The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I've always liked Spanish mantillas. Her Majesty looks very pretty with it. The outfit & mantilla go very well together!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Courtier

I like the Spanish mantilla too. It adds to the regal look, and a person's height.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It's quite a regal outfit. Together with the black mantilla the suit looks classy!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Nobility

Queen Sofia clumsy?

Hi, any and all. Didn't know where to address this but it seemed most appropriate here.

I've never thought Queen Sofia was particularly pretty...not ugly, just not pretty...and she has worn some hideous gala gowns before (particularly in the late 1970s and most of the 1980s), but to me she always seems (especially lately) very elegant and styled very nicely, particularly when wearing suits. My image of her was always graceful and elegant.

Then at the Swedish royal wedding last month, she stumbled while walking with Queen Beatrix to the church. It was only slight, and many may not have even noticed as they were rather far from the camera at the time.

Then I remembered another occasion and did some research. On at least TWO other occasions, Queen Sofia has had worse physical grace.

1. At the Spanish Armed Forces Day on May 30 of this year, she stumbled and nearly fell down on the podium where she and King JC stand. She would have fallen if both her husband and son hadn't caught and steadied her. That made me think it might be because she is getting older....BUT:

2. Over ten years ago, while on a state visit to the USA visiting President and Mrs. Clinton, Queen Sofia actually FELL DOWN while climbing the steps at the entrance to the White House where Bill & Hillary Clinton were standing. I don't think she was laid out or anything but she definitely took a knee and Pres. Clinton had to help her up.

Some of you who are more familiar with her may know...is Queen Sofia somewhat clumsy? She doesn't seem to wear exceptionally high heels, and even though these are only three instances I found, it at least shows a history if not a pattern.

Thanks for any information.

Rascal
Old 08-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Hi, any and all. Didn't know where to address this but it seemed most appropriate here.
I've seen different photos of Queen Sofia falling or stumbling in some occasions, but I don't think that is a matter of clumsiness and I also don't think that this is because of her shoes... Though I don't have any other explanation, it may be the age... The fact is that Queen Sofia isn't getting any younger, and older people tend to fall down... (But I'm not saying that she has some kind of problem)

On Victoria's wedding, I believe it was for the dress, because it had that detail on the front.
On May 30th, I guess she was just distracted waving and missed the podium.
On that visit to the USA, I have no explanation. I think that also on May in a prizes' delivery the Queen also stumbled. Some years ago, the Queen also fell down and I think it was due to the skirt that was a little longer..

Well, about the clothes in the 80's... I guess that on those years almost anything was pretty ugly, Rascal
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

http://noticias.terra.es/2010/mundo/...u-00$599x0.jpg

With Michelle and Sasha Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post

I've never thought Queen Sofia was particularly pretty...not ugly, just not pretty...and she has worn some hideous gala gowns before (particularly in the late 1970s and most of the 1980s), but to me she always seems (especially lately) very elegant and styled very nicely, particularly when wearing suits. My image of her was always graceful and elegant.

Rascal
Here's an article about the both falls.
Oops I did it again! Spain's Queen Sofia stumbles, evoking memories of White House slip | Mail Online

I don't think she is "clumsy" both incidents just look like loss of balance for a few seconds.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well tripping is something that happens to the best of us. Unfortunately for Queen Sofia hers will be documented since she's the Queen of Spain and is well known.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Sofia in Spetses at the pre-wedding cocktail party hosted by the GRF.

While I was expecting her wearing some pyjama fashion, the nightgown or bathrobe she has chosen instead is even worse. Its a horrible miss for me, sorry.
http://1.2.3.10/bmi/c.cdn.belga.be/p...view/watermark
Old 08-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duke, I can't get your photo link to open. Hopefully this one will work:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...Lgc51/x610.jpg
Old 08-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Interesting, original are the only words I can find.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Tonightīs outfit was one of the worst Iīve ever seen the Queen wearing.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Aristocracy

Iīm sure (at least i hope) that itīs going to be much better tomorrow. I still donīt know what i should think about todays dress...

!

... but after seeing her in the video (about 06:00) i think itīs not that bad i first thought.
And in the following picture it looks like sheīs wearing a green gown underneath a gape.
http://www.daylife.com/photo/0glAge6...rince+nikolaos
Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Interesting, original are the only words I can find.
really??
Itīs ugly, you can say it, donīt worry.
I love our Queen, but I canīt love this outfit. I wish sheīll wear something nicer tomorrow, crossing my fingers

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Courtier

Tonight's outfit was simply HORRID!!! Crossing my fingers for tomorrow as well...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Gentry

She needs to learn when to stop with the patterns. Overkill!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

I don't like this dress at all.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Original outfit. I think the dress isn't that bad, but all the necklaces, bags and whatever are just too much.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Royal Highness

Too much going on here. I don't like it.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Horrible outfit. One of the worst I've ever seen.

Here are some more pictures of it:
Full length: http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...QKcyn/x610.jpg
Close-up of the jewelry: http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...PBcnO/x610.jpg
Purse: http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...54cHi/x610.jpg

Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Courtier

She reminds me of a gypsy.

Tags
fashion, queen sofia, style