The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 12: November 2013 - April 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! We've got the skirt flying up being discussed in two two threads. :rolleyes:

I love this outfit, the color, the fit. I even like the hat. Perfect start for me. I

I don't think having an updo would have worked with the hat or this outfit. People are already saying she looked like an airline stewardess. She would have really looked like one with her hair up.

I like this outfit, a very polished look. But of course we have a flying skirt again :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Its getting difficult when you have to carry a baby, try to keep your skirt from flying up and walk down wobbly stairs

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/07/article-2598337-1CE401EA00000578-12_470x658.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/07/article-2598337-1CE403D900000578-708_470x658.jpg

Touching town in Sydney on their way to Wellington
Recyled dress
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/07/article-2598452-1CE3A68C00000578-916_634x764.jpg

Love, love, love her Outfit.
But the flying skirt will not amuse the Queen
Bye Bine

Love the Catherine Walker a line coat,great longer length for her, wonderful collar too. Her hair was a miss for me but she put it over her shoulders at the greeting and that was preferable. She could have dressed it in a french braid. I liked the hat too. I haven't seen any flight attendants looking like that :whistling:
Only major criticism, William should have carried the baby.

Last edited:
The coat (the colour, fit) is a perfect choice. The rest is so so. The pillbox hat is very tricky to pull off without looking like an air hostess. The Duchess of Cambridge failed to wear it properly. Crown Princess Mette-Marit always pulls off pillbox hats.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the hat. The rest is okay though.

Love the outfit and the hat but as ever the attention to the skirt leaves me wondering ... Windy Wellington is a bit os warcry so just wonder with all the help at her fingertips why this again .. anyway I do love the red it is stunning and shoes lovely.

^^^Yes, Bertie, have to agree with you on that. And navigating those stairs on a windy day holding a squirming George, fidgeting with her hair, hat and flying skirt while descending in high heels are pretty dangerous conditions. William definitely should have carried the baby.

The color and pillbox make for a pretty outfit, but the amount of all those massive buttons detracted from the lovely wattle brooch. I think the brooch would have looked fantastic on her hat, or have fabric-covered buttons instead if she was wearing it on the coat.

Last edited:
I think Kate's red outfit was fine, except for too high heels. Besides all, she is pretty tall herself.

The height of the heels was the only miss. Otherwise, a very elegant look.

^^^Yes, Bertie, have to agree with you on that. And navigating those stairs on a windy day holding a squirming George, fidgeting with her hair, hat and flying skirt while descending in high heels are pretty dangerous conditions. William definitely should have carried the baby.

The color and pillbox make for a pretty outfit, but the amount of all those massive buttons detracted from the lovely wattle brooch. I think the brooch would have looked fantastic on her hat, or have fabric-covered buttons instead if she was wearing it on the coat.

I agree. Only when you look at pictures to see the details you notice she's wearing a brooch. The first thing you notice are those buttons. Fabric covered buttons sounds like a good solution.

And flowing skirts at an airport AGAAAIN.
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Duke+Duchess+Cambridge+Tour+Australia+New+k0K1Xuoxc47l.jpg

I like the hair and the hat, though I would have prefered it a bit smaller. I don't like the coat, too many and too big buttons. They give it a cheap look, IMO.

Last edited:
I liked both outfits. It doesn't matter the red one might resemble an an airline stewardess - she looked adorable as ever.
I don't mind hight heals not her hair being down, except... she doesn't learn, doesn't want to learn (doesn't care) or has terrible aids. Once or twice having problems with winds is ok, but constantly flashing and having problems with her hair shows up a very bad image. Just use some hair fixer and pins and skirt tube underwear.

I agree with you totally, Baroness! Also, shouldn't her designers know by now to use the secret of the Queen re her skirts flying up? It's gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

Kate has worn quite a few all-red ensembles in the past and I prefer some of them to this latest one. The ones worn during her Canadian visit and the Jubilee celebrations, for example, have a far prettier and youthful effect in my opinion.

I agree with you totally, Baroness! Also, shouldn't her designers know by now to use the secret of the Queen re her skirts flying up? It's gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

Or at least wear a form-fitting slip that won't fly up. :whistling:

Kate has worn quite a few all-red ensembles in the past and I prefer some of them to this latest one. The ones worn during her Canadian visit and the Jubilee celebrations, for example, have a far prettier and youthful effect in my opinion.

Thanks for the links. The one from the Canadian visit is very nice with its more youthful look....and with fabric-covered buttons.;)

Last edited:
I think the red outfit is really lovely and classic, though I felt a bit bad for Kate having to contend with the wind and the (absolutely adorable) squirming baby. It probably would have been nice to have William carry George as they came of the plane (not a real complaint, just seems it would've made things a bit easier). I love that she wore a pillbox, as I love pillbox hats, but this one didn't seem quite right - I don't know if it's the shape or the fit or what, but it seems a little off. Overall, though, it was a good, classic look. Oh, and the brooch was lovely, too.

Thanks for posting those. I was just thinking about how her red outfits have been among my favorites, especially the one worn at the Jubilee celebrations (which I think was a McQueen design? I thing she tends to look at her best/most polished in a McQueen ensemble).

Jubilee celebrations is one of my favourite outfits, without the hat or the stupid hair, there's a sophistication about the fit which suits Catherine's frame. Canada looks like it's hanging off her.

I liked the coat only. The rest is so so. The pillbox hat is very tricky to pull off without looking like an air hostess. The Duchess of Cambridge failed to wear it properly. Crown Princess Mette-Marit always pulls off pillbox hats.

So, the pillbox is dead forever except to female air stewards? How long has it been since you saw an air steward in a hat? Much less a pillbox?

For me, when I see any red toned pillbox, I see President Kennedy's brains and blood all over the suit that it matched. But I don't let it spoil the Cambridge's moment because I am stuck in 1963.

IMHO

The Jubilee outfit is one of my all time favorites. Everything about that outfit worked...her hair, the hat and the accessories (purse and scarf).

I loved the Canadian outfit too. In fact, I've loved all of her red outfits (this current one included). Red really looks good on her.

Last edited:
Although I thought Kate looked good ( she pretty much always does), I thought the outfit was what I can best describe as typical of what Senior British Royals wear on Official visits, and that makes me a little sad. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Kate to do something extreme, but I think this was rather an old -and dare I say, dated look for Kate, and way too fussy with all those buttons plus the brooch. Whilst I understand this was a formal arrival with William inspecting the troops etc, I really hope Kate has the confidence to develop a style that is comfortable and more what a young woman might wear and yes that may mean trousers.

Although I thought Kate looked good ( she pretty much always does), I thought the outfit was what I can best describe as typical of what Senior British Royals wear on Official visits, and that makes me a little sad. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Kate to do something extreme, but I think this was rather an old -and dare I say, dated look for Kate, and way too fussy with all those buttons plus the brooch. Whilst I understand this was a formal arrival with William inspecting the troops etc, I really hope Kate has the confidence to develop a style that is comfortable and more what a young woman might wear and yes that may mean trousers.

Maybe that is what she has done. She has found a style that she is comfortable with and appropriate for the job.

She is probably happier in jeans/casual wear. These are her workclothes. I spent years wearing stuff that I only wore to work and considered my "uniform". Lots of people do this

So, the pillbox is dead forever except to female air stewards? How long has it been since you saw an air steward in a hat? Much less a pillbox?

For me, when I see any red toned pillbox, I see President Kennedy's brains and blood all over the suit that it matched. But I don't let it spoil the Cambridge's moment because I am stuck in 1963.

IMHO

I think (most) stewardesses stopped wearing hats around the time the term stewardess went out the window - I can see how Kate's outfit might recall a vintage stewardess look, but not something one would see on a flight attendant today.

Sadly, the pillbox does seem to be mostly dead these days, along with nice hats in general - it seems I only ever see them on royals. I must say it's a favorite style of mine in large part because of Jackie Kennedy (Jackie, coincidentally, didn't really care for hats - she favored the pillbox because they were a kind of compromise, since they just kind of set on the back of the head unobtrusively). That's why I like it when Kate and other royals wear classic pieces that most of us couldn't get away with these days.

I think (most) stewardesses stopped wearing hats around the time the term stewardess went out the window - I can see how Kate's outfit might recall a vintage stewardess look, but not something one would see on a flight attendant today.

Sadly, the pillbox does seem to be mostly dead these days, along with nice hats in general - it seems I only ever see them on royals. I must say it's a favorite style of mine in large part because of Jackie Kennedy (Jackie, coincidentally, didn't really care for hats - she favored the pillbox because they were a kind of compromise, since they just kind of set on the back of the head unobtrusively). That's why I like it when Kate and other royals wear classic pieces that most of us couldn't get away with these days.

see my post 3 back from this - Maxima is keeping it alive

Maybe that is what she has done. She has found a style that she is comfortable with and appropriate for the job.

Exactly. People may not like some of her clothing choices, but that doesn't mean that she hasn't developed a comfortable style. In fact, I'll say she's quite comfortable in the things she wears, since she hasn't changed her style even with all of the criticism.

see my post 3 back from this - Maxima is keeping it alive

Yes, great examples! And I seem to recall CP Mary wearing a pillbox on a trip to Washington a few years ago - I remember being quite excited about that. :)

Loved Kate's coat and dress but I'm still not sure how I feel about the hat. I think it's just the shape of it that doesn't quite work for me. Ladies like Maxima and Mette-Marit can work a pillbox hat but the jury is still out for Kate. Maybe if it was a smaller pillbox shape?

The pillbox was a good choice - otherwise the hongi would have been in jeopardy!

I like what she's wearing, it's OK. My favorite red outfit of Catherine's is the one she wore to the Jubilee celebration. It was perfect from head to toe.

The pillbox was a good choice - otherwise the hongi would have been in jeopardy!

When I read this I wondered how her headwear would have some impact on whether or not they got to have lunch, but then I realised it was "hongi", not "hangi". :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom