The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 13: April 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Kate will wear the wattle brooch at the GG reception?

I hope so. I think maybe the other best bet is the ANZAC service on 25th - before they fly home.

I liked that William is finally dressing a little more casually . . . I was starting to think his blue suits were painted on. As to Catherine's last few pallid dresses, well they are fine if you are going to an engagement but when you are the engagement . . . not so much.

People want to see her and merging into a sea of pales shirts etc. does not achieve that. At least at the Easter Show you could spot her because of all the "suits" around her.

As to the hair? Same old, same old. Hair in her face, hair in Williams face and probably hair in George's mouth before they left. I loved her ponytail but I think unfortunately that was just a oncer.

I liked that William is finally dressing a little more casually . . . I was starting to think his blue suits were painted on. As to Catherine's last few pallid dresses, well they are fine if you are going to an engagement but when you are the engagement . . . not so much.

People want to see her and merging into a sea of pales shirts etc. does not achieve that. At least at the Easter Show you could spot her because of all the "suits" around her.

As to the hair? Same old, same old. Hair in her face, hair in Williams face and probably hair in George's mouth before they left. I loved her ponytail but I think unfortunately that was just a oncer.

I'm really kind of liking her simplicity for the most part. No fancy bows and bells nor does she seem overly concerned that her hair be styled in knots and twists and braids. Its often been said that the clothes make the person but in Kate's case, I don't think she feels the need to have clothes or hairstyles or jewels define her. She's a minimalist when it comes to this sort of thing and to me, that's a woman confident in her own skin.

:previous: Who's talking "knots, twists and braids"? I merely mentioned the ponytail, which has got to be more simple that spending the day fluffing around with her hair, has not been repeated and probably wont be.

I would have thought a minimalist would be more likely to use a simple ponytail rather than spend the whole day trying to keep an ever more windblown mass of hair out of her and her husband's face.

It's lovely. I especially notice that the waist band is in the correct place, not as high as some of her other dresses. I think it makes all the difference.

Love it. It might be the best outfit of the tour.

Love it. It might be the best outfit of the tour.

I absolutely adored the pink outfit and think it was one of the best looks yet. Any clue on what the necklace was?

Catherine looked quite lovely today in the pink dress, everything about the outfit was perfect, even the shoes. It was nice to see her hair pulled back for a change, she has a beautiful face, and she hides it most of the time, maybe that's her security blanket so to speak. Whatever, she looked the best besides the red suit with the belt, she looked great!

Its McQueen, very pretty but I agree about the neckline being too low.

Very attractive look from Kate today. The colour is very flattering and her hair is lovely.

At first I loved this outfit but now I think the neckline is too low. Also the shape emphasizes her narrowness through the hips.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2wpl72q.jpg
OMG That is just wrong. What on earth was she thinking. With all her hits and misses, which have provided lots of vastly diverse opinions and on occasion healthy debate, I never thought I would be saying that something she was wearing in public is just plain vulgar.

Is there any color which is not becoming to Catherine?

Depends who you ask;

I like this pale pink outfit, the structure suits Catherine but the colour is boring as are the shoes. I have no issue with the neckline or the "narrow" hips, she looks fine.

Last edited:
OMG That is just wrong. What on earth was she thinking. With all her hits and misses, which have provided lots of vastly diverse opinions and on occasion healthy debate, I never thought I would be saying that something she was wearing in public is just plain vulgar.

My goodness what a horrible thing to say about anybody regardless whether your a duchess or not. Please tell me how this is a *Vulgar* dress? Is it too short, not enough sex appeal for you, the color is to dull perhaps.............just how vulgar is this dress? Maybe you should view some of the KKK's here in the states, now that is just plain vulgar and trashy. The Duchess of Cambridge is doing great...she is still in a learning part of this job that she married into, still a young wife, young mother and part of a very historical family. None of us can chose our parents in this world and we all can't be royals...............

I cannot see how what Kate is wearing can be described as vulgar. There is nothing rude or offensive about her appearance . The fact that amongst the many photos taken of her from many different angles, this one reveals she has a slight cleavage does not make her appear brash or flaunting which is my understanding of what vulgar means.

Definition of vulgar from the Oxford Dictionary

Lacking sophistication or good taste; unrefined:
Making explicit and offensive reference to sex or bodily functions; coarse and rude:
(dated) Characteristic of or belonging to the masses.

Vulgar doesn't seem to be a word that applies to the Duchess or her wardrobe.

And if you look back at pictures of HM when she was younger, she occasionally displayed decolletage.

Last edited:
I don't care much for the deep V neck, its a change to what she usually wears. The fit, structure and the color is very pretty. Such a lovely outfit which would look lovely when matched with a hat, maybe for another event in the future. I wouldn't mind also seeing a belt with this.

Hmmm I want to like this dress but I just find something off about it. I do think the neckline is a bit low for daywear. I also find the way the dress fits makes her torso look overly long...not crazy about the skirt at the waist. Love the length of the dress and the color is nice. Past that...don't really think I like it.

LaRae

IMO, one can agree or disagree with Catherine's fashion choices, but I can't see how this dress can be construed as vulgar in any way. In this day and age, I just don't think it is a particularly revealing dress even from the angle it is photographed.

Hmmm I want to like this dress but I just find something off about it. I do think the neckline is a bit low for daywear. I also find the way the dress fits makes her torso look overly long...not crazy about the skirt at the waist. Love the length of the dress and the color is nice. Past that...don't really think I like it.

LaRae

It's not a dress, it's a two piece top and skirt. :)

IMO, one can agree or disagree with Catherine's fashion choices, but I can't see how this dress can be construed as vulgar in any way.
Please refer to the attached photo. IMO It might fly on a celebrity but not on a royal.
I never thought I would be saying that something she was wearing in public is just plain vulgar.
http://oi58.tinypic.com/2wpl72q.jpg

Oxford Dictionary:
Vulgar

Line breaks: vul¦gar
Pronunciation: /ˈvʌlgə /

ADJECTIVE

1 Lacking sophistication or good taste.

It's not like she's purposely leaning down so the eagle eyed photographer can get a picture of her cleveage and giving him a little wink on the side. It's similar to the incident when Diana got out of the car in that shoulder black dress.

The McQueen outfit lacks neither sophistication or good taste, IMO.

It's not like she's purposely leaning down so the eagle eyed photographer can get a picture of her cleveage and giving him a little wink on the side. It's similar to the incident when Diana got out of the car in that shoulder black dress.

The McQueen outfit lacks neither sophistication or good taste, IMO.

Agreed. I really like this outfit actually. It's a nice color, well tailored, and she looks lovely.

Hmm, I think the matter is a rather subjective one. Nonetheless, I do like these little arguments.
From MY point of view, one should never look towards a duchess's chest area and it is unfortunate that this little rule of mine has had to be broken yet again on account of what has been said. Accordingly, I think the outfit is very lovely, a little low cut maybe, but whilst HRH is standing up, I do not think there is anything too amiss about it.
I think the outfit would look vulgar on an older woman such as the Queen or my mother, and it would be vulgar of Catherine to deliberately flaunt herself by pushing her chest out whilst pulling down the front of the garment to retrieve a stray cheese&onion crisp. Other than that, the outfit is quite suitable to allow air-flow in warmer climates.

Surely we should be up in arms about the fact that William is constantly togged up neater than a nun's wimple and never looks vulgar even in the summer.....

The dress is fine. I would not call it vulgar. I think she dresses beautifully and has the height and figure to wear just about anything, unlike most of the family.

The pale pink McQueen suit from Adelaide has been my least favourite outfit of the tour. I don't like the proportions on the peplum top with the skirt.

I really did think she would have worn more local designers during the tour. One in each country hasn't been that great for highlighting their fashion designers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom