The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

A different view of the outfit.
At least she is not wearing coulottes - it only looked like that in the group pic - but a regular skirt.
Still a very unfortunate combination (though everything becomes relative when looking at the Estonian First Lady's wardrobe choices ):

Photobank CTK

Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
What the hell is on that other woman's head? Or Queen SIlvia for that matter?
That is what I want to know! I suppose one calls them hats, but I do not know what that was on both their heads.The first lady looks ready for a Greek goddess burial.
And their outfits- awful

Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

While I have no idea what you would call the Estonian First Lady's two pieces of headwear, Queen Silvia is simply wearing a cossack style fur hat, which is not my cup of tea either, but a classic...

Closer view:
Paní Evelin Ilves a královna Silvia náv
Old 01-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's a skirt indeed - i wouldn't believe it!!
ANP Beeldbank
But is there a need to still wear the hat? They are not in the palace anymore. Maybe it would destroy the hairstyle to take it off...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy tale View Post
It's a skirt indeed - i wouldn't believe it!!
ANP Beeldbank
But is there a need to still wear the hat? They are not in the palace anymore. Maybe it would destroy the hairstyle to take it off...
Queen Silvia and Evelin Ilves had three engagements in three different locations in the afternoon and it's freezing in Stockholm, so it I guess it was obviously (though unfortunately) more practical to leave the hats on.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

at the banquet, 18-01-2011
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...uA7WF/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...JR9DE/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...odaeT/x610.jpg

Imo quite beautiful, although personally I'm not a fan of this half-transparent upper part (not finding the right word for it). Still it looks fine on her.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Majesty

am i wrong or is this a dress worn many years ago?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes indeed, this gown is actually from the state visit from the Emperor of Japan to Sweden in the year 2000, and was worn once again four years later during a state visit to Thailand.
I believe it is actually the last dress which Joergen Bender designed for her.
It's very classical - almost too much so - with its timeless cut and the silver embroidery on top and all around the skirt.
Especially wearing a red sash, the ruby tiara would have been a great choice - the all-white look with the jewelry chosen here is a bit monochrome, IMO.
Another pic:

Photobank CTK
Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I have seen the same style of the First Lady's headwear on one of the evil stepsister's in Roger's and Hammerstein Cinderella! LOL.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Nice full-length view of the white gown with silver embroidery from the state banquet last night:

Photobank CTK
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
A different view of the outfit.
At least she is not wearing coulottes - it only looked like that in the group pic - but a regular skirt.
Still a very unfortunate combination (though everything becomes relative when looking at the Estonian First Lady's wardrobe choices ):

Photobank CTK
The combination of all these pieces may not be 100% correct but I loved the outfit so much!! I was getting very bored of the royal fashion lately, until this photo of Silvia came. I even like the hat on her, though these fur hats are not my cup of tea either.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Imo quite beautiful, although personally I'm not a fan of this half-transparent upper part (not finding the right word for it). Still it looks fine on her.
This gown looks too old-fashioned and too bridal for me. Not the best choice in today's world though Q Silvia looks ravishing as always!!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post

Queen Silvia and Evelin Ilves had three engagements in three different locations in the afternoon and it's freezing in Stockholm, so it I guess it was obviously (though unfortunately) more practical to leave the hats on.
It's winter in Sweden and that is great!! ... but an unfortunate side effect of winter ( dry and v.cold weather) is that it cause a lot of static electricity ... The hair becomes very flat/ flying uncontrollably around ... (especially when you remove hat or cap...) and it is very difficult with skirts ... I personally had major problems with my skirt in church on Sunday, for although I had a good petticoat, the skirt insisted on to smear around the legs and "climb "..... Just as it looks to be with Silvia's skirt at the photos from yesterday ... (and maybe the fur hat made the static electricity even worse )
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 01-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Silvia attended today a banquet at City Hall.
Zimbio
Zimbio
Zimbio
I don´t like this outfit at all, it´s quite awful. And the hair piece doesn´t fit to the colours of her outfit.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:

It's a delicate dress, I love the details on the top part and it's a wonderful shimmering fabric, IMO. The style of the skirt is not so much my cup of tea, though.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Zimbio
Zimbio
Zimbio
I don´t like this outfit at all, it´s quite awful. And the hair piece doesn´t fit to the colours of her outfit.
I definitely don't like this outfit, for me it's a bit silly. The only thing I'm in favour of is the jewellery.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Zimbio
Zimbio
Zimbio
I also don't like this outfit. It looks old, somehow washed out. The hair piece doesn't match, neither do the shoes. Or was the hair piece suppose to match the shoes? I don't see it...

ADDED: close up of the head piece

at a reception held at Operaterrassen on the second day of the Estonian state visit on January 19, 2011
full view
close up
Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Gentry

I wud marry Silvia right here right now if she wanted to..she just dazzles me to bits..the fur hat is my fave {i have two of those in orange and raspberry }..the ecru evening gown is dreamy, i'd take her out to dinner she wud wear this gown n' after that we wud dance on the beach with the stars shining above us ..i just luv luv everything on her, the red fascinator is ultra chic, i need a cool drink immediately..
Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Gentry

the fur hat is grande elegance, voila!!!Trés trés jolie! but the evening dress does not persuade me totally. No no. there is something about the sweet stuff I'm not so sure.........I must think about it. take a Martini,dear Sebastian darling.

the heels are enchanting, no?the suit..... aww, a bit too beamless for Silvia. yes, that should be my statement at this point.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Zimbio
Zimbio
Zimbio
I like it! I like everything about both ladies' outfits, except the First Lady's hat.