The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 12: November 2013 - April 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that Kate has already found her style, it has been the same since she graduated from University.

I believe that Kate has already found her style, it has been the same since she graduated from University.

And hasn't she frequently appeared on best-dressed lists? So she must be doing something right. If I had gorgeous legs like hers, I would never wear pant suits.

Oh my. Jacknch, wouldn't that have been something if the urban legend was true? I can't even imagine it especially in that era. Lol.

I believe it could easily be true. That very thing happened to my grandmother in the 1930s in the streets of Sydney. There she was in all her finery, wearing a fashionable hat and the obligatory dead fox wrapped around her neck, and down they went. She stepped out of them and walked on. Those loose, silky, bloomers ladies wore in those days just slipped right off if the elastic failed.

I'm all for Kate wearing nice tailored pants suits. It would solve all these flilmsy skirt problems. Go for it, Kate!

I'm all for Kate wearing nice tailored pants suits. It would solve all these flilmsy skirt problems. Go for it, Kate!

I wholeheartedly agree, Roslyn! A variation in her wardrobe would certainly be nice for a change, then that pesky wind won't always get blamed for those upward moments.;)

Last edited:
Overall I like Catherine's outfit she wore during the Place2be Forum. The skirt does remind me very much of a school kilt, but it's nice nonetheless. I would say that the jacket is my least favourite part of Catherine's outfit, because I don't like the lines/zips on it.

I like the brown coat dress, but hate the shooties. Not only do they throw the outfit off, but they look a little scuffed up. Heels would have looked much better. Now the blue outfit, I really loved that...I thought she looked perfect. It's unfortunate that it was so windy though.

As for the skirt length debate, I see nothing wrong with the length of her skirt. I've seen many other royal women wearing skirts of that length (and even shorther), yet no one makes as big a deal about it.

But it is happening with Kate time and time again and she doesn't appear to learn how to deal with it.
Kate should most definitely not wear skirts below the knee, she is not 60. Her skirt is appropriate for a modern woman of her age.

It seems that she has started wearing a slip or liner with her skirts, so it does appear that she's trying to deal with it.

I know people keep talking about weights, but weights can only do so much in really windy weather. I think the problem is more so with the fabric. When she wears fitted dresses or ones with a heavier fabric, she doesn't have these type of wind issues. Notice the few times that the Queen's dress has flown up, she was wearing a lighter fabric dress too.

Kate and Letizia have one major thing in common and that is their emaciated frames. It is concerning that the Duchess of Cambridge is so closely associated with Children's causes and Sports charities and yet perpetuates a poor body image for young women. Like Diana, in about 5 years she will likely confess to an eating disorder. I suspect that it is not easy to be in the public eye and have all of your moves critiqued but I do worry for her health.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with her weight/frame and unless you're her doctor, it's best not to speculate on her health.

Well, now, Hilary isn't the only prominent lady to wear pantsuits and wear them well. Just look at Letizia, Maxima as well as other royal ladies who certainly wear them with style, flair and panache. I think it would be a good idea for Kate to vary her wardrobe up at official events and put on a nice pair of slacks with a great blazer and accessories. It's not that she'd be breaking the style barrier here! :whistling:
Unfortunately not everyone shares your admiration of Letizia's pantsuits. I've seen lots of criticism about how her pantsuits are boring, ugly and not suitable for a princess. So it appears there is nothing that these women can wear, that won't invite some type of criticism.

Kate doesn't strike me as someone that likes pantsuits. I mean, in the 10+ years that she's been in the public eye, I've never once seen her wear one. Plus, the women in the BRF don't really wear pantsuits. The only time I've seen any of them in pants, is during engaments that involve some type of sports or military related activity. Otherwise, they're pretty much always in skirts or dresses. So since it seems standard practice in the BRF, I don't see Kate wearing pantsuits any time soon.

Kate's style is hit or miss for me. I think she does casual wear really well, but her dressier style is not always that great. It seems as if she's still trying to find her footing when it comes to what to wear to engagements. It will be interesting to see how her style changes through the years. Has she found a style that she likes and will stick with, or will she start to experiment a bit more? Will she rely on a stylist (like Mary and Charlene), or will she continue to choose her own outfits?

Last edited:
Unfortunately not everyone shares your admiration of Letizia's pantsuits. I've seen lots of criticism about how her pantsuits are boring, ugly and not suitable for a princess. So it appears there is nothing that these women can wear, that won't invite some type of criticism.

Thank you, you've just reiterated what I said previously that all these royal women will invite criticism of their clothing, no matter what they wear and how they wear it, since these fashion threads always invite hot and heavy debate across the board. Letizia was just one example of what I had been discussing, and my "admiration" of her pantsuits doesn't include the times that she does wear them in an inappropriate manner. I'm not blind to how any of these women commit fashion faux pas, including the subject of this particular thread who could benefit from a good stylist.

Last edited:
Perhaps Kate is trying to alleviate the situation with her flying skirts, she did have a slip on this time. I shouldn't say she isn't doing anything about it when I don't know either way. And I can't recall Kate wearing dress pants; I know she's worn jeans and pants that stop above the ankle, but nothing close to a pants suit, and I can't say I want her to wear one.

:previous: Yeah, I haven't seen her in dressy pants either. Even when she was dating William, her wardrobe consisted of just skirts, dresses and jeans. And since the women in the BRF rarely wear pants at engagements, I don't see pantsuits in Kate's immediate future.

Thank you, you've just reiterated what I said previously that all these royal women will invite criticism of their clothing, no matter what they wear and how they wear it, since these fashion threads always invite hot and heavy debate across the board. Letizia was just one example of what I had been discussing, and my "admiration" of her pantsuits doesn't include the times that she does wear them in an inappropriate manner. I'm not blind to how any of these women commit fashion faux pas, including the subject of this particular thread who could benefit from a good stylist.

To be clear, I wasn't implying that you don't or haven't criticized Letizia when she's worn inappropriate outfits. My point was that pantsuits wouldn't solve Kate's style problem, since even women that wear them well (Letizia and Hillary), get criticized.

I don't think Kate needs to hire a stylist, her style is fine to me. I do think she needs to tweak some things with her wardrobe though. Since she's tall, some of the hemlines for her dresses/skirts look a little uneven, so I think employing a good tailor would do wonders for her.

Last edited:
I guess that Catherine will get critisized no matter what she wears, just like any other Princess will always find someone who hates her fashion choices and some people who adore them.
Being one of the most-photographed and most-talked about royals at the moment, I guess she is aware of her image but she seems to stick to her own idea of beauty and her style did not change very much from the time she got married. Most of the time I like her outfit choices & she usually gets a lot of positive feedback for her looks,therefore I do not believe she needs a stylist or complete fashion transformation. The fact that she has had repeated pictures of her skirt blowing up with the wind does not indicate bad outfit choices,it rather shows the current trend of "journalism" where only sensational news or scandals sell and paparazzis have little respect for the people they photograph. Everyone of us has had some wardrobe malfunctions and moments where we do not look perfect, but most of us do not get photographed as often as celebrities do and therefore our "fashion misses" or "Marylin moments" are quickly forgotten.
A few mistakes and misses can be avoided,but even if the Duchess of Cambridge hires a tailor or stylist, there will be some moments where photographers will be able to snap unfavourable pictures of her, no matter how much she tries to avoid it.

I guess that Catherine will get critisized no matter what she wears, just like any other Princess will always find someone who hates her fashion choices and some people who adore them.
Being one of the most-photographed and most-talked about royals at the moment, I guess she is aware of her image but she seems to stick to her own idea of beauty and her style did not change very much from the time she got married. Most of the time I like her outfit choices & she usually gets a lot of positive feedback for her looks,therefore I do not believe she needs a stylist or complete fashion transformation. The fact that she has had repeated pictures of her skirt blowing up with the wind does not indicate bad outfit choices,it rather shows the current trend of "journalism" where only sensational news or scandals sell and paparazzis have little respect for the people they photograph. Everyone of us has had some wardrobe malfunctions and moments where we do not look perfect, but most of us do not get photographed as often as celebrities do and therefore our "fashion misses" or "Marylin moments" are quickly forgotten.
A few mistakes and misses can be avoided,but even if the Duchess of Cambridge hires a tailor or stylist, there will be some moments where photographers will be able to snap unfavourable pictures of her, no matter how much she tries to avoid it.

I agree. Much depends upon the message that the media wants to portray. Need to sell a few more papers then find a picture of a non-smiling royal and push the "marital trouble" theme. If Victoria, Kate, or Charlene put their hand near their abdomen then expect the "baby" story to be out the next day.

I don't think Kate requires a stylist at all; if things had been different, she might have become a stylist for other people!

Besides, where s it written that everyone in the public eye must employ a stylist? You are just substituting another's taste for your own, and who's to say it will necessarily be better? Is everybody supposed to look like clones?

Utilizing a stylist doesn't necessarily mean you're substituting anyone else's taste for your own; I would think that any stylist worth his/her salt would be working with the subject's preferences, height, body type, coloring and the particularities of a functional wardrobe to which clothing would be geared. That doesn't necessarily mean clone princesses would be churned out, not if there's a good collaboration going on between the two to customize a wardrobe. I'll bet even a lady in waiting might serve the same purpose, but I don't think Kate has one.

Last edited:
Utilizing a stylist doesn't necessarily mean you're substituting anyone else's taste for your own; I would think that any stylist worth his/her salt would be working with the subject's preferences, height, body type, coloring and the particularities of a functional wardrobe to which clothing would be geared. That doesn't necessarily mean clone princesses would be churned out, not if there's a good collaboration going on between the two to customize a wardrobe. I'll bet even a lady in waiting might serve the same purpose, but I don't think Kate has one.

One of their assistants has been known to act as a "lady-in-waiting" for Kate occasionally but I have not seen her recently.

:previous: I don't think Kate needs to hire a stylist, her style is fine to me. I do think she needs to tweak some things with her wardrobe though. Since she's tall, some of the hemlines for her dresses/skirts look a little uneven, so I think employing a good tailor would do wonders for her.

I think all of us benefit from someone who will be honest about "our look." Most of us have a friend who will let us know what's working and what's not. The problem with being a celeb (and I am including royals - because they are famous for their fashion) is that people may tend to toady up and not be honest.

Stylists also can source fashion faster than their clients. Additional uses:

1. Making sure you are not copycatting (venues or other royals)
  2. Vetting couture for different cultural visits
  3. Knowing where to find bargains
Whether Catherine uses a stylist of a friend, honest help is an asset.

^^^Good bullet points, AdmirerUS. The objective and honest input is always key, too.

Last edited:
I think all of us benefit from someone who will be honest about "our look." Most of us have a friend who will let us know what's working and what's not. The problem with being a celeb (and I am including royals - because they are famous for their fashion) is that people may tend to toady up and not be honest.

Stylists also can source fashion faster than their clients. Additional uses:

1. Making sure you are not copycatting (venues or other royals)
  2. Vetting couture for different cultural visits
  3. Knowing where to find bargains
Whether Catherine uses a stylist of a friend, honest help is an asset.

I quite agree. Left to my own devices I'd be covered head to foot in all blue, all grey or all brown. So my partner always advises me and I'm always happy with the end result of contrast, colour and things that actually match.

I get the impression that generally Catherine chooses her own clothes most of the time and is quite careful by choosing mainly understated outfits.

I get the impression that generally Catherine chooses her own clothes most of the time and is quite careful by choosing mainly understated outfits.

I do too. She's definitely is not one to go in for bows, bangles and bling that most use to draw attention to themselves. I'd even go so far as to state the she is a minimalist with straight classic lines and no frills. She's also that way when it comes to her hair and her jewelry. A very "what you see is what you got" type of person in her wardrobe choices as well as in her personality.

For someone that couldn't give a hill of beans about being a clothes horse or a trendsetter, she's obviously doing a very good job of it. She could wear a burlap sack with a horse's feed bag turned into a hat and within hours, that sort of outfit would be viral. (and yes... its from an old episode of "I Love Lucy").

That's a nice casual outfit which IMO looks cosy and comfortable. I know this isn't related to fashion, but I'm glad we got to see photos of Catherine taking George out for a walk/stroll. I was waiting for these. :)

Solo Hosital Visit - Dec 6th.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/06/article-2519394-19E9394000000578-431_306x668.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/06/article-2519394-19E8C31300000578-498_306x668.jpg

Reiss £275 jacket, £225 wedge ankle boots by Russell and Bromley.

Grey, black and blue does not go.
It goes fine. They're all extremely neutral colors. But that's your opinion and it's fine.

The blazer is really smart and she looks like she feels great.

The grey jacket and blue pants at the hospital? Yikes.

I hate this outfit so much.

Like, it literally offends my eyes. Bad colours that don't match, bad silhouette, bad fit, bad textures, inappropriate for the occasion, and just ugly. I can't remember when I have reacted so negatively to something Kate wore.

At least her hair is nice and shiny.

Like, it literally offends my eyes. Bad colours that don't match, bad silhouette, bad fit, bad textures, inappropriate for the occasion, and just ugly. I can't remember when I have reacted so negatively to something Kate wore.

Not a hospital - a hospice

Don't like the jacket at all. It looks too big.

LaRae

Agree, it's just wrong in every way.

Interesting how different people react differently to things. I was horrified with her choices of clothing and hairstyle and cheap, nasty, trashy, necklace for the Mandela film, but I though her outfit for the visit to the children's hospice was just fine. I might not personally like her choices, but it was a very casual affair and I thought she seemed dressed appropriately. I don't see anything wrong with mixing grey and blue and black for casual wear. It was a comfortable outfit for her and enabled her to engage closely with the children. I was very impressed with the relaxed and confident way she conducted herself on this occasion. Duchess of Cambridge goes solo for tea party at children's hospice | Mail Online ]

She seems much more at ease and confident when she's on her own and not with William. I wonder why that is?

Last edited:
She seems much more at ease and confident when she's on her own and not with William. I wonder why that is?

First off, I think Catherine looked very nice on this visit. The outfit is appropriate, and allows her the room to be actively engaged with the kids, if she wants. As to why she's more at ease when on her own, it may be because she doesn't need to step back. It's just her. When she's with her husband, he takes the precedence, and she allows it (which is perfectly fine). In any case, just my thoughts of course.

In terms of the outfit for the park, as usual, Catherine rocks casual wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom