The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2011 - June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel bad for her. One day they are waving the flag about how brilliant she is for shopping at normal stores and the next putting her down because the dress was made by someone making 99p/hour.

The unfortunate truth is that all clothing available at high street shops is likely made in conditions similar to those at the factory in Romania. Until we are all ready to give up fast fashion, pay more and own fewer garments this will continue to be the case.

As for Catherine, she is lucky enough to be in the position where she can afford to have things made for her. Not something most of us can do, that's for sure.

:previous: Why? Because she is who she is. Like it or not, deserved or not, she has become a fashion "icon" (how I hate that word) and a fashion nexus. What she wears everyone else wants to wear and she has to consider the ramifications of that knowledge coupled with the new knowledge that some of her beloved labels are not "Fair Trade".

Life is not fair and, to be honest, we should all be thanking God that it is not. Just imagine if you really deserved all the horrible things that happened in your life. Catherine is merely required to scratch a few labels from her wish list.

However, should she already have them in her wardrobe pre-wedding she will get a pass, if they are this season's collection she will not.

Such is life!

Non of the other CPss get's bad press for wearing labels no matter where they produce...

^^^ None do but someone has to at one point and it looks it's going to Catherine. Poor girl- damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. Hopefully the papers won't make such a big deal of where her outfits are coming from in the future. But anything to sell a paper

The (female) author has written quiet a few catty articles about Catherine, sometimes with a second author...

Catherine is merely required to scratch a few labels from her wish list.

However, should she already have them in her wardrobe pre-wedding she will get a pass, if they are this season's collection she will not.

Such is life!

By whom is she "required" to do this? And who has the authority to "give her a pass"?
It's not just "a few labels" of clothing who are using sweatshops. Most of the objects people in the western world use every day are made by underpaid workers in a poorer country. I agree that it's unfair, but the ones who should work on changing this are politicians, not royals who shouldn't be involved in politics.

I don't believe for a moment that this writer was concerned about underpaid Romanian workers. I think she was just desperate to find something nagative about Catherine.

The choices Catherine has are as follows (feel free to add!): -

1) Have her clothes made "in-house" using ethically sourced materials
2) Start wearing fairtrade clothes, which presently do not offer the choices and kinds of outfits she will be required and/or expected to wear in a person of her position
3) Where expensive, designer haute couture items that cost a fortune and will render her a clothes-horse with people accusing her of spending too much money
4) Go naked
5) Wear whatever she damn well likes and accept that if the media were really worried about how much people are paid to make the clothes we all wear, the media would have done something about it long ago.

I like the last suggestion the best. Heck, it's what I would do if I were in her position.

Jacknch said:
The choices Catherine has are as follows (feel free to add!): -

1) Have her clothes made "in-house" using ethically sourced materials
2) Start wearing fairtrade clothes, which presently do not offer the choices and kinds of outfits she will be required and/or expected to wear in a person of her position
3) Where expensive, designer haute couture items that cost a fortune and will render her a clothes-horse with people accusing her of spending too much money
4) Go naked
5) Wear whatever she damn well likes and accept that if the media were really worried about how much people are paid to make the clothes we all wear, the media would have done something about it long ago.

Agree number 5 best- but 4 certainly would sell some papers and cause a stir ;) !

Agree number 5 best- but 4 certainly would sell some papers and cause a stir ;) !

Not only that, but I don't think her husband would be too keen on that particular option (well, at least not in public :innocent: ).

So if Kate should not wear less brands anymore because of the wages the people behind the making get paid, I guess we should also and we should all move to more expensive clothes. It does not take one person to make a difference especially when it comes to spending, more than half the world can afford designer labels. Yes wages are low and it's sad but the amount they are getting could be quite well off for the people in other parts of the world. Im sorry, but I just don't see the point at all whether she wears less or expensive labels because when she does spend over 2,000 on an outfit, the press would be writing things about her and when she wears less labels one day they love it and the other they're complaining.

I know this subject is going off track abit, but maybe someone here from Romania or who knows could advise on the cost of living in that country as it could be far less than it is say in the UK. Clothes makers should be paid a decent living wage with acceptable working terms and conditions. The situation is similar to other businesses outsourcing, like financial services to Eastern Europe and India etc - it's cheaper to produce but the consumer pays the same so we're all being ripped off!!

I do like the idea that Kate chooses certain brands like Reiss because they produce a much limited amount of the dress and hold the principal that even if demand grows they will stick to their purchasing rules of that limited amount. I am quite sure we will see the dress again, maybe when she's in Canada and the US and it will be accompanied by a matching hat!

I think a lot of people in this world on in Kate's "shoes" right now. A lot of us shop at bargain spots because we can't afford to pay for the big names. It is not her fault that Reiss has sweat shops, it is the company's fault for wanting to make more of a profit. That is after all why sweat shops exist. So the companies can produce a cheap product for the customer and reap a huge profit for themselves.

As for the dress, I thought it didn't look like it fit properly at the top. I also thought the accessories were off. Then again with a better tailor, shoes and a purse and I will like the dress on her.

Now if she could just stop playing with that hair.....

I know this subject is going off track abit, but maybe someone here from Romania or who knows could advise on the cost of living in that country as it could be far less than it is say in the UK. Clothes makers should be paid a decent living wage with acceptable working terms and conditions. The situation is similar to other businesses outsourcing, like financial services to Eastern Europe and India etc - it's cheaper to produce but the consumer pays the same so we're all being ripped off!!

I do like the idea that Kate chooses certain brands like Reiss because they produce a much limited amount of the dress and hold the principal that even if demand grows they will stick to their purchasing rules of that limited amount. I am quite sure we will see the dress again, maybe when she's in Canada and the US and it will be accompanied by a matching hat!

I think the point really is that what may appear to be a "sweat shop" to us living comfortably in the West may just an average factory in the developing world, providing employment and wages to thousands of people. Cost structures differ, as to living standards. There is a simple reason most clothing sold in the West is produced in places like China, India and Eastern Europe - it is more cost effective to do so. If companies like Reiss, French Connection, Gap, M&S, John Lewis and Next stop sourcing clothing from these countries, a lot of the local people will loose their livelihoods and theri standards of living will drop further. This is just a silly article by somebody who has not thought these issues through and trying to use Catherine to push their own agendas.

Posts on suggesting what the Duchess of Cambridge could wear in the upcoming events has been moved to the
Fashion Suggestions for the Duchess of Cambridge
Thread

To be sincere,I don't like this outfit on Kate,it makes her shoulders looking large and legs very thin,she should have chosen a different colour for better look

I am not feeling the outfit as well. Too much white, doesn't look like its a matching set. The shoes are nice (they remind of Beatrice and Eugenie's recent shoes). Not enough color IMO.

I think Kate looks lovely with that hat & hair pulled all back and up. The outfit, not so pretty, the skirt and jacket are of different shades and when it comes to white, I always think if they are the same shade it would look good. The skirt is a bit fun to be worn with such a classic/old ladies jacket. Shoes is a lovely color with the overall look.

Try these links
http://img148.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=96103_115216506_122_14lo.jpg
http://img102.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=96104_115216281_122_440lo.jpg

dazzling said:
I think Kate looks lovely with that hat & hair pulled all back and up. The outfit, not so pretty, the skirt and jacket are of different shades and when it comes to white, I always think if they are the same shade it would look good. The skirt is a bit fun to be worn with such a classic/old ladies jacket. Shoes is a lovely color with the overall look.

Try these links
http://img148.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=96103_115216506_122_14lo.jpg
http://img102.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=96104_115216281_122_440lo.jpg

Thank you :)
I agree the whites are 2 shades and I like the skirt but the jacket just doesn't seem to go- love the shoes though but overall not a fan of this look-

Liking her hair her a lot though- she looks older, more mature, with her hair back, I think

I do think the jacket could fit better (it looks a little too big), but other than that I really like this look. Kate usually wears dark colors, so it's nice to see her in something light.

Last edited:
I am not feeling the outfit as well. Too much white, doesn't look like its a matching set. The shoes are nice (they remind of Beatrice and Eugenie's recent shoes). Not enough color IMO.

Not just Beatrice and Eugenie, also Sophie,Countess of Wessex have same shoes :)
I think everyone in BRF and in other RF have those shoes ;)

But IMO they are neutral and I like, perfectly fitting with every combination ;) :flowers:

I love Kate's look. Neutral tones, but not too matchy. The same toned hat and shoes set it off. The off-whites of the jacket and skirt are really sleek. The short jacket gives her the appearance of longer legs. The skirt is really cute and flirty. Overall, I think the outfit makes her look both young and fun, but also reserved and refined. A tough combo to pull off. She looks fabulous.

Did anyone notice her hair color is different or is it just me?
I like the white of outfit most because of the tan.

Last edited:
Over all look is nice, the hat has got to go. :bang:

I love the whole look. The outfit is not all white, the hat is brown and the shoes are beige. The skirt is lovely and very summerly, the jacket fits perfectly with the fabric of the skirt. She is tanned so the white is absoluty perfect. The jacket is not old at all for me.

Not crazy about this outfit I like the idea of it but maybe it is the colour BUT her hair is out of her face and it is quite cute with the bun to the side. Shoes are nothing special and the bag is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom