The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Serene Highness

I don't understand why HRH is the only member of the BRF to always get this kind of clothing 'audit' from the tabloids.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Courtier

^ According to Rebecca English they can't do that for the other members of the family because that information is not available

Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
I don't understand why HRH is the only member of the BRF to always get this kind of clothing 'audit' from the tabloids.
We knew it was coming -sigh, so predictable. They can't win.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl
Because she's the only royal who gets decent coverage.
Edward and Sophie have just been on a tour of Canada, but because it was at the same time as W&C's Far East tour, they got absolutely no mention in the British press. Camilla's clothes are hardly going to be press worthy are they?
If people make the information available, it's going to be talked about. Obviously.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Scutiny is given to all the ladies in the brightest spotlight. Crown Princesses Mary, Maxima and Letizia are all given heck for the amount they spend on clothes. IMO they spend what they need to do their jobs. If Catherine, Mary or any of the princesses repeated too many outfits people would complain and when they go for all new people complain. I say there's a cost to represent their respective monarchies. Again, I don't think that number is accurate. It's probably alot lower because the shoes are all repeatedly worn and their also private discounts for the clothes.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Because she's the only royal who gets decent coverage.
Edward and Sophie have just been on a tour of Canada, but because it was at the same time as W&C's Far East tour, they got absolutely no mention in the British press. Camilla's clothes are hardly going to be press worthy are they?
If people make the information available, it's going to be talked about. Obviously.
So right, Lumutqueen. I just did a Zimbio and Getty search for the Duchess of Gloucester. She and the Duke have been trouping around Helsinki on an official visit for the last several days. They do yeoman work for the crown, attending hundreds of events a year on behalf of the queen.

She is the real deal - married a (then) Prince, owns tiaras, is a working royal. The Duke and Duchess make official State Visits and also open a lot of parks and schools.

Now, go look at the pics of her on Zimbio and Getty. Not a snap from the Helsinki trip. And not to be critical, but with rare exception, the Duchess makes safe, serviceable fashion choices. Nothing that the DM would care to ID and tote up by costs in an article.

I'm glad I made myself go do the search. That Day 1 Ascot outfit the Duchess wore is a topper!

Getty Images - Search: duchess of gloucester

The Duchess of Gloucester Pictures, Photos & Images - Zimbio
Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unfortunately for the media, the Queen (and Camilla to an extent) gets her clothes made bespoke, which means they can't put prices on them. Kate is buying almost all her clothes off the rack so we can see how much it all costs. Unlike some other princesses, Kate doesn't just buy each season's entire Prada or Dior lines, nor does she have a conveyor belt of hugely expensive handbags and shoes. Kate's probably more economical than most princesses.

I'll bet the Queen's clothes bill is absolutely enormous, although she does recycle a lot.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Unfortunately for the media, the Queen (and Camilla to an extent) gets her clothes made bespoke, which means they can't put prices on them. Kate is buying almost all her clothes off the rack so we can see how much it all costs. Unlike some other princesses, Kate doesn't just buy each season's entire Prada or Dior lines, nor does she have a conveyor belt of hugely expensive handbags and shoes. Kate's probably more economical than most princesses.

I'll bet the Queen's clothes bill is absolutely enormous, although she does recycle a lot.
Some of those princesses' entire clothing budget is 30,000 a year so (even with Dior or Prada) I don't know which is getting better bang for their buck. My point was that all of these ladies spend what the need to do their jobs well. I wasn't making it a contest.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
My point was that all of these ladies spend what the need to do their jobs well.
I agree to an extent with this comment. You need to wear specific clothes as a royal to get noticed, it's the little detail. Like HM's lipstick or the way she has her hats turned up so her eyes can be seen. But clothes don't make the personality any different, if you can't warm to the person as a human, clothes make no difference.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Some of those princesses' entire clothing budget is 30,000 a year so (even with Dior or Prada) I don't know which is getting better bang for their buck. My point was that all of these ladies spend what the need to do their jobs well. I wasn't making it a contest.
I'm afraid I'm far from convinced by those numbers. The only way they're even remotely correct is if they're receiving a heck of a lot of 'freebies' or huge discounts (which would be pretty questionable behaviour). Either that or they're hiding costs in other budgets.

We know that Kate pays full price for her clothes, the designer Rachel Taylor said that she paid the RRP for everything she got from her.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
There is no way the others princesses has 30,000 budget for their outfits. It has to be way more than that, like add another zero to that figure. Unless they are getting freebies and loans like celebs do from designers their clothes budget is not 30,000. The only princess I would say has a budget around that figure is Letizia
Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

We know several of these princesses own Birkin and Hermes bags, for example, that can cost upwards of $60,000 alone. Given the regularity with which they're seen carrying round the latest Prada, Louis Vuitton etc. handbags, I'd guess that several of the crown princesses get through $30,000 a year on handbags and shoes alone.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
We know several of these princesses own Birkin and Hermes bags, for example, that can cost upwards of $60,000 alone. Given the regularity with which they're seen carrying round the latest Prada, Louis Vuitton etc. handbags, I'd guess that several of the crown princesses get through $30,000 a year on handbags and shoes alone.
perhaps the other countries are more open to accepting freebies....flying the flag of the local designers. I dont know - just a thought.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Back on topic please - Catherine's daytime fashion.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

September 2012 - Kate attending a wedding in a recycled Erdem dress.

Side view ** Close up
Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 AM
Commoner

I like this dress, I know many people don't, but I really like it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Serene Highness

I like it as well. Speaking as a guy, I like the Duchess' style and the clothes she wears. A welcomed and refreshing contrast from the ubiquitous bandage dress that is worn by so many z-listers.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've always hated the dress, it looks like something Camilla could pull off better. Catherine's never worn a hair accessory/hat that's made her look good in my book.

She looks happy though, and the dress fits her very well.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I like it as well. Speaking as a guy, I like the Duchess' style and the clothes she wears. A welcomed and refreshing contrast from the ubiquitous bandage dress that is worn by so many z-listers.
I agree wholeheartedly. IMO, I believe Catherine is in a somewhat difficult position as far as choosing her wardrobe. She's young yet she has certain rules and regulations to follow. So far, I've liked most everything she's worn. She's finding her way and doing a good job of it, IMO.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with Bensgal.
For the most part, Kate chooses her clothing carefully and well. I've never seen her look downright horrible (which can't be said for most of the other royal ladies).

As for cost, I feel she does very well, ofter wearing things repeatedly. I really don't see how she could spend much less than she does.
(Of course, designers would love to give her their best models for free, but that would turn her into a walking advertisement, so it's probably wise for her to insist on paying).

Tags
daytime fashion, duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge's daytime fashion, fashion, kate, kate middleton, kate middleton fashion