The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 14: May 2014 - July 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Agree. Catherine has such long legs that a longer length is actually far more flattering. The only fashion drawback I see from buying "off the rack" is that she has limited choices because she is very long in the body and often "waisted" dresses look too high and it throws the balance off completely.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-y020Uk1gv...icle-2676324-1F4CC20800000578-824_470x721.jpg

I think dresses with ambiguous waistlines are responsible for an awful lot of speculation.

I think there is a certain look expected by the Queen for the members of the family. The family knows what is expected of them.

As far as Kate's dress lengths....I agree she looks much better with a hem at the knee or slightly below. She has a long torso and things look out of porportion and out of balance when she wears those shorter hemlines.

LaRae

Regarding that zipper dress - I've been thinking about it - unless they have a new 'technology' for those zippers, i would think the zipper is very uncomfortable when worn in the front. Must 'stand up' on its own when one sits down. :ermm:

And as for the zipper being in the back like Sofia Helqvist wore with her red engagement dress - rather chilly and hard when one sits down.

All-in-all, not a dress I would make a bee-line for. :nonono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1xvQi2RH48

This is pretty off topic. I posted the video of Diana's dress to emphasize that styles evolve over time. Some poster have criticized Catherine for dressing like an "old woman" even though she wears skirts above the knee, very high heels, and the cut, style, and print of her dresses are very much in fashion. I've seen many young professional women wear the styles Catherine does.

She doesn't dress like an avant guard artist because she is a member of the British Royal Family who represents the Queen. I can understand why some posters believe the family dresses in the professional style because the Queen prefers it. It's also possible that Catherine really prefers more conservative dress.

Similarly, many young women wore the fashions Diana wore in the 80s. Diana's dress was not considered matronly at the time. For proof, this is a photo of a young actress from the TV show, Dynasty, which was known for its fashion in the 80s. Wide lacy collars were very "in" and Diana embodied the trend. Sorry, ladies. Our fashion icon made some bad choices in the 80s for which we can't blame the royal family. In fairness, we all did. The 80s was not known as a great decade for clothes.

The point is that all trendy fashions will look dated in the future. That may be reason enough for Catherine to play it safe--most of the time.

Pamela Sue Martin Hand Signed 8×10 Autographed Nancy Drew Dynasty « Screaming From The Gallery

Last edited by a moderator:
This is pretty off topic. I posted the video of Diana's dress to emphasize that styles evolve over time. Some poster have criticized Catherine for dressing like an "old woman" even though she wears skirts above the knee, very high heels, and the cut, style, and print of her dresses are very much in fashion. I've seen many young professional women wear the styles Catherine does.

Understood. :flowers:

She doesn't dress like an avant guard artist because she is a member of the British Royal Family who represents the Queen. I can understand why some posters believe the family dresses in the professional style because the Queen prefers it. It's also possible that Catherine really prefers more conservative dress.

I agree. :flowers:

Similarly, many young women wore the fashions Diana wore in the 80s. Diana's dress was not considered matronly at the time. For proof, this is a photo of a young actress from the TV show, Dynasty, which was known for its fashion in the 80s. Wide lacy collars were very "in" and Diana embodied the trend. Sorry, ladies. Our fashion icon made some bad choices in the 80s for which we can't blame the royal family. In fairness, we all did. The 80s was not known as a great decade for clothes.

Oh. I do like these early dresses Diana wore. I think they're charming. I have purchased some vintage clothing from the 80's, in fact. :flowers:

I liked the Wimbledon dress - looks good on her. Not too sure about the green coat dress, but it reminds me of how cold Northern Europe can be in summer... brrrr.

It's totally possible to dress formally without looking old-fashioned. Lady Ella Windsor is around the same age as Kate and has been doing it for years at weddings; national church services; trooping the colour etc. She always looks stylish and appropriate but her clothes are never old-womanish.

A couple of posts that discussed Princess Diana only and that had nothing to do with the Duchess of Cambridge and her fashion choices have been removed as off-topic! Thanks for your understanding!

I do wonder why she is dressed like she's going to the office and WnH look young business casual, something like the jeans she wore to the Olympics would have been good.

Does anyone have a count on how many times Kate's dress has flown up in the wind? 3yrs of marriage and I think I have at least counted 5; and I just discovered it happened when she was pregnant as well.
I don't think her skirts are short or her heels too high, but why can't she learn to not wear flimsy skirts that fly in the wind?

So out of nowhere you decide to put up another negative post which covers ground that has been gone over so often its wearing grooves on this thread

Pointless post that serves no purpose.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 14: May 2014 -

So what else are we going to talk about? Is Kate out and about? Any engagements in the last few days when nobody has posted?! You don't like it, don't read it. Seeing as how my post was about Kate's fashion on the DOC fashion thread, I think yours is the one that is pointless...but unlike you I wouldn't say another persons opinion and topic of conversation is such a thing.

Also would like to hear suggestions on what you think Kate should hVe worn for Tour de France.

So what else are we going to talk about? Is Kate out and about? Any engagements in the last few days when nobody has posted?! You don't like it, don't read it. Seeing as how my post was about Kate's fashion on the DOC fashion thread, I think yours is the one that is pointless...but unlike you I wouldn't say another persons opinion and topic of conversation is such a thing.

Also would like to hear suggestions on what you think Kate should hVe worn for Tour de France.

A potato sack, then y'all would have something else to complain about.

Cepe is right, your raising up a topic like this is ridiculous. Can't you think of something more creative to talk about? Or do?

Nope, if I could I would have. I needed to know the number of times it has happened. Most recent was in NZ so it's not that long ago. Sorry for bringing up her fashion choices in her fashion thread that had been dead for almost a week.

Hang about, I think XeniaCasaraghi's query is a valid general observation, and where else would you cover such a question but on this thread?

I actually think discussing this situation "cold" rather than in the heat of such an event gives everyone time to think, go back and verify their facts and share any constructive facts or ideas.

cepe said:
Pointless post that serves no purpose.

I don't think there is any "stirring" going on and to be honest, I would like to know what other posters feel in general about this phenomenon. A quiet, logical analysis is neither pointless nor serving no purpose.

For me, I think I'd like to know if there was a common denominator, something the Catherine does or doesn't do as opposed to other royal women, since Catherine is in the unfortunate position of being a victim of the wind on several occasions.

Duchess of Durham said:
Cepe is right, your raising up a topic like this is ridiculous. Can't you think of something more creative to talk about? Or do?
Discussing situations, possibilities and theories is both creative and constructive. Whereas having a kneejerk reaction and slating other posters is neither.

In most other people's fashion forums, if they're not out and about, the thread just goes quiet until the next event... That's also an option for this one...

Thank u Marg
As a Kate defender I saw nothing wrong with bringing this up. It is not only about fashion but it's a large part of it because it happens so frequently. More than anything I just wondered if anyone had a good count in the incidences. I would even appreciate a pm from someone who knows.
As for a common denominator, clearly the most obvious is the wind, but that it happens so often without any learing on her part is the problem.

Last edited:
The easiest way for Catherine (or any of the young royal ladies) to avoid the wind problem without sacrificing current fashion trends in skirt length is to wear a pencil slip under the dress or skirt. Then if the wind picks up the skirt, the slip ensures their modesty. Problem solved. You're welcome. ;)

I admit when I err. I commented on the atrocious hem job on the Duchess's pink skirt on the Australia tour.

Well, it turns out that the ID was off and that the skirt was designed to look atrocious. So whomever did the hem, it was spot on. I take back my critique. See Prince George John Stillwell pictures » What Kate Wore

But why you would design a dress so that it looks as if the person doing the hem had one too many is still beyond me. ;)

The watermelon red dress was great. This hue is very fashionable this summer!

I admit when I err. I commented on the atrocious hem job on the Duchess's pink skirt on the Australia tour.

Well, it turns out that the ID was off and that the skirt was designed to look atrocious. So whomever did the hem, it was spot on. I take back my critique. See Prince George John Stillwell pictures » What Kate Wore

But why you would design a dress so that it looks as if the person doing the hem had one too many is still beyond me. ;)

Those photos are very interesting, AdmirerUS. Thank you for posting the link. I don't understand why the skirt would be designed to look uneven. But those clothing designers have to think up new things all the time to justify their existence. :D

One thing those pics tell me is that the skirt in the longer length as it is at the back gives the outfit a better balance and a more elegant look. Knees are not intrinsically attractive things and are better covered up on all but the very young, IMO.

Those photos are very interesting, AdmirerUS. Thank you for posting the link. I don't understand why the skirt would be designed to look uneven. But those clothing designers have to think up new things all the time to justify their existence. :D

One thing those pics tell me is that the skirt in the longer length as it is at the back gives the outfit a better balance and a more elegant look. Knees are not intrinsically attractive things and are better covered up on all but the very young, IMO.

Hahahahaha, I agree. That look was good for her, I think, weird hem and all.

Why was it necessary to discuss what Mrs Beckham presented to The Duchess of Cambridge? Now Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, will not be able to wear a pair of Louboutins.

Why was it necessary to discuss what Mrs Beckham presented to The Duchess of Cambridge? Now Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, will not be able to wear a pair of Louboutins.

Quite right. Now Christian Louboutins has shot himself in the foot. I do hope Catherine stiks with British brands like LK Bennett and Jimmy Choo.

I loved the green printed dress Kate wore for the recent family photos. Quite retro, but lovely!

The green dress is indeed very beautiful! I such a pity that it has been hidden several times by that awful green coat full of zips! Hope she will wear it more often

I like the green dress, very lovely!

I do too! I just wish I could see a full length pic of the Princess wearing it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom