Queen Silvia's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2002 - December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
State Visit to Thailand jan - feb 2003
When I saw this gown I immediately thought of the gown designed by YUKI that Princess Diana wore during a state visit to Japan in 1989. (Click on the link below.) It was sold as Lot #68 at her auction. Does anyone know who designed Queen Silvia's gown and if Princess Diana's gown was the inspiration for this one?
http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/gg/auction61to70.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrswitham, you'll find the answers to your question and additional info on page 8 of this thread.
Both gowns (Princess Diana's in 1986 and Queen Silvia's in 2003) were designed by Japanese-born and London-based designer Yuki. Rather than one dress being the inspiration for the other, Yuki has a distincive technical style which he has been varying for decades - again, see page 8 for more, including links & Queen Silvia's other Yuki gowns.

where is the dresses
of queen silvia in gala dinners
in china and bulgaria
i want to see
file
called evening gowns of queens
photos

i want to see
queen silvia tiara
worn 2007 june
and evening gown
when she met the chinese president
i can watch this photos until now
can any member
post the links or photos
of state visit of china to sweden 2007

i want to see
queen silvia gowns
when she visited bulgaria
and state visit of china to sweden
where the photos

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Silvia during a symposium on energy and environment at the Royal Swedish Academy of Science
ANP Beeldbank
This is one of the ugliest hats of Queen Silvia ever...

It looks like she has a giant folded napkin on her head. Good heavens, Silva, why?!:eek:

Wonderful outfit! Silvia looks stunning in red! Love the hat.
Wonderful, wonderful outfit and the hat is the most glorious confection, mmm yummy! :wub:

Her "Companion" looks rather wan and pales into insignificance beside her. :whistling:

Queen Silvia looked spectacular! The suit itself also has some great details and the hat is very chic.

after to see al this photos when she was young it is incredible how her daughter victoria looks like her clon!

Over the years Queen Silvia appeared most of times in very stylish clothes and hats and other times I wondered if she got dressed on a bet or something. Some of the Yuki clothes she wore are awfully busy and a couple of hats look like they belonged at Royal Ascot. Still all in all she did not have too many missteps.
She came a long way since her first official trip to the Netherlands (1976) when she appeared for 3 days in a row in the same mink coat.

I don’t find the Yuki designs fussy at all – quite the opposite, they’re actually rather minimalistic. No embroidery, no two-tone, no frills, no collars, no seaming… their unique effect relies completely on the cut and the gathering of the fabric. Yuki's designs are mostly influenced by 1920’s Erté designs and drawings.
IMO, the newest one is quite perfect for a hot summer semi-formal occasion like the St. Tropez gala.
BTW, I didn’t like Queen Silvia’s tendency early in her marriage to cover up every outfit with fur in winter either… but even back in the NL in November 1976 she already wore exclusively Dior evening gowns. Marc Bohan did almost her entire eveningwear as Queen until her first pregnancy.

I don’t find the Yuki designs fussy at all – quite the opposite, they’re actually rather minimalistic. No embroidery, no two-tone, no frills, no collars, no seaming… their unique effect relies completely on the cut and the gathering of the fabric. Yuki's designs are mostly influenced by 1920’s Erté designs and drawings.
IMO, the newest one is quite perfect for a hot summer semi-formal occasion like the St. Tropez gala.
BTW, I didn’t like Queen Silvia’s tendency early in her marriage to cover up every outfit with fur in winter either… but even back in the NL in November 1976 she already wore exclusively Dior evening gowns. Marc Bohan did almost her entire eveningwear as Queen until her first pregnancy.

The one Yuki that comes to mind right now was the 2007 Nobel night. She looked like she was ready to fly off with those sleeves.
I loved her Marc Bohan wedding gown and all the dresses he made for her. The long lovely velvet burgundy cape she wore in Paris in 1976 -77 was gorgeous. As I said, overall she has always been very stylish although sometimes over the years, the inevitable happenned......she missed.

I wish that the Queen would stop wearing Yukis dresses - I don´t like them at all! They do nothing for the figures and i don´t like the sleeves and the minimalistic design...

I wish that the Queen would stop wearing Yukis dresses - I don´t like them at all! They do nothing for the figures and i don´t like the sleeves and the minimalistic design...

Don't look at pictures of her wearing them! She obviously likes them. Besides she looks very good in them.

Yes indeed, it's from the Hermès collection of Birkin bags, named after French singer/actress Jane Birkin. I believe Queen Silvia has several of those and started carrying them a few years ago.

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;803363 said:
I have got a question:
is the handbag on the picture a "Birkin Bag"?
Wohltäterin zu Land und zu Wasser - Story auf Gala.de
I think it is one! If not this bag looks very similar to a real "Birkin Bag"!

Looks like a knock-off to me --- the lock is really huge

Sylvia would look good in a potato sack --- I think that for a woman her age she has a flawless figure and dresses great

Yes indeed, it's from the Hermès collection of Birkin bags, named after French singer/actress Jane Birkin. I believe Queen Silvia has several of those and started carrying them a few years ago.
Look like it could be the Kelly bag!

Sylvia would look good in a potato sack --- I think that for a woman her age she has a flawless figure and dresses great

Indeed! She dresses great for a lady in her age. She could wear everything she want and would look great. IMO the discussion about her Yuki-dresses is senselessly. These gowns are great on her.

Look like it could be the Kelly bag!

Yes that is a kelly. A birkin has two straps:)

pamk said:
Looks like a knock-off to me --- the lock is really huge

Doesnt seem like a knock off to me. The lock looks huge becasue its attached to the silver thing on th ebag which makes it look very stiff.

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;803458 said:
Indeed! She dresses great for a lady in her age. She could wear everything she want and would look great. IMO the discussion about her Yuki-dresses is senselessly. These gowns are great on her.

I beg to differ. No everyone loves the same dresses all the time and some dresses look good to some and not so good to others. Overall the Queen has managed over the years to look stylish. Some dresses however, in my humble opinion did not do her justice. Either too fussy or too bright. That bright red dress at the Nobel ceremonies of 2007 was not Yuki's best. Again, this is how I feel. Others may totally disagree which is alright.

I stand corrected, it seems to be the Hermès Kelly Bag (unless they've created a 'Silvia' bag by now...;)). A closer view here (and someone forgot to close it too):
Picture details
I doubt that Queen Silvia is the kind of person who would ever wear knock-offs…
Regarding her Yuki dresses, I guess you either hate them (Nightgowns! Shapeless sacks!) or love them (Unique! Avantgardistic! Looks just like an Erté drawing!).
I happen to fall into the second category… and regarding rich colors: It’s rather amazing how Queen Silvia can pull off wearing the whole color palette, though IMO she actually looks better in strong jewel shades than in pale pastels, at least for eveningwear.

I happen to fall into the second category… and regarding rich colors: It’s rather amazing how Queen Silvia can pull off wearing the whole color palette, though IMO she actually looks better in strong jewel shades than in pale pastels, at least for eveningwear.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I have to agree. She can indeed wear the whole color palette. Here are some examples:
ANP Beeldbank love this bright color on her. Not everyone can wear such a color.:wub:

ANP BeeldbankNot a fan of the cut.

ANP Beeldbank IMO Red is one of the most beautiful colors on her.

ANP BeeldbankAlso a such a green looks good on her.

ANP Beeldbank Once more a bright pink on her.

ANP Beeldbank

The Royals -> 90th birthday party for Princess LilianHere a dress in a bright orange.

Her daytime-outfits are also very colorful.
ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

Her freetime-outfits contain also the whole color palette:
http://www.ritva.com/public/tid6467d.jpg

SvD » Kulturnyheter » Privat oas In the picture-special are nice pictures of the queen.

Queen Silvia at the Mentor Foundation Royal Gala at the Waldorf Astoria
Daylife
Daylife
I don´t like this at all, too shiny and looks like plastic.

I just came across an issue of Hello magazine from 1996 and it has stunning photos of Queen Silvia in her pre-op phase --- her face has changed so much now.
Lately. Silvia does not seem to be putting as much effort in dressing for formal events.
For the Nobel ceremony in December, she alwsys used to have very elaborate hair-dos and she really piled on the jewelry - she always looked magnificent.
In the last several years, she seems to just put on a dress, throw on a tiara and that's it.

IMHO I dare say, that Queen Silvia could possibly look even better with another hairstyle, i.e. less wavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom