The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Thinking about it makes me very very glad I don't have gold fins and gills. You do make a good a valid point.

Reminds me of the pic that was snapped at the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics where the Bond Girl looked either very very bored or very very tired.

A snap in time seems to be defining.
There is that tried-and-true saying: A picture says a thousand words.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

It's unfair but it is life in that goldfish bowl.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Majesty

Last year Camilla, Sophie and Catherine shared smiles but it was Catherine that everyone picked on. I get the feeling that some folks just like picking on Catherine for some reason. I know the DM love doing it. She wasn't playing with her hair but brushing or pushing it back.

I thought she looked great at the Remembrance Service but I think it's a shame that some decided to pick on her and make that the story instead of focusing on what's really important.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Last year Camilla, Sophie and Catherine shared smiles but it was Catherine that everyone picked on. I get the feeling that some folks just like picking on Catherine for some reason. I know the DM love doing it. She wasn't playing with her hair but brushing or pushing it back.

I thought she looked great at the Remembrance Service but I think it's a shame that some decided to pick on her and make that the story instead of focusing on what's really important.
I agree 100% - I love that coat and the smiles and chat are always before the ceremony starts so that makes it doubly unfair and misleading.

But she is giving them ammo. That's what public life is like particularly in the UK.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I defend Kate a lot. I also held a job at a Director/VP level and knew that to EVER twirl my hair at work was to risk my career. I'm just saying.
Seriously?!?! How long ago was this and in what industry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I agree in general. BUT (always one of those) there are occasions where one has to be strong and not do it. Marriage vows; national event; representing your country; giving a presentation - serious stuff where you don't want to appeared distracted or bored. As someone said, who is a lot better at this stuff than me, it is (sadly) impressions that count. You may not be bored, but if you seem bored, that's enough. It may not be fair, but then what is?
Again, if this was a one-time thing, then I don't understand what the big deal is. She was just making her curl more "tidy." Seriously - unless she was doing this constantly, I simply don't see why we are still talking about this.

Off to go find a video...
Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I agree 100% - I love that coat and the smiles and chat are always before the ceremony starts so that makes it doubly unfair and misleading.

But she is giving them ammo. That's what public life is like particularly in the UK.
Except when it has to do with Charles or Camilla , and then you say they are just misunderstood. Every time the media criticises Charles, you are the first to say the media is just out to get him.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Except when it has to do with Charles or Camilla , and then you say they are just misunderstood. Every time the media criticises Charles, you are the first to say the media is just out to get him.
Am I?

Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

I totally agree.

I guess next year, Kate will just have to stand on the balcony and not laugh, talk or even exchange smiles with anyone. And she should make sure she doesn't touch her hair or her clothes. In fact, she probably shouldn't move at all. Otherwise, the DM will make a huge deal about it.

The cameras are able to capture every moment, so unless Kate stands completely still, they are bound to catch her readjusting her hair or smiling. There's really nothing she can do about it.

I really like the coat and hat, it looks good on her. I'm less impressed with her hair though. I'm not liking the ringlets.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I think wearing a low ponytail or bun would eradicate any tendency to fidget with her hair and bring unwarranted attention to it. Hair fiddling during a solemn event just doesn't give a good impression at all.
You read my mind. A low chignon swept to the side would have look so elegant with what she was wearing!

But then, the press would have gone crazy reporting about her new hairstyle, and the attention would still have been drawn away from the event itself.....
Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I totally agree.

I guess next year, Kate will just have to stand on the balcony and not laugh, talk or even exchange smiles with anyone. And she should make sure she doesn't touch her hair or her clothes. In fact, she probably shouldn't move at all. Otherwise, the DM will make a huge deal about it.

The cameras are able to capture every moment, so unless Kate stands completely still, they are bound to catch her readjusting her hair or smiling. There's really nothing she can do about it.
If she can pull off all of that, I look forward to the "Is there trouble in paradise? Duchess of Cambridge looks morose and lonely, and very separate from the royal family" article next year.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
All I can say about hair twirling and finger combing and head tossing to get the style is. Um.. its natural. If one would spend a gazillion dollars to have the hair made up "just right" and cemented into position with each and every strand 'just so", one would be a fool to even thing about even touching the hair and good gods, get a hair out of place. I'm willing to wager that Kate's hair is not her main priority in life. She wears it as its a part of her and not something that defines her. Men fidget with their ties at times. Women fidget with their hair.
I agree; touching your hair is natural. I know I do it several times in an hour when I need to gather my thoughts, or stay awake. In a way, it's almost like swimming; it grounds you. Now, sometimes what helps us stay focused is not always appropriate for public appearances, so it's our job to find another way to get this imput. Catherine's hair-touching on Sunday made me want to go 'Quiet hands please' (same can be applied to William's tie-fiddling'. I use this phrase a lot in my classroom, and it helps tremendously. I think that it would be nice if someone Catherine trusted would point the hair-playing out to her. Sometimes we need the feedback of an observer to encourage us to alter a particular mannerism.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
At the Queen's Jubilee Balcony appearance only 6 royals were there - HMQ, Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and Harry (DoE would have been there but was ill). That sent out the message at these were the key players for the future.

She may not be a full-time working royal but she is considered senior. The media are particularly hot on that point.
Quote:
She is a member of the senior hereditary line of the House of Windsor. She is not a senior full fledged working member of the British Royal Family as yet.
Thank you for the explanation.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
If she can pull off all of that, I look forward to the "Is there trouble in paradise? Duchess of Cambridge looks morose and lonely, and very separate from the royal family" article next year.
The DM will go find a pic of Diana looking sad in black on the balcony, have a side by side comparison with a pic of the Duchess under the headline "Shades of Diana: Kate is sad and lonely on balcony"
Old 11-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighnessN View Post

The DM will go find a pic of Diana looking sad in black on the balcony, have a side by side comparison with a pic of the Duchess under the headline "Shades of Diana: Kate is sad and lonely on balcony"
So true! You made me laugh!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Mark Stewart ‏@RegalEyes 3m
Kate's wearing the Orla Kiely outfit that she wore to the Art Room in Oxford in Feb 2012

That would be this one; http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...26_634x994.jpg
Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Mark Stewart ‏@RegalEyes 3m
Kate's wearing the Orla Kiely outfit that she wore to the Art Room in Oxford in Feb 2012

That would be this one; http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...26_634x994.jpg
November 19, 2013 -

Full view ** Close up
Old 11-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Pictures could have been taken on exactly the same day, there's no evolution with her clothes.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Pictures could have been taken on exactly the same day, there's no evolution with her clothes.
Do you mean the pictures I posted? They are from todays event.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Courtier

The dress is o.k I don't like the booties.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

It may be a repeat for us, but it's a first for William! :)

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton style, duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge style, duchess of cambridge's daytime fashion, fashion, kate middleton, kate middleton fashion, style