Queen Silvia's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2002 - December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Queen Silvia has been the best dressed royal so far. The hot pink is just so pretty on her, the coral jewelry with the first dark suit and now the red suit. She looks really impeccable IMO.

I don't like the fuschia top at all. The second dress (is it brown?) really flatters her nice figure. The red dress is my favorite, very elegant and stylish. Are these the only photos there are of these events?

I don’t care much for the jacket & skirt combo worn by Queen Silvia for the UN convention of the Rights of the Child jubilee concert – a cocktail suit or dress would have been nicer, and though the strong color is good for her, the soft tailoring is muddled and unflattering:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4558/ppe09111987.jpg

But IMO she was the best dressed during the day in a new dress, draped around the neck, sleek and fluid, worn with her coral set:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8850/5dc5fcbef88d70dc.jpg

On Day 2 of the meeting today, she wore a favorite Jackie Kennedy style, nice red suit (next to a collegue who dressed as if it was ca. 1925…):
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2846/11423372.jpg

I love both outfits. She looks wonderful. :flowers:

Of course not. There are links to galleries with lots of pics in the topic about this two-day event here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-november-19-20-2009-a-25741-post1021588.html
Thanks Boris. I was mostly looking for more photos of the second dress since you can't see the front very well. Unfortunately there aren't any good pics of the dress in that thread. I am glad you provided that link though as it was nice to see all those royal ladies attending the same event! :flowers:

The new dress that had draping around the neck looked really nice. The color looked really good and the cut was not to figure hugging nor to loose.
The red suit is very classic, fit nicely and looked like a rich piece.
Not sure for the concert outfit. The coat worn with it was to casual and to boring for an evening event. The purple jacket & black skirt is a cant go wrong mix/pieces but it looked to casual IMO.

I love Queen Silvia's red suit. Such a classic style.

I don’t care much for the jacket & skirt combo worn by Queen Silvia for the UN convention of the Rights of the Child jubilee concert – a cocktail suit or dress would have been nicer, and though the strong color is good for her, the soft tailoring is muddled and unflattering:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4558/ppe09111987.jpg

On Day 2 of the meeting today, she wore a favorite Jackie Kennedy style, nice red suit (next to a collegue who dressed as if it was ca. 1925…):
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2846/11423372.jpg

I really liked Q Slivia in the Hot Pink Silk Jacket, but agree, that the tailoring was unflattering. The color made her stand out among all the royal ladies at the event, she really does know how to use color effectively.

The Red/Coral Suit is really stunning on Q Silvia, and really looks good with her hair coloring. The black shoes were a poor choice, IMO.

The Red/Coral Suit is really stunning on Q Silvia, and really looks good with her hair coloring. The black shoes were a poor choice, IMO.
Actually, when Queen Silvia wore the red suit for the first time (last year in Portugal), she went for a remarkable "All-red" look.
Interesting how much more formal the suit automatically appears with different jewelry, red shoes, red hat and even red gloves added:

Detail snímku - fotobanka profimedia.cz

Wonderful comparison, Boris! It just goes to show the importance accessories do to an outfit. Ah to have a stylist to help put me together...:) I prefer the simple, classic look on Queen Silvia but she looks lovely and chic both ways.

Thanks Boris, you demonstrate in photos my point perfectly! The Red shoes, jewels make all the difference. (great hat too!) It was a better outfit the first time, IMO.

Agree Patra. What a difference. She looks much more regal and elegant in all red. Of course the hat helps too. ;)

Nobel Prize 2009:

Queen Silvia recycled a green dress she first wore for the wedding of Mary and Frederik in 2004.

Nobel 2009
Nobel 2009

Copenhagen 2004

It's a little disappointing to see the Queen wearing a recycled dress for the Nobel Prize. The dress itself doesn't belong to my favourites.
Somehow it doesn't have the "noble" look most her other dresses used to have.

I was dissappointed too. Queen Silvia has many much more beautiful dress she could have recycled, than this.

I agree with you. When I saw this dress I was thinking 'nothing special' and 'hmmm, I remember this dress'... Queen Silvia is a truly beautiful women and she could choose better dress for this occasion..

Nobel Prize 2009:

Queen Silvia recycled a green dress she first wore for the wedding of Mary and Frederik in 2004.

Nobel 2009
Nobel 2009

Copenhagen 2004

It's a little disappointing to see the Queen wearing a recycled dress for the Nobel Prize. The dress itself doesn't belong to my favourites.
Somehow it doesn't have the "noble" look most her other dresses used to have.

I knew i recognised the dress.
I still adore it though. :flowers:

Not one of her better dresses. Maybe she wanted the girls to shine today.

I don't like the colour of this gown. I agree she could've picked a better one, she has so many wonderful ones to choose from. But she still looks regal and every inch a Queen.

The color of this year's Nobel gown does not photograph well.
The light yellow two-piece dress actually has a top-to-toe overlay of lace, re-embroidered in purple and a slightly darker shade of yellow, and in some pictures it has a very greenish tinge.
Made by Jacques Zehnder, the craftsmanship and detailing of the gown is exquisite, but it's still disappointing: Too old, too frequently worn before, not quite glamorous enough, and simply a bit casual and comfy-looking with its two-piece cut.
Ideal for attending a royal wedding, which it was originally made for, but not for the Nobel awards ceremony.
The side view showing the silhouette with the train is very nice though:

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=2&ShowPicture=11569118&pos=13

I was disappointed in the gown worn this year by Queen Silvia to the Nobel Prize ceremony. This outfit looked so much better at the wedding worn with the amythest jewels (but I think it was kind to let Victoria Wear the set for her dress).

The dress seemed not to be fitted as well. The queen looks better with her shoulders and arms showing for an event such as this one. Her hair looked a little outdated, and the pearls seemed too "daytime" to me.

The Queen at the King´s dinner tonight, I think that this dress is from Yuki.
SvenskDam
Too bold colour for me, and it looks a little like a nightgown.

Last edited:
The Queen at the King´s dinner tonight, I think that this dress is from Yuki.
SvenskDam
Too bold colour for me, and it looks a little like a nightgown.

Your right, it has no detail on it to make it stand out. It's too big.
And her hair was not done right for that tiara. :ermm:

With Yuki, I believe it's a case of 'You either love him or you hate him'.
I happen to love his unique designs... his technique to cut on a circle with a minimum of seams and shape a gown all in the draping is fascinating, and the result allows for a maximum of fluidity in movement, which of course gets somewhat lost on pictures.
The draping here is similar to the white Yuki gown of Queen Silvia (first worn in Japan, then in Portugal), but more elaborate, with different sleeves and a longer train.
I don't think the purple color is too bold for Queen Silvia, and all in all I like this style, somewhat archaic and modern at once, far better than the Queen's look for the main Nobel event this year.
I am uncertain about her hairdo as well, but so far, pics really don't provide a good view of it so it's difficult to tell...

:previous:Well, I'm among those who hate the Yuki dresses. The only thing I liked about her yesterday was to see the ruby tiara again, though the hairstyle could have been better. Maybe the dress would be more endearing to me if I saw it in movement. But in still pictures it's definitely not my cup of tea. The colour was ok for Silvia, she can wear these vibrant shades. But with the ruby tiara it would have looked better with more red in it.

The Yuki purple dress should have been labeled "Yucky"- hated it.

WOW, ruby tiara, I didn't expected to see it. The dress...nice color and nothing more. I'm really disappointed.

I agree with you, I wished she had wear the grey dress from state visit in Nederland. We saw it only this time!

Love the color of this dress, but it looks like a BIG PURPLE SACK with pleats. There's not a whole lot I like about this dress. The ruby tiara for me was beautiful but not with this dress. I adore the necklace that Princess Lilian so elegantly wears and the Queen wore it very well also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom