The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Let's leave Sofia's past out of this thread. That can be discussed here.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Aristocracy

Hair is great, best she's ever looked. The dress, as many have said, looks cheap to me. Too much glitzy frou frou. But she'll learn.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Courtier

personally, I think that the "style" of the dress us ok, its just the glitter/sparkle sequins used on the dress that makes it look cheap. some other sequins should have been used. And as another poster said, it almost looks as if the dress was altered to make sure her tattoo was covered. Over all, the dress wore her instead of her wearing the dress. Her hair and makeup looked very nice, so all was not lost. I think it actually saved her whole look from being tacky.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

I like the color, the hair (including that brooche) and the skirt of the dress (AMAZING skirt) but the top part is just horrible. It's cheap, it's just not okay, it's wrong, it's to glittering (that is what makes it look so cheap), and you see just a little bit to much of her skin.

I think she's trying to get on the right track at the moment. I love that she covered her tattoo.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
LAS VEGAS!!! I don't like this dress at all, agree with Lady Finn that it looks cheap.
http://media.shootitlive.com/WWBMUXb..._id=scanpix/42
http://media.shootitlive.com/OwOSR0s..._id=scanpix/42

The back part looks modified to cover the tattoo
http://media.shootitlive.com/Oyq5Vk2..._id=scanpix/42
i agree that the dress looks a tad cheap with all that glitter, and the cleavage is inappropriate. i wish someone gave her a hand at choosing more appropriate wear. silvia, victoria and madeleine are in general elegant dressers and need to give her a hand, specially for this sort of very formal events.

in any case, i now have no doubts carl philip must be very in love if he continues to like sofia even when wearing such an odd choice of dress. these two seem madly in love. :)

however, her hair looked rather lovely today.

i didn't know she had a tattoo, i am glad someone at least told her to cover it with the dress.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

The dress is fine, but it's inappropriate for this kind of event.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Am I crazy that I actually like the style of the dress...just not this color and this particular event. And I wager anything that it is not cheap.

But guess what folks...the last pic of Sofia and C-P says it all really. Love sometimes is the best fashion accessory.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I usually don't make any posts regarding Sofia, because I don't approve of her past activities, but I had to make an exception.
Love this dress- the color and the sparkle!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Aren't you glad she covered up the tattoo or is that a no win either way in your eyes? I don't think the dress looks cheap, it's a ballgown and all the women were wearing ballgown-type frocks. An American prom dress might not be to your taste, but there are about 150 million of us who like or liked our prom dresses.

However, her best accessory is the Prince...
I am VERY glad she covered the tattoo! Now if she would just cover more of her cleavage. Compared to Victoria, who, while wearing a strapless dress managed not to show the room her breasts!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The dress is okay, I like the colour. The best part is the hair which is very Silvia! I wonder if Sofia was granted use of the royal hairdresser.
Both Victoria and Madeleine are sporting similar up-dos at the event.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

An updo always looks better with a little height at the top. Much more flattering than the gelled, wet look, flat to the head style she likes. That tends to accentuate her forehead.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
The dress is okay, I like the colour. The best part is the hair which is very Silvia! I wonder if Sofia was granted use of the royal hairdresser.
Both Victoria and Madeleine are sporting similar up-dos at the event.
I was thinking the same that the royal household had something to do with her hairstyle tonight.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the colour of Sofia's gown, and I think the cleavage is fine - the sheer fabric that formed the upper part of the front and back secured everything so there was no chance of a malfunction, as well as providing the opportunity to camouflage the tattoo. I do not, however, like tulle, nor do I like all the spangles, so I am a bit prejudiced against it. It is not what I would call a "classy" look. A bit of spangle is fine, but I think there was too much and the particular spangle was a bit cheap looking, especially with the tulle.

I would have reduced the spangles, perhaps limiting them to the shoulder and a small amount on the bodice, using them as features only. Instead of the spangles on the back I would have used flesh coloured fabric to line the back which would have cleverly covered the tattoo, and she shoulder decoration would have disguised the join.

ETA I just called my husband in to have a look at the pics. FWIW, he thinks the dress is just fine, not at all trashy.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Lots of comments about inappropriate cleavage and sequins.

Well lots of women present today had sparkles and sequins - that's because they wore evening gowns. And also lots of women flashed cleavage, including the Queen (cant find any criticism of her)

http://imageshack.com/a/img903/8615/g0UjZ8.jpg

If its ok for the Queen, what is wrong with anyone else?

So I have to say that some of these comments are incredibly unfair to a woman who is finding her way into royal life.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Majesty

Queen Silvia's cleavage looked very awkward. The sapphire necklace did not make the ensemble look better.
As for Ms Hellqvist, her ensemble is so so. Perhaps she will do better next time.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Lots of comments about inappropriate cleavage and sequins.

Well lots of women present today had sparkles and sequins - that's because they wore evening gowns. And also lots of women flashed cleavage, including the Queen (cant find any criticism of her)

http://imageshack.com/a/img903/8615/g0UjZ8.jpg

If its ok for the Queen, what is wrong with anyone else?

So I have to say that some of these comments are incredibly unfair to a woman who is finding her way into royal life.
I think it's okay for the Queen and any other woman who is not Sofia Hellqvist.

I loved the dress, she was looking wonderful.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Yikes! Queen Silvia! Nooooooo! Hand me the brain bleach!

If the Queen is prepared to show that much of herself at her age, no-one should be criticising Sofia's choices.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

The expression in Mutton dressed as Lamb. Well, perhaps she's showing solidarity with SH by showing off all her assets. At least with the Queen, there is the reasonable expectation that a low decolletage was to showcase jewels set in platinum, not in victoria's secret!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

The queen often shows cleavage, old cleavage as my cousin puts it and gets away with it. Some women just have more in that department as does Sofia. I love the color of Sofia dress, mad the fit. There are a few too many sequins for me, but her hair, makeup and deportment make up for a lot. I recall a lot of ruffles and froufrou froufrou and cleavage from srf members!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The dress looks cheap, and too much Las Vegas for a very festive Nobel event.

I second that

Queen Mathilde
Closed Thread

Tags
fashion, sofia hellqvist, sofia hellqvist daytime fashion, sofia hellqvist eveningwear, sofia hellqvist fashion, sofia hellqvist style, swedish royal family