The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Do you mean this dress micas?
Im sorry but thats the only picture I have. It does look like a pretty dress though.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know who designed this dress? I really love it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
back to Queen Rania's old gala dresses.

State visit to Spain - October 1999

Old 07-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

Did I miss a post or can someone explain exactly what's acceptable in Muslim culture for women's clothing? It appears to me that the photos in #150 show a lot of skin. Does shear fabric count as covering?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
Did I miss a post or can someone explain exactly what's acceptable in Muslim culture for women's clothing? It appears to me that the photos in #150 show a lot of skin. Does shear fabric count as covering?
that would depend on what country a woman lives in. Muslim "culture" is different in every region. The general rule is modesty in clothing for men and women as advocated by the Holy Quran, which includes covering everything thats not apparent. A woman's bosom, for example, must be covered, ie. no cleavage.
Some people who are strict in their interpretations of what is modest, will say that sheer clothing isn't allowed. But that's very obviously an opinion, not something that is explicitly forbidden anywhere.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Some of Queen Rania's older informal dresses.
Rania wore a lot of dresses with long coats while she was pregnant with Princess Salma in 2000, unlike her last pregnancy during which she chose to wear a lot of black tops and blouses with pants.

1. July 1999 - St. Tropez vacation
2. July 5, 1999 - Memorial for King Hussein in London's St. Paul Cathedral
3. April 2000 - State visit to Norway. Celine dress
4. June 2000 - Kuwait
5. May 2000 - New York

Old 07-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

more informal dresses

1. June 2001 - New York. Ralph Lauren dress
2. February 2001
3-4. February 14, 2001

Old 07-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Gentry

My heavens she's beautiful.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:53 AM
Commoner

I think that queen Rania has been developing her style and looking better as a result. However i still think that she could do much better. In my opinion she always has too much detailes, the belt, the scarf, and so and so at the same time. Instead of all that she could stick with something simple that could make an statement at the same time.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Nobility

I've got a question about the second dress she wore while in sweden in 2003, I think it was.

Now, I normally love Rania and her clothes and all of that, BUT...why on earth would she wear a dress that leaves her shoulders and arms bare when Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine all covered their arms and shoulders? (though Madde didn't really cover her shoulders...but I digress.) They were courteous enough to respect Rania's culture and not even Rania could? Or what? I am I just over analyzing it?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt
I've got a question about the second dress she wore while in sweden in 2003, I think it was.

Now, I normally love Rania and her clothes and all of that, BUT...why on earth would she wear a dress that leaves her shoulders and arms bare when Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine all covered their arms and shoulders? (though Madde didn't really cover her shoulders...but I digress.) They were courteous enough to respect Rania's culture and not even Rania could? Or what? I am I just over analyzing it?
she has worn a dress like this before. The fact that the Swedish royal women dressed appropriately was very considerate. But one cant lump all Muslim or Arab or even Jordanian women together. Some dress way more conservative than Rania while others wear clothing thats very revealing. Rania has her own style which isn't conservative but it isnt vulgar or revealing either. Cultures aren't monoliths. I doubt every woman in Sweden dresses the same.
I dont think Rania dresses to please others or to conform with conservative opinion. So I wouldnt say that her "culture" requires women to cover their arms and shoulders. There are plenty of Jordanian women who go around wearing sleeveless dresses just like there are those who wear the veil.
Infact the Swedish royals would be among the first to know that the JRF is very liberal in that regard.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:

no matter what is her culture or her religion , the important thing is to be under the spot and to has al the attention, she doesn’t represent Islam ort Arab world she represent style and fashion

And there does not come a moment when I do not look into the sky or indeed at anything beautiful and am not reminded of him whom I loved most in life and find a joy in the knowledge that .....he is finally reunited with Her whom I loved most
Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

oh please...no individual person decides who represents Muslims or Arabs or Jordan.
Just because Rania doesnt fit someone's view of how a Muslim woman should act, behave, and dress, and just because someone doesn't like her, doesnt mean she doesnt represent her country, her culture, her religion. If that wasnt true then the media wouldnt be talking to her about Islam, about Muslim/Arab women.
I dont see Rania drawing such lines. I dont see her claiming who specifically represents Islam. She doesnt judge those who dont dress like her.
Infact she goes out of her way to proclaim that she believes in choice.
Maybe thats a word some of you should familiarize yourselves with.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

It is possible that it is a little over-analyzing, maybe.

Perhaps the ladies did not consult each other to find out each others intentions on clothes that day?

I have to ask this because of some other posts I saw about QR clothes ---

Is consulting each other on wardrobe issues something that QR would do with the Queen or Princesses of Sweden or anywhere else? I know they would each have their own help in choosing what to wear...

Is it a total certainty about the intent of Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine when they dressed themselves that day? Is it just a mere assumption that they wore long sleeves for a particular reason?

Did QS (or PV or PM) ever complain about QR's dress?

I still do not understand what I think is undue attention on QR for her wardrobe.

I think the only way some people would feel inspired not to criticize her so much would be if she:

-she had a hump in her back
-or a wooden leg
-or always wore black potato cloths
-never showed her face or spoke in public ever again

I think since her husband does not seem to have a problem with her clothes, why should anyone else?

Just my opinion:)
Old 08-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
she has worn a dress like this before
she's worn revealing dresses before?so what?such explanations just dont fix
Quote:
anythingThere are plenty of Jordanian women who go around wearing sleeveless dresses
I just wonder why it cannot be understood that there're great diffrences between Rania and other muslim women.other women are living by their own and for their their own and never claim that they're representing isalmic world of women.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
oh please...no individual person decides who represents Muslims or Arabs or Jordan.
Just because Rania doesnt fit someone's view of how a Muslim woman should act, behave, and dress, and just because someone doesn't like her, doesnt mean she doesnt represent her country, her culture, her religion. If that wasnt true then the media wouldnt be talking to her about Islam, about Muslim/Arab women.
I dont see Rania drawing such lines. I dont see her claiming who specifically represents Islam. She doesnt judge those who dont dress like her.
Infact she goes out of her way to proclaim that she believes in choice.
Maybe thats a word some of you should familiarize yourselves with.
Makes perfect sense to me. :)

There are, however, sadly enough, some people who sincerely believe that women should not have real choices (though they themselves may never, ever admit to such a dreadful thing). And to them, if women should have choices, they should be be strictly limited.

Sad; dreadful actually -- but true.

I (very happy to say) was not raised to believe such unfortunate things and I am proud not to have such a narrow mind-set:)

I think QR does just fine:)

My opinion.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillia
It is possible that it is a little over-analyzing, maybe.
I though maybe I was just over analyzing it a bit. I just found it a bit..weird. I love the way Rania dresses, I just found her to look sort of out of place that night. didn't mean to cause a commotion.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_girl
she's worn revealing dresses before?so what?such explanations just dont fix
Its not an explanation. I meant that Rania has worn a dress with the top part of her shoulder exposed before. She certainly doesn't think its revealing. She doesnt have to "fix" anything just because you or others think so.
btw...take a look at all the dresses posted in this thread, none of them (with the exception of the off-the-shoulder dress she wore to Felipe and Letizia's pre-wedding gala) is revealing. Many of them are full or short sleeved. I dont consider baring one's arm indecent or "revealing" oneself, and neither do millions of other Muslim women like Rania out there. If I were to listen to everyone's personal opinion out there I'd have to go out wearing a burqah and so would Rania

Quote:
I just wonder why it cannot be understood that there're great diffrences between Rania and other muslim women.other women are living by their own and for their their own and never claim that they're representing isalmic world of women.
Maybe you should understand that there are more Muslim women like Rania out there than you realize. All of us live in different societies, some are conservative, some are liberal. You may have a certain perception of how a Muslim woman dresses but that doesnt mean that Rania or I or someone else will share your opinion. And we're certainly not obligated, socially, legally, or religiously, to listen to a stranger's dictates.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I though maybe I was just over analyzing it a bit. I just found it a bit..weird. I love the way Rania dresses, I just found her to look sort of out of place that night. didn't mean to cause a commotion.
No problem at all, really. :)

My response was mainly on other posts about QR's attire.
No hint at commotion intended, for sure.:p

Like you, I like how she puts herself together. I also think she carries herself well. I would be proud to have someone as smart and capable and as poised and articulate as QR as a role model to represent my country. :)
She's right in there with all the other royal ladies, as I think she should be. :p

But, there are certainly other opinions. Too bad those other people cannot be supportive of QR the way others seem to be supportive of HM Queen Elizabeth II, or CP Maxima or Mary, or HM Queen Sylvia, or Queen Margarethe or any of those others royal ladies. Just because Jordan is not a rich country (relative to say, Norway or Denmark or somewhere like that for example) it does not mean that people need expect QR to dress like a bumsham or go around with her head down, act mousey, or anything else unfit to her education or position.

To me, each of those ladies is very special, they are all just as regal...

It's a shame though that some see so fitting to always run QR down all the time for every reason under the sun...

Oh well...

Again, my opinion
Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Maybe you should understand that there are more Muslim women like Rania out there than you realize. All of us live in different societies, some are conservative, some are liberal. You may have a certain perception of how a Muslim woman dresses but that doesnt mean that Rania or I or someone else will share your opinion. And we're certainly not obligated, socially, legally, or religiously, to listen to a stranger's dictates.
your explanation just doesnt make sense,did I ever say that you or Rania should share my opinions? I personaly think that every woman who's living for her own and not ruling a society,who's paying her expenses and not spending her people's money should have her own choice.
consider there're poor jordanians who are paying for her dresses,she just cant take their money and not respect their opinions.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Heir Apparent

"consider there're poor jordanians who are paying for her dresses,she just cant take their money and not respect their opinions."

If she pays for the at all? More likely than not she doesn't. Secondly you have no evidence that she spends any taxpayers' money on her own personal clothing.

An Humera I completely agree with what you are saying. The Qur'an does not dictate what a woman should wear, just that she should dress modestly. It's upto the individual, to decide.

Tags
eveningwear, fashion, queen rania, rania