The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
Well here's the skirt everyone's talking about.
I recall someone mentioning that one of the Spanish designers picked Rania as the best dressed at CP Felipe's wedding. Some people have said that Rania broke protocol by wearing a long skirt. But she apparently wore it especially to add a Spanish flair to her outfit, which was a very thoughtful touch on her part I think.

I wouldn't be surprised, I thought she looked amazing. I liked everything about her look.I didn't care for the dress she wore at the pre-wedding reception, but she "made up" for it.

PS. Thank you for all the pictures Humera.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Well here's the skirt everyone's talking about.
I recall someone mentioning that one of the Spanish designers picked Rania as the best dressed at CP Felipe's wedding. Some people have said that Rania broke protocol by wearing a long skirt. But she apparently wore it especially to add a Spanish flair to her outfit, which was a very thoughtful touch on her part I think.
why wearing long skirt is breaking protocal? don't get it.

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 06-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
well you know how royal events like this have requirements about what sort of clothing men and women wear, like at the wedding of CP Frederik of Denmark all the women wore tiaras and formal gowns. But at the wedding of CP Felipe the requirement was to wear hats and dresses/skirts that were around knee-length. And Rania wore a long skirt.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Rania wasn't the only one woman who wore long skirt at Felipe's wedding.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
well you know how royal events like this have requirements about what sort of clothing men and women wear, like at the wedding of CP Frederik of Denmark all the women wore tiaras and formal gowns. But at the wedding of CP Felipe the requirement was to wear hats and dresses/skirts that were around knee-length. And Rania wore a long skirt.
I think Rania's outfit at the Spanish wedding was beautiful -- the embroidery was so exquisite and detailed, but I think it was inappropriate for the Spanish royal wedding. Not only did the dress code require a knee-length dress or skirt and jacket, but also a hat -- even some half-attempt at a hat as Mette-Marit of Norway usually does. Rania's outfit fulfilled none of these requirements. Even the Spanish royals who do not commonly wear hats, donned hats on this occasion. It seems that Rania went ahead with her own notions of how to dress for the Spanish royal wedding, and as beautiful as her outfit was, it was disrespectful to Felipe and Letizia, the King and Queen of Spain and the protocol requested for the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilah
Rania wasn't the only one woman who wore long skirt at Felipe's wedding.
The only other woman whom I can think of who wore a long, to the floor-length skirt or dress at the wedding was Queen Sofia, and given that she's the groom's mother and the first lady of the country, I think that that is an exception that can be made. But for Rania, even as a Queen herself, to break the dress code protcol to me is a sign of disrespect. Queen Sofia wouldn't show up at a place of worship in Jordan and not cover her hair, so why should Rania be able to dictate what she wants to wear at a wedding held in Spain?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
After the jordanian wedding it was written in Norwegian press that Queen Ranias dress was from Dominique Sirop. Queen Sonja has this dress from Sirop, and you can see the similarities in the choice of fabric.

actually the dress worn by rania wasn't by elie saab,nor by dominique sirop,but it was by Givenchy collection SS2004,and i'm sure about my information:)
Old 06-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

European royal weddings tend to have more protocol and requirements in general, there's a cultural difference there too. But Im not saying that excuses someone breaking protocol. As for hats, Rania has never worn them. Women in the ME generally dont wear them, like in many other parts of the world. Some ME royal women do wear them ofcourse when they're in Europe (Noor, Haya etc).

Princess Sarvath, for example, wears saris a lot, even to European weddings (she attends a lot of them). She never wears short skirts. Thats because Muslim women in South Asia, and even most Hindu and Christian women in the region, dont bare their legs. That does not mean that Princess Sarvath disrespects her guests. Im sure royal hosts are sensitive to cultural differences like that.
Now Rania doesnt have that excuse because she does wear short skirts. Who knows what she was thinking. Im sure the last thing on her mind was to offend someone, or she wouldn't have worn the skirt with the spanish look.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Courtier

Actually rania used to break protocol in many occasions!,in favour of being the centre of attentions as she seems to like!
I agree what been said by alexandria,of course there's no doubt that the skirt was very beautiful and rania did a fashion hit,but it was very inapropriate for the occasion.
The first "faux pas" was the white silver dress of Sirop worn by rania in the preweeding gala,the second that skirt by givenchy,it's too much for one wedding!
As I know a few about the ME culture,the guests(women) are viewed disrespectful towards the bride if they wear something similar to the bridal dress or try to outshine her,this is the case of rania,as she's originally palestinian,she should know that,but it seems that rania is an egocentric person who likes cameras and likes to be "the star",even by disrespecting her hotes and her religieon and the people that she's supposed representing!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
thanks Humera. :) i was thinking if it's a common protocal that only the bride is supposed to wear a long dress at weddings before, hoho.
as for the long dress Rania wore, maybe the Spanish royals made an exception for her to show their respect for her culture?

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 06-29-2005, 07:19 AM
Heir Apparent

"As I know a few about the ME culture,the guests(women) are viewed disrespectful towards the bride if they wear something similar to the bridal dress or try to outshine her,this is the case of rania"

How exactly did she outshine Letizia? She may have broken protocol, but her skirt was nothing like Letizia's wedding dress!

"The first "faux pas" was the white silver dress of Sirop worn by rania in the preweeding gala"
What was wrong with the silver dress?

"disrespecting her hotes and her religieon and the people that she's supposed representing!"
How did she disrespect islam?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
maybe the Spanish royals made an exception for her to show their respect for her culture?
she's had shown her legs before and even she 's seen in swimsuit,so that cant be an excuse,I agree with monalisa I think she did it to bring more attention to her and well she succeeded.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"As I know a few about the ME culture,the guests(women) are viewed disrespectful towards the bride if they wear something similar to the bridal dress or try to outshine her,this is the case of rania"
How exactly did she outshine Letizia? She may have broken protocol, but her skirt was nothing like Letizia's wedding dress!"
usually women guests are asked not to wear dresses with same color as the bride.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
European royal weddings tend to have more protocol and requirements in general, there's a cultural difference there too. But Im not saying that excuses someone breaking protocol. As for hats, Rania has never worn them. Women in the ME generally dont wear them, like in many other parts of the world. Some ME royal women do wear them ofcourse when they're in Europe (Noor, Haya etc).
Even if Rania does not wear hats, she could've done what Noor did, which was to cover her head, and I know that Rania has done that before. In European churches, hats are expected, and even Queen Sofia who hardly ever wears hats does don them on certain occasions when protocol dictates it, as she did for Willem and Maxima's wedding in 2002.

Quote:
Princess Sarvath, for example, wears saris a lot, even to European weddings (she attends a lot of them). She never wears short skirts. Thats because Muslim women in South Asia, and even most Hindu and Christian women in the region, dont bare their legs. That does not mean that Princess Sarvath disrespects her guests. Im sure royal hosts are sensitive to cultural differences like that.
I think that wearing a sari or something that represents your culture to a wedding is different than completely defying the dress code. I respect the fact that Sarvath doesn't wear outfits that bear her legs because of her culture and religion, but as pointed out Rania does not share this same belief and would've not had such an excuse for wearing a knee-length skirt or dress.

Quote:
. Who knows what she was thinking. Im sure the last thing on her mind was to offend someone, or she wouldn't have worn the skirt with the spanish look.
I can't understand why if the other Jordanian and European guests understood the dress code Rania would not. Or why those at the Jordanian royal court would not have advised against such an outfit.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Courtier

None of the Jordanian guests wore a hat.
And there do not exist any religious reasons to wear a hat in a catholic church.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Courtier

apart from the dress wearing inappropriatly I didnt like the top ,a blouse with a folded up sleeves and buttons of the collars being open is very informal.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Gentry

Have you all notived that Rania is starting to RECYCLE her outfits. hehehehe I wonder if she realized ALL the crticisim and has changed her ways???? She has done it a LOT lately. :)
Old 06-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Even if Rania does not wear hats, she could've done what Noor did, which was to cover her head, and I know that Rania has done that before. In European churches, hats are expected, and even Queen Sofia who hardly ever wears hats does don them on certain occasions when protocol dictates it, as she did for Willem and Maxima's wedding in 2002.

Yes I understand all of what you're saying Alexandria and have obviously have no explanation as to why Rania would chose to break protocol.
But as for the hat issue, I think that as Veram98 pointed out, there is no requirement for one to wear a hat in a Catholic church. If Rania had covered her hair like Queen Noor it would've been better but still its not breaking "religious" protocol. When Rania covered her hair before in a church it was for a memorial service for King Hussein in London. For a wedding like CP Felipe's, wearing a hat is more part of the dress code for the wedding than a religious requirement. If it had been, im sure Rania would've worn a veil.
Queen Noor is an exception I think because she always covers her hair in a church, even when other ladies aren't wearing hats (like the wedding of Alexia of Greece where many women, including Queen Sofia, didnt wear hats)
Old 06-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki
Have you all notived that Rania is starting to RECYCLE her outfits. hehehehe I wonder if she realized ALL the crticisim and has changed her ways???? She has done it a LOT lately. :)
I've noticed that too and I think, as someone else noted in this thread, that its all part of her growing up and maturing. Im sure dressing up in all the clothing was fun at first but it can be pretty boring as a hobby. I sensed a change in Rania's attitude in her last interview. She sounded very different, someone who wasnt as pre-occupied with her physical appearance. She said she wasn't in a hurry to lose all her pregnancy weight (and she hasnt lost all of it as we've seen from recent pics) and that she wasn't as comfortable attending state events/banquets. When Rania became Queen she was in her 20's and now she's over 30. That's got to account for a change in perspective. Ofcourse no one believes that she'll stop wearing designer clothing but she has toned down her choices quite a bit. The outfits she has been wearing since giving birth to P. Hashim are more simpler. And as you say, she has been recycling them more rapidly. There was one outfit that she wore three times within a week last month.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Queen Rania's tie-dye Prada dresses

1. February 25, 2004 - Qatar
2. April 7, 2004 - Dubai
3. July 21, 2004

Old 06-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

Cool, the same dress but in theer different colour.

Thanks, still posting Humera is amaizing.

Tags
eveningwear, fashion, queen rania, rania