Sofia Hellqvist's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2014 - February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that is some shot of Madeline with cleavage!
Deportment to me means overall physical behavior, standing, sitting, smiling, not grinning or guffawing...
What are the earrings?

Not a fan of this dress. To me it looked like a cheap 80's prom dress. But I think the color and hairstyle looked great on her, just wish there weren't so much sequins and satin. I also like the fact it covered that awful looking, huge tattoo that's between her shoulder blades. Gosh I could only imagine what that would've looked like at a Nobel Prize Ceremony.

The vivid colour and sequins on the dress do not help Sofia's cause to appear like a princess in the waiting - she looks tacky in that dress. You can tell that there has been an additional sequin embishment on the back to cover up her tattoo.
The one thing she did manage to pull off was a neat and elegant hairstyle.
Im hoping for an improvement tonight - something that doesnt screem look at me im finally here

I am confused about the tulle on the skirt. To me it looks like the skirt is inside out that should be the petti-coat to poof the skirt. It was something that was common in the 50's and early 60's. I remember a party type dress my grandmother bought me that had net under the skirt. I think I was about five. I don't remember what the dress looked like but I remember that net - boy did it itch!

The vivid colour and sequins on the dress do not help Sofia's cause to appear like a princess in the waiting - she looks tacky in that dress. You can tell that there has been an additional sequin embishment on the back to cover up her tattoo.
The one thing she did manage to pull off was a neat and elegant hairstyle.
Im hoping for an improvement tonight - something that doesnt screem look at me im finally here

I think that extra blob of sequins draws attentions to the tattoo rather than disguises it, and I think that extra blob is what makes the sequins so overwhelming. That blob does not seem to belong there and its purpose is obvious. I think it would have been better to just leave the tattoo alone. Or cover it with the sort of masking makeup that people with large birthmarks wear when they want to cover them up. That makeup or whatever it's called doesn't seem to rub off easily.

Or she could just leave the tattoo as it is. She's been photographed in evening gowns that reveal it before. Perhaps she could stick diamantes on it and make it a feature. Everyone knows she's got it. If she's not going to have it removed, just live with it.

I am confused about the tulle on the skirt. To me it looks like the skirt is inside out that should be the petti-coat to poof the skirt. It was something that was common in the 50's and early 60's. I remember a party type dress my grandmother bought me that had net under the skirt. I think I was about five. I don't remember what the dress looked like but I remember that net - boy did it itch!

I think my objection to the tulle could be age-related, too. I remember those net underskirts from my childhood and I don't think of tulle as something to wear on the outside. There are so many beautiful, soft, fabrics she could have chosen that I think are preferable to tulle.

Last edited:
Wow that is some shot of Madeline with cleavage!
Deportment to me means overall physical behavior, standing, sitting, smiling, not grinning or guffawing.

Well, then, perhaps SH does not fall within the parameters.

This dress was an odd choice from Sofia, she has had quite modest and approprate dresses at the royal events so far and now she pulls out this dress which reminds an iceskater's dress.

I just have to say, as the President the local USFSA figure skating club and the mother of a 12 year old serious skater...no..it does not look like a skater's dress. Most skating ladies are teenagers, and would NEVER have a dress showing all of one's...let's just say...female attributes either at practice or a competition. Please feel free to show me serious skaters showing all their top the way that SH does.

^That is skater daughter above. No unfortunate wardrobe issues^

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:Do you think that this dress would be more of a pageant/beauty contest dress? I am just trying to put it in the right category...

The last word on cleavage...

From DeBrett's section on what constitutes white tie/formal war for ladies:

Full-length, formal evening dress. It is traditional, but not essential, to show decolletage.

In other words, if you got 'em, show 'em.

The dress on Thursday was again a disaster, way too much cleavage. Why she wants now the whole time remind people of her past? The Nobel fests are the most prestige events of the whole year. The dress could have been a good choice to some other event, but definitely not for a Nobel dinner. One of the dresses she wore at Gustaf Magnuson's wedding or at the queen's 70th birthday would have been a right choice also now. The lighter parts at her hair look really unattractive. And the jewellery drowns to her hair. A necklace would have been a better choice for Thursday's jewellery, since she had a hair jewellery already on Wednesday.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

I may be oldfashioned but I don't like how the dress points to her strategic places... back view. It makes a very cheap impression.
http://s02.imageupper.com/1/6/N14183753911556542_5.jpg

Last edited:
I like the second dress and definitely prefer it to the first sequinned one. I don't think she is showing an inappropriate amount of cleavage.

For God's sake, she's not trying to remember anyone of her past, differently from a lot of people, she seems to be able to live in the present.

She has dressed properly both yesterday and on wednesday.

Beautiful elegant beige dress on Thursday, quite an improvement from the night before. Her hairdo is quite interesting and flattering

okay ida sjöstedts dress worn by Sofia was not a favorite of mine

here is a dress made by Ida Sofia would have looked great in
http://idasjostedt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/AW14_POSSESION_DRESS.jpg

maybe this one but its not everysbodys cup of tea
http://idasjostedt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/AW14_ANNA_JACKET_SILENCE_SKIRT.jpg

princess madeleine has worn idas dresses also
http://idasjostedt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/AW14_DEFENCE_TOP_OCCASION_SKIRT.jpg

i think this is a wedding dress from ida sjöstedt
http://idasjostedt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/idasjostedt_ss14_21.jpg

The pink is a mess and the dreaded tatoo!! but for the mos part I thought she looked fine the standard princess gown in the deep red nothing special but this is not for her!!IMO

This dress is much better! I really love it the only complaint is that horrible tattoo. It's not even something artistic or pretty. I personally have nothing against tattoos because some people treat them as real artwork. But there's nothing nice or artistic about this. It's just ugly and frankly distracting.

Thursday's dress is lovely, although reminiscent of a nightgown. Wednesday's dress was a better color for Sofia, IMO. She looked fine both evenings. I hadn't seen the offending tattoo before, and REALLY, what's the fuss about?

I thought she looked lovely and her hair was fabulous!!!!
IMHO there are some who would not be satisfied no matter how Sofia dressed.

He hair was fabulous at both Events.
The Nobel Dress wasn´t that bad for me, maybe a bit too much glitter, but I somehow liked it - especially when looking at the "full view". And a BIG BONUS on not showing the Tattoo.......!
The second Dress was super super chic - also the hairdo with the ??? haircomb????, bit a bad Point was the backside which choweed the tatoo and which simply runins the complete look.

Aaaah, why is she not lasering away this horrid Tattoo.....
Bye Bine

I very much like Sofia's dress on Thursday night - it's elegant and has some lovely detail. A light colour goes well with her dark hair. With regards to the tattoo, although I am not too keen on it, it is in nice central location which looks better than being off-centre or half way up her arm.

I could giv a pass to the dress but the unfortunate patterns don't help IMO... Anyway, better that the cheap, tacky purple one...

Beautiful elegant beige dress on Thursday, quite an improvement from the night before. Her hairdo is quite interesting and flattering
I liked both the dress and the hair much better on this second night. In fact I loved her figure which was shown off beautifully and, as already said, Sofia has a generous bust and this gown worked perfectly for her.

But her hair was my favourite, that and the look of barely restrained excitement and the glances shared with CP. Love is grand.

I thought she looked lovely and her hair was fabulous!!!!
IMHO there are some who would not be satisfied no matter how Sofia dressed.
Unfortunately you are absolutely correct. Many examples of ample royal cleavage have been shown, not least the Queen herself and yet the whole "tacky, tasteless, etc. just keeps coming. I loved the neckline of this second gown and her hair complimented it beautifully. I thought she was a credit to both her (adoring) fiance and her new family to be.

I very much like Sofia's dress on Thursday night - it's elegant and has some lovely detail. A light colour goes well with her dark hair. With regards to the tattoo, although I am not too keen on it, it is in nice central location which looks better than being off-centre or half way up her arm.
You are right. The fact the tattoo is centred seems to make it sort of "just there" and not a prominent nor ugly feature.

As I said before, the dress from the first Nobel gala isn't so bad. It's got quite a lot of sequins going on over the bodice and that may not be to everyone's taste but I don't mind them. It has an 80s vibe to it but it's not hideous and I can easily imagine Victoria or Madeleine in something like this. In fact, Madeleine wore a top that was similarly embellished earlier this year.
My point is, Sofia is going to have her share of misses just like her future sisters-in-law and other royal women so we might as well get used to it.

Last edited:
As I said before, the dress from the first Nobel gala isn't so bad. It's got quite a lot of sequins going on over the bodice and that may not be to everyone's taste but I don't mind them. It has an 80s vibe to it but it's not hideous and I can easily imagine Victoria or Madeleine is something like this. In fact, Madeleine wore a top that was similarly embellished earlier this year.
My point is, Sofia is going to have her share of misses just like her future sisters-in-law and other royal women so we might as well get used to it.

A-freakin'-men!

I like this picture of Sofia. She looks quite lovely here. Very pretty. :flowers:

I may be oldfashioned but I don't like how the dress points to her strategic places... back view. It makes a very cheap impression.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

I see your point, LadyFinn. :flowers: I understand your perspective on this and agree. But I also think it's a very nice dress. In fact, I'd be keen on owning this one. ;) Why would I wear it? For my husband. That's the truth - and it could be why Sofia wore it - for Carl Philip. Just a thought.

Does anybody know who designed her second dress? I feel like I have seen it but cannot figure out the designer.

I really like the Thursday night gown. Very attractive. There's nothing at all wrong with it that I can see, and it's not at all cheap or inappropriate in any way, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom