Queen Rania's Daytime Fashion Part 2: August 2007 - October 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you care to elaborate with what you mean by "media magnet". The Global Report Initiative for example is hardly what I would call a media event. The coverage has actually been pretty low-key with few photos available. The only other big international event that springs to mind if the WEF, but as a foundation board member her attendance is to be expected and possibly even required. It's become a well-respected event in its own right and to refer to it as a "media magnet" is under-estimating it greatly imo.

You're looking at recent events, and then only conferences. I'm looking at the whole range of activities she has done abroad over the last nine years. In New York last year she attended the costume ball – an enormously well-covered event. In California she attended the women's conference that also received big coverage. She routinely goes to gala dinners and events to accept awards. As for the WEF, it can be both a well-respected conference and a media event that draws people not just because of the seriousness of its work but because of the media attention it brings to its participants.

She has and does often carry out multiple events on the same day, usually in Jordan, as was the case fairly recently when she attended 2 different events on the same day. Moreover IMRIC during her trip to China she also carried out a variety of different activities on the same day.

I hardly consider two events in one day a strenuous day. Princess Anne covers four on an almost daily basis, not a few times a week. China was a rare trip when she actually got out there and did something. Her normal pattern when she travels to the U.S. or Europe is to do few engagements.

I guess you've missed her solo trip to Pakistan to visit earthquake victims she was one of the first high profile figures to make such a trip; the King was the first. Bam in Iran to visit the refugees from the earthquake there. She also visited refugee camps in Kosovo, just one day after becoming Queen, this doesn't include a trip she made to Bosnia. As well as undertaking trips to India and South Africa as part of her role as UNICEF Eminent Advocate for Children; neither country is known internationally for being "glamorous".

Her trip to Pakistan is an example of what I mean by going to where the media coverage is. That tragedy dominated the international news and she ensured herself coverage by going in person. I don't recall the trip to Bam. You're right about Kosovo and Bosnia but she hasn't done anything like that since then. If she had kept that up over the last nine years, then I would agree with you wholeheartedly. But she hasn't. Her UNICEF role does get her out a little bit more but here the issue isn't glamour but media. India is quickly becoming an important country on the world stage and South Africa has a strong international profile as well. If she had made trips to the interior of Africa – to countries few have heard of – or even Latin America, then I would agree with your underlying point.

We must have different ideas of what "a while" consitutues as she never seem to have a break of more than a week or so (if that!). It seems that in the average week she will have at least 2 to 3 engagements and that appears to be the norm.

A week is too long for her not to be doing public engagements, and two to three engagements a week is too little when she is working. Princess Anne can do three in one day.

Three? There was a trip to Austria skiing and a private visit to London but I'm not aware of any others. The London trips don't really count (imo) as they are not always for pleasure. There have been private trips in the past where it has later emerged that the Queen did participate in some sort of official duty.

She went to France for week in March, just after Mother's Day in Jordan. A picture from that trip was posted on The Royal Forums. And I do count the trips to London because an overwhelming share of them are personal. She rarely does engagements in London anymore.

In the coming month she has a trip to Brunei, a major conference in Jordan as well as the WEF in the Middle East in Egypt. June sees the Petra Nobel Laureates Conference which is a big event for Jordan.

May tends to be a busy month for the Jordanian royals due to the WEF. This is what I would prefer to see a typical month look like, but only with far more activities in Jordan than outside of it.

Moreover the summer months are a seen as a "holiday" for the vast majority of Royals and politicians alike. Hence the numerous photos of the Spanish Royals in Mallorca or the Danish Royals in Caix. Here in the UK, Parliament has a 76 day holiday during the course of August and September.

Just because Parliament is in recess doesn't mean the politicians aren't working. They will spend that "down time" going to events in their constituencies to make sure voters remember who they are. Other royals do take vacation in the summer but they also keep working like the rest of us mortals. They don't take the whole summer off. Not even Queen Elizabeth II. She might be in Scotland but she must deal with official papers every day.

In past interviews she has actually said that most of her clothes are free from designers or borrowed items (I think that was in reference to evening dress specifically) so the suggestion that she is spending her free time buying clothes would seem to be grossly inaccurate.

I bet you she still does a lot of shopping. And I wonder if her comment isn't a little self serving when it comes to the issue of cost. I'm sure some of her evening gowns are freebies but I'm skeptical about her day clothes.

In conclusion, I respect your opinions about Rania but I must respectfully disagree with them.

P.S. I don't know how to do the individual quotes so I have bolded my comments as they appear within the larger quote.

Last edited:
Unless you go shopping with Her Majesty or have an access to Her Majesty's personal expense information, you can not state that Queen Rania devotes a lot of time to shopping. Generally speaking, all women like to shop and there is nothing wrong with it. We do not know what exactly Queen Rania does during "those long absences from the public view". Of course, you are entitiled to your opinion, but it is wrong to pass categorical judgments about the person without factoring in all the details. I dare to say that there are many details we are unaware of.

Adamari said:
I'm looking at the whole range of activities she has done abroad over the last nine years. In New York last year she attended the costume ball – an enormously well-covered event
As far as I'm aware she attended that particular event in a private capacity. Moreover several different papers at the time reported that unlike the vast majority of guests she chose to use the back entrance because (imo) it seems as though she would rather her presence had gone unnoticed.

Adamari said:
In California she attended the women's conference that also received big coverage. She routinely goes to gala dinners and events to accept awards
She attended the Global Leadership awards which is a UN linked organisation, it's not as though she was attending the Oscars. Moreover the Women's Conference attracted figures such as Tony Blair, Mohammed Yunus and Thomas Friedman, so it wasn't a purely glitzy event by any stretch of the imagination.

Adamari said:
I hardly consider two events in one day a strenuous day. Princess Anne covers four on an almost daily basis, not a few times a week.
You previously said that she doesn't undertake multiple events and I pointed out that this is not true. She can and does.

Adamari said:
China was a rare trip when she actually got out there and did something. Her normal pattern when she travels to the U.S. or Europe is to do few engagements.
It may have seemed rare to you, but I can think of at least three or four other international visits that were just as hectic, including the state visit to the Netherlands (when she had her foot injury), as well as trips to Turkey, Greece and Italy.

Adamari said:
Her trip to Pakistan is an example of what I mean by going to where the media coverage is. That tragedy dominated the international news and she ensured herself coverage by going in person.
She went as part of her work for UNICEF, she wasn't ensuring media coverage for herself but for UNICEF.

Adamari said:
Her UNICEF role does get her out a little bit more but here the issue isn't glamour but media. India is quickly becoming an important country on the world stage and South Africa has a strong international profile as well. If she had made trips to the interior of Africa – to countries few have heard of – or even Latin America, then I would agree with your underlying point.
Considering the fact that the Jordanian Royal Family do not seem to have any major links with any Latin American countries I would be very surprised to see Rania on a trip there. A pleasant surprise, but one nonetheless.

The country's sphere of influence is the Middle East and other muslim countries which imo is why you are far more likely to see her on a trip to Morocco or Lebanon than Nigeria or Zimbabwe.

Adamari said:
A week is too long for her not to be doing public engagements, and two to three engagements a week is too little when she is working. Princess Anne can do three in one day
I said a week as an example, it's usually less than that. Moreover you are assuming that the time she is not seen in public is purely leisure. I highly doubt that she's sat around filing her nails in the interim, particularly as she does have so many patronages and causes, both nationally and internationally.

Adamari said:
She went to France for week in March, just after Mother's Day in Jordan. A picture from that trip was posted on The Royal Forums. And I do count the trips to London because an overwhelming share of them are personal. She rarely does engagements in London anymore.
I had actually forgotten about the France trip, thank you for reminding me. To be honest I was surprised by that because usually the JRF do not have so many holidays nor so close together. At the time I did wonder whether something else was up.

I can recall at least 2 trips to London where official work has taken place, 1 was a dinner for Arab women and another was some sort of seimnar.

Adamari said:
May tends to be a busy month for the Jordanian royals due to the WEF. This is what I would prefer to see a typical month look like, but only with far more activities in Jordan than outside of it.
Well since January she has had trips to Morocco, the US, the UAE, France, Austria, Slovenia, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan, the Netherlands, as well as hosting the Portuguese President and his wife, the IOC conference and Rania has launched the Madrasati Initiative which has resulted in quite a few trips in and around Jordan. Plus there was the Distinguished Teacher's award and various hospital visits.

Adamari said:
Just because Parliament is in recess doesn't mean the politicians aren't working. They will spend that "down time" going to events in their constituencies to make sure voters remember who they are.
I cannot comment on Canada but here in the UK, the 76 day recess is notorious because that is precisely what many MP's do not do. I was pointing out that the summer months are quitet generally speaking; it is not as though the JRF are the only royal family to be out of the spotlight.

Adamari said:
Other royals do take vacation in the summer but they also keep working like the rest of us mortals. They don't take the whole summer off. Not even Queen Elizabeth II. She might be in Scotland but she must deal with official papers every day.
You've almost debunked your own critique there. As you yourself have said it is perfectly plausible and probably very likely that Rania is in fact dealing with official business, like QEII.

Moreover the Jordanian Royals do not take the whole summer off.

I bet you she still does a lot of shopping. And I wonder if her comment isn't a little self serving when it comes to the issue of cost. I'm sure some of her evening gowns are freebies but I'm skeptical about her day clothes.
Considering how people constantly bring up the issue of cost regarding her clothes I actually thought it was very smart to dispel the myth that she spends vast sums of money on her wardrobe.

She tends to wear items in succession by certain designers so it seems perfectly logical to me at least those items were freebies. After all, she's a high-profile figure and people are interested in her clothes. Plus designers often give free clothes away to high profile figures because it works in their favour.
Adamari said:
P.S. I don't know how to do the individual quotes so I have bolded my comments as they appear within the larger quote.

To do individual quotes write [quote then add the equals sign, then the poster's name and then close the brackets using this: ] There should be no spaces.
I hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
the jacket is by Burberry this season. She seems to be very fond recently of this combination of grey jacket and cream / white skirt.

It looks more like a mocha colour on my screen.

Oh ok. Did you see it in Harvey Nicks or Selfridges? I'll have to check it out next time I'm out shopping.

State Visit to Brunei

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/Royalty 2/MASRI_006.jpg
The jacket is new I think. I have to say I'm not keen on the overall look and think the jacket would have looked much better if worn with an evening outfit. It's a beautiful colour though.
i agree the colour of the jacket is beautiful and is more suitable in evening ,although i don't like this jacket at all.and her hair too who done it for her it's not hairdresser for sur:D

seems too casual, I think. Something she might wear at work in Jordan rather than a state visit to Brunei.

seems too casual, I think. Something she might wear at work in Jordan rather than a state visit to Brunei.

I agree. Might be only a visit to the museum but at the end of it this is a state visit & this outfit was way too casual. As you said, would work for a metting or an event in Jordan.

Might be too early to tell whether I like it or not. I have to see a few more pictures, or a full view. But to what I see, it looks too big/baggy on her. Though the color is beautiful !!

12th May 2008
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/News-37058.jpg

State Visit to Brunei

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/Royalty 2/MASRI_006.jpg
The jacket is new I think. I have to say I'm not keen on the overall look and think the jacket would have looked much better if worn with an evening outfit. It's a beautiful colour though.

Yes the jacket is new.

the jacket is by Burberry this season. She seems to be very fond recently of this combination of grey jacket and cream / white skirt.

It came down the runway in a coat & in a jacket. Comes also in a skirt & a dress.

Her latest outfit, at the University of Malaysia is another Dior jacket, same as the one she wore at the Sorbonne but in different colours. By coincidence, I saw it in the shops today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom