The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 10: September 2012 - December 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

Agree with you. Plus the skirt was too short. Okay, that's today's fashion but I wish Catherine would project a bit more glamour instead of girlie glitz. :flowers:

Good lord u sound like a bunch of school marms scolding a girl for daring to not wear her skirts below the knee.
I don't like the black stockings, like someone else said it looks strange on a grown woman, it especially clashes with the shoes. I think if a woman wants to wear black stockings they should be sheer.

Good lord u sound like a bunch of school marms scolding a girl for daring to not wear her skirts below the knee.
I don't like the black stockings, like someone else said it looks strange on a grown woman, it especially clashes with the shoes. I think if a woman wants to wear black stockings they should be sheer.

Really dislike the whole look, can't really abide black opaque tights on grown women. The skirt is too short also, imo.
Do love the jacket, it appears soft and cosy.
Her eyemakeup seems to have lightened up.

Re dark tights, they seem to be the rage in London the last 2 winters, and you see a very large number of office going women of all ages in them. Personally, I prefer sheer, but this seems to be on-trend here

The outfit's nice, suits her well. But it's not my taste, she looks so much older than 30.

She's wearing a dress by Reiss today.

Last edited:
Thats a lovely shade of burgundy and thats a lovely cut of the suit but unfortunately its ways too short IMO.

It is only three inches above the knee.

As for the tights, people made fun of her before for wearing nude tights and now they don't like the opaque ones either! Is she supposed to go bare-legged in winter?

I think the opaque are a great choice; she is most likely trying to silence the critics who will say her skirt is too short!

Count me into the miss-camp, too. Lovely colour but the skirt is far too short. A lace shirt underneath???
Thick black stockings - ick!
I dont think anyone denies that Kate has beautiful hear but the way is worn is just terrible. Hiding behind a wall of hair.

Hang on, is it just me who sees a difference between stockings and tights?

The UK is freezing at the moment, beautiful sunshine though. Tights are a must!

Green Reiss coat with her standard black boats for today's outing. It's still cold so I don't mind the coat look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re dark tights, they seem to be the rage in London the last 2 winters, and you see a very large number of office going women of all ages in them. Personally, I prefer sheer, but this seems to be on-trend here

haha somewhat strange...if its sheer then its often like: ehhh stockings..soo granny..and if its opaque its oh noo... why that!!??
haha no worry i´m exagarating...but agree seems trendy right now...and considering weather she might be well of wearing tights

nothing wrong for me.
...just my cup o tea..

thank you

I love the colour worn to the Middle Temple yesterday - its a nice rich colour for autumn. The jacket is nice and i like the shorter lenght but i dont like the skirt - the flare or the lenght on Kate. I think the style of the jacket would have suited a straight fitting skirt.

Today at FA headquaters
William and Kate join England football team to open FA's new £100m centre (and Wills is on hand to explain the offside rule) | Mail Online
Nice winter coat on Kate - would love to see what the pattern dress or skirt is underneath

Hang on, is it just me who sees a difference between stockings and tights?

The UK is freezing at the moment, beautiful sunshine though. Tights are a must!
Lumutqueen said:
Green Reiss coat with her standard black boats for today's outing. It's still cold so I don't mind the coat look.

Absolutely spot on comments. Kate has grasped the fact that she cannot ever, while on an engagement, complain about being too cold... or too warm.... or her feet hurt (might be the reason she wears certain shoes often...they're comfortable).

It's practically a must that she dress for comfort first, fashion second.

Last edited:
I like the coat, its elegant and fits nicely.
I would've liked to see her hair in a ponytail so you can have a nice view of the side detailing. The belt needs to go, its too old, too shiny for her.

Oh no, black tights again! If her legs are cold, she could wear lined wool pants, or a longer coat.
Agree about the belt:previous:

I like the coat a lot. Is it green or gray though? I can't tell.

I think the problem with the black tights yesterday was the shoes with which she wore them (and yes, the length of the skirt). IMO court shoes (pumps, here in the US) look better with sheer hosiery; better to save the opaque tights for boots, even shooties....which is why I think she looks absolutely appropriate today with the longer coat, boots & tights.

I will throw in my two cents on her hair since I'm here: I think she needs to go back to her natural darker brown color; the highlights have gotten a little much for me. I can't say that it looks unhealthy, just a little too light especially in winter.

I like the black tights and I like the coat. She looks good.

Oh no, black tights again! If her legs are cold, she could wear lined wool pants, or a longer coat.
Agree about the belt:previous:

IMO, pants would not have been suitable (too informal) for an indoor official opening of new state-of-the-art facility - which encompasses 12 pitches, 2 hotels, sport medicine facilities and a football centre.

Love the coat and especially the belt, the colour and texture are a lovely addition to the coat.

I didn't come on this thread yesterday as I just assumed the usual fuddy duddies would be complaining about the length of Kate's skirt. I will say, however, that I had an appointment at the biggest hospital here yesterday and one of the young female doctors was wearing a skirt really similar to Kate's from yesterday. She also wore it with thick black tights and black shoes. I remember thinking it was really lovely so was a bit surprised to see Kate wear much the same thing.

Wearing thick tights with skirts in the colder months is pretty ubiquitous in the UK. If, as Kate clearly does, you prefer to wear dresses and skirts then tights come in really handy when the temperature's on the cool side as it has been over the last few days.

Love the coat and especially the belt, the colour and texture are a lovely addition to the coat.

I didn't come on this thread yesterday as I just assumed the usual fuddy duddies would be complaining about the length of Kate's skirt...

Wearing thick tights with skirts...

Re: the Middle Chamber visit, I rechecked all the pics I could find and every female pictured in the snaps was wearing black hosiery or tights. I don't know if it is a dress code - or just a strong tendency - but the Duchess gets points from me if she researched this ahead of time and chose black for that reason.

As to the shortish burgundy skirt, we know she likes to recycle and this was a suit she had worn last Christmas. It was a suit that I would have chosen as a 28 year old - with a fun, kicky skirt in a nice color of wool. That said, it could not be recycled at an event where she had to bend over and talk to little people, dogs, folks in wheelchairs, etc. So this was a prefect time to recycle it - no crowds, just a stable visit in chambers. I thought it was a good choice for opportunity. The Duchess really dies seem to think these things out ahead of time. :)

Tights generally have had a huge resurgence in recent years. Black tights were part of the winter school uniform at my school and many other schools as we had to wear skirts, whatever the weather.

Wearing tights (often in loud colours or with funky patterns) with skirts and often boots is really, really common in the UK. The tights mean you can get more wear out of your skirts in the colder months.

P.S - I mean 'common' in the sense that one sees it regularly, not in the 'plebeian' sense ;).

I've read the comments about the tights ......I know from reading others experiences that black opaque tights are not acceptable in the USA or some other places ... You are supposed to wear sheer all year or bare tanned legs all year round . Well . This is Britain and if we want to wear opaques all year round we will. Otherwise it's too cold !!!!!!!!!! Personally I like to wear opaques in the winter as they last longer than sheer so saves me money and it is winter for about 9 months of the year so in spring or autumn I will wear sheer and if it ever gets hot enough in summer I'll take them off . Seeing as Kate is British and she lives in Britain she can follow the British tights rule to her hearts content knowing that no British woman will pull her up on it . So there !

windsorgirl said:
I think the problem with the black tights yesterday was the shoes with which she wore them (and yes, the length of the skirt). IMO court shoes (pumps, here in the US) look better with sheer hosiery; better to save the opaque tights for boots, even shooties....which is why I think she looks absolutely appropriate today with the longer coat, boots & tights.

I will throw in my two cents on her hair since I'm here: I think she needs to go back to her natural darker brown color; the highlights have gotten a little much for me. I can't say that it looks unhealthy, just a little too light especially in winter.

So in winter she has to have her hair dark but not her tights. Eh ?

CanRoyal said:
IMO, pants would not have been suitable (too informal) for an indoor official opening of new state-of-the-art facility - which encompasses 12 pitches, 2 hotels, sport medicine facilities and a football centre.

And if she runs around in her pants she may get arrested . Her trousers would be fine though .

Just in case anyone not British is confused ... The black tights aren't wooly ones . They are 40 or 60 denier ones . So when you talking about thick tights they not that thick ....

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is so predictable. It is always the same one who don"t like what Catherine wears and the same ones who defend her. For me I keep wondering how you would look, if you had to be "on" all the time. My wardrobe wouldn"t pass muster and I'll bet yours wouldn"t either.

That's funny, so what should blondes do in winter? Change the hair colour to darker?

Her hair is certainly not unhealthy; it shines and has a great look to it. Where and what do you see what is unhealthy?

As to her looking more mature, isn't she already criticized she looks older than her age? How much more mature you want her to look?

Also, I cannot help but asking: where do you see messed up hair? It basically sits straight with the curls at the bottom, nothing sticks out.

Cinderella5x Just compare to the CP Mary haircut or Mette-Marit's hair. I think you will find the difference.
( Kate's hair looks change under the influence of moisture, her hair are more curly - you can see this during a trip by canoe/boat on to the islands of Solomon, and when rain fell there).
I know that she just has this type of hair, but I think it should just change the hairstyle, tie her hair in a ponytail or bun.

It's my opinion and you can have a different opinion... ;)

Last edited:
Cinderella5x Just compare to the CP Mary haircut or Mette-Marit's hair. I think you will find the difference.
( Kate's hair looks change under the influence of moisture, her hair are more curly - you can see this during a trip by canoe/boat on to the islands of Solomon, and when rain fell there).
I know that she just has this type of hair, but I think it should just change the hairstyle, tie her hair in a ponytail or bun.

It's my opinion and you can have a different opinion... ;)

I know I can have a different opinion. We all can. I was simply asking questions on points you made and which points I still don't get.

Of curse I will find the difference, I bet anyone will. Their hair is completely different than Kate's, I don't understand your point here... It will never be the same, even with the same cut style.

All you wrote above didn't really explain how Kate's hair is unhealthy though... Yes, she has curls. So curls are unhealthy? Also, do you say that curls are messy? Sorry, but I still don't get it...

At last, you said different hairstyle would make her more mature, then you mention ponytail. Really, ponytail wouldn't make her more mature. Less, if anything. Ponytails are not mature.

This thread is so predictable. It is always the same one who don"t like what Catherine wears and the same ones who defend her. For me I keep wondering how you would look, if you had to be "on" all the time. My wardrobe wouldn"t pass muster and I'll bet yours would"t either.
My wardrobe wouldn't pass muster either but then I don't have Catherine's budget and am assuming you do not either.

Catherine is a public figure when she is "on duty" and, if we are to believe what has been printed (and in this case common sense dictates we should) she has had a large injection of cash to bring her wardrobe up to working standard.

I personally did not like the black tights and black shoes . . . it just looked odd, whereas her coat, tights and boots looked perfect. To those feeling the cold, common sense dictates warmer clothing and is perfectly understandable. However, I don't think temperature had much to do with the black tights and shoes teamed with a somewhat short skirt.

I like her. Kate seems very down to earth, beautiful , genuine smile.

I like today's choice. Catherine looks comfortable and warm, not to mention appropriste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom