The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol_anglada
Can you post here the pictures of this hola magazine about Queen Rania?
Thanks
I'm sorry Sol_anglada if I had access to Hola magazine and the pictures, I would post them, but I don't. I just thought that it was unfair for them to do a comparison...well basically, I was looking at the article (which wasn't written by Hola, sorry) that was written comparing the two cp's, and it isn't right to elevate one, and deflate the other.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monamona
The article that talks about Rania as a fashion victim appears in ABC newspaper (not a tabloid) It was written by BEATRIZ CORTÁZAR. when CORTÁZAR said Rania was a fashion victim, she did not mean what you & Sommone meant as you can read from the ABC excerpt:

"..Rania de Jordania quien, aparte de monísima, es una «fashion victim» de las que no quedan. Rania usa y abusa de los valentinos, pradas, givenchys y guccis hasta en situaciones tan corrientes como pasear con sus hijos, hacer «footing» por algún puerto donde atraque su yate o ir a una reunión de una ONG con la alta costura como bandera..."

Translation as given by Elsa, M.:

" Rania of Jordan, who despite being a gorgeous woman, is a fashion victim, as there are few. Rania uses and abuses of the valentinos, pradas, givenchys and guccis,even in such current situations as strolling with her children, footing by the port where her yacht is anchored, or going to a meeting of a ONG (welfare organization), hanging on the high couture flag."

I have no interest in turning this into an arguement or debate because it would be unsuitable here and a waste of time. In fact, I didn't mean for it to go this far. I thought Hola magazine wrote the article, and they didn't. Thanks for correcting me. I will say this, and then I'm going to leave it alone.

I went back and reread the article, and I got the gist of what Beatriz Cortazar was trying to say, and I didn't then, and don't now agree with it. She had nothing but decent things to say about Letizia, and then took cheap shots at Rania based her observations of the spread Hola iniatially did on the two women. I have seen a collage of pictures put together of the two dressed similarly, and I couldn't figure out what the big whoop was all about? Many royals have worn similar if not the same outfits, and was a tabloid spread done on them? Not to my knowledge it wasn't.

Mrs. Cortazar was correct about one thing though, Letizia wouldn't like being compared to Rania or any other woman for that matter. She should have put vice versa, but that was never her intention so I'm going to add that myself. :) However, I do not think Rania would enjoy being called a fashion victim either. Any further discussion on this topic can be sent to my PM.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommone
Hola magazine was wrong for that, and I think they are hitting way below the belt. Like another member wrote in one of Letizia's threads, it is tacky of them, and I couldn't agree more. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I thought a fashion victim was someone who can't dress...or doesn't have any fashion sense...
Away from Rania, I thought to share what "fashion victim" means, I found this:

For starters, being labeled a "fashion victim" is not a good thing. Most fashion enthusiasts use the expression to criticize a man's dressing style; however, the term takes on different meanings when referring to different people. So what exactly does a fashion victim look like? Read on to find out.
what is a fashion victim?

Below are three definitions of the term "fashion victim."

The first definition comes from Karin Eldor, a fellow fashion correspondent at AskMen.com. She describes a fashion victim as "someone who takes all the trends of a given time and ends up looking like a store mannequin; in a word, absurd."

The second one is courtesy of a friend of mine, who I consider a sleek dresser. To her, a fashion victim is someone who:
a- only purchases brand-name apparel;
b- is a compulsive shopper;
c- will only consider wearing an item that is "the latest trend," regardless of whether he can pull it off or not.

I found a third definition on a fashion website while researching the expression. The definition states that a fashion victim is "someone who buys an outfit that is perfectly in style, but when he wears it, he looks perfectly ridiculous."

my definition

According to yours truly, the term "fashion victim" encompasses all of the above and more. A fashion victim is someone who wants to be trendy so badly that he'll buy whatever the fashion authorities claim is stylish (at the moment) and then combine it awkwardly, giving him an over-the-top style and making him stick out like a sore thumb... not a good thing.

If you've spotted a fashion victim on the street this summer, he'd be wearing a pink or yellow T-shirt, white knee-length pants with a pastel colored belt, white and pink flip-flops, and a pair of metallic shields (those sunglasses that look like protective eye gear). The lesson? If you want to look cool, don't overdo it.
A fashion victim is also someone who can't put himself together, whether his threads are worth $50 or $5,000, because he tries so hard to look hip. Don't get me wrong, looking sharp does require a certain amount of effort, but ultimately, your clothes have to fit right, and suit your style, image and personality. Remember, it's not about the clothes you wear -- it's about how you wear them.

To make matters worse, a fashion victim usually succumbs to social pressure. A good example is someone who catches David Beckham on the Late Show and suddenly feels the urge to go shopping and buy the same ripped jeans, navy blazer and pointy crocodile leather shoes, because Becks looked pretty cool during his interview. Fashion victims are also likely to purchase an expensive suit just because a slick salesman tells him "it's all the rage this season," without even paying attention to how the shoulders fit.

From http://askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip...on_advice.html
Old 02-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Courtier

As I was looking at many pictures of Rania vs. the original designer dress, I noticed that she apparently had some of the dresses "altered" to show less skin...While this may not come as a surprise to some, it did for me because I assumed many times that what she was wearing was an original. (I don't know much about fashion and designers) For instance, the dress she wore to PA and PR wedding. IMO, the dress didn't look right at all on her. Not because she was pregnant, but because the dress didn't look right at the top at all. After seeing the same dress the model was wearing, I realized she had had the dress altered. My guess is she liked the dress, had it altered so that it wouldn't reveal so much, and wore it, but never considered that in the process, she completely destroyed the look the designer had in mind...and created a not so good look for herself.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Nobility

Yes, rania changed the top of that dress.
On the model, the top is longer but transparent; on rania the top is little bit ticker but shorter (on shoulders, arms and chest).

I agree with you sommone. The original top is beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_SIROPcatwalk.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	90509   Click image for larger version

Name:	2883738.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	90548   Click image for larger version

Name:	rania dominique sirop dress.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	90549  
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir
On the model, the top is longer but transparent; on rania the top is little bit ticker but shorter (on shoulders, arms and chest).

I think i prefer the dress on Rania then on the model.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Courtier

the original dress is much more beautifull
Old 02-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Actually abir, I was talking about the pink dress with the white lace she wore to Prince Ali and Princess Rym's wedding. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, that she also changed the top part of the dress she wore to Felipe and Letizia's wedding. I actually liked that one.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:

Its interesting that the model on the runway was wearing the collar. I had thought that wearing it was Rania's own idea. The model is wearing it like a turtle neck and Rania has it on fastened at the neck and covering her shoulders.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Actually abir, I was talking about the pink dress with the white lace she wore to Prince Ali and Princess Rym's wedding. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, that she also changed the top part of the dress she wore to Felipe and Letizia's wedding. I actually liked that one.
sorry ... :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
Its interesting that the model on the runway was wearing the collar. I had thought that wearing it was Rania's own idea. The model is wearing it like a turtle neck and Rania has it on fastened at the neck and covering her shoulders.
At the beginning, I thought the same :)
I post down other pictures from the same designer Dominique Sirop; he opted the same style (collar) for other dresses.

The model wearing a bride dress with a veil is from the same designer/same collection ... to me it doesn't look very different of Rania' dress.
I believe guests usually avoid white/ivory colors, since only the bride (Letizia) could wear such colors :)
I may be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	762777_b.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	90651   Click image for larger version

Name:	762753_b.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	90652   Click image for larger version

Name:	2884041.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	90653  
Old 02-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=abir]sorry ... :o

No problem Abir.:) I thought Rania's dress was silver? It looked a light silver actually.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Royal Highness

I never agree when ppl say that Rania has great fashion sense or something similar. This is b/c she only wears designer clothes straight off of the rack. There is no originality in her fashion. It seems as though she does not do her own assembling or experimentation. Originality is true fashion sense to me.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I thought Rania's dress was silver? It looked a light silver actually.
Yes it is light silver.
My thought is white/light-silver/ivory colors are most for the bride not the guests.
Also I think the dress of rania is lighter than what the first model wears.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
I never agree when ppl say that Rania has great fashion sense or something similar. This is b/c she only wears designer clothes straight off of the rack. There is no originality in her fashion. It seems as though she does not do her own assembling or experimentation. Originality is true fashion sense to me.
there may be some truth in what you say. But a lot of Rania's dresses have her own unique little touches. What she wears, especially in terms of evening wear, is often not your run-of-the-mill gowns. Most of the time she modifies her clothing so it is more modest than what the models on the runway might be wearing. And it isnt just about covering up, she makes it look more stylish.
If you look at some of the pictures that have been posted here, of evening dresses in particular, you'll see what I mean. As for pant/skirt suits, it makes sense for her to wear them the way they are, there's no point in modifying them.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes it is light silver.
My thought is white/light-silver/ivory colors are most for the bride not the guests.
Also I think the dress of rania is lighter than what the first model wears.
but was the dress not at the pre dinner event?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Nobility

Thanks

Quote:
I'm sorry Sol_anglada if I had access to Hola magazine and the pictures, I would post them, but I don't. I just thought that it was unfair for them to do a comparison...well basically, I was looking at the article (which wasn't written by Hola, sorry) that was written comparing the two cp's, and it isn't right to elevate one, and deflate the other.
Thanks for your kind answer as well as the answer gien by Salma. Well my English is not very good and some times I have problems for understanding your messages. In my opinion media exagerate considerin Her Majesty as a fahion model. She has a great figure and is lucky for not having problems wearing want she wants. But I think that many other royals wear very well and no body compare them with fashion models.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Rania wearing a traditional top with a leather skirt, 2003
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	90781   Click image for larger version

Name:	77587.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	90782  
Old 02-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Rania at a Palestinian fundraiser in London, 2003
The dress has an interesting detail on the back
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	76674.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	90786   Click image for larger version

Name:	76676.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	90787  
Old 02-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Rania in Dubai, 2004
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rania09a.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	90791  
Old 02-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
but was the dress not at the pre dinner event?
Yes, you are right Josefine, it was at pre wedding gala dinner, not the actual wedding.

Closed Thread

Tags
accessories, bags, fashion, queen rania, scarves, shoes