from me who doesnt). I'm in my early 20s so to me you are in another genration/my mothers generation and such. So I think what "many people" do have something to do with this discussion since it is a mark of what is acceptable. Your parents probably was shocked about some of your hairstyles just like your grandparents were shocked over your mothers skirtlenghts. Kate's clothing in general magazines are coined as modest, and I think that she dresses nicely. Noone died from seeing a bit of thigh.

No I didn't do that 'shock' type of hair or anything...and quite frankly I would not of been allowed to dress the way I see some people dressed. Nor would I (nor did I) allow my girls to dress in a revealing way. The public schools here have dress codes too that disallow some of the 'trendy' things.

I'm sure Kate's considered modest for the most part...and in general I like her clothing. Due to her position and the fact she was working I think that dress was not an appropriate choice.

The idea that no one died from seeing thigh is not the point. No one died from seeing her exposed bum either...and there was a ton of criticism towards her from this group about it.

LaRae

Well, opinions my vary, but there was nothing wrong with Catherine showing a little leg. She wouldn't wear anything that's considered overly inappropriate anyway. The leg didn't actually show much anyway.

Compared with her other European royal counterparts, Catherine and the other British royals dress rather boring most of the time. Within her (nearly) five year span as a senior royal, there's barely a handful of times Catherine was actually fashionable, IMO. She dresses in a appropriate manner all the time though.

Last edited:
No I didn't do that 'shock' type of hair or anything...and quite frankly I would not of been allowed to dress the way I see some people dressed. Nor would I (nor did I) allow my girls to dress in a revealing way. The public schools here have dress codes too that disallow some of the 'trendy' things.

I'm sure Kate's considered modest for the most part...and in general I like her clothing. Due to her position and the fact she was working I think that dress was not an appropriate choice.

The idea that no one died from seeing thigh is not the point. No one died from seeing her exposed bum either...and there was a ton of criticism towards her from this group about it.

LaRae

The thing is, Kate's 33 years old - she's not in school! There's no dress code, just our own varied expectations.

Yeah, to me, seeing a bit of leg is fine. I mean, it's not as if she's wearing hot pants or something. I actually don't even notice how much leg Kate is or isn't showing until people start mentioning it on here, and then I realize how different people's expectations can be. Some of it I do think is generational, but not always, of course.
Exactly! I didn't mean to say that it's always a generational thing, and as I said, I myself don't feel comfortable in short clothing. I just don't see anything scandalous in it.

LaRae
I think it can be a bit of a geographical thing as well. I see that you are from the US. Europe have always (well, obviously not always) been more "liberal" when it comes to nudity, especially Scandinavia which I am from.. This kind of culture clash came up in the discussions about Princess Sofia as well. There is different levels of taboo of nudity depending on alot of things. I just don't see a reason for her to be put down for showing some leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, that was probably just a millisecond caught by the continuous camera clicks which are a joy to the newspaper. We KNOW they choose the pictures for the greatest impact (in their opinion). They have done it time and time again, they choose the pictures that "may" get the most comments. Just as an example, look at how many pictures of Beatrice there are with her mouth open and her eyes "bugging" out. Clearly they choose the ones for most effect. I highly doubt that Beatrice walks around with that expression on her face constantly.

To be honest, that was probably just a millisecond caught by the continuous camera clicks which are a joy to the newspaper. We KNOW they choose the pictures for the greatest impact (in their opinion). They have done it time and time again, they choose the pictures that "may" get the most comments. Just as an example, look at how many pictures of Beatrice there are with her mouth open and her eyes "bugging" out. Clearly they choose the ones for most effect. I highly doubt that Beatrice walks around with that expression on her face constantly.

Spot on! I've looked at lots of the pix and there is that single picture which has apparently diverted lots of people from the real focus of the day.

Exactly! I'm not saying Kate couldn't have that in the back of her mind, just that people are playing right into the medias game.

Because 'many people' wear something doesn't mean it's appropriate. The DoC is not just a regular person. While working (as she was) she represents the monarchy.

I'm under 50, I have a number of friends under 50 (and family) who would agree. It's not generational.

LaRae

I'm younger than you (a few months older than Catherine), and I agree. The slit in the dress (which I didn't notice) is a bit much for a daytime event. The length of the skirt is not too bad, and with weights in the hem, it would have been fine. Catherine is a representative of the monarchy, as well as the United Kingdom when she's out on engagements, and it may be in her best interest to keep the slits for the nighttime events (and even then in moderation). I'm not saying she should be in a potato sack, bit there's no reason to show one's legs via slits when on the job. She dresses conservative.y, which I love, but the slits, in any gowns should be reserved for when she's on her own time.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Exactly so. :flowers: However, as someone who does dress for the occasional 'public event', one gets one's priorities in order pretty quickly. Willful disregard for the ever-present camera simply tells me that the occasional 'flash' is fine with her, and likely a bit of fun (I'm a woman, who's desirable - I know the feeling well when I choose the one piece that can show that to my advantage). (That is pure speculation on my part, of course). It is very easy to choose 'safe' clothing, and even when 'not safe' to make such 'safe' with the application of some basting, a tack or whatever along those lines.

Catherine has nice legs. She shows them off, to advantage. Even by stealth. I get her point and am smiling. She adheres to the letter-of-the-law she is being required to maintain, but she remains the free-wheeling Kate inside. Who can't respect that? :flowers:

Last edited:
Kate should just show up wearing long sleeves, buttons up to the neck, full skirt to ankles and flats just to mess with everyone's head.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

To me flashes of leg like what what happened with the Ralph Lauren dress is not a big deal, even if I thought Catherine was being a little insouciant.

I think though that there is currently little tolerance among some because of multiple incidents where her skirts blew up and nothing was done to rectify the situation and it is no longer seen as insouciance or a little quirk, but either that Catherine is very clueless or inappropriately attention seeking.

Last edited:
Is this something that just happened in the last months? I've gone back and can't figure out what 'incident' you are refereeing too. Anyone have a link?

A catalog...

...from the Kim Davis Kentucky County Clerk Collection is on its way to the DoC. Featuring ankle-length denim jumpers and brightly-colored tee shirts, the outfits are sure to please even the most conservative viewers.

IMO if she is trying to hold down a wayward dress with one hand and hold her hair down with her other hand it makes her look awkward. Just put the weights in the hems check the spilt isn't too high and get on with the job. Then the headline might be what is doing

I'm not a fan of the coat Catherine wore to the Anna Freud centre, the pattern dazzles my eyes. I like her hairstyle a tiny bit better here as it looks more polished and "professional" (not sure if this is the right word to use here but hopefully you get what I mean) though I still prefer her old one.

The blue coat is absolutely lovely, the colour is amazing and suits Catherine very well.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 15: July 2014 -

...from the Kim Davis Kentucky County Clerk Collection is on its way to the DoC. Featuring ankle-length denim jumpers and brightly-colored tee shirts, the outfits are sure to please even the most conservative viewers.

Ha ha. Can we get Wills in the long sleeve baseball t-shirt, denim overalls and farmer hat that her husband sported?

The only recent skirt flash was Camilla at Charlotte's christening.

To me flashes of leg like what what happened with the Ralph Lauren dress is not a big deal, even if I thought Catherine was being a little insouciant.

I think though that there is currently little tolerance because of multiple incidents where her skirts blew up and nothing was done to rectify the situation and it is no longer seen as insouciance or a little quirk, but either that Catherine is very clueless or inappropriately attention seeking.

Catherine is surrounded by advisers on her wardrobe. If they thought there were problems with her dresses, they would obviously address it. I saw no problem with her split and her legs didn't show much at all.

From time to time, royal women do suffer a few wardrobe slip ups. That's the reality of the tug-a-war between dresses and wind.

Royal men in kilts have been subjected to the wind tug of war too. Just ask Philip. ?

Catherine is surrounded by advisers on her wardrobe. If they thought there were problems with her dresses, they would obviously address it. I saw no problem with her split and her legs didn't show much at all.

From time to time, royal women do suffer a few wardrobe slip ups. That's the reality of the tug-a-war between dresses and wind.
As I said in my first sentence the leg flash in the Ralph Lauren dress is not that big of a deal to me. However because of previous incidents Catherine is getting more scrutiny and analysis regarding her wardrobe choices which may or may not be a big deal to her.

I don't think that Catherine's advisers failed her when it came to this particular wardrobe choice, but I think there was a failure in Australia, whether it was on the part of the advisers or Catherine not listening.

Numerous royal women's (and men's) skirts/kilts have taken on air and it is not a big deal. In Kate's case more was exposed and there was more frequency which led to multiple media outlets doing stories about Kate's Marilyn moments.

As I said in my first sentence the leg flash in the Ralph Lauren dress is not that big of a deal to me. However because of previous incidents Catherine is getting more scrutiny and analysis regarding her wardrobe choices which may or may not be a big deal to her.

I don't think that Catherine's advisers failed her when it came to this particular wardrobe choice, but I think there was a failure in Australia, whether it was on the part of the advisers or Catherine not listening.

Numerous royal women's (and men's) skirts/kilts have taken on air and it is not a big deal. In Kate's case more was exposed and there was more frequency which led to multiple media outlets doing stories about Kate's Marilyn moments.
I have to say Queen Claude, In my my humble opinion you have a point. The media are watching and waiting for these moments.

I think it stems from her dating days with William. :ermm: Back then there were some truly aggressive pap pictures: at knee level at an open car door, for instance. I can't even imagine what a mob scene it had to have been and how unnerving such a crush would be. The leering of the paps just continued once she was married, culminating in the France pictures.The invasion of Kate's body has been long-standing, 'justified' (perhaps) by her cat-walk (in some minds) which was simply a bikini moment imo, nothing more.

This is a curious phenomenon around Kate. I am not one to say she 'likes' the 'reveals' (I suspect she doesn't, actually, or the more egregious ones for sure, the rest are likely a non-issue). She just lives at a time when the paps are not selective nor respectful. Kate was not respected as a royal for a long time it seems to me. She 'earned' respect once the babies came along but what is happening now is residue from that 'before-time'. It's an attitude one just doesn't see with other royal women. One hopes it would cease once she becomes the Princess of Wales and for sure when she is Queen.

Last edited:
Kate having a Marilyn moment brings clicks to an article. Camilla having one like she did in July doesn't so the press doesn't linger on it.

But if she had weights in the hem it wouldn't happen. Then there would be no story no photos. It just annoys me that she doesn't do that and I do wonder why

I must say most of these 'Marilyn moments' are nothing more than a ruffled hemline or a bit of thigh. Sheikhs in Saudi Arabia would have a difficult time making much of a fuss.

The vapours and faux pearl clutching are all the rage though

I must say most of these 'Marilyn moments' are nothing more than a ruffled hemline or a bit of thigh. Sheikhs in Saudi Arabia would have a difficult time making much of a fuss.

The vapours and faux pearl clutching are all the rage though

Yes most are nothing but there has been a couple of shockers why risk showing your bare bottom to the world !!!

Is a lightweight fabric going to support lead weights in the skirt? Canada was in July, Australia is a hot climate in many areas. She isn't going to be wearing a heavy material in hot climates. The NZ arrival was in a gale and she holding a baby going down steps.

Where were Camilla's lead weight on July 3 this year?

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 15: July 2014 -

Is a lightweight fabric going to support lead weights in the skirt? Canada was in July, Australia is a hot climate in many areas. She isn't going to be wearing a heavy material in hot climates. The NZ arrival was in a gale and she holding a baby going down steps.

Where were Camilla's lead weight on July 3 this year?

The Queen has managed it. Maybe the slip is one answer and I'm sure there are other ways one could keep your bottom covered

Last edited:
The Queen has managed it. Maybe the slip is one answer and I'm sure there are other ways one could keep your bottom covered

Well... the queen is mostly wearing heavy coats and long-ish dresses... Hardly something for a young woman to emulate. And I saw someone posted an article that mentioned that the queen had gotten her petticoat blown up over her head and that prince Phillip wasn't allowed to help her with it since it was seen as improper so the lady-in-waiting helped and the photographers didn't post the pictures. The little story was only published as a very small footnote like a year after the incident. So who can say if the Queen have had similar moments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom