The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 14: May 2014 - July 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually comment on the fashion stuff because, to be frank, it's unimportant nonsense, but on this occasion I have to.

As a 30-year-old woman, I'm getting seriously worried. I would wear just about anything Kate wears if I had the money and the figure. I do wear things that are quite similar to Kate, however. It appears I'm dressing like a "boring old woman". Oh dear.

My initial thought on seeing the first pictures was that William and Harry were at one event and Catherine was at another even though they were standing next to each other. From those pictures, I thought the guys were right and Catherine was over-dressed. (My mother always said better to be a little over-dressed than under-dressed!) However, having seen the pictures from the end of the stage, I have decided the reverse is true - the guys got it wrong. Maybe they should have worn something so that they could add ties for the end.

With regard to Catherine's coat - add me to the group that doesn't like that highly visible zipper. I don't mind zippers on very casual things but I think they make dressier outfits look a little cheap. I also don't like the color of the coat. Maybe it looks better in person, maybe it is just the way it appears on my monitor but to my eye there is something off about the green.

I have given up on the subject of her hair - I would cut it to just above her shoulders. On the subject of Catherine's posture, I am of the opinion that a large part of her problem is those ridiculous shoes she wears. I have said it before and I will say it again - there isn't a person on the planet who needs to wear 4 inch heels. The heel height tends to pitch her body forward and so she has to lean backwards to compensate so she doesn't fall on her face. In doing that she rounds her shoulders instead of pulling them back. The other problem is she has been doing it for so long, it has become automatic. She would probably need some serious work with a physical therapist or dance instructor to get her posture straightened out. Also lower heels.

I think none of them really got it wrong. The guys look a bit more casual but not necessarily too casual. She looks more formal which is OK comparing to what women are wearing as well. An outfit such as the Olympic torch one wouldn't have been appropriated at all. What makes her look out of place is the fact that she seems once again all wrapped up in a coat that is way too big for her frame and way to warm for the weather, not to talk about that curtain of hair.

She wore exactly the same level of "formality" as the Lord Lieutenant of Yorkshire - which means she didn't let her feel embarrassed. Catherine isnt bothered about posters, she just made sure that the most senior female official present was comfortable.

Re PetticoatLanes comments. Post#301

I'm with you. Most of the negative comments do not come from posters from the UK. I've always thought they lived in another world, but its only another place. Catherine looks fine to me, dresses appropriately and is v British

I shall enter on this discussion, it seems fun:lol:

1#. Catherine hardly gets a malfunction, or even none that I can remenber, I can like some clothes and others don't, it's up to the taste, but malfuncting, never.

2#. I think her style is just her personallity and taste speaking for itself. I always thought before she had some pretty short skirts and dresses, which I found inappropriate given what her station is. No matter if she wants to dress like common people or what most people do, she's royalty and that she mustn't forget. However, since having George her dresses and clothes improved on lenght, and I'm very happy about it;)

3#. "Dressing like a 53 year old". Well lets see, I think some styles are questionable for a women in her early 30s (but in the end it's just my taste) BUT she has a lot of youthfull clothes, probably most of them. For me, her style is overall boring, she could improve on accessories and clothes with the "wow" factor, but in the essence, she dresses nice and she has some clothes that I love dearly. I think as her position will go higher with time, her style will also evolve. Or at least is what I hope so...

4#. Her hair... This issue will never go away unfortunately, and it's because she almost never takes risks and inovation with her hair. I mean, I love her hair and I love her hair down and with large curls. BUTTTT it's a pity to have a hair that pretty and long and don't do anything with it????? My mother is a hairdresser and she said it's heartbreaking to not have fun with it, she could do lots of things, lots of ideas... it's a shame:sad:

I so do not care for this green coat dress...it looks too big on her, it's like a sack. If she wants to channel Jackie-O she needs to have it tailored.

LaRae

I do not like the green dress at all because of the shade of green and the material. This shade is quite dark and heavy and the material also seems to be a bit heavy too - so for me it's more an autumnal outfit. Oddly, had the outfit been, say, a pencil skirt and fitted jacket, I may well have preferred it.

While it looked sunny in Leeds, it was anything but in London today and as the day went on the weather got even icky-er and colder. It could have been she wore the coat due to weather in London and thought to take it off in Leeds, but it turned out to a cool sunny in Leeds, so Kate decided to keep it on.

I really don't know if that's the case or not, but putting it out there as a possibility for the coat.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I shall enter on this discussion, it seems fun:lol:

1#. Catherine hardly gets a malfunction, or even none that I can remenber, I can like some clothes and others don't, it's up to the taste, but malfuncting, never.

Have we been following the same Duchess of Cambridge?:whistling:

She wore exactly the same level of "formality" as the Lord Lieutenant of Yorkshire - which means she didn't let her feel embarrassed. Catherine isnt bothered about posters, she just made sure that the most senior female official present was comfortable.

But was she informed before leaving home of what the Lord Lieutenant would be wearing?

Last edited by a moderator:
But was she informed before leaving home of what the Lord Lieutenant would be wearing?

She would have been told the dress code for the formalities. I think W&H were not dressed appropriately.

Sorry, I disagree. A summer dress/ casual jacket would have been a better choice I think and the pictures support this - I don't see anyone else in a coat :)

Really?
I thought most people were wearing either a windbreaker or a hoodie; hardly anyone was in more summery clothes.

I don't usually comment on the fashion stuff because, to be frank, it's unimportant nonsense, but on this occasion I have to.

As a 30-year-old woman, I'm getting seriously worried. I would wear just about anything Kate wears if I had the money and the figure. I do wear things that are quite similar to Kate, however. It appears I'm dressing like a "boring old woman". Oh dear.

Haha me, too!!

And apparently, having gorgeous and healthy long hair that is somewhat curly or wavy (and hair that MOVES, that's the worst) is also the height of old womanhood.

Good grief.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 14: May 2014 -

I was there today guys, the weather was stunning and anyone in more than a summer dress and light suit jacket would have boiled!

Catherine in general was overdressed for the occasion. Her lemon yellow Grace Kelly dress from the Canada tour would have been perfect for this event, instead she wears green?!

Comparing her to what The Lord Lieutenant wore makes no sense as The Lord Lieutenant would have dressed according to meeting royals rain or shine IMO.

I'm a 21 year old and the only outfits Catherine has that have ever impressed me are the two military ones and the turquoise gala dress worn to a charity event I believe. In everything else she's looked appropriate and nice but never IMO dresses for her age or to suit her figure.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

^^^How was the event? The crowds lining the street were impressive. Glad to see such a turnout to support the event.

Sorry, I disagree. A summer dress/ casual jacket would have been a better choice I think and the pictures support this - I don't see anyone else in a coat :)

IMO, little point comparing her clothes to those others around there. There were no other royal ladies there, representing HM on a public engagement.

Even as I have not been fond of that coat, I think she looked good. I don't mind if a royal is overdressed slightly for an event, it bothers me if they are underdressed.
I would've liked to see Kate at this event at least with coat left open, I think it would've given the look a softer overall look and a slightly different look from the last time she wore it.

Kate's malfunctions have been blown across the globe :lol: Her royal behind is as famous as her these days.

IMO, little point comparing her clothes to those others around there. There were no other royal ladies there, representing HM on a public engagement.
Point well made and often overlooked. She is there for a reason other than that of spectator. She is representing HM.

There weren't too many Scots wearing HM "working dress" at the launch of HMS Queen Elizabeth. That didn't mean she rocked up in brogues, skirt and headscarf, driving her favourite old Balmoral Land Rover.

The comparison I made was meant in terms of the warmth of what she was wearing. However, in comparison with the other two Royals present representing the Queen(William and Harry) she still seemed to be dressed for a different event. Nevertheless it
looked a great day which all three seemed to fully enter into.

I don't really think she dresses like old women tbh (apart from a few occasions). It's her style... I barely see anything age-inappropriate.

The problem I think is that she recycles her outfit without much "effort". I always think it's a great thing that Kate, like other royal ladies, recycles outfits. But I wish she did it more "smartly". I noticed she usually repeats outfits within a short period & she almost repeats the same old set of clothing. It's just boring, fashion-wise.

Most of the negative comments do not come from posters from the UK. I've always thought they lived in another world, but its only another place. Catherine looks fine to me, dresses appropriately and is v British

I think you have probably hit on the difference of opinion. Most of people who complain that Catherine dresses like an old woman want her to dress informally.

Americans tend to dress casually, even for important events. There are people who show up in churches wearing shorts and t-shirts. A few years ago, some members of the U.S. Olympic lacrosse team showed up at the White House wearing flip-flops. That simply would not have happened in the U.K., or pretty much anywhere in Europe or Asia.

We tend to dress more formally in Washington, DC, but even here there are women who are underdressed when they attend important meetings with international delegations. Most of our foreign visitors are not offended because Americans have that reputation, but I think it does impact the women's effectiveness.

In the last 10 years or so, I have noticed that some European women, particularly those in their early 20s have started to dress more casually. But, overall, the European women I interact with dress formally for business meetings.

Catherine is on business when she makes public appearances. Think of what you would wear to an important job interview.

I will concede that some women Catherine's age may choose to wear different colored shoes with some outfits, but it is silly to argue that Catherine's "nose bleed" pumps would suit an old woman. She is also a minimalist when it comes to jewelry. Again, it is silly to argue that old women don't wear jewelry or other accessories. Her nude pumps and minimal accessories have nothing to do with age, it is her personal style.

The classic fashions she wears today will be a little dated in a few years because she does wear trendy clothes, but her look will age much better than the clothes Diana wore in the 80s. Diana was always a fashion icon and was never (or rarely) accused of being boring or dressing older than she was. But I guarantee that in 30 years, Catherine's style now will compare favorably to Diana's style during the 1980s. For proof, see the video below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qY1OahhMB8

Don't mind the dress certainly looks better than it did in the Soloman Islands.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Great choice.. {the green in it is exactly 'Wimbledon' green.}

I've disliked this dress before, and I dislike it now. A coat dress? In July??
:ermm:

It's a very pretty dress, best I have seen in awhile. Better than the green coat dress. I just find if fascinating that Kate's dresses are either too old for her or too short. I don't see many old women wearing short skirts so I'm floored how she gets these same complaints over and over. I think her style has become boring and safe but I'm not complaining about it. I don't recall British fashion ever being at the top of anyone's list. She may be young, but she is not Diana not is she a crown princess.

Always hated this dress she's wearing at Wimbledon. It's one of the ugliest things she has in her closet.

I quite like the dress for Wimbledon - but I have fond memories of her white dress from a couple of years ago she wore to the final.

I think she was certainly dressed appropriately BUT I didn't care for the dress the first time around and don't care for it now.

I've always rather liked that dress. Bright, fun and summery.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom