The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
At the 1990 Nobel, Queen Silvia was indeed still in mourning, tough for her father who had died shortly before, not her mother who died from Alzheimer's disease a few years later, if I'm correct.
So the circumstances have to be taken into consideration when reviewing her choice of that that rather heavy & sombre dark blue velvet gown (which she had worn before but without the white lace collar).
My prediction for the Nobel 2006 gown is the silver embroidered one she wore for the state visit in Thailand. She really hasn't worn many new gala dresses for years on end, so this is about the only one left!
has she not worn a very orange dress this year but i cant figure out when it was

Old 10-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Royal Highness

My favorites:
1978, 1986, 1987, 1990 and 2002. I really think Queen Silvia looks great in jewel tones. I know most people don't like 1990, but I do.

My least favorites:
1976 - nothing about the dress, just that she has her legs crossed at the knees. I thought that was a princess no-no.
1985 - unflattering; way too poufy!
1993 - she looks like she's going to a ball at a prison
1997 - all I can say is ?????????

Old 12-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Majesty

sp its less then 10 days to this year nobel
and i hope we will see silvia in a red dress but i still cant figure out what dress she will wear has shee never were a new dress to the nobel
Old 12-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

After seeing her in that stunning red dress (she wore for the "Bambi") I am in real Nobel-Prize Mood now .
I'm really curious in which dress (new or recycled) we will see her...

Old 12-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Aristocracy

Thankyou very much Swedishme for scanning all those magazine pictures.
Queen Silvia is extremely elegant, she looks so regal and impressive with those evening dresses and parures, even I like the yellow dress she wore in 1985, I know not everybody likes that dress but you can't deny the embroidery is fantastic.
I'm dying to see Queen Silvia at the Nobel Prize Gala this month.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

30-11-2006
Queen Silvia attended the Bambi-Gala. She wore a red evening dress:

Red Gown (reuters)
Red Gown 2 (Anp)

Old 12-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness

I love this red gown. She looks wonderful in it and I also love cut of dress.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Gentry

I don't like it
It is too slack and too long
Old 12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinses Lauren10
I don't like it
It is too slack and too long
I agree that the dress doesn't look that good on the photos. In TV she looked great! The backview of this dress is beautiful!

Old 12-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Commoner

i think that she looks amazing and im not too fond of the dress but it is a beautiful color and compared to some other ones over the years, its modern yet elegant.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Royal Highness

Nice colour but the dress is rather shapeless. It probably looked good on the drawing board.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Commoner

I don't know if it is the right place to post, but the link shows a video (in German) with the red dress of the Bambi Gala - it's on the beginning and a short part at the end.
http://vip.rtl.de/stars_8575.php?&me...15&stream=ms_h

if it doesn't work you have to click on: Exclusiv: Roter Teppich beim Bambi (it's on the first page)
Old 12-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty
In TV she looked great! The backview of this dress is beautiful!
Not only back, but I love whole top. also color is wonderful.... as I wrote I love it...
but not that material. That's strange
Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Silvia is one of the most fashionable queen ever..
Old 12-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Courtier

Here is a link to the official nobel site where you can view all of Queen Silvias Nobel gowns, the fotos are taken at the exhibition "Our Queen - Dressed for the Nobel Banquet" at the royal palace this summer, where you have a really good view of the dresses and doesn´t focus on her majesty or her lovely jewels.
http://nobelprize.org/award_ceremoni...wns/index.html
Old 12-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Gentry

wow, i love her galaoutfits!

rop81: that is a great site!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:23 AM
Majesty

Silvia wore the dress she worein thiland i think a japance designer that also designed for princess diana
Old 05-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Silvia's dresses during the State Visit to Denmark

09-05-2007
Silver Dress

10-05-2007
beautiful turqouise dress

11-05-2007
yellow galadress

Linneanum Statevisit of Empress Michiko of Japan to Sweden with Queen Silvia
23-05-2007
grey dress

Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

IMO, her suit in London in pink was not so good for her.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

'Rchainho', I think the fuchsia pink looked great against the very green background at the Chelsea Flower Show, and this occasion was a good excuse to wear that flower bouquet hat (first seen during the state visit to Japan). I hope not to see it again though, I just hate those flowered or feathered headdresses that are so much en vogue these days instead of a much better 'traditional' hat.

Thanks a lot to 'Her Majesty for her summary of the three new dresses Queen Silvia wore during the state visit to Denmark and now in Uppsala!

# 1 from your post is actually not silver but pastel blue. Great top with gorgeous embroidery, a very traditional 'Queen's dress. I just wish the skirt would be as impressive. Some repeat of the top's embroidery on the skirt's hem wouldn't have hurt, and neither would have a train, in order to out-balance all the splendour of the top.

# 2 I really like, there is almost too much going on with the design but Queen Silvia carries it off very well, I believe strong colors are best for her anyway.

# 3 is not a knock-out but nice. I saw it on TV and it looks much better inside than in daylight because in artificial light the color changes from palle yellow to a real shimmering gold.

# 4 is a recycled dress and I just don't like the dull silver-grey color on her. The same style dress would look so much better on her in a color like moss green or a rusty red.
Anyway, all of these gowns are excuisitely cut.

In general, I am starting to wonder if Queen Silvia has changed designers recently.
When she first became Queen, she remained faithful to Marc Bohan for Christian Dior; during the 80's, to Danish Joergen Bender; in the 90's, it was Nina Ricci and Jacques Zehnder; but recently, there are a lot of London-based Japanese designer's Yuki gowns, and the newest dresses discussed above don't remind me of any one of these designers.
# 1 could be by Bender, also as a tribute to the country visited, but I feel that appart from Yuki, there might be another new designer around these days...

Tags
fashion and style, queen silvia