The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 13: April 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she wanted to wear heels but she could not be wearing heels when planting tree - the pointed heels will damage the grass. So the wedge is a great substitute.

While I normally dislike those wedges, they did suit the DVF dress although it would be nice to see her in a lower pair. I like the busy pattern; very reminiscent of the '70s when Diane VF created the wrap. A light, breezy look for Kate today.

I'm a fan of navy and white so I really like the patterned wrap dress.

Going, going, gone! Kate's £292 Diane Von Furstenberg dress sells out in just EIGHT MINUTES-
Kate, Duchess of Cambridge's dress for day two of Australian tour sells out | Mail Online

She did look good in the dress.

I love the dress and bought it a couple of weeks ago. Pricing is right, as I paid the equivalent in US$. It is made from a lucious silk jersey. The reason they sell out so quickly is because most retailers only carry one dress in each size, so exposure is limited.

Kate looks great in this garment, but the sky-scraper wedgies are a tad passe.

Last edited:
I really like the wrap dress, but hate the wedges. I know she likes her heels, but she should have changed into flats when up on the mountain.

I remember she used to wear some really cute ballet flats when she and William were dating. I wish she would start wearing them again, because some engagements really require a lower heel/flats.

Here's Tom and Lorenzo's take:

Cathy Cambridge, Prints-ess | Tom & Lorenzo Fabulous & Opinionated

But seriously, she looks fantastic. It’s amazing what a print and some cork wedges can do for a gal. This is all in her style wheelhouse, but those little additions take her from being Queen Elizabeth’s grand-daughter-in-law to being a stylish young woman who likes her look. There’s nothing forced or “I’m following the rules” about it.

Count me in as a fan of the wedges, also.

I really like the wrap dress, but hate the wedges. I know she likes her heels, but she should have changed into flats when up on the mountain.

I remember she used to wear some really cute ballet flats when she and William were dating. I wish she would start wearing them again, because some engagements really require a lower heel/flats.

But she also like her heels.She is obviously very comfortable in them. I wear high wedges all the time and trust me ,they are comfortable. She is on her feet a lot, let her make that choice. There is nothing more uncomfortable than walking in painful uncomfortable shoes. Plus she looks absolutely beautiful from head to toe. Thank God she sticks to what she likes and not what other people like for her. That's shows a very confident woman.

I'm usually not bothered by her heels, but I think wearing flats would have been better when going over rocky trails and standing near cliffs. I was fine when she was wearing heels earlier in the day, I just thought flat shoes were more practical later on in the visit. I don't want her to stop wearing heels (especially since she's so comfortable in them), but this is one time where I thought flats would have been more appropriate.

I have to agree with you, Soapstar. No matter how comfortable you are in high heels or sky-high wedges, I wouldn't want to test that theory or my safety wearing those skyscrapers on a cliff. That's not appropriate footwear in uneven terrain or on steep heights. Didn't she stumble on those same wedges at the vineyard? A mishap can always occur, even for someone accustomed to and confident in wearing a higher heel. A flat shoe or her boat shoes would have been better for a quick change to the visit on that site; we'd have forgiven Kate for sacrificing style for safety. ;)

But as I said in my previous post, those wedges did suit the look of her wrap dress... on more solid ground.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how I feel about Catherine's latest dress. From some angles, I like it, because the colours go nicely together and it looks fresh and summery. On the other hand, I don't like it, because it's a little busy for my taste and the print is very '70's wallpaper' like IMO.

I'm with Baroness of Books on her wedges, they went perfectly with the dress.

I liked the dress. That pattern would look hideous on me, but it works on Kate. Also makes her easy to see for the people gathered to see them.

As for her shoes...Have some of you seen the monstrosities Mette-Marit, Maxima and Letizia have worn on their feet over the years? I will happily take Kate's repeated rotation of nude/cork wedges/black heels and how they always add to her look instead of taking away from it any day and twice on Sunday when I stop and think of what she could be wearing on her feet.

I don't like those wedges but she does and they were perfectly fine and appropriate for earlier in the day but I cannot imagine what possessed her to wear them walking around that cliff. Those tracks on the sandstone in the Blue Mountains are uneven and I think she was taking a great risk being so close to the edge in such ustable footware.

Yes, Catherine did nearly come to grief at a vineyard whilst wearing those sky high wedges. I can't imagine what she was thinking teetering over rough ground near a cliff. But perhaps she was unaware of the danger.

However, my concern is not that I loathe those shoes becasue I actually quite like the look of them . . . just not on Catherine on whom they have an incredibly deleterious effect on her posture. It is almost as if they unbalance her and she has to push her head forward to centre herself. Not a good look and one that could end up causing her pain.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/17/article-2606558-1D27B8F800000578-239_964x654.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Fi6lMoSKI...e%2BTour%2BAustralia%2BNew%2Bucaf-6eQFeXx.jpg

Last edited:
I really like her wedges. They remind me of the ones I wore to work in the 1950's. Our heels were 4 inches tall and I found the wedges more stable.

Last edited:
I really like her wedges. They remind me of the ones I wore to work in the 1950's. Our heels were 4 inches tall and I found the wedges more stable.

Interesting. I once wore a pair of my mother's wedges of that vintage and I found them to be less stable because I felt I had no control because of the lack of flexibility in the sole.

Sometimes took extended shopping to find the comfortable ones.

You and I Marg, are on the same page with Kate's forward head posture and how it will cause pain in not too many years. I'm working on mine myself and very aware of it in others. Maybe she'll see her own pictures and notice it.

I'm another who loves those wedges!

I don't have the greatest sense of balance, I'd turn an ankle in high heels, but wedges add much more stability. I don't get why so many are down on them!

I'm another who loves those wedges!

I don't have the greatest sense of balance, I'd turn an ankle in high heels, but wedges add much more stability. I don't get why so many are down on them!

It's a matter of personal preference and experience. I don't like the look of those wedges, for one thing, especially when they are so high, and my experience of them is that they are unstable and it's easy to turn your ankle in them.

This is a fashion thread and discussion of likes and dislikes in respect of fashion is what this place is for. Lots of people disliked the yellow dress with the white inserts. I liked it a lot and thought those white inserts added interest and contrast and I thought Kate looked fabulous in it. I thought she should have worn white shoes with it though and not those beige shoes because I like shoes to match the outfit. We all like different things and I think it is a good thing we do.

Yes, Roslyn, white shoes would have really matched the yellow dress well. While I didn't like the white inserts, I think white shoes would have coordinated well and completed the look of the outfit. Those nude shoes need a long rest!

Yes, Roslyn, white shoes would have really matched the yellow dress well. While I didn't like the white inserts, I think white shoes would have coordinated well and completed the look of the outfit. Those nude shoes need a long rest!

white shoes are not popular in the UK

I don't dislike all wedges, just certain styles. The ones Kate wore yesterday are just not attractive to me, but I love the ones she's wearing today. I think they're very cute and go really well with the dress.

I have to agree with you, Soapstar. No matter how comfortable you are in high heels or sky-high wedges, I wouldn't want to test that theory or my safety wearing those skyscrapers on a cliff. That's not appropriate footwear in uneven terrain or on steep heights. Didn't she stumble on those same wedges at the vineyard? A mishap can always occur, even for someone accustomed to and confident in wearing a higher heel. A flat shoe or her boat shoes would have been better for a quick change to the visit on that site; we'd have forgiven Kate for sacrificing style for safety. ;)

But as I said in my previous post, those wedges did suit the look of her wrap dress... on more solid ground.

Yep, she almost took a tumble at the vineyard. That's why I was hoping she would have ditched the wedges when they visited the lookout.

Last edited:
Ohhh...Love, love, love this dress!! Perfect for a day at the Easter Show and lovely for the Kids at Bear Cottage. Gorgeous!!

The white dress is lovely. I like how relaxed it is without it being stiff or too tailored. I don't mind the wedges at all with this look as it works well.

Yes, that's the beauty of this forum, that people have different opinions! I like today's white dress but not the sandals, I find them very ugly. Another choice of shoe would have looked much better with this dress
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/18/article-2607475-1D2B937C00000578-825_964x1713.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/18/article-2607475-1D2BCEFF00000578-981_470x797.jpg

I personally dont mind wedges, I wear the spanish Alpargatas (wedge style) through the whole summer as I find them very comfortable. It's just that they don't go with all outfits and Kate wears them, imo, when they are not suitable.

:eek: it looks ridiculous to run through the sand with wegdes
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/18/article-2607555-1D2C48FB00000578-426_964x627.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/18/article-2607555-1D2CDAB300000578-305_964x611.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's the beauty of this forum, that people have different opinions! I like today's white dress but not the sandals, I find them very ugly. Another choice of shoe would have looked much better with this dress
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/18/article-2607475-1D2B937C00000578-825_964x1713.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/18/article-2607475-1D2BCEFF00000578-981_470x797.jpg

I personally dont mind wedges, I wear the spanish Alpargatas (wedge style) through the whole summer as I find them very comfortable. It's just that they don't go with all outfits and Kate wears them, imo, when they are not suitable.

I'm in agreeement DOM, I love the dress but the wedges don't go for me this time. I pair of coloured flats would have been nice.

Love the dress don't hate the wedges just glad she isn't wearing the navy ones.

That close up of the wedges reveal more than we need to see. She needs moisturiser on her heels!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom