The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
IMHO the print of this cotton dress (which strikes me as remarkably overpriced) is not pretty, rather of the retro kitchen table cloth variety, while the strange head piece looks very odd with it.
The side curls left and right are quite unflattering and a wrong choice anyway as it was a given that she would wear a welcome wreath which would compete with the hair.
Along with shoes which I don’t care for, this is perhaps my least favourite look from the tour so far.

Full view:
http://s9.postimage.org/49cwg2vb3/Screenshot_1.jpg

Side view:
http://s8.postimage.org/buumjtput/Screenshot_2.jpg

Head piece:
http://s18.postimage.org/ro22h4i3d/Screenshot_1.jpg
I think the headpiece is meant to give a nod to the native woven raffia. It does that. It also looks a bit like someone got it wet and then sat on it on the flight over.
__________________

__________________
  #162  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
The strapless pink dress she wore to the official dinner tonight was actually a gift from the people of the Soloman Islands. Kate was intending to wear something else, but when she got to her room her hosts had laid the dress out on her bed. Apparently Kate tried it on, loved it, and decided to wear it to dinner, which was a lovely gesture.

I like the pink dress more than the one she arrived in and I'll bet it didn't cost £800!
__________________

__________________
  #163  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM
CanRoyal's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Coast, Canada
Posts: 251
I have read elsewhere that the hat might have been because of a visit to a church/cathedral that morning. If true, it provides a reasonable explanation of her wardrobe choices.
__________________
  #164  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
I have read elsewhere that the hat might have been because of a visit to a church/cathedral that morning. If true, it provides a reasonable explanation of her wardrobe choices.
You're probably right, CanRoyal. When you think about it, royal ladies always wear hats to church and William and Kate were attending a church service.

The hat kind of seemed like an afterthought, which it probably was given that she only wore it for a short time.
__________________
  #165  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,039
The duchess has been looking delightful in all of her outfits during this trip. She is obviously determined to not give anyone a reason for calling her a fashionista. She has chosen lovely outfits that makes her stand out yet not let the clothes define her. Lovely with a young women married into a royal house without becoming designer obsessed.
__________________
  #166  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Łódz, Poland
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I'm confused...what's so disgusting about her shoes?
I do not like it, everyone has a different taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The strapless pink dress she wore to the official dinner tonight was actually a gift from the people of the Soloman Islands. Kate was intending to wear something else, but when she got to her room her hosts had laid the dress out on her bed. Apparently Kate tried it on, loved it, and decided to wear it to dinner, which was a lovely gesture.

I like the pink dress more than the one she arrived in and I'll bet it didn't cost £800!
Nice gesture. I think that Prince William's shirt also is a gift. This dress is nice, but in my opinion she should tie her hair in a pony tail. I do not understand but Kate likes to massive wedges shoes. It is second pair after navy wedges. She has slender legs and this wedges look hard.
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/...id=54264&lid=0
__________________
  #167  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Oops, I'm thinking I should've posted about this outfit in the evening wear thread?

Could a Mod maybe move it over there if they feel it's more appropriate?
__________________
  #168  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,995
I love the strapless pink dress. It has a 'tropical island' feel to it and definitely goes with the atmosphere. The dress with the blue-green pattern has a nice retro touch, and coupled with the head piece reminds me of something from the 50s. Not bad. The pink? arrival dress looked quite nice too.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #169  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
IloveCP's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Palm Springs, United States
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
IMHO the print of this cotton dress (which strikes me as remarkably overpriced) is not pretty, rather of the retro kitchen table cloth variety, while the strange head piece looks very odd with it.
The side curls left and right are quite unflattering and a wrong choice anyway as it was a given that she would wear a welcome wreath which would compete with the hair.
Along with shoes which I don’t care for, this is perhaps my least favourite look from the tour so far.

Full view:
http://s9.postimage.org/49cwg2vb3/Screenshot_1.jpg

Side view:
http://s8.postimage.org/buumjtput/Screenshot_2.jpg

Head piece:
http://s18.postimage.org/ro22h4i3d/Screenshot_1.jpg
The print is horrible. I like the cut of the dress but the print is just awful. The hat and shoes don't go well with the dress even though I do like the shoes in general. This is got to be one of her worst looks. This and the white and gold dress are one of my least favorites of the tour so far.
__________________
  #170  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:53 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rapid River, United States
Posts: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar;.

She changed into a strapless summer dress for the reception. I really like this outfit.

[URL="http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/catherine-duchess-of-cambridge-and-prince-william-duke-of-news-photo/152071701"
Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge And Prince William Duke Of[/URL]
I love this dress- period.
I also loved the pink dress she wore to travel to the SI. Did not like the arrival dress.
__________________
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall- Nelson Mandela
  #171  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM
bertie5252003's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,574
The arrival outfit is horrible it is BORING but the little dress she wore in the evening and the wedges are cute for the occasion very beachy I like[but no love there].
But the check dress and the hat can go in the bin no respectable second hand shop would take them IMO
__________________
  #172  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:13 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I love this dress- period.
We all love the dress - because in the context of this visit - it was a perfect note to hit. To accept the gift and show it off was genius.

However, had the DOC chosen this dress, toted it over on on the plane and worn it, I would have a very different opinion. Garish colors, horizontal banding creating a shapeless mess, overly costumish, strapless and bloated, plebeian, cotton, of an odd length, more appropriate as a poolside coverup are all descriptors we might be writing had this been The Duchess' original choice.

This is a dress many of us might have purchased to wear on holiday. I'm not trying to insult native Solomon Island Dress - in fact, I like it. I like that Catherine wore it. But the CONTEXT of the choice makes all the difference in how we appraise it.
__________________
  #173  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
But the check dress and the hat can go in the bin no respectable second hand shop would take them IMO
You're clearly shopping in some seriously picky second hand shops.
__________________
  #174  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: somewhere, Aruba
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS

We all love the dress - because in the context of this visit - it was a perfect note to hit. To accept the gift and show it off was genius.

However, had the DOC chosen this dress, toted it over on on the plane and worn it, I would have a very different opinion. Garish colors, horizontal banding creating a shapeless mess, overly costumish, strapless and bloated, plebeian, cotton, of an odd length, more appropriate as a poolside coverup are all descriptors we might be writing had this been The Duchess' original choice.

This is a dress many of us might have purchased to wear on holiday. I'm not trying to insult native Solomon Island Dress - in fact, I like it. I like that Catherine wore it. But the CONTEXT of the choice makes all the difference in how we appraise it.
I disagree. Personally I loved this dress, this whole look before I even knew it was a gift. Its young and fresh and so cute.
__________________
  #175  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
We all love the dress - because in the context of this visit - it was a perfect note to hit. To accept the gift and show it off was genius.

However, had the DOC chosen this dress, toted it over on on the plane and worn it, I would have a very different opinion. Garish colors, horizontal banding creating a shapeless mess, overly costumish, strapless and bloated, plebeian, cotton, of an odd length, more appropriate as a poolside coverup are all descriptors we might be writing had this been The Duchess' original choice.

This is a dress many of us might have purchased to wear on holiday. I'm not trying to insult native Solomon Island Dress - in fact, I like it. I like that Catherine wore it. But the CONTEXT of the choice makes all the difference in how we appraise it.
I must admit I don't love the dress - largely because of the beach coverup feel to it. However, I don't hate it either and think it was a lovely gesture to wear the gift.
__________________
  #176  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach (CA), United States
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The strapless pink dress she wore to the official dinner tonight was actually a gift from the people of the Soloman Islands. Kate was intending to wear something else, but when she got to her room her hosts had laid the dress out on her bed. Apparently Kate tried it on, loved it, and decided to wear it to dinner, which was a lovely gesture.
How sweet. She looked great in it.
__________________
  #177  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,224
I loved the dress. It's so nice to see her in something so fun. I would definetly wear it on a holiday or something.
__________________
  #178  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Grandduchess24's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cambridge, United States
Posts: 1,318
I like the strapless dress she wore, well the outfit more than the green jonathan dress she arrived in.
__________________
" An ugly baby is a very nasty object, and the prettiest is frightful when undressed."
- Queen Victoria
  #179  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,148
I think that she wore the headpiece because she was going to a worship service. I wasn't sure whether I liked it at first, but it's quite pretty in close-up pictures. It's an older style and harkins back to the hats that were in style early in the Queen's reign. Perhaps it's a bit of a homage to HM.
__________________
  #180  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
IMHO the print of this cotton dress (which strikes me as remarkably overpriced) is not pretty, rather of the retro kitchen table cloth variety, while the strange head piece looks very odd with it.
The side curls left and right are quite unflattering and a wrong choice anyway as it was a given that she would wear a welcome wreath which would compete with the hair.
Along with shoes which I don’t care for, this is perhaps my least favourite look from the tour so far.

Full view:
http://s9.postimage.org/49cwg2vb3/Screenshot_1.jpg

Side view:
http://s8.postimage.org/buumjtput/Screenshot_2.jpg

Head piece:
http://s18.postimage.org/ro22h4i3d/Screenshot_1.jpg
Oh good lord, now that is an ugly dress. Can't imagine anyone looking at that and thinking, "you know what this looks nice". It kind of looks like a table cloth that would be used by stoners.
__________________

__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Closed Thread

Tags
daytime fashion, duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge's daytime fashion, fashion, kate, kate middleton, kate middleton fashion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zara Phillips' Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2004 - December 2012 zkarrer Archives 391 01-02-2013 05:24 AM
Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 6: July 2012 - November 2012 iceflower Archives 403 11-18-2012 03:40 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 2: November 2011 - February 2012 iceflower Archives 392 02-09-2012 07:23 AM
Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 14: November 2011 - January 2012 dazzling Archives 390 01-12-2012 02:40 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman picture of the month pieter van vollenhoven pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]