The Countess of Wessex's Fashion and Style, Part 6: January 2014 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am probably the only person who liked Sophie's feather collar. It's different and I like things that are different and not "normal."

Me too! In the wrong thread (not fashion) I made the comment that the BOA harkens back to 1500s starched ruffs AND that it seems to be made of the same feathers that adorn the Garter hats. From that POV - it makes sense. Not my favorite look, but I think it was a thought filled choice.

Me too! In the wrong thread (not fashion) I made the comment that the BOA harkens back to 1500s starched ruffs AND that it seems to be made of the same feathers that adorn the Garter hats. From that POV - it makes sense. Not my favorite look, but I think it was a thought filled choice.

Interesting. Even without that, I like it. :flowers:

I wasn't a fan of this dress as it's such an odd length and the material is odd. I will say, however, that it makes Sophie looks very trim. Loved her hat and beautiful hairstyle.

She was Clare Balding's Best Dressed today.

I wasn't a fan of this dress as it's such an odd length and the material is odd. I will say, however, that it makes Sophie looks very trim. Loved her hat and beautiful hairstyle.

She was Clare Balding's Best Dressed today.

I agree about the length. No. :ermm:

I like it, but not as much as yesterday.

Roseroyal I much prefer today's look! The dress was a nice shape and white is a hard colour to wear but Sophie did well. Her hat was amazing and something I hope we see again.

I doubt we'll see Sophie again at Ascot as she and Edward normally only attend a couple of times. She may go tomorrow but it's unlikely.

Isn't that interesting? You prefer the white outfit, and I prefer the blue.
Opinions are what make the world go around.
I don't dislike the outfit, I just don't like it as much as I did the blue. Make sense?
And I didn't like the hat at all.

The Countess of Wessex's Fashion and Style, Part 6: January 2014 -

I'm so torn on the hat, which is disconcerting because I'm normally into dramatic hats. I can't quite put my finger on what's bugging me.

I so love this outfit today, perfect, with her diamond brooch and earrings. She looks very fashionable and elegant today. Love that hat, oh that is one beautiful hat, wow, want that hat for my collection.

I did not like the blue outfit, it looked to long on her, something about it was off. And not the hat either.......

The white dress, even though it doesn't fit through the bust, looks lovely. She carries off the longer length because of the full skirt, the hat is just perfect, large but not too. The blue outfit, hat and dress, is wrong for her on so many counts I don't have room to note them. Quickly, the slim skirt and length, wrong on a short woman, color, neckline, texture of fabric..

The white dress, even though it doesn't fit through the bust, looks lovely. She carries off the longer length because of the full skirt, the hat is just perfect, large but not too. The blue outfit, hat and dress, is wrong for her on so many counts I don't have room to note them. Quickly, the slim skirt and length, wrong on a short woman, color, neckline, texture of fabric..

It looks okay from a distance but I saw that, too - and would include the waist in that observation. It's another long dress. I don't think it's a length that flatters her entirely. Minor points - it's okay.

I like large hats but this one not so much, I agree with others - probably because it's so tilted (at such a sharp angle) with that rose. It's a design that when done well is thrilling - not this time (for me). Maybe it's the flower - not a pretty little thing as it is. Still, as always (but I am biased) Sophie looked lovely. :flowers:

Last edited:
Very 50's very pretty love the hat and though I am not a fan of all white I think it looks really lovely on Sophie in this setting and hope she doesn't wear it elsewhere IMO a dress for the races

:previous: Yes indeed, this certainly is a dress for the races. Sophie looks wonderful, from her fantastic hat to her 1950's styled dress and her shoes picking up the creamy caramel from her hat. As for her jewellery . . . mmmm, perfection.

So for me it 2 tor2 at Ascot for Sophie. :flowers:

I'm not feeling the dress don't like the length, and if that little crimp in the front of the hat hadn't been there would have liked the hat.

:previous: I would say navy, judging by the 1st picture

I love her Ladies Day hat choice. It's so big, epic and so Sophie. The dress is nice but the colour is an odd choice. The dress also has pockets, which is an odd thing. They were perhaps added at Sophie's request.

The ensemble is quite lovely. The colour is unexpectedly dark though. I liked the hat.

I wasn't a huge fan of Day One's outfit. I'm not so sure about the material, although the colour is nice. Day Two's outfit is great. Sophie looked elegant and her hat was just right. Today's outfit was nice and elegant too, although there's something about it that's not quite right, and I can't put my finger on it. The dress reminds me of Edwardian women's dresses.

It looks too big on her...it swallows her. Love the style and color..but it doesn't fit her right.

LaRae

Yesterday's white and today's black were brave choices from Sophie. That's why I like Sophie - she isn't afraid to go a bit mad with her colour and hat choices. Today's hat was beautiful. I am bit disappointed Edward wasn't there as it was their anniversary. Would have been nice to see them together. Maybe he was busy getting the house ready for a World Cup party!

I don't like the length on this one either, the hat is nice.

Yes, what is she doing with this kind of length on all these dresses? Starting a trend? I liked the collar and the material of the dress - not the skirt or length. Someone mentioned the 1950's and I agree - this is all very retro.

Loved the hat - this one is a winner imo.

Yesterday's white and today's black were brave choices from Sophie. That's why I like Sophie - she isn't afraid to go a bit mad with her colour and hat choices. Today's hat was beautiful. I am bit disappointed Edward wasn't there as it was their anniversary. Would have been nice to see them together. Maybe he was busy getting the house ready for a World Cup party!

Just so - would have been nice to see them together on such a day.

Last edited:
I thought the blue dress on Day 3 worked very well. Still a bit undecided about the length for a day event, bit the rest of the dress worked very well, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom