Sofia Hellqvist's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2014 - February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An updo always looks better with a little height at the top. Much more flattering than the gelled, wet look, flat to the head style she likes. That tends to accentuate her forehead.

The dress is okay, I like the colour. The best part is the hair which is very Silvia! I wonder if Sofia was granted use of the royal hairdresser.
Both Victoria and Madeleine are sporting similar up-dos at the event.
I was thinking the same that the royal household had something to do with her hairstyle tonight.

I love the colour of Sofia's gown, and I think the cleavage is fine - the sheer fabric that formed the upper part of the front and back secured everything so there was no chance of a malfunction, as well as providing the opportunity to camouflage the tattoo. I do not, however, like tulle, nor do I like all the spangles, so I am a bit prejudiced against it. It is not what I would call a "classy" look. A bit of spangle is fine, but I think there was too much and the particular spangle was a bit cheap looking, especially with the tulle.

I would have reduced the spangles, perhaps limiting them to the shoulder and a small amount on the bodice, using them as features only. Instead of the spangles on the back I would have used flesh coloured fabric to line the back which would have cleverly covered the tattoo, and she shoulder decoration would have disguised the join.

ETA I just called my husband in to have a look at the pics. FWIW, he thinks the dress is just fine, not at all trashy.

Last edited:
Lots of comments about inappropriate cleavage and sequins.

Well lots of women present today had sparkles and sequins - that's because they wore evening gowns. And also lots of women flashed cleavage, including the Queen (cant find any criticism of her)

http://imageshack.com/a/img903/8615/g0UjZ8.jpg

If its ok for the Queen, what is wrong with anyone else?

So I have to say that some of these comments are incredibly unfair to a woman who is finding her way into royal life.

:previous:
Queen Silvia's cleavage looked very awkward. The sapphire necklace did not make the ensemble look better.
As for Ms Hellqvist, her ensemble is so so. Perhaps she will do better next time.

Last edited:

Well lots of women present today had sparkles and sequins - that's because they wore evening gowns. And also lots of women flashed cleavage, including the Queen (cant find any criticism of her)

So I have to say that some of these comments are incredibly unfair to a woman who is finding her way into royal life.

I think it's okay for the Queen and any other woman who is not Sofia Hellqvist.

I loved the dress, she was looking wonderful.

Yikes! Queen Silvia! Nooooooo! :eek: Hand me the brain bleach!

If the Queen is prepared to show that much of herself at her age, no-one should be criticising Sofia's choices.

The expression in Mutton dressed as Lamb. Well, perhaps she's showing solidarity with SH by showing off all her assets. At least with the Queen, there is the reasonable expectation that a low decolletage was to showcase jewels set in platinum, not in victoria's secret!

The queen often shows cleavage, old cleavage as my cousin puts it and gets away with it. Some women just have more in that department as does Sofia. I love the color of Sofia dress, mad the fit. There are a few too many sequins for me, but her hair, makeup and deportment make up for a lot. I recall a lot of ruffles and froufrou froufrou and cleavage from srf members!

Aren't you glad she covered up the tattoo or is that a no win either way in your eyes? I don't think the dress looks cheap, it's a ballgown and all the women were wearing ballgown-type frocks. An American prom dress might not be to your taste, but there are about 150 million of us who like or liked our prom dresses.

However, her best accessory is the Prince...

Am I crazy that I actually like the style of the dress...just not this color and this particular event. And I wager anything that it is not cheap.

But guess what folks...the last pic of Sofia and C-P says it all really. Love sometimes is the best fashion accessory.
Well said ladies. I agree, her gown did not look cheap at all. And her accessory . . you said it! And if this doesn't warm your hearts, then best give Christmas a miss.

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/3904/EtWkew.jpgI concur.

An updo always looks better with a little height at the top. Much more flattering than the gelled, wet look, flat to the head style she likes. That tends to accentuate her forehead.
You put your finger right on the spot. Her hair at the back is amazing but I don't think she is comfortable with pulling all her hair back from her face nor giving it a little height. Perhaps next year?

The queen often shows cleavage, old cleavage as my cousin puts it and gets away with it. Some women just have more in that department as does Sofia. I love the color of Sofia dress, mad the fit. There are a few too many sequins for me, but her hair, makeup and deportment make up for a lot. I recall a lot of ruffles and froufrou froufrou and cleavage from srf members!
You are right, her hair makeup and deportment were very good. And yes, both Silvia and Sofia are what used to be called "well endowed". That's a fact and we just have to deal with it. Now me? I was made for wearing seat belts, but my three older sisters . . . were not.

You are right, her hair, makeup and deportment were very good.

You sure? ;) I am playing a bit. :flowers: You can say so of her hair and make-up because that is a subjective call based on objective evidence. But deportment? I don't think any of us can make a definitive call on that one from still photographs. JMO. However, there is enough in the stills to suggest that Sofia is (always) going to be an interesting spectator sport. :cool:

Madeleine had her share of cleavage years ago and got crucified for it. Maybe it has to do with age.
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-10861-This-is-Princess-Madeleine-of-V8dg.jpeg

Sofia Hellqvist's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2014 -

Well she could have not shown cleavage for her first time attending the Nobel Prize, she should've known that everyone would be watching her and are ready to judge her.
It's not a crime to make a Good first impression.

Posts that discussed breasts only, have been removed. This is a fashion thread. And as always: please treat those you wish to disuss with respect - thank you!

You sure? ;) I am playing a bit. :flowers: You can say so of her hair and make-up because that is a subjective call based on objective evidence. But deportment? I don't think any of us can make a definitive call on that one from still photographs. JMO. However, there is enough in the stills to suggest that Sofia is (always) going to be an interesting spectator sport. :cool:

I looked up "deportment' and discovered it means different things to British and North Americans.

So, from the British:

The way a person stands and walks, particularly as an element of etiquette.

"poise is directly concerned with good deportment"

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=d...7.4339j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

As to making a definitive call on deportment, I think there is enough video of she at different times since the engagement was announced, to see that she carries herself very well and does not slouch when either moving around or standing. Or even seated, as we saw from the photos of her at the Nobel's.
Well she could have not shown cleavage for her first time attending the Nobel Prize, she should've known that everyone would be watching her and are ready to judge her.
It's not a crime to make a Good first impression.
I am sure her gown was as well vetted as her hair and jewellery, but really it would seem she is in a totally no win situation with some here.

Last edited:
This dress was an odd choice from Sofia, she has had quite modest and approprate dresses at the royal events so far and now she pulls out this dress which reminds an iceskater's dress. Both Madeleine and Victoria have worn Ida Sjöstedt's dresses, but her dresses aren't Nobel class, not at least now. If Sofia wanted to have an Ida Sjöstedt dress, she could have chosen this.
http://idasjostedt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/AW14_POSSESION_DRESS.jpg

This dress was an odd choice from Sofia, she has had quite modest and approprate dresses at the royal events so far and now she pulls out this dress which reminds an iceskater's dress. Both Madeleine and Victoria have worn Ida Sjöstedt's dresses, but her dresses aren't Nobel class, not at least now. If Sofia wanted to have an Ida Sjöstedt dress, she could have chosen this.
http://idasjostedt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/AW14_POSSESION_DRESS.jpg

i agree, that dress is a lot more sophisticated and appropriate for this sort of event. although the colour she chose, purple, would suit her a lot better than blue, i think.

Yikes! Queen Silvia! Nooooooo! :eek: Hand me the brain bleach!

If the Queen is prepared to show that much of herself at her age, no-one should be criticising Sofia's choices.

i agree, now i feel the need to drop my comment on her cleavage seeing silvia did the same.. ;)

Am I crazy that I actually like the style of the dress...just not this color and this particular event. And I wager anything that it is not cheap.

i think at times things don't have to be cheap to look cheap. you can get some incredibly expensive stuff that looks very cheap. that's how the saying of "money doesn't buy taste" comes from...

Her makeup and hair look really nice. She looked quite good in general tbh. However the dress indeed looks cheaply-made. It's just poor choice of fabrics I guess. About the cleavage thing, IDK, Queen Silvia was the same but I do feel that Sofia should have been more careful about this stuff because after all, this was her first Nobel events and first impression is rather important.

Hopefully she will get better next year.

Ok, after I looked at it for the first time in the Live Coverage, I thought OMG, another Madeleine cleavage drama.
But: the more I look at it now (especially full views pictures) the more I like it.
Great hairdo with brooch, great that she managed to hide the Tattoo, good colour. Maybe A bit too much glitter, but ok.
BYe Bine

No matter what she would have put on, she would have been put down by those who doesn't like her, both here and in the media.

The clevage issue: Most of the pictures from the award ceremony were taken with a birds eye perspective. That makes all clevages more visible. If you look at the pictures from the dinner, it's a different story (aka no story at all).

Ice skater warning? Yes, a little. But sequins and glitter have been worn on Nobel before. Remember Victoria in 2011 with the blue dress? Or 2012 in the green sparkly dress?

So all in all: not her best look, but far from the disaster that some think it is.

No matter what she would have put on, she would have been put down by those who doesn't like her, both here and in the media.

The clevage issue: Most of the pictures from the award ceremony were taken with a birds eye perspective. That makes all clevages more visible. If you look at the pictures from the dinner, it's a different story (aka no story at all).

Ice skater warning? Yes, a little. But sequins and glitter have been worn on Nobel before. Remember Victoria in 2011 with the blue dress? Or 2012 in the green sparkly dress?

So all in all: not her best look, but far from the disaster that some think it is.

From the dinner
http://media.shootitlive.com/5fFz207hM3dAvRXUuYDx5A8w4Qm/1200.jpg?project_id=scanpix/42

There is nothing wrong of wearing sequins and glitter. The way they were put to this dress made it look cheap.
http://media.shootitlive.com/1TaH64eObjSpUh5f3OGCqeV16BT/1200.jpg?project_id=scanpix/42

I hope Sofia recycles a gown this evening. She has got some nice ones, which would be a safe choice.

From the dinner
http://media.shootitlive.com/5fFz207hM3dAvRXUuYDx5A8w4Qm/1200.jpg?project_id=scanpix/42

There is nothing wrong of wearing sequins and glitter. The way they were put to this dress made it look cheap.
http://media.shootitlive.com/1TaH64eObjSpUh5f3OGCqeV16BT/1200.jpg?project_id=scanpix/42

I hope Sofia recycles a gown this evening. She has got some nice ones, which would be a safe choice.

And is that clevage bigger than Queens, this particular evening? Don't think so. I'm also not surprised that you think Sofias dress looks cheap. And yes, you have the right to your opinion. My point is that a dress (and the whole appearence) should be based on what it objectivly looks like, not what you think about the person wearing it. And yes, I do think that lots of posters and media should have loved the dress if Victoria had worn it.

I like how Sofia coiffed her hair... The dress is not bad per se but she should avoid cleavages... It seems she can't help it...

:previous:I do have to agree with Lady Finn, this gown is tacky and cheap looking. Money or the cost of a gown does not make for good taste or class. This girl is marrying into a royal family and I would of thought she would have had more sense to be very careful with her choice of clothing as she was going to be on public display for the first time at this event since being engaged. This dress says *Hey look at me* *I have arrived*, this event is not about her, it is about all the men and women that have worked extremely hard to get where they are at and have been honored, as it should be. SH just because she is marrying a prince does not make her royal nor knowing all the ins and outs of the world she is going into, She needs to know that she is now on display at all times and should dress accordingly, showing her cleavage was totally inappropriate, it is the choice of fabrics and those ugly sequins that make this dress look cheap. She once had on a beautiful dark navy gown that was slim, now that would have shown her in a much better light then this, that was probably the best she has looked in a gown for any formal event.

I just hope she learns to step back and be out of the spotlight which she so loves, always wanting to be in the spot light shows that you have many insecurities for that light makes up for all that is missing in her life.

As for QS, I did not like her gown at all, as I don't like embroidery on clothes,, not my taste, as for the top being to low, yes it was and yet she wore a huge part of the jewelry set of sapphires and maybe that wasn't taken into consideration at the time.

Both Victoria and Madeleine looked great, loved both of their gowns, very becoming and loved Victoria in her red ball gown, now that is a princess style if ever there was one.

Sofia has been learning how to improve herself. She is not grinning anymore. I am impressed. I did not like her dress, too much going on, not very elegant/chic but not a disaster.

(..)

As for the dress, I also believe that with the coordination of the jewellery she was wearing in that traditional SRF Nobel unwritten 'Dress Code' style of jewellery and hair, screamed that both Silvia and Victoria, at the very least, knew what she would be wearing.

More than that, I am sure that the entire SRF, including KG and CP, knew full well that this was Sofia's actual "official" debut (or should we say 'trial by fire'). with the SRF. It is such a big deal that I cannot believe that not one of them were involved in some way. It's just too unrealistic to believe that they weren't because frankly, too much was riding on this particular evening.

The one curiousity I have is the earrings and brooch. Does anyone know where they came from? Because to me, they look to have been "provided" specifically to compliment that specific colour of gown and hairstyle. So, were they a loan or a gift?

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant find fault with the cleavage - For me that is ok; but I miss class in that dress - and she has allready shown, that she knows what a good dress looks like. So I'm disapointed. Over the times the ladys of the Sweden Royal Family have worn a many bad dresses - but also many stunning ones. So no - I also would not have liked it on Victoria or Madleine

I think Sofia looked quite lovely, with a beautiful hairstyle and from the back, the gown looked very elegant. I think the type of embroidery made the gown look a little sort of "costume" like - so just plain lace without the sequins or some delicate sequin embroidery without the lace might have been better. Nonetheless, it was an important event for her to attend for the first time and she didn't look too bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom