Queen Sofia's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2006 - January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Both suits look very elegant and appropriate for the occasions. Q.Sofia looks very well lately.

I prefer the purple suit, it is nice to see some color. She looks elegant in both suits, IMO.

Queen Sofia hardly gets it completely wrong, ever. She wears "uniform": professional, timeless, more or less same hairdo for ages, with a personal style (eg Xmas Tree-like jewellery) that people can like or dislike but that doesnt affect or dominate the appearance. Queen Sofia has achieved that when people talk about her its about the event and what she was doing there, not about how she looked or what she was wearing. For a woman, thats the ultimate form of respect, substance beating the shallowness of fashion and style. Very much like her daughter Elena, Sofia is not a beauty, especially not among today's generic or ever-changing faces but manages to captivate with personality or character.

... as I said:
with a personal style (eg Xmas Tree-like jewellery) that people can like or dislike but that doesnt affect or dominate the appearance.

I dislike some of the outfits myself (especially the pyjama wear) but still find them always appropriate, dressed to the occasion and nothing that would be commented on in the usual style or fashion magazines, not even in Hola!

You wrote "doesn't affect or dominate the appearance", and this is where I disagree :)

Queen Sofia hardly gets it completely wrong, ever. She wears "uniform": professional, timeless, more or less same hairdo for ages, with a personal style (eg Xmas Tree-like jewellery) that people can like or dislike but that doesnt affect or dominate the appearance. Queen Sofia has achieved that when people talk about her its about the event and what she was doing there, not about how she looked or what she was wearing. For a woman, thats the ultimate form of respect, substance beating the shallowness of fashion and style. Very much like her daughter Elena, Sofia is not a beauty, especially not among today's generic or ever-changing faces but manages to captivate with personality or character.

Neither event or style has been talked much in the press, simply because she is an old lady, not much interest out there. If Letizia showed up in Valentino coutures or Oscar de La Renta clothes like her MIL, you think the media wouldn't be talking about her foregin designer clothes, her extravagant style ?

Neither event or style has been talked much in the press, simply because she is an old lady, not much interest out there. If Letizia showed up in Valentino coutures or Oscar de La Renta clothes like her MIL, you think the media wouldn't be talking about her foregin designer clothes, her extravagant style ?
It doesnt need designer clothes to have the media talking about what Letizia is wearing. They dont talk about much else.

Sofia's choices are always classic and good quality style and a good example that there is no need for designer clothes in order to achieve that.

Excellent post. I had read an article once about women that choose NOT to change their looks. They didn't mention royal women, mostly actresses (Catherine Deneuve, for example) and I was impressed by the author's observations. These women become iconic, but it's always their strong personality that shines through.;) I believe Q Sofia belongs to this category of women, along with many other royal ladies (QEII, Q Beatrix, Diana, to name a few).

It doesnt need designer clothes to have the media talking about what Letizia is wearing. They dont talk about much else.

Sofia's choices are always classic and good quality style and a good example that there is no need for designer clothes in order to achieve that.

There were plenty of articles in the media on the events attended by Letizia and not about the clothes, I'm 100% sure much more than the events attended by her MIL. Of course, the events themselves are not the interest of the tabloids or message boards, the main interest is always gossips or clothes (message boards).

Sofia wore many Valentino coutures at night, day time many of her clothes were specially made for her by Margarita Neuz, she also wore suits from Oscar de la Renta, Escada, Chanel. She probably spent more money on clothes than other European queen consorts. It's not valid to say she didn't wear designer clothes. It might be able to achieve to what you said, however it's not Sofia, she did wear lots of foreign designer clothes. Diana was a better example of dressing well and promoting the designers of her own country, but she had been seen as a clothes horse only until the last few year before she died.
Had Letizia worn the same clothes like her MIL, I'm sure there would be showers of criticism in Spain on her extravagant lifestyle, absolutely double standards out there.

Last edited:
It's not valid to say she didn't wear designer clothes. It might be able to achieve to what you said, however it's not Sofia, she did wear lots of foreign designer clothes.

I never said Sofia didnt wear designer clothes. I said its not important what she wears, designer or not, because she always looks classy and timeless. Margarita Nuez' designs are by far not as high end as Valentino or Oscar de la Renta but do the job perfectly.

She probably spent more money on clothes than other European queen consorts.

I dont believe a second this is true, especially when looking to Sweden.

I dislike some of the outfits myself (especially the pyjama wear) but still find them always appropriate, dressed to the occasion and nothing that would be commented on in the usual style or fashion magazines, not even in Hola!

I dislike th pyjama wear too. With the heavy jewelry she seems to enjoy wearing with them it makes her look like a gypsy.

I don't like this dress, though its colour suits Q Sofia. Shawl, bag and shoes are all nice. Wrong jewels, IMO. :cool:

I like the style of the dress, the colour is very old lady (what she is). I think the small necklace would have been sufficient.

The hair is certainly bullet-proof, almost like a wig. The only Queen who can beat that is Beatrix :cool:

I never said Sofia didnt wear I dont believe a second this is true, especially when looking to Sweden.

Silvia has the Nobel Prizes to attend. Silvia dresses in a more trendy way, but it doesn't mean her clothes are more expensive, I don't see many Valentino coutures from her. She wore clothes from Natan, a mid-range brand, no more expensive than the suits from Margarita Neuz.

A gold coloured shawl or wrap would be nice too as her accessories (shoes and bag) were gold. :)

I like the dress but not the shawl, I feel it was to big and did not fit well with the dress.

Looks much lovelier with the shawl! I do not like it without the shawl, but with it I do.
Like the bag too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom