Sofia Hellqvist's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2014 - February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like the first dress - too many sequins, lace, and tulle for me. It looked too much like a costume which is a shame as Sofia does have a lovely figure. I much prefer the understated second dress which was more fitting to the occasion.

On both occasions I have loved her hair and make-up which is a great start - at the moment it is like Sofia is 'playing at dressing like a princess' which is to be expected but give her a bit of time and she will find her own style which is also appropriate to the occasion.

I think the shape of her second dress is good. Love the colour as well but that pattern ruined everything.

As I said before, the dress from the first Nobel gala isn't so bad. It's got quite a lot of sequins going on over the bodice and that may not be to everyone's taste but I don't mind them. It has an 80s vibe to it but it's not hideous and I can easily imagine Victoria or Madeleine in something like this. In fact, Madeleine wore a top that was similarly embellished earlier this year.
My point is, Sofia is going to have her share of misses just like her future sisters-in-law and other royal women so we might as well get used to it.

I agree. This dress from Sofia wasn't that bad for me either, and I actually quite liked it and she looked nice in it. I love the colour. Whilst I understand why some think that Sofia's dress is cheap, I don't think it's that tacky. At least it covers up her tattoo. ;) Her hair is wonderful and elegant here too. It will be interesting to see what they will do with her wedding dress on the tattoo front. I would prefer to see it altered to 'hide' her tattoo, like they did with this dress.

However, I'm not as keen on Sofia's latest dress. I love the colour, but am not a fan of the pattern - plus her tattoo is showing. She could've worn a cardigan or shawl to cover it up. There have been other royals in the past and present who have tattoos (the twentieth century British Kings used to get tattoos when they visited Israel and CP Frederik has a shark tattoo on his ankle from the Danish Navy), though they have had them in more discreet places. To be fair, Sofia isn't royal yet and has never been a royal, and when she got the tattoo I guess she didn't think she would become a member of the SRF. Most people of Sofia and Carl Philip's age group have tattoos nowadays anyway - when I went to Ibiza in July I felt a bit out of place because it seemed that everyone apart from me had a tattoo!

Last edited:
I think the shape of her second dress is good. Love the colour as well but that pattern ruined everything.
Ha, I thought I was a reasonably observant person and yet I had to go back and look at the dress to see the pattern. A very interesting design, I can't say that I dislike it as I think it is rather subtle and only "shows up" under the concentrated flash of a camera.

:previous: I think you have a good point about the photography but also it is important to remember a photo is taken in a milisecond and when I saw her walking in that gown (on video) I really couldn't see any specific pattern but rather an amazing movement throughout the gown. Sofia has wonderful deportment and carries herself very well. The gown looked amazing in motion.

Second noble dress is an improvement on the first. But you can see her tattoo emmm saying no more than that

I feel the Nobel dress was a pretty color but had too much 80's influence, I hate 80's fashion the most and I hate that it seems to be making a come back. Other than the 80's flare I thought she looked good; out of the young ladies she looked better than Madeline but not as good as Victoria.

Sofia Hellqvist's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2014 -

I think both dresses are very pretty. She has a gorgeous figure and looks lovely in the white dress. Just wish the tattoo was not so prominent with a backless dress and her hair up. Definately not to my taste, but it's part of who she is and it's 2014, not 1914.

I think she is doing great. What a job to pull off. Have your own style. Be ladylike and approved by everyone.....and lets face it. She has the best part of it down. A gorgeous Prince in love with her!!!

As I said before, the dress from the first Nobel gala isn't so bad. It's got quite a lot of sequins going on over the bodice and that may not be to everyone's taste but I don't mind them. It has an 80s vibe to it but it's not hideous and I can easily imagine Victoria or Madeleine in something like this. In fact, Madeleine wore a top that was similarly embellished earlier this year.
My point is, Sofia is going to have her share of misses just like her future sisters-in-law and other royal women so we might as well get used to it.

A-freakin'-men!
Yikes, I had forgotten that erm, top . . . and bottom . . . erm, mistake?

But this gown, worn to the Annual Gala of the Royal Swedish Academy, I thought looked quite stylish. Both her hair and makeup looked lovely:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YfIzhDkTU94/VJXUZlGdcrI/AAAAAAACRDo/D4a4NH1XhdI/s1600/965@70-2.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lmH_JXdQj0Y/VJXUcosuuKI/AAAAAAACREM/pvcvi_5UhaQ/s1600/bild2.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YdeLtdJsmaQ/VJXUZczPHtI/AAAAAAACRDg/_b8I0TyNtj4/s1600/965@70-3.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bYcnuojjhWo/VJXUbUot9KI/AAAAAAACRD8/Tr6FlE3gig0/s1600/965@70-5.jpg

Sofia's dress at the formal gathering of the Swedish Academy was the best outfit she has worn since the engagement day. She should have worn this dress on either of the Nobel events and not those horrible dresses she had.
But she ruined the look yesterday with her hair. This is not a glamourous gala event, but a very solemn and "boring" ceremonial event, so her hairdo was a miss.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

I, too, think that Swedish Academy dress was very nice indeed, though I think her hair should have been up for it. Maybe it's my age, but I think women should wear their hair up, or at least in a loose chignon, with a floor-length evening gown like that. I think long hair just looks wrong with such a dress. But that's my only complaint and it's really personal preference. Her makeup was lovely.

I agree with other posters, best dress but hairstyle ruined it.

:previous: I'm not sure it was her best dress since the engagement but I think her hair is lovely. Now the only thing she has got to do is not ask CP what the dress code is and expect him to be exact.

Subtleties like "formal = updo" are hard enough to suss out, but Queen Silvia's hair was down, Victoria's was up in a classic chignon with an apparent hair ornament and Madeleine's was half up / half down in a restrained fashion.

What's a girl to do? Next year she'll get it just right.

ps: As a general rule I am not in favour of loose hair for formal occasions. It most often totally ruins the neckline and overall style of an evening gown.

Last edited:
I am starting to think that some of thr younger woman prefer to wear their hair down and will continue to do so. Kate and Sofia are similar in age ND both have great hair that they like to show off.

This time I thought Sofia''s dress was a bit "off" but I liked the cut and she looked sober...Yes, I agree this look might be the best one so far...

I don't know where this idea comes from that formal occasions require hair to be up. That is really an old-fashioned idea.

I get it that hair worn down may not work with every neckline, but that doesn't mean hair has to be in an updo for every formal occasion.

I agree with you Casualfan, but in this case I think it might have looked better off her face if not a full updo.

If Sofia had worn it in a full updo, she would have needed a necklace. Her hair down provided no need for a necklace. I liked the look as a whole.

I am starting to think that some of thr younger woman prefer to wear their hair down and will continue to do so. Kate and Sofia are similar in age ND both have great hair that they like to show off.

Young women with lovely hair certainly may and should wear their hair down if they wish. They don't call a beautiful head of hair 'crowning glory' for no reason.

There's plenty of time to pull one's hair up or back...and we may all have sparse greying hair eventually.

:previous: I am a dyed-in-the-wool member of team updo because IMHO an updo with an evening gown always looks more 'finished'. There is the opportunity to see the overall style of a gown, not to mention admiring the jewellery in general or, if we are very, very lucky, a tiara as well. As has already been posted, Sofia had no necklace and her earrings were pretty hard to see. So apparently she has no serious jewellery at this point.

It is also pretty daunting to wear a classic updo as it exposes the wearer and displays not only their baubles, but their deportment. There can be no hiding behind the curls or slumping posture because when you look at them you see everything from the curl (or tiara) on top to the toes peeping out of the sandals or shoes on her feet.

Yes Sofia has lovely hair and she knows how to show it. We have seen some beautiful shots with elegant daywear. I particularly liked the one with the deep sapphire blue. But, if she wears an evening gown in the same colour I will be pulling for team updo because it simply outclasses everything else.

JMO but the "updo-only" view is just dated and very limiting. Plus, some women just don't have the facial structure or neck for an updo, or they simply prefer their hair down. To hate on them on spec for showing their preference is unfair and silly IMO.

JMO but the "updo-only" view is just dated and very limiting. Plus, some women just don't have the facial structure or neck for an updo, or they simply prefer their hair down. To hate on them on spec for showing their preference is unfair and silly IMO.

I haven't seen any "hate" directed to women who choose to wear their hair down. "Hate" is a very strong word and I don't think it should be used to apply to a poster's comment when all they have said is that they think that long hair should be worn up with an evening gown. To say that you don't think someone has made a good choice with respect to their presentation and appearance is not "hate", just expression of an opinion.

I'll go further and challenge the submission that some women don't have the facial structure or neck for an updo. A skilled hairdresser can style hair in a way that suits the particular woman whether the hair is long or short.

Last edited:
Sofia Hellqvist's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2014 -

I haven't seen any "hate" directed to women who choose to wear their hair down. "Hate" is a very strong word and I don't think it should be used to apply to a poster's comment when all they have said is that they think that long hair should be worn up with an evening gown. To say that you don't think someone has made a good choice with respect to their presentation and appearance is not "hate", just expression of an opinion.

I'll go further and challenge the submission that some women don't have the facial structure or neck for an updo. A skilled hairdresser can style hair in a way that suits the particular woman whether the hair is long or short.

1. "Hate on" is an expression that means casting aspersions or expressing dislike for something. Not literally "hating" something/someone necessarily.

2. I brought up the facial/neck structure as more of a subjective thing--ie some women might not prefer to wear their hair up because they themselves don't feel it benefits their features.

And isn't that the larger point? Women have their own preferences. Saying they shouldn't abide those preferences because of some predetermined, and IMO outdated "rule," is limiting and unfair.

Last edited:
Sofia's dress looks to be from by Malina, like Madeleine's
SANTORINI CROSS STRAPS by Malina. www.bymalina.com

Sofia's hair is hanging on her face and that is never a good thing.

Sofia's hair down is also my only quibble about this appearance, but not because of it being a formal event, but due to the type of hair she seems to have. Whenever I see her wearing it down, it just has this heavy plastered down on her head look & that's just not a good look on anyone period. Then if you have a bit of a long face, it looks even worse.

I wish Sofia and/or her Hairdresser would do something to give her hair a bit of body or lift to it for times like this. I'm not talking Duchess of Cambridge like, as even styled Kate's got a natural lift to her hair, but maybe just a wee bit of...something...done at the crown of Sofia's part to lift it off her face. Anything to stop the plastered down moulded look that just doesn't do Sofia any favours sadly. She's got such great facial bone features, which really shines when her hair is up, it's just a shame the same isn't able to happen when Sofia wears her hair down.

I hope all that made sense. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

1. "Hate on" is an expression that means casting aspersions or expressing dislike for something. Not literally "hating" something/someone necessarily.

2. I brought up the facial/neck structure as more of a subjective thing--ie some women might not prefer to wear their hair up because they themselves don't feel it benefits their features.

And isn't that the larger point? Women have their own preferences. Saying they shouldn't abide those preferences because of some predetermined, and IMO outdated "rule," is limiting and unfair.
I think you are well aware that the 'internet' meaning of 'hate on' and 'haters' is very different from that quoted and to try to pass it off as harmless when you have already qualified it is disingenuous and merely serves to underscore your point.

For me to state my preference us exactly that, my preference and, in no way implies hate of any kind toward Sofia or her hair!

Your second point merely endorses my stated thought that some may be using their hair to hide behind. That ois merely a personal opinion and not a hate on Sofia or her hair.

As to your "summation", by those rules people posting here are not allowed to comment adversely on a dress or hair style, for fear of being labelled haters and which is very odd considering that this is a thread devoted to discussion of Sofia's fashion choices.

Colour me utterly confused by your quite

I saw today a few photos in Hellomagazine, and I notice while the Queen, Victoria and Madeleine they have a coat, she is not! isn't she cold? and the other is the Madeleine looks the same dress as Sofia but different colour

I think you are well aware that the 'internet' meaning of 'hate on' and 'haters' is very different from that quoted and to try to pass it off as harmless when you have already qualified it is disingenuous and merely serves to underscore your point.

For me to state my preference us exactly that, my preference and, in no way implies hate of any kind toward Sofia or her hair!

Your second point merely endorses my stated thought that some may be using their hair to hide behind. That ois merely a personal opinion and not a hate on Sofia or her hair.

As to your "summation", by those rules people posting here are not allowed to comment adversely on a dress or hair style, for fear of being labelled haters and which is very odd considering that this is a thread devoted to discussion of Sofia's fashion choices.

Colour me utterly confused by your quite

Your first paragraph makes no sense. I wasn't passing anything off as harmless; I was reiterating that I wasn't suggesting anyone was "hating" anything.

I agree that some might "hide behind" their hair but I don't see that as a negative.

Once again, I'm not suggesting people are hating anything. It is my opinion (you have the absolute right to disagree) that saying someone should always wear an updo for a formal event is limiting and old fashioned idea.

Just to clarify: I'm not hating on anyone; I'm not saying anyone hates Sofia; I'm simply disagreeing with the notion that it's a disappointment when Sofia (or any other royal lady) wears their hair down to a formal event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom