The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Silvia never fails to impress me! She looks so good in the red beaded dress, and I like the cape as well. I wish we could see the purse better, it sounds very interesting....The Jewelry IMO, could have been better, perhaps something with Rubies, and chandelier style earrings, in lieu of a necklace.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Queen Silvia at a gala dinner yesterday, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Swedish Chamber of Commerce in Hamburg, Germany.
A repeat from last year: A sleek, deep red gown with front slit, short train, vertical shoulder cut-outs, re-embroidered all over in rectangular sequins and worn with a black, fur-lined cape.
IMO quite perfectly glamorous. Late-1930s Hollywood inspired but adding modern elements, with jewelry wisely understated here and the cape a great choice to wear over it.
A detail: Her purse is in the shape of a deck of cards (the hearts, of course) set in colored rhinestones.

Picture details
Picture details
Picture details
I don't like the dress on Silvia, looks quite tacky.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thigh-high boots are tacky... necklines too low might be tacky... platform peeptoe shoes are tacky... black nail polish is... but this gown I don't find tacky at all.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I don't like the dress on Silvia, looks quite tacky.
I have to agree. I'm not liking all this red lacey material the Queen has been wearing lately. She has a wonderful body, no one is disputing that, but, these clingy lacey dresses are not good for her. I hope she gets this out of her system before he daughters' weddings. I really don't want to see clingy lace at that event.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's not a single piece of lace on this dress...
I wouldn't want to see her in those 'clingy' glamour gowns at the wedding festivities (or the Nobel Awards) either, but anyway we won't.
Queen Silvia always makes the distinction of wearing more regal, elaborate gowns for formal occasions and reserving the sleeker dresses for less formal, glitzy night events - where they belong.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
Queen Silvia never fails to impress me! She looks so good in the red beaded dress, and I like the cape as well. I wish we could see the purse better, it sounds very interesting...
I came across a better view of the purse with the 'Queen of Hearts' in rhinestones - the 'King of Hearts' is on the flipside, making it a whole deck of cards.
The purse was actually included in the 2006 exhibition of the Queen's Nobel dresses, though she has never carried it at the ceremony.

Pic:
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/443/610xfvj.jpg
Old 11-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thigh-high boots are tacky... necklines too low might be tacky... platform peeptoe shoes are tacky... black nail polish is... but this gown I don't find tacky at all.
I have to agree. From the very beginning the queen has been dressing in very elegant outfits. A bit on the conservative side but never tacky.
BTW I have seen her wearing this dress before. The bouquet of flowers was a bit too large but I do not supposed she can be blamed for it.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it's a good classic outfit.
Queen Silvia looks wonderful.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Serene Highness

The purse with the "Queen of Hearts" is lovely. I'm glad we had the chance to see it clearly.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Silvia always dresses appropriately and elegantly. She rarely disappoints me. And this red dress is no exception. Very nice!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I came across a better view of the purse with the 'Queen of Hearts' in rhinestones - the 'King of Hearts' is on the flipside, making it a whole deck of cards.
The purse was actually included in the 2006 exhibition of the Queen's Nobel dresses, though she has never carried it at the ceremony.

Pic:
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/443/610xfvj.jpg
It's a cute idea for a purse. Beautiful red dress!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Red is a good colour on Queen Silvia.
Boris are you saying the purse is made from an entire deck of cards in some way?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of course there won't be actual cards... The motif is a deck of poker cards, opening like a book in the center and held together by what appears to be a thin leather ‚belt’ with rhinestone clasp.
Sorry, but the pic in post # 368 is the closest view I could find online.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

It reminds me of the designs by Judith Leiber that are sold here in the states.... Her designs include everything from frogs to lady bugs and just about anything one can dream of.... all simply exquisite! To own one is to display it somewhere among your treasures, after wearing it, of course. :)
Wonderful close-up, by the way...
Old 11-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Boris, tx for posting the closer view of the Queen of Hearts evening bag, its wonderful IMO. Wonder what Q Silvia will wear to the Nobel Peace prize ceremony this year.....
Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Of course there won't be actual cards... The motif is a deck of poker cards, opening like a book in the center and held together by what appears to be a thin leather ābeltí with rhinestone clasp.
Sorry, but the pic in post # 368 is the closest view I could find online.
Thanks for the explanation Boris. I understand now. It sounds like a clever design.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have a weakness for purses (I own 50!). What a novelty item! Oh her dress is nice too.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Trust me, shanaz. It is Not a novelty item... :)
Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
It reminds me of the designs by Judith Leiber that are sold here in the states.... Her designs include everything from frogs to lady bugs and just about anything one can dream of.... all simply exquisite! To own one is to display it somewhere among your treasures, after wearing it, of course. :)
Wonderful close-up, by the way...
Yes, she has some unique designs. I wish the Princesses would be more creative with their purses/clutches. They can really add to the outfit.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don’t care much for the jacket & skirt combo worn by Queen Silvia for the UN convention of the Rights of the Child jubilee concert – a cocktail suit or dress would have been nicer, and though the strong color is good for her, the soft tailoring is muddled and unflattering:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4558/ppe09111987.jpg

But IMO she was the best dressed during the day in a new dress, draped around the neck, sleek and fluid, worn with her coral set:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/885...bef88d70dc.jpg

On Day 2 of the meeting today, she wore a favorite Jackie Kennedy style, nice red suit (next to a collegue who dressed as if it was ca. 1925…):
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2846/11423372.jpg

Tags
fashion and style, queen silvia