Queen Rania's Eveningwear Part 1: December 2003 - March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GömdNatt said:
I've got a question about the second dress she wore while in sweden in 2003, I think it was.

Now, I normally love Rania and her clothes and all of that, BUT...why on earth would she wear a dress that leaves her shoulders and arms bare when Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine all covered their arms and shoulders? (though Madde didn't really cover her shoulders...but I digress.) They were courteous enough to respect Rania's culture and not even Rania could? Or what? I am I just over analyzing it?

no matter what is her culture or her religion , the important thing is to be under the spot and to has al the attention, she doesn’t represent Islam ort Arab world she represent style and fashion

Last edited by a moderator:
oh please...no individual person decides who represents Muslims or Arabs or Jordan.
Just because Rania doesnt fit someone's view of how a Muslim woman should act, behave, and dress, and just because someone doesn't like her, doesnt mean she doesnt represent her country, her culture, her religion. If that wasnt true then the media wouldnt be talking to her about Islam, about Muslim/Arab women.
I dont see Rania drawing such lines. I dont see her claiming who specifically represents Islam. She doesnt judge those who dont dress like her.
Infact she goes out of her way to proclaim that she believes in choice.
Maybe thats a word some of you should familiarize yourselves with.

GömdNatt said:
I've got a question about the second dress she wore while in sweden in 2003, I think it was.

Now, I normally love Rania and her clothes and all of that, BUT...why on earth would she wear a dress that leaves her shoulders and arms bare when Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine all covered their arms and shoulders? (though Madde didn't really cover her shoulders...but I digress.) They were courteous enough to respect Rania's culture and not even Rania could? Or what? I am I just over analyzing it?
It is possible that it is a little over-analyzing, maybe.

Perhaps the ladies did not consult each other to find out each others intentions on clothes that day? :rolleyes:

I have to ask this because of some other posts I saw about QR clothes ---

Is consulting each other on wardrobe issues something that QR would do with the Queen or Princesses of Sweden or anywhere else? I know they would each have their own help in choosing what to wear...

Is it a total certainty about the intent of Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine when they dressed themselves that day? Is it just a mere assumption that they wore long sleeves for a particular reason?

Did QS (or PV or PM) ever complain about QR's dress?

I still do not understand what I think is undue attention on QR for her wardrobe.

I think the only way some people would feel inspired not to criticize her so much would be if she:

-she had a hump in her back
-or a wooden leg
-or always wore black potato cloths
-never showed her face or spoke in public ever again

I think since her husband does not seem to have a problem with her clothes, why should anyone else?

Just my opinion:)

Last edited:
she has worn a dress like this before
she's worn revealing dresses before?so what?such explanations just dont fix
anythingThere are plenty of Jordanian women who go around wearing sleeveless dresses
I just wonder why it cannot be understood that there're great diffrences between Rania and other muslim women.other women are living by their own and for their their own and never claim that they're representing isalmic world of women.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
oh please...no individual person decides who represents Muslims or Arabs or Jordan.
Just because Rania doesnt fit someone's view of how a Muslim woman should act, behave, and dress, and just because someone doesn't like her, doesnt mean she doesnt represent her country, her culture, her religion. If that wasnt true then the media wouldnt be talking to her about Islam, about Muslim/Arab women.
I dont see Rania drawing such lines. I dont see her claiming who specifically represents Islam. She doesnt judge those who dont dress like her.
Infact she goes out of her way to proclaim that she believes in choice.
Maybe thats a word some of you should familiarize yourselves with.

Makes perfect sense to me. :)

There are, however, sadly enough, some people who sincerely believe that women should not have real choices (though they themselves may never, ever admit to such a dreadful thing). And to them, if women should have choices, they should be be strictly limited. :eek:

Sad; dreadful actually -- but true. :confused:

I (very happy to say) was not raised to believe such unfortunate things and I am proud not to have such a narrow mind-set:)

I think QR does just fine:)

My opinion.

Last edited:
Lillia said:
It is possible that it is a little over-analyzing, maybe.

I though maybe I was just over analyzing it a bit. I just found it a bit..weird. I love the way Rania dresses, I just found her to look sort of out of place that night. didn't mean to cause a commotion.

cute_girl said:
she's worn revealing dresses before?so what?such explanations just dont fix

Its not an explanation. I meant that Rania has worn a dress with the top part of her shoulder exposed before. She certainly doesn't think its revealing. She doesnt have to "fix" anything just because you or others think so.
btw...take a look at all the dresses posted in this thread, none of them (with the exception of the off-the-shoulder dress she wore to Felipe and Letizia's pre-wedding gala) is revealing. Many of them are full or short sleeved. I dont consider baring one's arm indecent or "revealing" oneself, and neither do millions of other Muslim women like Rania out there. If I were to listen to everyone's personal opinion out there I'd have to go out wearing a burqah and so would Rania:rolleyes:

I just wonder why it cannot be understood that there're great diffrences between Rania and other muslim women.other women are living by their own and for their their own and never claim that they're representing isalmic world of women.

Maybe you should understand that there are more Muslim women like Rania out there than you realize. All of us live in different societies, some are conservative, some are liberal. You may have a certain perception of how a Muslim woman dresses but that doesnt mean that Rania or I or someone else will share your opinion. And we're certainly not obligated, socially, legally, or religiously, to listen to a stranger's dictates.

GömdNatt said:
I though maybe I was just over analyzing it a bit. I just found it a bit..weird. I love the way Rania dresses, I just found her to look sort of out of place that night. didn't mean to cause a commotion.

No problem at all, really. :)

My response was mainly on other posts about QR's attire.
No hint at commotion intended, for sure.:p

Like you, I like how she puts herself together. I also think she carries herself well. I would be proud to have someone as smart and capable and as poised and articulate as QR as a role model to represent my country. :)
She's right in there with all the other royal ladies, as I think she should be. :p

But, there are certainly other opinions. Too bad those other people cannot be supportive of QR the way others seem to be supportive of HM Queen Elizabeth II, or CP Maxima or Mary, or HM Queen Sylvia, or Queen Margarethe or any of those others royal ladies. Just because Jordan is not a rich country (relative to say, Norway or Denmark or somewhere like that for example) it does not mean that people need expect QR to dress like a bumsham or go around with her head down, act mousey, or anything else unfit to her education or position.

To me, each of those ladies is very special, they are all just as regal...

It's a shame though that some see so fitting to always run QR down all the time for every reason under the sun...

Oh well...

Again, my opinion

Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
Maybe you should understand that there are more Muslim women like Rania out there than you realize. All of us live in different societies, some are conservative, some are liberal. You may have a certain perception of how a Muslim woman dresses but that doesnt mean that Rania or I or someone else will share your opinion. And we're certainly not obligated, socially, legally, or religiously, to listen to a stranger's dictates.
your explanation just doesnt make sense,did I ever say that you or Rania should share my opinions? I personaly think that every woman who's living for her own and not ruling a society,who's paying her expenses and not spending her people's money should have her own choice.
consider there're poor jordanians who are paying for her dresses,she just cant take their money and not respect their opinions.

"consider there're poor jordanians who are paying for her dresses,she just cant take their money and not respect their opinions."

If she pays for the at all? More likely than not she doesn't. Secondly you have no evidence that she spends any taxpayers' money on her own personal clothing.

An Humera I completely agree with what you are saying. The Qur'an does not dictate what a woman should wear, just that she should dress modestly. It's upto the individual, to decide.

cute_girl said:
your explanation just doesnt make sense,did I ever say that you or Rania should share my opinions? I personaly think that every woman who's living for her own and not ruling a society,who's paying her expenses and not spending her people's money should have her own choice.
consider there're poor jordanians who are paying for her dresses,she just cant take their money and not respect their opinions.

thank u this is what am tying to say, BTW i don't hate her i used to like her before when she was a princess as i didn't know who really she is , i though as a Palestinian queen she would do something to us visit her home land and make the Palestinian children feel better , instead of visiting American schools to make attention there , to say ( ohh you don't know me look how much style and beautiful i am , oh and BTW i am from Jordan and Muslim if this is matter to know)and if you asking from where i got all this money and clothes don't worry my people will always do his best to afford my expenses)

this is the message that she will kill her self to deliver , but what about her role as a queen if she want to do her choice then she should quite and pay her bill:mad:

Last edited:
cute_girl said:

are you Jordanian? If not then why are you concerned?
There are plenty of Jordanians on this board who have no problem with the way Rania dresses.
If we follow your logic, many of the royals around the world will have to poll their citizens as to what they should wear:rolleyes:
Taxpayers pay for their governments in all countries. I guess I should tell my prime minister what he should wear too since I pay taxes.

On some of the pictures Rania looks so thin !! That's really worrysome !!!

She is quite thin, she reminds me of a prettier, more exotic Middle Eastern Audrey Hepburn. Especially when her brows were thicker. ;)

suria said:
thank u this is what am tying to say, BTW i don't hate her i used to like her before when she was a princess as i didn't know who really she is , i though as a Palestinian queen she would do something to us visit her home land and make the Palestinian children feel better , instead of visiting American schools to make attention there , to say ( ohh you don't know me look how much style and beautiful i am , oh and BTW i am from Jordan and Muslim if this is matter to know)and if you asking from where i got all this money and clothes don't worry my people will always do his best to afford my expenses)

this is the message that she will kill her self to deliver , but what about her role as a queen if she want to do her choice then she should quite and pay her bill:mad:
I wonder this about your statement: do you have anything printed or any such proof that she is saying or thinking such things when she visits American schools? And do you know for certain that the thing that she will 'kill herself to deliver' is the message on how she looks?

And I havee to ask; who pays her bills for her? If you found it was her husband, what else would you find to be mad about on her?

If she were such a horror, why has her husband, the King of Jordan, been with her for so long/

And ultimately, if she were so bad in her behavior and only thinking of herself --- as if you would really know any of that, which I think you do not --- how are you or anyone else to be the ultimate judge over her?

You're not over analysing it. She was trying to prove that she could be something, which she is not. In turn she insulted her own heritage and her gracious Hosts. Although I accept that that mightn't have been what she intended.

GömdNatt said:

Right.
Like the Swedish royals have never seen an exposed shoulder.
What a scandal!:rolleyes:
I wonder how the JRF will cope with this diplomatic faux pas.

well, my opinion on the matter is this --- we have to judge queen rania the same way we would any muslim queen and the best muslim queen standard is queen noor. i say this because she is a foreigner who converted to Islam and because she looks visibly Western. so obviously queen noor had to be very careful in her clothing so as to fit in and not offend anyone either in jordan or in the mid east or in the larger Islamic world of all which she represented to the West.

so basically, my question is this: did queen noor ever wear such dresses as Rania? did queen noor ever expose her shoulders (such as the versailles gala dress and the swedish state visit) or did she wear a strapless dress (such as the spanish dinner dress)?

I use queen noor as my standard not because she was perfect (no one is perfect :) ) but because she was required to follow Islamic customs. If we saw queen noor in rania's swedish dress, then i think that there would have been an uproar. and that proves that a Muslim queen should not be wearing such dresses. whether rania wants to wear the dress or not is not the point -- she can wear the dress to whatever event she wants so long as it is private and she is not presented as a representative of Jordan. but for public events, i think she must represent her country and frankly speaking, some of her dresses represent Italy and France better than they do Jordan. I'm not saying she must wear a veil or even a thobe all the time. I think if you look at pics from 2000 and 2001 she wears some fantastic gala dresses that are very stylish but at the same time appropriate.

some folks have pointed out that some jordanian women wear dresses such as rania but this is only some jordanian women. some jordanian women wear head to toe coverings; and i'm sure some jordanian women wear mini skirts and halter tops. but a queen's job is to find the middle ground and represent most of her country.

of course we want a modern image coming from rania but modernity and modesty are not mutually exclusive. like i said before, she's worn some fantastic dresses that were modern and yet still modest.

so yes, this is my two cents worth. for me, whenever rania is defended for wearing something revealing, i can't help but think what a double standard there is. if queen noor were to wear the same thing she would be criticized non-stop. just because queen rania is a Muslim and arab born does not mean she has an excuse to wear whatever she wants. she has to play the game the way queen noor did and respect her country's values and principles.

oh, by the way, humera i just love your avators. you change them frequently but each time you pick such interesting and beautiful ones :)

"so yes, this is my two cents worth. for me, whenever rania is defended for wearing something revealing, i can't help but think what a double standard there is. if queen noor were to wear the same thing she would be criticized non-stop."

If I've defended Rania in the past I'd do the same for Noor becuase at the end of the day i believe in personal choice. Not conforming to somebody else's views. After all you cannot pleease all the people all the time. A lesson Noor and Rania have learnt.

Moreover modesty is about more than just clothing. Although it's the only thing that many muslims seem to care about.

If Rania were to attend international galasin plain simple dresses I can guarantee the same people woh criticise her now would say she is poorly dressd and not representing her country properly.

Little Star I'm not saying she has to wear plain dresses. I love the dresses she wore for Britain's state visit for example and they were not plain. they were still modest though in the sense that they were not revealing.

I agree that modesty is not only about clothing but clothing is a signficant factor. Anyway, in my opinion, i don't care whether queen rania is modest or not --- that's something that deals with her and her alone. but i thiink that as a public figure, a price she has to pay is to represent her country. Unfortunately, that's a price that she has not paid yet.

madonna23 said:
well, my opinion on the matter is this --- we have to judge queen rania the same way we would any muslim queen and the best muslim queen standard is queen noor. i say this because she is a foreigner who converted to Islam and because she looks visibly Western. so obviously queen noor had to be very careful in her clothing so as to fit in and not offend anyone either in jordan or in the mid east or in the larger Islamic world of all which she represented to the West.

so basically, my question is this: did queen noor ever wear such dresses as Rania? did queen noor ever expose her shoulders (such as the versailles gala dress and the swedish state visit) or did she wear a strapless dress (such as the spanish dinner dress)?

I use queen noor as my standard not because she was perfect (no one is perfect :) ) but because she was required to follow Islamic customs. If we saw queen noor in rania's swedish dress, then i think that there would have been an uproar. and that proves that a Muslim queen should not be wearing such dresses. whether rania wants to wear the dress or not is not the point -- she can wear the dress to whatever event she wants so long as it is private and she is not presented as a representative of Jordan. but for public events, i think she must represent her country and frankly speaking, some of her dresses represent Italy and France better than they do Jordan. I'm not saying she must wear a veil or even a thobe all the time. I think if you look at pics from 2000 and 2001 she wears some fantastic gala dresses that are very stylish but at the same time appropriate.

some folks have pointed out that some jordanian women wear dresses such as rania but this is only some jordanian women. some jordanian women wear head to toe coverings; and i'm sure some jordanian women wear mini skirts and halter tops. but a queen's job is to find the middle ground and represent most of her country.

of course we want a modern image coming from rania but modernity and modesty are not mutually exclusive. like i said before, she's worn some fantastic dresses that were modern and yet still modest.

so yes, this is my two cents worth. for me, whenever rania is defended for wearing something revealing, i can't help but think what a double standard there is. if queen noor were to wear the same thing she would be criticized non-stop. just because queen rania is a Muslim and arab born does not mean she has an excuse to wear whatever she wants. she has to play the game the way queen noor did and respect her country's values and principles.

as I recall, alot of people tried to run down QN as well. :)

When she put a website, they started saying 'She's trying to be famous and more than her husband." "She's trying to be in front promoting her causes, she has alot of nerves..."

If she went on a state tour it became: "She is not from the region, who does she think she is..." "She's too much in front of the cameras, that's not muslim." 'She's travelling too much, spending the people's money, she's greedy..."

When she visited other royalty w/KH, they said "Why is taking vacations when there are people who cannot even afford to go to school" "She thinks she's beautiful, she's always trying to act like she's pretty." "Her clothes are too fancy, she should wear darker outfits" "Noor is always taking pictures, why does she take so many pictures, she's trying to become famous, she has no right..." "She gave a speech in public, she's acting like she has ambition, she's a horror.""She's trying to prove she can be something more, she has no right and who does she think she is..."

And so on and on and on and on and on...

Until one day her husband passed away, then all the noise seemed to stop for a moment...

If there were no muslim royal family in Jordan or anywhere else, and let that would be the end of it, then maybe people would be more appreciative.:rolleyes:

Certainly no matter who was Queen, I'm positive that there would be people who would make such bad comments about her no matter what she did or where she came from -- unless she buried herself in a hole in the ground :).

Seems very judgemental, in my opinion. I wonder whom shall make the final judgement on QN and on QR for their actions? I wonder which person will make the final judgement on them? I wonder how these critics live their lives; perhaps they themselves are better than anyone else in the world? :) ;)

I wonder to whom QR is ultimately accountable for such unimaginable dastardly deeds -- showing the top of her shoulder, having an strong education, wearing a swimsuit, speaking in public, taking a vacation with her family? And whose business is it anyway?:p

Where is her husband while QR has been doing all these hideous acts and crimes against humanity? Certainly he more than anyone should understand how truly awful and un-godly a woman QR really is, right????!!???:cool:

He certainly would know more about her than any of the people who talk down about her on these boards, right? :D

Certainly it will not be me to judge her.;)

I guess when you give the world your best, you have to realize that it may never be enough...

my opinion

Last edited:
I agree Lillia. Noor was criticized from the beginning, for her clothing, jewels. The criticism, most of it anyway, has vanished, like you said, because her husband's dead, because she's not that prominent in Jordan anymore, she's not the Queen consort. Part of it is also the fact that I think that she did learn from the criticism, maybe because she's older. I guess when a woman is young and beautiful there's a bigger temptation to indulge. Also at that age some of us tend not to pay too much attention to critics.
Rania has been queen for a relatively short period of time. Maybe the novelty of her title, position, and wealth lead her to indulge more than she would have. I think the same thing happened to Queen Noor in her early days. In that respect the two women might be more similar than we think. So it would be unfair to pretend like Rania is the only woman to act this way.

ooh btw madonna I have seen pics of Noor in a sort of off the shoulder top. I can show them to you if you like. And thanx for the comment about my avatars:)

Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
I agree Lillia. Noor was criticized from the beginning, for her clothing, jewels. The criticism, most of it anyway, has vanished, like you said, because her husband's dead, because she's not that prominent in Jordan anymore, she's not the Queen consort. Part of it is also the fact that I think that she did learn from the criticism, maybe because she's older. I guess when a woman is young and beautiful there's a bigger temptation to indulge. Also at that age some of us tend not to pay too much attention to critics.
Rania has been queen for a relatively short period of time. Maybe the novelty of her title, position, and wealth lead her to indulge more than she would have. I think the same thing happened to Queen Noor in her early days. In that respect the two women might be more similar than we think. So it would be unfair to pretend like Rania is the only woman to act this way.

ooh btw madonna I have seen pics of Noor in a sort of off the shoulder top. I can show them to you if you like. And thanx for the comment about my avatars:)

I agree Humera -- Queen Noor and Queen Rania have both been criticized for every single thing under the sun:

-yes, her clothes, jewelry and such

-- but also Queen Noor for being blonde, not being born in the region, being tall, speaking with an american accent, wearing lip color, daring to talk without asking her husband for his permission first, smiling in public and showing her teeth, giving an interview, taking a picture, saying positive things about her son, wearing heels, wearing pants, talking to foreign dignitaries, going to the store to buy anything, shaking hands with the president -- the sheer stupidity of criticism went on and on and on and on and on...

Every step for her, the critics say always something or something else. It's almost like they wanted to see her at loss and suffering...

I think those critical of QN and QR are engaging in a form of self-hatred. :D

It's also alot easier to tear someone else down by making stupid accusations about how they don't respect their culture and how they are not so-called 'modest' or 'religious' enough (not like the critic would ever know) than to look in the mirror and change one-self. :rolleyes:

I also like Queen Noor and Queen Rania alot. I think they are doing fine. :p
I think they are very elegant, have excellent taste and I love to see them making speeches. :)

my opinion

Last edited:
Lillia said:
I think those critical of QN and QR are engaging in a form of self-hatred. :D

It's also alot easier to tear someone else down by making stupid accusations about how they don't respect their culture and how they are not so-called 'modest' or 'religious' enough (not like the critic would ever know) than to look in the mirror and change one-self. :rolleyes:

I think that's very true. And hiding behind culture and religion is an excuse for such people to malign others. Eventhough, like I've said before, no single individual has the right to pretend that they're the sole spokesperson for their culture or faith and use that to run others down.

June 1999 - the dress Rania wore to King Abdullah's investiture
(From Crobis)

Traditional dresses, 1999
(From Corbis)

Portraits

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I think that's very true. And hiding behind culture and religion is an excuse for such people to malign others. Eventhough, like I've said before, no single individual has the right to pretend that they're the sole spokesperson for their culture or faith and use that to run others down.

Brava. Well put.:)

I agree, and likewise, Queen Rania is just as much a diplomatic representative for her country as any other Queen anywhere else. It would be ridiculous for example to say that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of England (example only) is the sole spokesperson for all British everywhere and that she represents everyone of the protestant faith. Or Hilary Clinton or Condolezza Rice represents all american women, or CP Maxima represents all dutch women in the world or to go thinking CP Letezia speaks and dresses like every woman of spanish extraction who belongs to catholic faith (I use them as example only, one can name any number of women out there.):)

I really like HMQEII alot too and so do many, many British and others all over the world. She is a wonderful lady. And most gracious and charming, I am certain.:p

I know this thread is not about HMQEII and those other ladies, so I will get back to Queen Rania --

Humera -- the picture of QR in that dress w/the tiara above is absolutely wonderful. :)

I think she looks very regal and elegant and beautiful!:) :p

Last edited:
I always liked the one in the last two. I thought the ones in the above link looked kind of bulky and stiff, not Rania at all. My favorite gown of hers is still the coronation gown. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom