Queen Rania's Eveningwear Part 1: December 2003 - March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is something about Rania that I can`t put my fingure on. She is pretty and glamorous. However there is always something missing and I don`t quite know what. Sometimes I think maybe its the fact that she could look better and she doesn`t. It seems like shes always holding back and not letting herself to go all the way and look her best. Maybe its just her style or her stylists are simply not doing a great job. Anyhow, if I was her stylist i would do a complete makeover for her.

Just don't tell me you'd make her a blonde! ;) :p

"I agree that modesty is not only about clothing but clothing is a signficant factor."

I'll have to disagree modesty is a behavioural trait above anything else. It's easy to pick out the superficial aspects like clothing and portray them to be the most important. Some of the most vindictive, selfish and unkind women I've come across have been those who wear a hijba because they think the clothes are all that matters.

I also have to agree with Humera and Lillia, I can remember when Noor used to be constantly criticised for her clothes, appearance etc. The thing I find so hypocritical is that I've seen otherJRF women in strappy tops and dresses but nobodt dare say a bad word abotu them. Some people have such a double standard.

well, littlestar, we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

i mean, i agree, that clothing is not the determant factor in modesty -- and like you, i know a lot of women who wear hijabs and yet have completely different personalities. but maybe what i realy want to say is that queen rania should represent her country. maybe that's a better way to put it than modesty/immodesty. anyway, i know that you even disagree with this and that's okay -- maybe you guys even think i'm a prude for wanting rania to wear less revealing clothing?? :)

but yes, and i was not saying queen noor was perfect and i know that she was criticized for being extravagent -- but that's not what i was talking about. i was saying if she wore something as revealing as rania she would be chastised. and maybe i'm wrong about that too - humera has pointed out there may be some pics of noor in off the shoulder gowns. i'm just going off my own knowledge and since i haven't seen those pics, i'm just saying in my opinion there has been a double standard.

and there is also a double standard regarding other jrf women but i think this is irrelevant because these women are not queen.

anyway, i'll repeat what i said before - let's just agree to disagree :)

continuing with Rania's traditional dresses:
Dresses worn in 2000 (Pics from Gettyimages and Corbis)

The first black one must've been one of Rania's favourites....she wore it 4 or 5 times throughout 2000 and 2001

This one isnt really traditional but im posting it here anyway

Traditional dresses, 2001

May 25 - Independence day celebrations (Pics from Petra and Corbis)

1-2. January 19 - also worn in 2000 (Corbis)
3. May 16

This dress, I believe, looks the same as the one Rania wore in 1999. Except in the 2001 version, a yellow border has been added to the embroidery (Corbis):
1-2. 2001 version
3. 1999 version

Last edited:
"queen rania should represent her country. maybe that's a better way to put it than modesty/immodesty"

But what is Jordan? Countries aren't static objects, they're constantly evolving and changing. 2 different Jordanians could have 2 very different ideas of what their country is.

"maybe you guys even think i'm a prude for wanting rania to wear less revealing clothing?? :) "

What's revealing about it though? Horror of all horrors you can see a shoulder, the rest of her dress, which is full-length is actually quite loose becuase of the style. I certainly wouldn't class it as revealing.

"and there is also a double standard regarding other jrf women but i think this is irrelevant because these women are not queen. "

I'd diasgree. All of them are Royalty and to a certain degree they will all have public roles and will represent their country at functions and events.

Little_star said:
"I agree that modesty is not only about clothing but clothing is a signficant factor."

I'll have to disagree modesty is a behavioural trait above anything else. It's easy to pick out the superficial aspects like clothing and portray them to be the most important. Some of the most vindictive, selfish and unkind women I've come across have been those who wear a hijba because they think the clothes are all that matters.

I also have to agree with Humera and Lillia, I can remember when Noor used to be constantly criticised for her clothes, appearance etc. The thing I find so hypocritical is that I've seen otherJRF women in strappy tops and dresses but nobodt dare say a bad word abotu them. Some people have such a double standard.
Well put! I couldn't agree more with that.

QR is a beautiful lady - she happens to be photogenic too. Her husband happen to be King of Jordan. Why should anyone resent her for that??? Probably because those who are themselves negative and miserable do not want to see anyone else doing well.

She has a solid education and she cannot undo that fact for one second no matter what is going on in Jordan at the moment. And she is versatile and has universal appeal. :p

If I were from Jordan and of her own ancestry whatever the case, I would be so very proud to have somebody like her showing the world that a woman from Jordan is much more that a nobody. QR and QN both in some way give Jordanian woman an idea of what they themself can be if given the right chance too (so everyone cannot be the Queen, but ok, so what?!) -- yes alot more work needs to be done in the country, but they have to start somewhere. I think QR and QN deserve much respect for that. To me, they are wonderful -- and I hope they continue to dress up and travel around and talk to dignitaries and go shopping to buy jewelry and shake hands and visit America and EU and take vacation and do everything what they are doing for a very long time, critic or not:) :p

There is no amount of rolling in the dirt and dust or crying or suffering or personal deprivation that QR could do to change the situation in Jordan or the region, so those critics of her should just get over it! :cool:

and anyway, nobody will remember the particular mumbling of any one of those catty critic of her because they will fade into the dust like everything else not so interesting;)

Last edited:
Traditional dresses - 2002 (Pics from Petra, Seegerpress, Gettyimages, rexfeatures and a few magazine scans)

I just don't like the updo they did for the coronation. She looks like she's carrying a bee hive in that updo. Couldn't they have done a better job. Too much make up too. I have never liked this updo on her and don't think I've seen it on her again.

yes Im sure Rania herself cringes when she looks at photos of herself from that day. The hair and makeup was so not like her. The dress was beautiful though. I guess we can excuse that mistake because she had only just come under the spotlight as queen. Its safe to assume that she didnt have all the top stylists yet. And ofcourse it took her a while to develop that excellent sense of style.
btw..if you look at the video of the coronation Rania looks better than she does in the pictures of the event.

This dress is stunning, I dont think I've seen it before.

"I just don't like the updo they did for the coronation. She looks like she's carrying a bee hive in that updo. Couldn't they have done a better job. Too much make up too. I have never liked this updo on her and don't think I've seen it on her again."

I agree completely. I get the feeling that maybe she didn't get a choice in her make-up or hairstyle because it was all so different to her usual style.

"btw..if you look at the video of the coronation Rania looks better than she does in the pictures of the event."
That's true, she looks better in thelive footage, it's probably becuase of the natural light.

2002ars.jpg

0000377448-004.jpg

javascript:RampGroup_PopUp('/popup/...-ad3f-be5b96b5ecd5}','0000377431006',650,780)Is this the same outfit?

The first picture is a family portrait with Princess Salma, the second is from March 9th 2001

Traditional dresses - 2003
(pics from Petra and Gettyimages)

Last edited:
Those fashions are so nice -- and very colorful. Thanks for those pictures humera!:)

you're welcome Lillia:)

Traditional dresses - 2004
Pics from Petra, Gettyimages, & Abaca

A very pretty dress worn by Rania during the Nobel Laureates gala in Petra, May 18, 2005.
Unfortunately these are the only pics of the dress I've found so far.
From Deadline press

That is gorgeous, it looks a little bit like the dress she wore to the Arab Women's Summit in 2002, where she's photographed with Moroccan Royals.

Maybe it's just me,but I really think she should learn how to pose.She is beautiful,tall and skinny, so when she just puts her arm straight down by her side it makes her look like a stick!She is pretty but she needs to pose rather than just stand there.

the last dress Humera posted looks very similar to the one Rania wore to that dinner with Clinton and Sheik Muhammad (Haya's husband).

is it the same?

all of rania's thobes are so beautiful and unique. are they commonly worn in Jordan by the middle and upper classes? i.e. not the royal family but others?

polop said:
Maybe it's just me,but I really think she should learn how to pose.She is beautiful,tall and skinny, so when she just puts her arm straight down by her side it makes her look like a stick!She is pretty but she needs to pose rather than just stand there.
I don't know, she's under fire enough for her fashion savvy, I don't think her striking poses for the cameras would be too good of an idea! :)

Alicky said:
I don't know, she's under fire enough for her fashion savvy, I don't think her striking poses for the cameras would be too good of an idea! :)

I presonally don't agree with her choice of clothing,but I figured that she's going to dress that way no matter what,might as well "strike a pose":p

I agree with Alicky. Rania's a queen, not a model. Besides, in that last pic she's actually trying to either sit down or get up and talking to someone next to her. Its hard to see because I've modified the picture to focus on her dress.

madonna23 said:
the last dress Humera posted looks very similar to the one Rania wore to that dinner with Clinton and Sheik Muhammad (Haya's husband).

is it the same?

No actually I've never seen this last dress before.
But Im glad you mentioned the dress Rania wore in Dubai because I was about to post it. They do look quite similar.

January 17, 2002
(Pics from Petra, Gettyimages)

Last edited:
December 17, 2003. An Elie Saab dress. I dont have a better pic of the version Q.Rania's wearing
(pics from Petra & Gettyimages)

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I agree with Alicky. Rania's a queen, not a model. Besides, in that last pic she's actually trying to either sit down or get up and talking to someone next to her. Its hard to see because I've modified the picture to focus on her dress.

I understand,I was kidding.:)

Another Elie Saab dress worn in June 2003 for the Stars Foundation gala.
No full-length view of this dress on Rania unfortunately.
(Pics from Petra, Gettyimages, Abaca and Stars Found.website)

Last edited:
Once they modify those gowns to the royal standard of appropriateness, they look like totally different dresses don't they? Not that I'm saying the Queen should be wandering around in the original though lol!

you're right alicky - and i've noticed this with all royals, not just RAnia. the dress almost always looks better on the royal than the model. i don't know why --- maybe there's the added factor of dignity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom