The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Nobility

Sophie Countess Of Wessex Attends The Annual

I love the expression on the boy in the background.

Actually, I like the hat. It looks like a lot of fun and she is gorgeous

Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the color of the outfit but I'm not sure how I feel about the hat.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

The Countess of Wessex at the Commonwealth Day Observance service at Westminster Abbey in London
today, March 12, 2012. Wearing a nice coat and dress combination with a big hat, that reminds me of a hen

** Full view ** Upper part ** Hat 1 ** Hat 2 **
Ooooh-la-la! Very chic - and just lurve the hat! Fabulous hat! Great hat! Very intriguing design. I like it tons.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 AM
Royal Highness

Well, I must say, Sophie has become such a chic and exciting dresser! The whole ensemble is wonderful! I do like the hat, especially the feather's standing up (which remind me of the hair accessory that Carrie Bradshaw wore at her wedding to Big!), but I do wonder how many birds there are at Bagshot missing tail-feathers!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I love the hat! This is a proper show to me just like a hat should be!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I actually think that Sophie looked lovely. The hat was also very nice, but I do not think it was appropriate for the event. I think a hat like that would be lovely for Ascot, for a garden party, a wedding, or perhaps Trooping, but, IMO, not for church. Perhaps I am just being too traditional. What you see from HM and Camilla are "working hats" as opposed to the wonderful "fun" hat that Sophie wore. Anybody concur?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I think her choice of hat was quite appropriate myself. It is a signature design for the Countess and it's size lends well to her stature. The feathered appliqué is charming and the appearance when worn is both stylish and relatively unfussy.

And dare I make mention that the Abbey has played host to an array of particularly unusual hats over the years. In comparison, Sophie's is really quite tame

Camilla looks lovely in this almost beautyberry coloured ensemble. Charming.

I really do not like the Queen in pink. I don't think it suits her all that well.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Countess looks really beautiful. Gorgeous outfit and I like the hat. Nice to see her wear her wedding earrings. Where is the necklace, I don't think Ive seen her wear it since. Was I the only one that liked it?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Embarrassing hat agree that it is not a working wardrobe hat
Old 03-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't quite understand what is meant by a 'working wardrobe hat', exactly.

There is nothing unconventional about the hat for the environment in which she wore it, nor does it hinder her ability make pleasantries and shake hands. It's not to everyone's likeing, and fair enough, but how it could not be considered a 'working hat' is interesting. I state as such because even when the Countess attends Royal Ascot, she is but one, in a handful of team players, who are out and about promoting the brand of monarchy. Thus, she is arguably working be it even by leisurely participation. Her presence alone, as with all members of the royal family, dictates spectacle and her appearance is fashioned accordingly to the expectation and untold demand of society.

Mission accomplished.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really liked the hat with the feathers!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I actually think that Sophie looked lovely. The hat was also very nice, but I do not think it was appropriate for the event. I think a hat like that would be lovely for Ascot, for a garden party, a wedding, or perhaps Trooping, but, IMO, not for church. Perhaps I am just being too traditional. What you see from HM and Camilla are "working hats" as opposed to the wonderful "fun" hat that Sophie wore. Anybody concur?
I understand what you are saying, and I concur, although I must say I also think that what kind of hat Sophie wears is not important/prevents her from doing an outstanding job.
And I still don't like yesterday's hat.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Royal Highness

Fashionwise, Sophie has become so much more interesting to follow in later years, in my opinion - and she only seems to grow prettier as the years go by.
It is as if she has grown into her role and radiates self-assuredness (in the good way) during the last couple of years and it is reflected in her wardrobe. She is one of the most interesting royals to follow with regard to hats - and this one is another great example of her interesting hat collection.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Couldn't agree more.
Sophie has certainly grown into her position; she appears to get more elegant and graceful as years go by.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is the Royal Order of Satorial Splendor's take on yesterday's hat:( scroll down)
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Random Royal Appreciation: Windsor Shenanigans, Continued
Hits the nail on the head does it not?
Priceless!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Fashionwise, Sophie has become so much more interesting to follow in later years, in my opinion - and she only seems to grow prettier as the years go by.
It is as if she has grown into her role and radiates self-assuredness (in the good way) during the last couple of years and it is reflected in her wardrobe. She is one of the most interesting royals to follow with regard to hats - and this one is another great example of her interesting hat collection.
√√√
I agree with you
Sophie rocks
Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Nobility

I am sure I am dating myself, and Sophie looked lovely, although the hat seemed a bit, well satellite dishish and too askew - but has it become the norm to wear such a decollete dress during the daytime for an official royal appearance with senior members of the family conducted in a church?
An evening function seems more appropriate for that neckline, IMO.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie is definitely an intrepid hat wearer and isn't afraid to experiment with different designs, and I enjoy many of her styles, but I still didn't like the feathered satellite dish of yesterday.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like that Sophie isn't afraid to wear a hat that will attract attention, negative or positive, as it shows she really enjoys wearing them. I wish I could attend events where it was appropriate to wear outlandish hats, I would relish in it! Sophie has gotten so much more beautiful with age and motherhood. Over the years she has grown into herself more, become more self-assured and has obviously generated self-esteem from somewhere, which is brilliant for her. She looks brilliant over 2010/2011 period, and perhaps it is because of the arrival of Catherine, but who cares? If that is what it took for Sophie to realise she's hot then thank goodness!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I am sure I am dating myself, and Sophie looked lovely, although the hat seemed a bit, well satellite dishish and too askew - but has it become the norm to wear such a decollete dress during the daytime for an official royal appearance with senior members of the family conducted in a church?
An evening function seems more appropriate for that neckline, IMO.
I agree with you about the neckline. My first thought was the neckline is too low for a church service. It would work for a garden party or Ascot during the day but not in church and certainly not in the Abbey.

The first pictures I saw of her hat, the lighting wasn't very good. It looked like a black and white pyramid on her head!! All I could think was "what in heaven's name has she got on her head!" Seeing the hat in better lighting was actually a relief.

Tags
sophie countess of wessex